• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Any and every move can shield poke as long as you find a way to hit the character around their shield. Visualize in your head how it can poke shields. If you don't seem to think it will work without some weird elevation difference and a low or improperly angled shield, then don't count on it poking.

Edit
@ San= I'd say risky the way you did it because the second hit of hit Ftilt would have hit you... and if you space it for the second hit, there's no guarantee that he will try hitting you with the second one... if he recognizes his spacing limits, at least.

Edit

I have the best post in this thread.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
post 9001??

nope! 9002. Reply #9001, though!

in any case, I played some Wifi today. I am soooo rusty, haha. If any of you want to play, let me know.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It depends if I'm visiting my family again like last year.

TX7Killian

Smash Apprentice
For some reason most people fall for jab to ftilt
dunno why, I never fall for it in dittos (well, all other Ikes in germany sucks, especially one)

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Changed my name to commemorate over 9000 postage of the topic.

Jab ftilt is a situational mixup, but there is a height where you know that if they don't jump, and fall/airdodge to the ground, they will get hit by ftilt. It's worth using once or a couple times every few matches to get a handle on how effective it is for you.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Just come to Texas and I'll play you in person. It's only a couple hundred bucks to get here and back. I'll make you dinner once or twice to compensate.
Sounds awesome, actually.

If I'm ever anywhere near your area, I am definitely going to stop by. It would be incredibly rude not to!

Also san is no longer san numbers. He is now san dot.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
I don't think anybody has a name of any kind of variation with your name. lol
Now, my name on the otherhand.... :[
At least the "RedEX" tag was somewhat more original.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I went deaf in one ear overnight :( I'm assuming it's temporary since this has occurred before, but hopefully so.
I normally use Ftilt when they're falling to the ground and I want to bait an air-dodge. I don't think it's failed me yet, but I don't think I space it as much as I should, in caution that it could fail.

Edit: I watched the video, san. I just had to watch a few others, lol. You're so fun to watch, lmao.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I went deaf in one ear overnight :( I'm assuming it's temporary since this has occurred before, but hopefully so.
This happened to me about this time last year as well. I was at a fairly loud party and hadn't noticed just how close to the speakers I was standing. The next morning, it turned out that I could barely hear anything and even simple things like putting on a pair of headphones caused me a large amount of discomfort.

From experience, this'll probably last a few days. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say that by the end of the third day you'll be good as new!

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
I actually learned in bio class that listening to loud music repeatedly can potentially damage the haircells in your ears and make them irreparable.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
No hearing loud sounds only makes us better at hearing duh like training muscles lifting heavy weights

Also, my respect for fair has increased yet again. I am loving the maximum vertical range of fair both above and below. I believe if people aim to hit at these maximum and minimum vertical points, they get much more reward. EX. hitting with the top of fair right before a fastfall.

Against short characters, it's best to short hop fair, but don't fastfall until you see the diagonal down part of the hitbox come out. I think fair might have a chance against glide attack if we aim for the top part of fair's hitbox, not the horizontal part (where it hits our hands).

Also, I think shot hop QD approach is viable after hitting the opponent away (ex after they get hit by jab3 above 20-30%) It is easy to cancel the lag of the landing and it offers valuable mixup potential + more movement options.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Also, I think shot hop QD approach is viable after hitting the opponent away (ex after they get hit by jab3 above 20-30%) It is easy to cancel the lag of the landing and it offers valuable mixup potential + more movement options.
If I ever find anyone willing to play Brawl again, I plan on trying this out a lot. Good idea.
Man. I promise, my relative inactivity over the past year has not been voluntary. I just have nobody to play with and when tourneys come up, I can't go.

Side note: I play Kano in MK9. That game is surprisingly fun. I was expecting a piece of crap that wasn't fun to play in the least. You know, like the rest of the Mortal Kombat games.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yes, only after hitting them away would I do it unless they are far away. It helps you get under them easier. QD is usable as long as your opponent can't get in the way. Otherwise...

Also, I've been trying to deliberately mix up between delayed jab 2, jab1->jab1, and combat walking. Trying to find the best mix of all three.

The only conclusion I can come up with is to be very reactive to what the opponent can do with their frames of freedom (if you let them) or their SDI (which leads to combat walk).

Jab too fast and combat walk won't hit cause they popped out. That's why I'm thinking delayed jab2 might be helpful. Delayed jab2 instead of jab cancel to jab1 for the times where you think jab1 won't reach (they DI too far away). Optimally, time it so they can't touch the ground without getting hit.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
The fact that Mortal Kombat has 9 games kinda makes me not want to play it. I was never interested in the series at all anyway. :l

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I can see Red edit his posts in real time.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well ill be trying that fair stuff out, to be honest i need to get used to avoiding projectiles again instead of just outspamming my opponent. whenever someone attacks my sheils from a range i cant jab i keep dropping shiled and dashing, and getting punished hard, when im trying to walk

also, whats an easier way of doing b-air oos? a button or c-stick? its a tradeoff of speed or consistentcy for me, because i cant get to the cstick from the y button fast enough to punish effectively with b-air but with the a button i keep nairing accidentally

just realised...i dont use the cstick at all...need to work on that lul

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Out of shield I just use jump+A. Most of the time I use X+A when buffering from a jump, otherwise I use C-stick.

Reverse aerial rush bair I use L-jump + Cstick, though.

@Red-X You need a red X at the end of your posts.

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
....wat
What's up with the random period at the end of your posts btw? lmao
San's random "." at the end of his post is the equivalent of New York Shark's Tyranitar, or even my amazing animating Serperior. It adds emphasis to the post, I suppose.

Rangerike

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Thatsrike
I love MK9 it's like a remake of 2 and 3 put together 4-8 were just bad when they made it slow and 3D. I also love the storyline, never seen a fighting game put so much effort into a story line. I use Kitana btw.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
The story line is good for a fighting game, but still one too many ******** moments.

Also Red, that's 9 Mortal Kombat games in 20 years, and the first for this gen.

And you do realize Street Fighter has had 10 games in 24 years right? And that's not counting any cross overs or revisions they've sold.

Tekken has had 6 games not counting any revisions or updates.

Overall, MK has had the least amount of games released per year >_>.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well...tekken has also had the tag tournament, and tag 2 is in the works
its still a fairly low amount of games made XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
That's because Tekken is the "newest" out of the games I mentioned.

Tekken 1 was released in 1994. In 17 years, they've released...

Tekken 1, 2, 3, 4, Tag, 5, 6.

So if you don't count the revisiions like Blood Line Rebellion and any ports, you get 7 releases in 17 years. That's the same rate as MK.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
tag came before 4 for tekken.

but yeah mortal kombat 9 is cool. so many stuff plus great fighting mechanism plus great storyline that effectively explains all characters and their backgrounds. best MK remake game by far.
lol just noticed all my mains are asian in these games.
MK - Liu Kang
SF - Ryu
Tekken - Jin and Lee

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Street Fighter is mainstream though. So of course it would be releasing more games than pretty much all fighters. lol

Heartstring

Smash Legend
tag came before 4 for tekken.

but yeah mortal kombat 9 is cool. so many stuff plus great fighting mechanism plus great storyline that effectively explains all characters and their backgrounds. best MK remake game by far.
lol just noticed all my mains are asian in these games.
MK - Liu Kang
SF - Ryu
Tekken - Jin and Lee
you forget that almost all characters in fighting games are asian XD

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Street Fighter is mainstream though. So of course it would be releasing more games than pretty much all fighters. lol
MK is just as main stream lol. I honestly heard more talk about MK back in the day than SF.

you forget that almost all characters in fighting games are asian XD
Stereotyping much? There are just as many non-asian characters as there are asian characters in fighting games. MK actually has probably more non-asians than any other fighter.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Fighting games that are developed in an Asian country should have a majority of Asian characters. >.>
Same goes for fighting games developed here.

Top Bottom