• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That heavy sigh Brett exposed to deal out his frustrations showed great realism and range in his acting ability. The feint lip quiver Brett displayed, while lost in his thoughts towards the end reminded me of a great prodigy I once met in the hills of Budapest. That man displayed talent that I hadn't seen until today.

Also the distant voice sounded like this on my laptop speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I think marth will always be a top tier character. Looks likes theres **** all changes, so I'll probably use him for any release tournaments to gain coinage

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Telling you now, if they make alternate costumes a reality, i'll probably main Marth with Lucina costume
I'm actually in support of it too. I was surprised at the prospect at first but I see that the actual idea is, in and of itself, rather appealing.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Question, in my search for knowledge as a human smash encyclopedia, I was randomly cruising the wiki looking at things like glitches and such, when I came across Ike's grab glitch then went to Ike's page where it says he goes even with Ice Climbers.

Can someone explain this to me? I find it difficult to believe!

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Spaced moves are unpunishable; Ike's fair>a lot of ics' stuff; quick throws=possibility to easily desynch them; desynch=dead nana at % as early as 25%. Among other stuff.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Ike can separate them pretty well and really dump on Nana when she's helpless.
Also, if ICs had a better grab range, it would be awful. But Ike with perfect spacing requires effort for the short IC grab range to hit.

and... grab... glitch???

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
No, it's because it is that important. Also, ICs don't have amazing cross-up options or high air or ground speed, so it's more like a spacing battle vs a moving wall. Easier to maintain a good spacing than vs some other characters.

D

Deleted member 189823

I should really concentrate on spacing game. :x All I do is F-Air...and it's not exactly retreating most of the time. What is the exact use of N-Air that F-Air can't do? And should I also commonly use B-Air more for retreating? I tend to sort of save it for killing considering how damn strong it is for such a fast move.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
All I do is F-Air...and it's not exactly retreating most of the time. What is the exact use of N-Air that F-Air can't do? And should I also commonly use B-Air more for retreating? I tend to sort of save it for killing considering how damn strong it is for such a fast move.
First things first, it's not bad to throw out the Fair most of the time. It's the best spacing tool Ike has, unless you count a perfectly spaced auto-canceled Nair. The biggest issue with Fairs and Nairs is shield-grab potential if you get too close (if you are getting too close, you're not spacing right). Hitting with just the barest edge of the hitbox is hard but entirely possible.

Nair has less landing lag and leads immediately into jab1, which is out on frame 4. Nair is an all-around awesome move, just not so much in the IC's match-up. Since it covers most all of Ike, it's good for covering landings instead of airdodging into the ground. Note that this isn't always the case, as someone with a fast character like Fox can easily wait for you to land with Nair and punish with a sliding Usmash.

Bair isn't really effective OoS against IC's because of their height. If they are in the air, however, feel welcome to use it. Bair is plenty fast enough to avoid punishment, at least as far as aerials go. When fighting around Mario's height or taller, OoS turn-around Bair is usually a very good option. Don't be afraid to let it stale a bit. That's why Ike has pummel, jab, and Nair.

D

Deleted member 189823

:,D
I really have to implement un-staling in my game...especially if I have a move in my arsenal that has a variety of uses- Kind of like Ike's B-Air, in this case.

Also, N-Air provides a more mobile, spacing alternative, right?

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
It's better than Fair in respect that it is faster and covers more space around Ike. If you're approaching with a move, 5/10 it'll be Nair, 3/10 it'll be Fair, 1/10 it should be RAR Bair, 1/10 it should be gimmick attacks like Dash Attack or reverse Usmash.

If you're retreating, yeah toss out a Nair and a jab afterwards. Fair might get shielded or dodged, leaving you open for dash grabs or all kinds of punishment.

If you're looking to do wall-like spacing, Fair. Covering options smartly, though, mix between Nair and Fair.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Does ike have any meteor smashes/spikes?
*tosses large, Ike-like arm around shoulder*
MY FRIEND, YOU JUST HIT THE MOTHER LODE.

Dtilt and Dair spike. Usually Dair is what you want to aim for, unless you're feeling really cocky and decide that Dtilt might be a better idea (even with its atrocious start-up lag). As an Ike player, I love walk-off Dairs. See the Ike guide here and look at C in the second post regarding the pluses and minuses of control schemes.

D

Deleted member 189823

I am going to learn Ramin Cancelling and give my community a good name.

D

Deleted member 189823

I made a list of a few tecniques/gimmicks that I have in mind to practice, as soon as I get a Wii (my Wii died, and is currently getting repaired).
One of the important things that I want to work on are some of the mobility tecniques, such as platform cancelling, Ramin cancelling and pivot dashing. Not just with Ike, but with my other characters as well.

Top Bottom