• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IGN's wishlist for Smash 4

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
The Sonic ladder is as follows: (don't deny it, you know it to be true)

1) Tails
2) Knuckles
3) Shadow (as lame as he is, he'd be next in line)
4) Robotnik
5) Espio the Chameleon (THE best Sonic sidekick besides Tails/Knuckles, hands down)
6) The Prostitute Bat
7) The Pink Hedgehog w/ a Hammer
8) Other lame-*** Sonic sidekicks (I think there is an Alligator who wears bling, works w/ Espio, and blows bubbles?)
9) Metal Sonic
10) The White Hedgehog who shows up in the background of GHZ

That being said, the only one with a realistic chance of showing up as playable in the future is Tails.
Sonic fanboys sure come out of the dirt...

Well, no. Sonic is enough for the Smash series, the rest are good enough as trophies/Assist Trophies.

I prefer Megaman than Tails, if you don't mind.

Also, why didn't IGN showed up Isaac, and the Koopalings instead? They sure need to know a word: Imagination -makes half circle with his hands, rainbow appears-

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
The Sonic ladder is as follows: (don't deny it, you know it to be true)

1) Tails
2) Knuckles
3) Shadow (as lame as he is, he'd be next in line)
4) Robotnik
5) Espio the Chameleon (THE best Sonic sidekick besides Tails/Knuckles, hands down)
6) The Prostitute Bat
7) The Pink Hedgehog w/ a Hammer
8) Other lame-*** Sonic sidekicks (I think there is an Alligator who wears bling, works w/ Espio, and blows bubbles?)
9) Metal Sonic
10) The White Hedgehog who shows up in the background of GHZ

That being said, the only one with a realistic chance of showing up as playable in the future is Tails.
No. It's more like this:

1. Tails
2. Knuckles
3. Amy
4. Eggman
5. Shadow
6. Metal Sonic

Metal Sonic should be higher, but that's circumstances for ya... and that's it. That's the Sonic ladder.

Personally, I don't think Third Parties in the next game should get another character... what looks better:

1. Sonic
2. Snake
3. Gray Fox
4. Tails

or

1. Sonic
2. Snake
3. Megaman
4. Cecil/Terra/Black Mage

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Personally, I don't think Third Parties in the next game should get another character... what looks better:

1. Sonic
2. Snake
3. Gray Fox
4. Tails

or

1. Sonic
2. Snake
3. Megaman
Agreed but, realistically, I think Bomberman would be the fourth choice. Also, I'm not all too sure that Snake will return in the next installement simply because the franchise offically ends later this year.

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Agreed but, realistically, I think Bomberman would be the fourth choice. Also, I'm not all too sure that Snake will return in the next installement simply because the franchise offically ends later this year.
I thought about Bomberman, but being silly me, I didn't want to put MegaMAN and BomberMAN in the same list. Besides that, I do want a SE rep... there was just a slight, slight bias in the last spot, but I was just trying to show how it looks better when other companies are taken into consideration.

And if Snake doesn't return, do you think they'd have someone else from Konami?

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I thought about Bomberman, but being silly me, I didn't want to put MegaMAN and BomberMAN in the same list. Besides that, I do want a SE rep... there was just a slight, slight bias in the last spot, but I was just trying to show how it looks better when other companies are taken into consideration.

With the last paragraph, you made me think: What if in the next Smash Bros. there is no Third-Party?

Hey, don't look at me with those eyes, it scares me...

Zevox

Smash Lord
With the last paragraph, you made me think: What if in the next Smash Bros. there is no Third-Party?
Unless a new director takes over for Sakurai who happens to be very against the idea, I doubt that will happen. Its pretty clear that the third party characters, especially Sonic, have brought huge news levels of hype to the series, and that most fans were more than willing to accept them at the very least. I expect that, if we get a fourth game, Sonic at least will come back, and quite possibly also Snake (depends on whether Sakurai directs the game and whether Hideo Kojima/Konami still want him in after his series ends). Further inclusions are debatable of course, but I imagine we all know who the next character most likely to get in on pure popular demand is.

Zevox

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Unless a new director takes over for Sakurai who happens to be very against the idea, I doubt that will happen. Its pretty clear that the third party characters, especially Sonic, have brought huge news levels of hype to the series, and that most fans were more than willing to accept them at the very least. I expect that, if we get a fourth game, Sonic at least will come back, and quite possibly also Snake (depends on whether Sakurai directs the game and whether Hideo Kojima/Konami still want him in after his series ends). Further inclusions are debatable of course, but I imagine we all know who the next character most likely to get in on pure popular demand is.

Zevox
Quite right, Sonic is a shoe in for the next Smash, unless something happens with him (Sonic gamers, you know what do I mean).

If Sonic and Snake return, I do expect to see one or two more third parties, between them: Megaman and Chrono (HEY! Akira Toriyama-san's work in SSB? Sweet.) Personally I would hate to see for example: Sonic and Tails, Snake and Raiden.

Terrorcon Blot

Smash Journeyman
I really do hope K Rool has a chance in a future installment. Helps increase the options for people who love heavy and slow characters, adds another villain to the forces of evil, and he has a nice potential move set.

I mean, heck, in three SNES appearances, he never fought the same way twice! Every game he's appeared in has given some unique move offering or attack animation, be it the crown tossing from his original appearance, the cannonball launching blunderbuss of his second, or even the pugilistic fighting style from the N64, K Rool is a blank canvas with a load of paint to choose from.

Zenigame

Smash Apprentice
No. It's more like this:
1. Sonic
2. Snake
3. Gray Fox
4. Tails

or

1. Sonic
2. Snake
3. Megaman
IMO, this looks best:

1. Sonic
2. Snake
3. Megaman
4. Tails

If they just gave Metal Gear/Megaman a few stages/ATs/etc more than Sonic I think it'd be pretty fair. Ideally, Bomberman and/or Belmont would be a 5 and/or a 6, but you were listing four, so I played along.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Simon Belmont or someone else from Castlevania, most definately. Really, when it comes to Konami franchises, that's the one that deserved representation the most for quite a few reasons.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No claus = fail
Realistically, I don't think Mother will ever get any more playable reps simply because Itoi has made it sound almost definate that Mother 3 will never have a sequel. I know you're refering to Claus's Masked Man identity but the fact that Lucas essentially has a Claus ALT doesn't exactly help his case.

Crownjo

Smash Apprentice
10. Bowser Jr / Shadow Mario - NO
9. Tom Nook - NO
8. Samurai Goroh - MAYBE
7. King K. Rool - YES
6. Geno - YES
5. Mewtwo - YES
4. Blue (Green in Japan I guess) - Depends
3. Midna - YES
2. Ridley - YES
1. Koopalings - CRAP

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
Bowser Jr. = So-so

Tom Nook = NO

SamGo= Yes

K. Rool= Yes

Geno= Yes

Mewtwo = Yes

RPT= Sure

Midna = Sure

Ridley = **** YEAH, RIDLEY!

Koopalings = umm . . . wut.

fuuzball317

Smash Apprentice
First off, surprised that IGN would even begin to start speculation, but i guess they have nothing better to do. Like the people, koopalings are whack, they forgot Krystal too. One thing i will stick by til i die though, is that Tom Nook or any Animal Crossing characters have NO POSITION AS PLAYABLE CHARACTERS IN ANY SMASH. Completely ********, any one who thinks that Tom Nook would be sick should rethink their whole metality of smash.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can't have Ridley in SSB without screwing up "realism" as Riddley is quite large. Unless you're gonna make him a huge character who can't really hit small ones except with low sweep, he'll just be a huge target for Pikachu to destroy.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You can't have Ridley in SSB without screwing up "realism" as Riddley is quite large. Unless you're gonna make him a huge character who can't really hit small ones except with low sweep, he'll just be a huge target for Pikachu to destroy.
I'm pretty sure they would find some way to balance it out if they didn't shrink him. Heck, they've done it for other fighting games. If they did decide to shrink Ridley though, I don't think it'd be too unreasonable to make him the height of two Samus's. Bowser's about the height of two Mario's so I think that's a good scale to go by.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure they would find some way to balance it out if they didn't shrink him. Heck, they've done it for other fighting games. If they did decide to shrink Ridley though, I don't think it'd be too unreasonable to make him the height of two Samus's. Bowser's about the height of two Mario's so I think that's a good scale to go by.
What other fighting games have characters that are 6-10 times as tall as the shortest character? The only one I can think of is Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 and 4 in which Akamaru is God Tier because so few characters can even hit him.

fuuzball317

Smash Apprentice
i think we can all agree though that there are no fighting games that are like brawl though, so the fact of a very large playable character may not be out of the question, there's more ridiculous stuff that could be in brawl, lol like Tom Nook as a character.

J0™

Smash Apprentice
IMO:

10) Bowser Jr - Meh
9) Tom Nook - Yea!
8) Samurai Goroh - Yea!
7) King K Rool - Meh
6) Geno - Fail
5) Mewtwo - Meh
4) Rival Trainer - Fail
3) Midna - Meh
2) Ridley - Yea!
1) Koopalings - Epic Fail

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
What other fighting games have characters that are 6-10 times as tall as the shortest character? The only one I can think of is Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 and 4 in which Akamaru is God Tier because so few characters can even hit him.
6-10 times? Ridley's not that huge in Brawl. Stop at 00:37 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJP8TtY3eig

Notice how Pikachu isn't standing straight up. Even with the changes of perspective, I'd say that Ridley is about the height of 3 1/2 Pikachus in this scene. Ridley could be made the height of about 1 2/3 Samus's if he were made playable. Upon further inspection, I noticed that Brawl Ridley is already about the twice the height of Samus and it stands out most at
1:51. It should be noted that Ridley almost never stands up perfectly straight either when he's on the ground. Because of his rather unusual body structure, he always has his limbs bent at an acute angle when he's stationed on the ground. Look at these pictures for example:

If he were standing up completely straight, yes, he'd be obnoxiously big but when you add his "ground position" to the theoritical sizing down, you would no longer have a character that would be completely unnatural in an SSB setting.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wow, people still think Geno is legitimate for Brawl? -_-

His significance fails as a Mario character. I cannot emphasize this more. I'm a Mario series fan and I'm not going to deny this. Putting him next to Mario in Brawl is just sooooo wrong. He's nowhere nearly that good, and you could essentially say it would be an insult towards Mario himself if that were to happen. Don't you bother with the argument "HE WAS IMPORTANT TO HIS GAME" Big deal, the party members from Paper Mario were also critical to their games, and in fact MORESO than Geno because they actually do stuff outside of battle.

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Make him roughly the same size as Bowser and you've got yourself a character.

Also, yaaay Geno. Yaaay Mewtwo.

Boo koopalings.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Smash has a long history of resizing characters to fit it's purposes already. Bowser in some games is an absolute giant - in Mario Sunshine for example he could've eaten Mario whole - yet in SSB hes perhaps twice Mario's height. Pikachu and Squirtle are only supposed to be a little over a foot tall, yet they're about the height of Diddy, and not much smaller than Mario or Wario. Kirby is only supposed to be 8 inches tall, yet hes about half the height of our average human characters. Olimar is supposed to be small than a penny, literally, and yet he is almost Mario's height.

I think its pretty obvious that SSB is only concerned with keeping characters' relative sizes intact, not their absolute sizes. So long as Ridley were one of our larger characters, say about Bowser's size or a tad bigger, he'd be perfect.

Zevox

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Wow, people still think Geno is legitimate for Brawl? -_-

His significance fails as a Mario character. I cannot emphasize this more. I'm a Mario series fan and I'm not going to deny this. Putting him next to Mario in Brawl is just sooooo wrong. He's nowhere nearly that good, and you could essentially say it would be an insult towards Mario himself if that were to happen. Don't you bother with the argument "HE WAS IMPORTANT TO HIS GAME" Big deal, the party members from Paper Mario were also critical to their games, and in fact MORESO than Geno because they actually do stuff outside of battle.
Actually, the Paper Mario helpers are hardly comparable because, for almost all of them, their significance and true contribution to the story only lasts about a chapter or so. Really, after those points, they basically become tools and this really shines with full force in the original Paper Mario (Lakister, enough said). The only Paper Mario helper that has ever really played some role in the plot before and after "their" chapter is Vivian in the TTYD.

Also, although we all assumed it, Sakurai confirmed at GDC that overall significance is not that important. These were the four standards that he said characters had to meet in order to be playable in Smash:

1. They have to be unique and their inclusion has to bring something new to the table.

2. If they were added, people would want to play as them because of the fore-mentioned qualities.

3. They have to fit the SSB Universe's style of fighting with only minor alterations if nessecary.

4. They cannot be completely invinsible or useless and they have to have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Really, unless you're miseribly biased, it is easy to see that Geno falls into all four categories and especially stands out in the first two.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I don't support Geno anymore. I'm glad he didn't make the cut. I think Toad deserves the spot over Geno, for sure. But that's my opinion, just me. But I like WTF characters like the blue virus (that was on the suggested list from years ago on Sakurai's poll, lol) from Dr. Mario.

Anyway.. I'm shocked they have all those characters on their list... but no Krystal anywhere?

My top ten:
10. Jody Summer
9. Sylux
8. Sigurd
7. Midna
6. Skapon
5. Krystal (Actually.. I want Miyu frm the unreleased Starfox 2 more but whatever)
4. Rival Trainer (Chikorita, Croconaw, Typhlosion)
3. Isaac
2. Lyn
1. Takamaru

Don't you just love my wtf choices? lol

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
Most of those seemed right except for... the Kooplings. I could've seen Bowser Jr. But the Kooplings. They'd have to have been characters that I would've had to get used to being in the game.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Yes, one thing:

Did Geno EVER appear in Melee or the 64 Smash in ANY way, shape, or form?

What's that? NO???

Well guess what?

Pit was. MK was. DDD was. Olimar was. Squirtle and Charizard were. Wario was. Ridley was.

Was Geno? Absolutely friggin' not. Neither was Krystal, but at LEAST she appeared in Brawl.

If Geno was to have a miniscule chance, he'd have appeared as a cameo in Melee.

He's screwed, face it.

Machete

Smash Ace
Yes, one thing:

Did Geno EVER appear in Melee or the 64 Smash in ANY way, shape, or form?

What's that? NO???

Well guess what?

Pit was. MK was. DDD was. Olimar was. Squirtle and Charizard were. Wario was. Ridley was.

Was Geno? Absolutely friggin' not. Neither was Krystal, but at LEAST she appeared in Brawl.

If Geno was to have a miniscule chance, he'd have appeared as a cameo in Melee.

He's screwed, face it.
Erm, Lucas? Erm, the other third parties, like Geno?

Top Bottom