• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Moveset Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hong

The Strongest
Yeah. Still no B + Forward.

Honestly, if his normals are at least on par with Marth, I'll be content.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
If Bowser's getting a speed boost, one would think Ike is as well. But Sakurai works in mysterious ways.

Hong

The Strongest
If Bowser's getting a speed boost, one would think Ike is as well. But Sakurai works in mysterious ways.
Samus and Link as well. So far, slow has been shown to be less slow.

We know Ike will be faster due to the design philosophy going forward, though I think Ike will require more than the two aforementioned. With Bowser, half of his kit seems to be changed, so it's hard to judge with him.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Samus and Link as well. So far, slow has been shown to be less slow.

We know Ike will be faster due to the design philosophy going forward, though I think Ike will require more than the two aforementioned. With Bowser, half of his kit seems to be changed, so it's hard to judge with him.
I suppose. We'll know soon enough what Ike's buffs are; there will probably be some video of him in action at E3.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Wasn't Eruption the first special move of Ike's that was revealed in great detail on the old Dojo!! site? I know it was revealed early on. Seems like history repeated itself, if I'm remembering right.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Aether and Eruption were in the same update. However Aether was shown I believe the second Ike was revealed, and in the update featuring both Aether saw much more pictures and info.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Well based on the recent PotD, looks like F-Air is back. Evidence based upon his landing animation I believe.

Last edited:

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
It's the landing animation of Aether.

Sakurai is obsessed with showing it off.
It's difficult for me to tell, but it definitely looks like one or the other. I'm inclined to say it is his Forward Aerial attack, considering the distance Marth was sent flying in the picture. Then again, Aether's knockback properties may have been buffed.

^-^

Hong

The Strongest

Did you know Ike from Fire Emblem has a signature move known as "Aether"?

I bet you didn't. Well guess what: his signature move, "Aether", has returned! It's a bit of a surprise, so I've waited this long to show it off. Ike is a super strong character from the Fire Emblem universe, and wields two arms with one sword. In Fire Emblem, he uses his signature move, "Aether", to cut down dragons and other Fire Emblem things.

I don't know much else about the character, unfortunately. I figure Ike fans would like to know that his signature move, "Aether", is in the game because that is what they want to see. In fact, I'll make sure that "Great Aether" is also his final smash, because "Aether" is what Ike does best and that's the entirety of his fighting style and thus a greater "Aether" is surely all we can do with the character.

- Sakurai

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
It's difficult for me to tell, but it definitely looks like one or the other. I'm inclined to say it is his Forward Aerial attack, considering the distance Marth was sent flying in the picture. Then again, Aether's knockback properties may have been buffed.

^-^
My thoughts exactly.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Regardless since it could easily be Aether-landing I'm not going to take that picture as confirmation of anything.

In fact, y'all can crack open Brawl, do an Aether with Ike and do a side-by-side comparison for yourselves.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Regardless since it could easily be Aether-landing I'm not going to take that picture as confirmation of anything.

In fact, y'all can crack open Brawl, do an Aether with Ike and do a side-by-side comparison for yourselves.
Even then it likely has been updated slightly, so there's no guarantee its the same.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Eh, whether it's Aether or F-Air, I'm just happy that it's Marth being launched in the air like that and not Ike.

D

Deleted member 212841

Just wanted to chime in to say it's not just aether. I know in the direct all of the fights pretty much just had the characters spamming the same basic move over and over. He seems to be quite hesitant about displaying the moves a character has. Probably cause he's still in the process of balancing and polishing and he doesn't want people to flip out over unfinished movesets.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
Just wanted to chime in to say it's not just aether. I know in the direct all of the fights pretty much just had the characters spamming the same basic move over and over. He seems to be quite hesitant about displaying the moves a character has. Probably cause he's still in the process of balancing and polishing and he doesn't want people to flip out over unfinished movesets.
This is quite a good observation. Fox tended to spam Illusion for most of his appearances in the Direct. It's likely the same type of deal, where Ike is still being polished so he isn't show-casing any of his other moves. Or it could be a case like Zelda's Phantom where something has changed drastically and he'd rather explain it via video. I doubt it's that though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Would like this to happen to. Am sure they'll speed Ike up somewhat but he won't be a speedstar. When Ike got revealed, Sakurai stated Ike's design fits his powerful attacks better, so am sure Ike will probably be a slow powerhouse again. I'd take any boosts in speed though!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Would like this to happen to. Am sure they'll speed Ike up somewhat but he won't be a speedstar. When Ike got revealed, Sakurai stated Ike's design fits his powerful attacks better, so am sure Ike will probably be a slow powerhouse again. I'd take any boosts in speed though!
Slow powerhouse refers to Ike's actual attacks. However, Ike's slow movement really hinders him. Speeding his running speed up a bit would really help improve his fighting capabilities without changing his mechanics too much.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think they'll buff up his running speed to. They pretty much always have done this with the heavy weights. Look at Donkey Kong for example. Each game he appears in he is faster than the last one.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Agreed. I also think that if K. Rool was added, he'd be a heavyweight but would be fast on his feet. Ike definitely needs the speed boost and I definitely think he'll get it. I doubt he'll be faster than Marth, but even that is plausible since Marth has fast attacks; Ike's attacks are slow, but powerful, so perhaps Ike could end up faster than Marth on the ground but with slower attacks.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So apparently Fox's Side-B doesn't send him into freefall any more. Could that mean Quick Draw might be the same way now, if it's back?

That alone could be worth half a tier.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So apparently Fox's Side-B doesn't sent him into freefall any more. Could that mean Quick Draw might be the same way now, if it's back?

That alone could be worth half a tier.
That would be cool, although I'm wondering if it might even be removed (since it hasn't been shown off yet) and replaced by something else, and Chrom gets a similar move. We'll see, though. I'd like Quick Draw to no longer put Ike into free fall.

That said, Fox was also nerfed in his overall power, so keep that in mind.

D

Deleted member 212841

IIRC Sakurai said somewhere recently that he only balances the game for 4-player FFAs and not 1V1. Considering how many complaints Ike had of being cheap in that format, he might just get nerfed instead of buffed.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
IIRC Sakurai said somewhere recently that he only balances the game for 4-player FFAs and not 1V1. Considering how many complaints Ike had of being cheap in that format, he might just get nerfed instead of buffed.
I think you heard wrong. Sakurai acknowledged the fact that some characters will be better in 1v1 and others in 4-player vs. I don't recall Sakurai saying anything about balancing only in 4-player FFAs and not 1V1.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I'm still hoping that Eruption can magically be cut and we get something else. The flames aren't even blue and that's almost as upsetting as leaving us with a situational move. I appreciate the character design changes, but it's evident he didn't go deep into FE enough to know that...*sigh* let me stop before I end up typing up an essay.

So what's the standing here? Eruption replacement, adding in the "Luna" part of Aether, Quick-Draw enhancement, and buffed speed? I'm also wondering what his aerial cooldown time is going to be like in this iteration. Hm.

I really just want Ike to be a boss. At the very least, better than Marth...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm still hoping that Eruption can magically be cut and we get something else. The flames aren't even blue and that's almost as upsetting as leaving us with a situational move. I appreciate the character design changes, but it's evident he didn't go deep into FE enough to know that...*sigh* let me stop before I end up typing up an essay.

So what's the standing here? Eruption replacement, adding in the "Luna" part of Aether, Quick-Draw enhancement, and buffed speed? I'm also wondering what his aerial cooldown time is going to be like in this iteration. Hm.

I really just want Ike to be a boss. At the very least, better than Marth...
I hate that idea, actually. Eruption SHOULD be red because its based on Bolganone. Ike's Final Smash should have blue flames, but Eruption shouldn't.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I hate that idea, actually. Eruption SHOULD be red because its based on Bolganone. Ike's Final Smash should have blue flames, but Eruption shouldn't.
See, I would agree, but Ike nor Ragnell have fire powers, so basically the Smash series gave Ike's Eruption its explosive effect. Ike can't use Bolganone since he's not a mage, so I'd rather have any sort of flame that comes from a move be blue based off of Yune's blessing. That's my reasoning anyway, however, I do understand the Bolganone reference, I'm just not a fan of it. Basically blue flames or bust *shrugs*

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It doesn't bother me as much when I think about it that way.

Honestly, although I always thought the blue fire would be cool, it really adds up to nothing important either way.

The Bolganone thing just seems to be a case of Ness and Lucas' special moves. Is it kinda lame? Yeah. But it's just one move. Consider that Ness and Lucas have it a lot worse. So really, can you pitch a fit over it? Sure, but I don't see the point. It's done. It's just one move. We might have other changes to be excited about later on. Ike is the only character so far with no video footage whatsoever. When it finally happens, we'll have lots to talka bout. Stuff that actually matters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Agreed. I really hope to see Ike in footage soon. And I really do hope his Final Smash has been updated to have him raise his sword with blue flames spreading around him.

Basically, other than Eruption, Ike's moveset is perfect and fits his overall fighting style just fine. Maybe increase his running speed, but other than that, I think Ike is well-represented.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Seeing no footage of Ike is pretty depressing. Especially since he is my main above all others. People are talking about an August direct, and that would be the last one before the 3DS version dropped, so if we don't get anything during the direct, then looks like we'll have to wait all the way until launch. And that's not all too good for the boards though since things will continue to be pretty dead around here.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Seeing no footage of Ike is pretty depressing. Especially since he is my main above all others. People are talking about an August direct, and that would be the last one before the 3DS version dropped, so if we don't get anything during the direct, then looks like we'll have to wait all the way until launch. And that's not all too good for the boards though since things will continue to be pretty dead around here.
Nah, Ike will probably show up next time. I think he was announced too late for him to appear at E3. Funny how everyone was speculating that Ike and Coliseum being announced before E3 meant a Fire Emblem character announcement, but nope.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Nah, Ike will probably show up next time. I think he was announced too late for him to appear at E3. Funny how everyone was speculating that Ike and Coliseum being announced before E3 meant a Fire Emblem character announcement, but nope.

That's probably right.

And yeah, I remember people saying that it was "Fire Emblem Week" and we were going to either be getting Chrom or Robin, but no dice. This wait is killing me though. The wait for August is long enough. Here's to hoping he'll at least be included in several more PotDs. Hopefully we catch a glimpse of an aerial or something since we don't have any of his aerials confirmed just yet.

D

Deleted member 212841

Custom moves can give hope to Ike fans who dislike Eruption, although that'll depend on whether the community will allow them in tournaments.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
That's a little too obvious for Sakurai, I suppose. Hopefully, we'll at least get some info on him in some POTDs before the next Direct.

D

Deleted member 212841

On the bright side we know about next ot nothing so it can be just about anything that is buffed to make Ike better than he was before.

Although, if he keeps the Bair from Brawl, that'll mesh well with the new ledge mechanics. Just hop on it and pop them off then bair them away before they can do a thing. Hard to miss when it comes out that fast and has that long of a reach.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, the funny thing is, we finally get Ike footage... but we only get a very BRIEF glimpse of him. I really was hoping Ike and Marth would have a greater focus in the inevitable FE trailer, but nope, they decided to use Captain Falcon instead. Which is still awesome anyway.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
In the Robin/Lucina trailer...when Ike appears around 2:07 he seems to have blue flames.
But yeah still waiting to see real gameplay of him.

Edit:Oh sry did not see the other topic about Eruption being blue...so nevermind.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom