• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike E3 1.0.8 Patch changes + discussion

Locke17

Smash Rookie
It is amazing how when I'm exhausted and favor offensive play, I do absolutely terrible with Ike. But when I'm wide awake and play more conservatively, I tend to destroy many solid players. You really need to be awake to play Smash/Ike.
I agree with every word you said, that's why I sometimes need to take a break from this game so I can have a different perspective on things. When I come back to playing I pretty much always win.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
It's almost been a month and I still can't get over how much of an improvement dash attack got. Having just now faced the first Rosalina who knew what they were doing on FG since the patch, I found it sends Luma surprisingly far now - like almost half the distance of FD. It's still punishable, of course, but it's REALLY good at killing it early.
I was playing yesterday, and actually ending about half of my matches with a Dash Attack KO. I don't think I've ever pulled that off pre-1.08. I love that I can approach with another option and have it scare the crap out of my opponent.

It is amazing how when I'm exhausted and favor offensive play, I do absolutely terrible with Ike. But when I'm wide awake and play more conservatively, I tend to destroy many solid players. You really need to be awake to play Smash/Ike.
I just got back from a 3 week hiatus (mostly due to real life) and the rest has improved my game a bit. You mind has more experience outside of Smash that can be applied, the rest makes the your awareness sharper, and over all you have better perspective. Muscle memory can suffer slightly though. I've had a few times where I wanted to dash into a U-smash and ended up dash attacking, which isn't helping me. Luckily, that should correct itself after a little more practice.

I am loving these new hitboxes! Fought a decent Shiek that I was able to actually go toe-to-toe against most of the time since I could better space her aerials and keep up with her ground game now.

goose32

Smash Cadet
Very much agree :) I'll have some times where I'm just not on point, and I realize I'm just being careless with Ike and get combo'd all over the stage.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
So, like... are we good now? People keep theorycrafting that Ike is good at this point, but I haven't seen the results to back it up.

This is honest inquiry, I'm a fan of Ike and would love to hear "Yeah, he's good now and here's your proof. If you weren't spending much time with him due to how he was back in 1.0.0, come back, the character's no longer going to hold you back".

goose32

Smash Cadet
So, like... are we good now? People keep theorycrafting that Ike is good at this point, but I haven't seen the results to back it up.

This is honest inquiry, I'm a fan of Ike and would love to hear "Yeah, he's good now and here's your proof. If you weren't spending much time with him due to how he was back in 1.0.0, come back, the character's no longer going to hold you back".
Ike's been thought of as a trash character for so long, I doubt most will change their opinions of him until he starts being used in higher profile tournaments.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I'm not worried about popular opinion.

I'm worried about whether Ike can hold his own against Sheik, Fox, ZSS, Pikachu, Sonic, Rosalina, etc. at this point.

Popular opinion will follow.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
That's why it's so important we get tournament representation and make top 8. I'll be attending Summer Jam in Philly, NY this August. And trying to attend at least four tourneys per year (funds are limited).

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Ike's worst MUs are Sheik, Rosalina and ZSS. Fox is doable if you read the dash attacks, and Sonic is close to even offline.

xStarLordx

Smash Rookie
NNID
Caim-Ike
3DS FC
0963-0614-0356
I still think Ike is still outclassed by the majority of the cast,But then again...he has always been on that position.

Starfall11

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-1720-3560
I still think Ike is still outclassed by the majority of the cast,But then again...he has always been on that position.
Why do you main Ike then? It's better to have confidence in your character. At least in my opinion. No offense meant by this.

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
I don't know if the patch changes are picked up from reverse engineering frame data or whatever so pardon me if my question sounds oblivious, but...

Prior to the 1.0.8 patch I used to be able to short hop bair > fade back and immediately repeat in quick succession. The result was Ike bouncing backwards bairing across an entire stage like a spinning pogo stick with what seemed like no landing lag. He'd be back in the air as quick as he landed.

Now that I've had time to play around on 1.0.8 extensively, I can't seem to do it anymore. I used to be able to do it indefinitely but now the most I've gotten is two in a row.

Was more landing lag added to bair, or has the timing for auto canceling it changed, or is there a game-wide mechanics change with sliding on landing? I'm positive that something in the new update is preventing me from doing this super easy (albeit almost completely useless) zoning tactic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom