• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
Hey guys, when I use Ike against a character, for some reason I actually don't have an issue with the match ups. I mean I know the MUs are supposed to be a thing that can really shift a match, but I don't feel any issue with any character (aside from a camping Snake).

What have you to say for this? I for one feel neutral on most all match-ups. I don't care what the Back Roomers say about MUs.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Match-ups can be looked at in two different ways. First the way each character should play against the other, and second the quantifiable outcome, the ratio.

Since it's pretty undeniable that match-ups in the sense of "playing differently according to the opposing character" have an importance -like abusing jab-cancels on fast fallers, or not using nair approaches vs DDD-, and since all these elements can be added and compared with those of the opposing character, it becomes a matter of learning and applying these options while avoiding or dealing with those of your opponent. Now, if you're a better player than him or if you're playing the match-up better than him (which is the same, imo), the actual ratio isn't representative. But against a well-versed opponent, like, say, a campy falco who deals efficiently with Ike cqc game, I'm afraid I do feel the weight of the match-up.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
2008, I didn't know what smash was and had never played it in my life.

It was a darker time, When I enjoyed sonic games and legitimately thought they were good.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
It was sometime around Sonic '06 or Secret Rings that I thought "I think I should probs stop playing Sonic games."

Adventure Battle 2 was great, ofc.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
SA2:B I got all 180 emblems to unlock the 3D green hill stage. Probably the last game I ever did a 100% completion on.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I've played generations, It was fun, albeit short. I've seen colours and not sure on it. might give it a go eventually. My brother said it was good, but he also thinks that FIFA is good so...

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
I got 9th out of 77 at my tournament, using only Ike in singles apart from a set against a meta-knight where I went falco, and lost. I FINALLY managed to beat a german TL who kept beating me every time we played. I also place 5th in doubles with Dueler X (GW), but I barely used Ike, mostly Pit. The out of country attendance was pretty high (10 players, and it should have been 15 if not for an incident back in germany), and the out of Paris one was as a whole more than one quarter of the entrants. It was all very hype.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Very nice, Blubo.

I moved back home for a while, so now I can actually play Brawl.

Also, I just got Fire Emblem: Awakening a few days ago and just ragequit for a while, since the thief I was trying to level couldn't dodge a 50% and 37% hit, when he only needed to dodge one of them. Only complaining since he got a perfect level up right beforehand, and I never had that before.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
My only perfect level up has been with Mia in FE9, I think.

I feel obligated to use her every playthrough because of it. Sorry, Zihark.

On a side note, I want to buy FE:Awakening but there's nothing else on the 3DS I particularly want. I'll probably wait until Pokemon and Smash come out first.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
I got 9th out of 77 at my tournament, using only Ike in singles apart from a set against a meta-knight where I went falco, and lost. I FINALLY managed to beat a german TL who kept beating me every time we played. I also place 5th in doubles with Dueler X (GW), but I barely used Ike, mostly Pit. The out of country attendance was pretty high (10 players, and it should have been 15 if not for an incident back in germany), and the out of Paris one was as a whole more than one quarter of the entrants. It was all very hype.
Good stuff man, I look forward to catching some of the matches on youtube, Shame I couldnt come to any of the summer stuff this year, Maybe next time eh?

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
Thanks guys. For the replays, I'm pretty sure none of my single sets were recorded... but the crew France vs Europe will be, and the opening match is a ditto Ike between me and Yoh, hype ! I should upload some other matches on my own channel at some point, too.

The other day, i was testing Ike's options in specific scenarios, like when TL and Snake hit his shield with some of their stuff. TL's dtilt, for example, is remarkably safe on Ike's shield... If it's spaced well enough so that you can't shieldgrab it, you can't punish it at all.
Another interesting discovery I made is that you can punish snake's ftilt2 on block, as long as it's not perfectly spaced, with an Up OOS ! Must be used sparingly of course, and its usage is optimal on stages with platforms, but it's useful imo.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
>Crew battle between countries
>opening is an ike ditto

Wat

Also from guide:

Question: Why doesn't Ike use Aether OoS? It comes out in 18 frames and deals more damage than ftilt!

Answer: Aether is a horrible attack cause of how easy you can DI out of it (Especially out of the first hit) and it leaves you open afterwards

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Aether OoS isn't ridiculously bad because Ike gets such a large amount of range from a grounded Aether (hold forward and watch that range!) and the damage is definitely respectable..

However: Easily DIed, leaves you open.

Solution: Use 0-1 times a set so they don't see it coming. Have a platform overhead.

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
An out of shield option that can deal 20~% and has some situations where it can be used safely should not be overlooked, no matter what's written in the guide. Platforms, slants and catching an edge after doing the upB are all ways to guarantee or come close to safety after that. And I did say to use it sparingly, Ussi.
Also, I was more surprised by the fact that you could use it to punish snake's ftilt, of all moves. It's just the kind of midrange options that Ike struggles with, I would never have thought of using UpB to try and cover it.

About the Ike ditto, Yoh and I didn't get to play before that, and we thought it was be a good way to start things with some hype. It worked, but the hype died as soon as some MK started to platform camp an ICs player for several minutes :(

Blubolouis

Smash Lord
When you manage to punish a decently well spaced Ftilt2 on shield with any form of jab-cancel, when your opponent is at the very least slightly versed in the Ike match-up, please let me know. When they see an easy jab punish coming, my opponents SDI out on the first jab1 and I'm left with jab2 to jab3.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
Stop jabbing, let them hit the Cstick for an aerial with lag, and then jab them again. Or mix up your jab cancel timing. SDIing jab1 is more or less a read, you just have to make them read wrong.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You have 3 frames to delay jab 1 and still let it be a true combo

If they are gonna sdi jab... Why the heck would they not hold left/right when the first hit of aether hits them?

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Because humans make mistakes!

I think it might be worth it to go for it once a set. It deals like double the damage of a jab combo. It's risky since they might DI out and you won't get the full damage but if you have a platform overhead you minimize potential retaliation.

Jab OoS hits on f10, Aether hits on f18. Not horrible, I guess.

Top Bottom