• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Moveset Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
All of my matches were almost lagless, a few frames of lag. I even had some pretty playable matches with the Japanese. Good players are few and far between and FD is so boring to play on, though.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
My For Glory matches in general have been really good too, yet the majority of the people on my friends list give me some sort of significant lag.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
i've not bothered with it yet, net play with non-ranking is just terribru, even when going 1v1 with items XD
but also, can we confirm SAF from eruption 1 is gone? had a few times when using it then when ragnell strikes the ground, it still managed to be interrupted and knocked back
I am pretty sure it still has armor. Someone dash attacked me and it hit. I still did eruption.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
Custom quickdraw 2 has a much higher launch rate than default quickdraw 1 and 3.

Very useful for finishing people off.

Silver Forte

Smash Rookie
I have the game, new down tilt is amazing gotta say, it's not very strong but its a great interrupt, nice to have a fast attack besides jab. Acting out of quick draw hitting in the air has already saved me a few times, good change.

Having trouble fighting faster characters atm, I fought this sonic played that just spammed his spin dash to attack and get around and i swear the priority on it is way higher cause it was clashing with my f tilt.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Try Quickdraw against Spindashes.

I cannot seem to get Ike's SideB2. I've played Classic over 20 times so far. :(

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Try Quickdraw against Spindashes.

I cannot seem to get Ike's SideB2. I've played Classic over 20 times so far. :(
Yeah, when I said I got them all, I realized I didn't have side B too as well.

I have a feeling it's unlocked through challenges (cleared page 1, going to do page 2). I don't think side B 2 is a random drop.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Yeah, when I said I got them all, I realized I didn't have side B too as well.

I have a feeling it's unlocked through challenges (cleared page 1, going to do page 2). I don't think side B 2 is a random drop.
Yep, just got it. It's on the second set of challenges. Destroy 1000 boxes in Trophy Rush. The annoying part is you need to clear the first 35 challenges. -.-

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
They killed marth, so I turned to Ike. IMO he's received a huge buff. SHFF nair > jab ftw

mimicmatter

Smash Cadet
Thanks! Gonna do that now.
Yes I just got it, although I have tried QD3 and I find it quite good actually. It's as slow as it look, and you have super armor during the charge and during the move. So you use it on someone that is preparing a strong attack or is in the middle of an attack to have the advantage.

Of course, it doesn't move you a lot horizontaly, so to compensate, you should use Aether 2 with it !

Oh ! And one more thing !!!!! Nair is now faster ! But faster enough so that you don't SD yourself when you're getting push out of the platform. So you are able to make it back =D

Last edited:

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
Aggressive approaches with Ike aren't quite as useful as they used to be now that it seems like everyone and his mother has a counter move, which is a pain because NAir/FAir approaches are my habit. Until the Wii U version is out, I feel like I still have to play much more conservatively than I'd like to.

Aether9000

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else have trouble going in with Ike? I always get shield grabbed when I try to make a move. It's really frustrating.

mimicmatter

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else have trouble going in with Ike? I always get shield grabbed when I try to make a move. It's really frustrating.
You have to play tricky. Approach the enemy like you are going to dash attack but grab instead. You have to do something that the other doesn't read you.

gsninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gsninja
3DS FC
5455-9389-5386
Switch FC
1284 3127 1819
You have to play tricky. Approach the enemy like you are going to dash attack but grab instead. You have to do something that the other doesn't read you.
This. Essentially, you want to use basic mindgames instead of throwing out attacks all the time. Baiting opponents by feinting is also highly recommended.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Eruption is a little better than I thought without the super armor. Seems hard to avoid once it actually comes out, was able to hit someone trying to sweetspot the ledge when I was trying to use erption at around the same position in that video. You can also slide with eruption out of a run.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ike isn't as bad as I expected him to be honestly, you just gotta have a lot of patience. D-Tilt is actually a very good move now with its newfound speed and seems to catch a lot of people off-guard. I don't think he's great by any means, but he can work to some extent at least.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Fun fact, Ike runs around as fast as Marth.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
I confirm that eruption can hit people out of their UpB before they grab the ledge. The hitbow below the edge is enormous. It's probably character dependant, but it worked on WFT and Rosalina and a couple others.

It's actually getting me excited for Ike.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
So me and John#s were playing around and we noticed that Ike's pivot grab range seems to be large. You could try using that on faster opponents trying to dash in, such as Shulk with the speed Monado. Maybe it could work on Sonic as well? It depends on whether or not Ike can grab outside of the spindash. Also, Counter 3 so fun in FFAs. How fast are the counter frames out? It feels faster than normal, but not entirely sure. Might run that if that's the case.

D

Deleted member 269706

Gah, am I the only one that thinks his smash attacks feel slower than they did in Brawl? I'm having a real hard time finishing off opponents in For Glory mode...I mean, when he hits, it devastates the opponent, but actually getting the hit is another story...Honestly, Ike's just too slow for me to use him well. It feels like even Bowser can out preform Ike in terms of speed. Maybe I'm just using the wrong moves right now, but don't fair well against most of the faster players...The counter and Smash Attacks have way too much build up/cool down time...

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Gah, am I the only one that thinks his smash attacks feel slower than they did in Brawl? I'm having a real hard time finishing off opponents in For Glory mode...I mean, when he hits, it devastates the opponent, but actually getting the hit is another story...Honestly, Ike's just too slow for me to use him well. It feels like even Bowser can out preform Ike in terms of speed. Maybe I'm just using the wrong moves right now, but don't fair well against most of the faster players...The counter and Smash Attacks have way too much build up/cool down time...
F-Smash is slow as hell, but U-Smash is a good finisher provided that you are good at reading your opponent. I'm not sure about D-Smash because I keep forgetting it exists.

Personally I like using bair, fair, and u-tilt to finish of opponents more than his smashes.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The only Smash you should be using on Ike is U-smash...generally speaking.

Use it to chase landings and cover options at the edge.

I can't really think of a good use for F-smash personally, while D-smash is sorta fast and does pretty big damage (about 18%) when it does hit making it a choice for whiff punishing, though it doesn't really have any applications outside of just being a high damage punish.

Ike in this game has better tilts, so it's worth trying to use those a bit more often.

Last edited:

-RedX-

Smash Lord
1st hit of Dsmash does 14%.
Dtilt and Utilt are my favorite tilts so far. Haven't been using Ftilt too often.

Silver Forte

Smash Rookie
I've been having good success with pivoted f tilts, and down tilt needs to be used, a lot. Something I've been doing is n air-d tilt for pressure, and it has gotten me good results so far.

D

Deleted member 269706

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help, I'll let you know how I'm doing a little later on. In all honesty, I do use the smash attacks wayy more than I should, so experimenting with the noted aerials and tilts will be something I'm gonna start doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

danyo

Smash Rookie
Does dair actually make a difference with momentum canceling in this game? Can't tell the difference. Also not as quick to execute because of not having a c-stick.

Also haven't been able to pull off a sliding reverse usmash yet. Ike either skids or does a usmash in the expected direction.

Last edited:

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Is it just me, or did Ike's fair get nerfed?

Practically the first thing I noticed when I picked the game (and him) up was that it felt like fair was covering much less space, and doing it much less snappily than in Brawl. And then I noticed just how much knockback it wasn't doing, and the new animation, and and and... It just feels so wrong.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445

Practically the first thing I noticed when I picked the game (and him) up was that it felt like fair was covering much less space, and doing it much less snappily than in Brawl. And then I noticed just how much knockback it wasn't doing, and the new animation, and and and... It just feels so wrong.
Not nerfed just changed. It's essentially a forward Nair.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

At least it has less landing lag than it did in Brawl so its not completely nerfed. But I agree with you on the animation it looks...odd.

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
"Ugh the muscles pain is real guess I'll just swing it a bit shorter this time around"

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071

Hoo boy. The edgeguarding is real. Not sure if this is something you can actually do on purpose though.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014

Hoo boy. The edgeguarding is real. Not sure if this is something you can actually do on purpose though.
Very nice. Looks like Aether spiking is still possible. It may seem impractical, but, then again, the new ledge mechanics would surely benefit this maneuver, thanks to the removal of edge-hogging.

^-^

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Does dair actually make a difference with momentum canceling in this game? Can't tell the difference. Also not as quick to execute because of not having a c-stick.

Also haven't been able to pull off a sliding reverse usmash yet. Ike either skids or does a usmash in the expected direction.
Hit the jump button before you do the upsmash.

It's a slower animation, so I find myself landing before the hitbox comes around. That might be why it feels weird.

PyroTakun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ta-kun
So anyone else notice how Ike kept his Brawl grab animations? He grabs females by the hands, males by the throat.

Ike for gentleman tier confirmed?

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
Did Ike's Up Smash have a weak hitbox that only does 11% in Brawl? I've had this hit a couple of times, and it's really frustrating not getting a smash to kill at 144%.

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Did Ike's Up Smash have a weak hitbox that only does 11% in Brawl? I've had this hit a couple of times, and it's really frustrating not getting a smash to kill at 144%.
Where in the animation was the hit? I've tried to recreate it and I only get 17 damage hits that kill Ganon at around ~120.

LonkQ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ammoro
It was diagonally in the back. The move shouldn't be stale either, I used Usmash 3-4 times at most in these fights and the hit barely sends them flying. And it only happens occasionally, I have matches where I use Usmash way more but it hits for the full 17% like usual.

Now that I got another match where it happened, it seems like the weak hitbox is inside of Ike. So basically, you only want to hit with the sword part of Up Smash or something of the sort.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom