• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Moveset Speculation/Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I can do without eruption. I wonder what changes sakurai is making to aether. Maybe it will heal him like it does in awakening

NWRL

Smash Ace
I feel like I'm the only person who likes Eruption. It is a great move in P:M. It is one of the only moves in the game to allow you to break out of juggles and combos.
Speaking strictly about Brawl eruption

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am thinking Aether will get massive buffs, and we might see no more Eruption. Other than that, am expecting not too many changes. But those alone could do a lot.

Also, am late but Ike looks sooo damn awesome! Love his design to. Love that he's bak, and am definitely gonna use him again! :4myfriends:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I don't know, Aether doesn't need anything massive. It's armor is pretty great; all it really needs is a little more lateral distance. More like Kirby's instead of straight up and down.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
This isn't strictly moveset related, but I'm noticing a lot more care being given to facial expressions as a whole. Ike's in particular are very angry and fierce, in pretty sharp contrast to his rather blank expressions in Brawl. I think I like this change, but what about y'all? I can certainly see Ike's face furrowed in rage and determination in combat, but PoR Ike post-promotion always had a cool, almost lazy stance and feel about him, as though taking away another's life with a flick of Ragnell was a mere trifle. Until he flipped out and used Aether of course.

Hong

The Strongest
Ike is notorious for the fact he is always scowling (he can't help it). I like that they represent his demeanour in his neutral facial expression.

I was SO SALTY with Ike in Brawl. It felt like no one in the design process had any idea of who the character was, and IS just gave them a character dossier and some research materials. Honestly, I don't think even his victory lines particularly suit the character. AS MUCH AS THE SMASH COMMUNITY LOVES THEM, the gag was not worth the distortion of the character. Distortion can happen in moves and artistic interpretation as the product sees fit, the overall design and their personality should be true to the character. That said, I would be 100% okay if they kept those lines as a rare occurrence as a throw-back.

Ike looks really handsome in Smash 4. His design is above and beyond much of what we have seen from the other fighters. That said, I am still on guard, and going to wait to see him in action before I get too hype.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Ike is notorious for the fact he is always scowling (he can't help it). I like that they represent his demeanour in his neutral facial expression.

I was SO SALTY with Ike in Brawl. It felt like no one in the design process had any idea of who the character was, and IS just gave them a character dossier and some research materials. Honestly, I don't think even his victory lines particularly suit the character. AS MUCH AS THE SMASH COMMUNITY LOVES THEM, the gag was not worth the distortion of the character. Distortion can happen in moves and artistic interpretation as the product sees fit, the overall design and their personality should be true to the character. That said, I would be 100% okay if they kept those lines as a rare occurrence as a throw-back.

Ike looks really handsome in Smash 4. His design is above and beyond much of what we have seen from the other fighters. That said, I am still on guard, and going to wait to see him in action before I get too hype.
Agreed.

"You'll get no sympathy from me," as cool of a one-liner as it is, is actually the reverse of the truth for most of Ike's interactions. Ike is an incredibly sympathetic person. Very compassionate and accepting. The people he DOES have zero patience for are the out-and-out rotten, evil people, like Oliver. He even tries to talk sense into Ashnard, of all people. Ike is just a really upstanding guy.

"I fight for my friends" is kinda funny and fitting, though a bit corny, ha ha.

This isn't strictly moveset related, but I'm noticing a lot more care being given to facial expressions as a whole. Ike's in particular are very angry and fierce, in pretty sharp contrast to his rather blank expressions in Brawl. I think I like this change, but what about y'all? I can certainly see Ike's face furrowed in rage and determination in combat, but PoR Ike post-promotion always had a cool, almost lazy stance and feel about him, as though taking away another's life with a flick of Ragnell was a mere trifle. Until he flipped out and used Aether of course.
I do love the more expressive faces. It just looks like it should have always been this way, y'know? I guess with HD graphics, you kind of have to put in the extra care. Going back to Brawl screenshots and seeing DeDeDe's emotionless face was kinda shocking to me, after he was revealed in Smash 4. Like, at first, I saw all of DeDeDe's expressions, and I though, "What's the big deal? Didn't he always look like this?" Like I said, I was shocked to find out that no, the facial expressions are all brand new.

BUT, Ike was not a heartless killer. He had compassion for everyone, even his enemies. That moral character of his is one of the biggest reasons I loved him as a character in Path of Radiance. Ike is a man well-acquainted with sorrow, so he understands the hurt of others. He is merciless when dealing with the merciless, however. And don't you dare lay a finger on his friends.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Not entirely sure that's Counter. Compare it to Ike's guard pose from Brawl and you'll find it match's a lot better. Also, the other in game counters we've seen (Marth's and Mac's) have a sound-wave-esque visual effect noting that the counter has been triggered. It's possible this is just a shot taken before that, but I'm not entirely convinced of that.
It's 100% his counter. Look at the blue line above his head. We have seen that both Little Mac and Marth have a similar effect go off when thier counters connect.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
It's 100% his counter. Look at the blue line above his head. We have seen that both Little Mac and Marth have a similar effect go off when thier counters connect.
I'm not unwilling to rule out that it may be Ike's shield pose before the shield actually manifests. Could be a powershield. However Counter's return is such a no-brainer that it'll be in the moveset OP until actively disconfirmed.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Marth's counter for comparison:

Seems like counter to me, although there is a chance it could be his guard.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Never noticed the blue line. I'd consider that proof, to me. The "heartbeat" line is a common anime trope that denotes a character making a split-second reaction, or even an extrasensory perception. In Japan, the visual effect makes a lot of sense. I like it. Gives it some much-needed flair.

Ike's Counter was kinda sucky, though. Maybe it can be more useful, now?

Hong

The Strongest
It would be cool if Counters were at least unique if they insist on making a tradition of it, like maybe one of the counters could have the defender grab the opponent.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
It could be Counter, yes. The only instance of the Counter wave we have in motion is from Mac using Counter in the Direct and Mac's Counter line is red as opposed to Marth's blue. from an earlier screen-shot. I'm not terribly concerned either way, but thought I'd at least point out that the pose mirrors his guard posture from Brawl . Comparing Marth's Counter screen to Ike's does make it look more like Ike's Counter just captured at an earlier frame, but I'd think the sound-wave squiggly's would've started to appear at that point in the animation instead of just a straight blue line.

But hey, what do I know? I'm probably wrong anyway.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It would be cool if Counters were at least unique if they insist on making a tradition of it, like maybe one of the counters could have the defender grab the opponent.
I know there are a lot of non-Fire-Emblem counterattack moves in Smash, but for the FE characters at least, they make a lot of sense. Counterattacking is one of the biggest parts of the gameplay, after all, and Counter is even a skill in the game, if you feel that the Enemy Phase doesn't constitute a counterattack.

Not sure how I feel about countering into a grab, but something different than a simple sword swing would be refreshing. Maybe a combo attack? Like, 2-3 hits? That's be nice for Ike. Marth has Dancing Blade for "looking incredible" purposes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

Something that lets him approach and start combo chains (projectile or buffed Quick Draw) assuming the rest of his moves have big start up lag again.

Hong

The Strongest
I know there are a lot of non-Fire-Emblem counterattack moves in Smash, but for the FE characters at least, they make a lot of sense. Counterattacking is one of the biggest parts of the gameplay, after all, and Counter is even a skill in the game, if you feel that the Enemy Phase doesn't constitute a counterattack.

Not sure how I feel about countering into a grab, but something different than a simple sword swing would be refreshing. Maybe a combo attack? Like, 2-3 hits? That's be nice for Ike. Marth has Dancing Blade for "looking incredible" purposes.
Depends.

Like, imagine if Marth in Melee had a counter-to-grab. In 19/20 situations, that would be far more valuable, because the character has so many potentially lethal options from grabs. So in that sense, the rest of the character has to be tuned so that they either have good throws, or good options out of the throws themselves.

With Ike, the style of Counter Roy established, with a singular punishing blow, works for the character since he does not rely on combos as heavily.

Hong

The Strongest
I really hope Quick Draw sees some revision.

I think the attacking portion should be entirely optional, with the press of the B button. Allowing Ike to move quickly is not even out of the question, either. Characters like Captain Falcon can not only inherently move faster, but can dash dance, jump out of dash, grab, etc. Simply letting our boy Ike get some tools to be able to safely earn some respect in a fight is not asking for too much, is it? I am okay if he has slower attacks than other characters, but at least give him some mobility.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
While today's PotD wasn't exactly very interesting for Ike (besides his awesomeness while pulling a Buzz Lightyear) it did mention one little tid bit. The rocket belt is great for characters with weaker recoveries....and pictured was Ike.

Something tells me we won't be able to act off his Side B....again. Of course, nothing's confirmed, but its something to be mindful of in the future.

D

Deleted member 212841

Oh, what about a strong and varied grab game? With those arms I don't think it's too wild to be asking that he can slug his opponents around however he likes, whether it be chain grabs or setups into one of his stronger moves.

Also, am I the only one that isn't *that* interested in seeing a Quick Draw buff like in P:M, etc. Obviously not going to complain if he gets it, but I also feel like it would be cool to see another approach to making Ike a solid character simply because the Quick Draw route was already done.

I guess you could even say it makes sense to do it a different way this time around seeing as Quick Draw was his critical hit animation that was exclusive to PoR (correct me if I'm wrong, didn't play RD that often) so it's kinda in character to do something else with this RD model.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Oh, what about a strong and varied grab game? With those arms I don't think it's too wild to be asking that he can slug his opponents around however he likes, whether it be chain grabs or setups into one of his stronger moves.

Also, am I the only one that isn't *that* interested in seeing a Quick Draw buff like in P:M, etc. Obviously not going to complain if he gets it, but I also feel like it would be cool to see another approach to making Ike a solid character simply because the Quick Draw route was already done.

I guess you could even say it makes sense to do it a different way this time around seeing as Quick Draw was his critical hit animation that was exclusive to PoR (correct me if I'm wrong, didn't play RD that often) so it's kinda in character to do something else with this RD model.
I feel like it will be buffed, but not in the same way as P:M.

D

Deleted member 212841

I feel like it will be buffed, but not in the same way as P:M.
Oh, I understand that. It's just a common request to have a cancel able Quick Draw like you see in P:M and I'm personally more interested in seeing a different sort of buff that puts Ike up in the top tiers. Although, I guess that's just kinda wasted breath since it's obvious Sakurai isn't just going to slap together a P:M Ike knock off and call it a day. Still, something neat and flashy over Eruption + better frame data and grabs could be a really nice way to keep that unique Ike flavor while staying hipster from all the other interpretations.

Hong

The Strongest
Today's post could imply Ike does not have the best recovery.

I am okay with this if they go with the Little Mac route, and give him a good neutral game at the cost of poor recovery.

D

Deleted member 212841

Speaking of his recovery, I heard Aether was hard as balls to edgeguard or something but could he also ledge stall with it safely? Would be a neat defensive option if he could go to the edge and then just start flipping around waiting for the opponent to try to approach that giant sword of his.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Speaking of his recovery, I heard Aether was hard as balls to edgeguard or something but could he also ledge stall with it safely? Would be a neat defensive option if he could go to the edge and then just start flipping around waiting for the opponent to try to approach that giant sword of his.
It depends. If you're fighting for control of the ledge, Aether is risky. If they trump you with their invincibility, and you miss the edge, you're spiking yourself into the abyss below.

Hong

The Strongest
In Brawl. if you drop off the ledge and perform Aether repeatedly, after the sixth time Ike will stop grabbing the ledge until he resumes a neutral position.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

It depends. If you're fighting for control of the ledge, Aether is risky. If they trump you with their invincibility, and you miss the edge, you're spiking yourself into the abyss below.
Oh, had no clue on the finer details to know if it outlasted the invincibility frames from grabbing ledge or if you could choose to land on stage if you see them grab ledge. (or if the landing lag from doing so wouldn't leave you vulnerable regardless)

also that 6th and drop bit is p lame :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
In Brawl. if you drop off the ledge and perform Aether repeatedly, after the sixth time Ike will stop grabbing the ledge until he resumes a neutral position.
Now THIS I did not know. What a totally random anti-ledge-hog measure. Man, Brawl just... gets on my nerves.

Hong

The Strongest
@Melee Mewtwo @ Aninymouse Aninymouse , really? I think all recoveries should have anti-stall mechanics. Then again, now that they are tweaking ledge invincibility, it might not be necessary.

For the record, I am a competitive 64 player and have been playing it competitively even during the Melee days. As such, I am naturally biased against defensive options. :b

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
@Melee Mewtwo @ Aninymouse Aninymouse , really? I think all recoveries should have anti-stall mechanics. Then again, now that they are tweaking ledge invincibility, it might not be necessary.

For the record, I am a competitive 64 player and have been playing it competitively even during the Melee days. As such, I am naturally biased against defensive options. :b
I'm not a fan of ledge hogging, don't get me wrong. But putting an arbitrary limit on it like, "you can only do it 6 times," just irks me. Who's to say 6 was the fairest number? Why not 2? Or 5? That's all.

If Sakurai doesn't want people ledge hogging with Aether, then make it so the lag makes it hard to spam.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Ike has basically the exact same recovery in PM and it's one of the best in the game.

The engine is everything.

Also, I don't think he (or we) realize that Ike got a significant buff with the ledge-snatch mechanic. Aether stalls at the Apex for a pretty long time and even with Wavedashing and fixed invincibility frames in PM it's very hard to properly time and edgehog Ike. Between super-armor, how low Ike can afford to drop and Aether's execution time I expect we'll have a much easier time getting back ... and Aether was never a particularly **** recovery move to begin with.

If Quick-Draw is left unchanged though I will give up on this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom