• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IGN's wishlist for Smash 4

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Well...

Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario: I can see Bower Jr. being in the next game if his current status of being a important side villain remains. He's got the moveset pottential, and really has had importance in the plot Shadow Mario though...not so much. It was there for one game, had no real distinguishable moves, and that's it. While the same can be said about Sheik, she got in at the right time, and is now here to stay. We've already past that phase with Bowser Jr, so chances are he'd be stand alone. I vote Half Yes.

Tom Nook: Even more than a generic Animal Crosser, Nook represents the series the best. There are also a variety of moves that could be implemented that could make him work. Heck, you could throw in some of Mario's Tanooki suit moves for him. I vote Yes.

Samurai Goroh: This guy is the only real next representative F-Zero could really have. He's got long standig importance coupled with the one thing most F-Zero characters lack, actual move set pottential. He not only has his sword, but he actually knows sumo. Meanwhile Black Shadow, his only real competition, has absolutley nothing at all outside of his Batman wannabe apperance. I vote Yes

King K. Rool: This thing...really shouldn't get into whatever is next. Just look at the thing nd how malformed it is...heck, it's just Bowser from the Super Show. I vote No.

Geno: Oh Geno...You're one of my favorite video game characters, but you seriously have no chance at all. People kept on thinking that Nintendo would go out of its way to deal with at get the rights for a character with such a small role...even when the company itself has multiple better known characters. This guy really can't get in despite fanbase here. I vote No.

Mewtwo: Hehe. No one cared about Mewtwo at all before, and now that he's gone, everyone is crying that they want him back. Personally I don't care all that much about him, but I think that he will probaby make it into the next one due to him being in Melee combined with the large fan outcry. Hopefully he will get impoved. I vote Yes.

Rival Pokemon Trainer: Well...I can't say a thing here. It's just asking for nother PT like character. Any opinions I would have would be based on the Pokemon the Rival would have. But, the thing is that that's way too many Pokemon. If you keep the old PT, Pika, Jigs, Lucario, and then add this guy along with Mewtwo, we have 10 Pokemon. Now personally, I like the idea of say having someone like Cynthia with both Lucario and Jigs as her Pokemon, along with a Garchomp to round it out, but that's just unlikely. In any case, I vote Maybe.

Midna: I doubt this. As others have said, Midna's probably not coming back. By the time that he next Smash is out, we'll probably have someone else from the latest LoZ get added. I think Smash may always be focused around the main three. Unless Midna breaks away from the fate of all the other Zelda characters, I'll have to vote No.

Ridley: Yes. There's nothing more I think needs to be said. I vote Yes.

Koopalings: This one's a shocker, huh? How it would work out though is beyond me. There are too many of them after all...But that still doesn't mean they wouldn't be a awesome addition. Seriously, if you're voting them down, you probably never played the games they were in or something. While I wouldn't technically put them higher than Ridley, these guys are still somehing I'd love to see pulled off. I vote Yes.

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
10. Bowser Jr / Shadow Mario - NO
9. Tom Nook - YES
8. Samurai Goroh - NEUTRAL
7. King K. Rool - NEUTRAL
6. Geno - YES
5. Mewtwo - YES
4. Blue (Green in Japan I guess) - YES
3. Midna - NO
2. Ridley - YES
1. Koopalings - YES!

That's my take on it.
hmm, interesting. heres mine:

10. Bowser Jr / Shadow Mario - NO
9. Tom Nook - NO
8. Samurai Goroh - NO
7. King K. Rool - NO
6. Geno - YES
5. Mewtwo - YES
4. Rival Pokemon Trainer - ABSOLUTE NO NO NO
3. Midna - NO
2. Ridley - NO
1. Koopalings - Are they taking this seriously?

and i cannot believe they put 'pokemons'...

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
Okay, speculation on Smash 4 is getting kind of ridiculous now, most of us haven't even played Brawl yet. If you guys got all the characters you wanted NOW in the next Smash, you'd be pissed, because I guarantee there will be a kajillion new characters we'll all want that Nintendo brings out within the next few years.

And a lot of you are flipping out like IGN decides who's in. This is just what THEY want. They're not making the choices for you. It's opinion. That's it. We're not going to get another Smash for a LONG time, so let's just enjoy the one we just got/are soon to get.

Machete

Smash Ace
Well... pretty strange.

I mean... OK. K. Rool, Ridley, Goroh, Tom Nook, Mewtwo and Bowser Jr. deserve to be in the next game, even if you don't like them. F-Zero and Metroid need a new character. Mario, Donkey Kong and Pokémon deserve another one. Animal Crossing should have one as well.

Geno... well.. I'm pretty neutral about him. If the roster is big enough, he should be in.

Midna, no. Even though I like her, in the next.. ¿5-7? years she won't be in any Zelda game, so she wouldn't deserve the playable status. However, if she reappears, then she's a "maybe".

Koopalings, no. Sorry, they deserve a trophy, but nothing more. They'd need more recent appearances, and Bowser Jr. is enough.

I'm a bit surprised with this list. A new FE main character (probably replacing Ike), a new extremely-popular Pokémon (probably replacing Lucario along with Mewtwo), a new Zelda main antagonist-sidekick are likely choices too. Ok, they don't count because they don't exist yet.

But Krystal is a extremely likely choice (even though I hate her, I think the only character who'll be more likely than her will be Ridley), and they didn't mention her. Isaac, if he reappears in a new Golden Sun, would be another likely character...

Meh, it's too soon to debate that. From that list, the only "likely" choices that I see are K. Rool, Ridley, Mewtwo, Nook, Goroh and Bowser Jr.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I disagree with Minda since it's unlikely she will appear in another Zelda game, but there is the whole Sheik argument...

Anyway, aside from that, I would love these newcomers for the next game, at this point.
Unfortunately probable, given the ending of Twilight Princess. But personally, I'm holding out hope. They made Midna the most dynamic, interesting character the Zelda series has ever seen, and clearly there are a lot of fans who simply fell in love with her during the course of the game. If someone like Tingle can wind up with his own games based just on a weird quantity of fans forming around him in Japan, surely someone like Midna at least has a shot at becoming a recurring character. But even if she doesn't, I at least will still support her for the next SSB game if/when one is made.

Zevox

quinn95

Smash Journeyman
I want midna riding wolf link and tom nook/animal crosser the most...

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
IGN stinks when choosing characters. I mean, the Koopa Kids?

It's official, I don't like IGN anymore.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well...

Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario: I can see Bower Jr. being in the next game if his current status of being a important side villain remains. He's got the moveset pottential, and really has had importance in the plot Shadow Mario though...not so much. It was there for one game, had no real distinguishable moves, and that's it. While the same can be said about Sheik, she got in at the right time, and is now here to stay. We've already past that phase with Bowser Jr, so chances are he'd be stand alone. I vote Half Yes.

Tom Nook: Even more than a generic Animal Crosser, Nook represents the series the best. There are also a variety of moves that could be implemented that could make him work. Heck, you could throw in some of Mario's Tanooki suit moves for him. I vote Yes.

Samurai Goroh: This guy is the only real next representative F-Zero could really have. He's got long standig importance coupled with the one thing most F-Zero characters lack, actual move set pottential. He not only has his sword, but he actually knows sumo. Meanwhile Black Shadow, his only real competition, has absolutley nothing at all outside of his Batman wannabe apperance. I vote Yes

King K. Rool: This thing...really shouldn't get into whatever is next. Just look at the thing nd how malformed it is...heck, it's just Bowser from the Super Show. I vote No.

Geno: Oh Geno...You're one of my favorite video game characters, but you seriously have no chance at all. People kept on thinking that Nintendo would go out of its way to deal with at get the rights for a character with such a small role...even when the company itself has multiple better known characters. This guy really can't get in despite fanbase here. I vote No.

Mewtwo: Hehe. No one cared about Mewtwo at all before, and now that he's gone, everyone is crying that they want him back. Personally I don't care all that much about him, but I think that he will probaby make it into the next one due to him being in Melee combined with the large fan outcry. Hopefully he will get impoved. I vote Yes.

Rival Pokemon Trainer: Well...I can't say a thing here. It's just asking for nother PT like character. Any opinions I would have would be based on the Pokemon the Rival would have. But, the thing is that that's way too many Pokemon. If you keep the old PT, Pika, Jigs, Lucario, and then add this guy along with Mewtwo, we have 10 Pokemon. Now personally, I like the idea of say having someone like Cynthia with both Lucario and Jigs as her Pokemon, along with a Garchomp to round it out, but that's just unlikely. In any case, I vote Maybe.

Midna: I doubt this. As others have said, Midna's probably not coming back. By the time that he next Smash is out, we'll probably have someone else from the latest LoZ get added. I think Smash may always be focused around the main three. Unless Midna breaks away from the fate of all the other Zelda characters, I'll have to vote No.

Ridley: Yes. There's nothing more I think needs to be said. I vote Yes.

Koopalings: This one's a shocker, huh? How it would work out though is beyond me. There are too many of them after all...But that still doesn't mean they wouldn't be a awesome addition. Seriously, if you're voting them down, you probably never played the games they were in or something. While I wouldn't technically put them higher than Ridley, these guys are still somehing I'd love to see pulled off. I vote Yes.
I read this and simply can't really say anything because of how miseribly biased it is. Dismissing K. Rool simply on his looks while supporting the almost entirely impractical Koopalings is beyond ********... Really, at GDC, Sakurai said what his four standards were for selecting characters:

1. The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game.

2. The character must be unique.

3. The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.

4. They must contribute to the game balance.

Beyond that, there are only a few characters that Sakurai has completely turned down:

-Sukapon
-Characters from the early NES days that offer little to work with (Balloon Fighter, Bubbles, Duck Hunt Dog, etc)
-Completely region exclusive characters (ie; only Japan) on most occasins.
-The Animal Crosser
-Pac-man
-An L block from Tetris :laugh:

Really, regarding your arguement against Geno, most people got screwed over, not just Geno fans. Takamaru and Krystal, for example, made mere cameos despite a decent amount of support from both sides of the Ocean. Sakurai decided on 34 out of the game's individual 35 characters on July 7th 2005, 10 months before the offical Brawl poll. In the reality of things, no one stood a chance, not just Geno. To put it in perspective, Sonic wasn't added until the summer of 2007... Get the picture? You have a man that made up his mind 3 months before production even started and added only one new character in the span of almost two years.

The question then goes to how did Sakurai come up with the 14 newcomers? Simple, 10 of them were leftovers from the offical Melee poll or were left on the cutting room floor (Wario, Diddy Kong, Metaknight, Sonic, Snake, Pit, Wolf, Pokemon Trainer, King Dedede, and Lucas.) and the other four/five were pretty much added out of obligation:

ZSS (Sakurai explained at E3 06 that she was Brawl's "new female rep.")
Ike (The most recent FE lord at the start of production much like Roy in Melee.)
Lucario (Pokemon representing the most recent generation.)
Olimar (The only major Miyamoto franchise that didn't have a playable rep yet.)
ROB (A WTF character in the same lines as Mr. Game and Watch.)

With this being said, what's stopping Sakurai from going back to the top choices of the Brawl poll for SSB4?

King Dedede (5 entries)
Geno (5 entries)
Ike (4 entries)
Diddy Kong (4 entries)
Ridley (4 entries)
Krystal (3 entries)
Olimar (3 entries)
Toon Link (3 entries)
Takamaru (3 entries)
Megaman (2 entries and the only third party character that was mentioned more then once besides Geno.)

There's more that were mentioned more then once too like Isaac, Claus, and King K. Rool.

Really, if you ask me, K. Rool's chances of becoming playable in the next installment are outstanding because in each installment, Sakurai has added one big and heavy character:

Original- DK
Melee- Bowser
Brawl- King Dedede

Krystal's pretty much in the same boat too as far as female reps go:

Original- Samus
Melee- Zelda, Peach
Brawl- ZSS

In the end, I believe it's definately way too early to dismiss Geno or K. Rool and they definately have more going for them then you give them credit for.

Machete

Smash Ace
Really, if you ask me, K. Rool's chances of becoming playable in the next installment are outstanding because in each installment, Sakurai has added one big and heavy character:

Original- DK
Melee- Bowser
Brawl- King Dedede
*cough* Ridley *cough*
If only one big and heavy character is added in SSB4, it'll be Ridley.

However, Ganondorf was added in Melee; and Charizard was added in Brawl, so adding more than one is likely, specially since both of them deserve to be in.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
*cough* Ridley *cough*
If only one big and heavy character is added in SSB4, it'll be Ridley.

However, Ganondorf was added in Melee; and Charizard was added in Brawl, so adding more than one is likely, specially since both of them deserve to be in.
But Ridley, Ganondorf, and Charizard really doesn't fall into the category I speak of though. Look at the body structures of DK, Bowser, and Dedede; can't you see the similarities? Ridley's basically what you'd get if you mixed Kate Moss and dragon. :laugh: Granted, Ridley probably would be one of the heavier characters but I seriously doubt he be as lumbering as the others I mentioned. Ridley would probably be realitively light on his feet for his size.

Machete

Smash Ace
But Ridley, Ganondorf, and Charizard really doesn't fall into the category I speak of though. Look at the body structures of DK, Bowser, and Dedede; can't you see the similarities? Ridley's basically what you'd get if you mixed Kate Moss and dragon. :laugh: Granted, Ridley probably would be one of the heavier characters but I seriously doubt he be as lumbering as the others I mentioned. Ridley would probably be realitively light on his feet for his size.
Oh, now I see what you're saying. Yeah, even though Ridley would be big, he wouldn't be as heavy as them.

Yeah, K. Rool would be more like Bowser or Dedede: big, fat and heavy.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Oh, now I see what you're saying. Yeah, even though Ridley would be big, he wouldn't be as heavy as them.

Yeah, K. Rool would be more like Bowser or Dedede: big, fat and heavy.
The main thing that bothers me about Ridley is whether or not Sakurai established his size for the SSB series with his boss appearance... I really want Ridley to be playable in the next installment but I don't know if Sakurai has the vision to make it possible. (He's a man that has a lot of hindsight instead of foresight.)

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Takamaru would be sweet for the next one.

And for a rival PKMN trainer, it should be a female one using, maybe, Torchic, Grovyle and Swampert.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I can see those who were AT's having the chance to become characters in the next one.

NUDGE NUDGE ISAAC.
That raises yet another question: did Sakurai make those characters ATs just to give them a spot in the sun this one time? Some seem rather obvious that they will never become playable like Jill, Waluigi, Harukin, Kat and Ana, and Lyn (hey, I'm just going off of what Sakurai said about most Japanese exclusives) but will Isaac or Ray 01 ever get the chance?

Downfall

Smash Apprentice
That raises yet another question: did Sakurai make those characters ATs just to give them a spot in the sun this one time? Some seem rather obvious that they will never become playable like Jill, Waluigi, Harukin, Kat and Ana, and Lyn (hey, I'm just going off of what Sakurai said about most Japanese exclusives) but will Isaac or Ray 01 ever get the chance?
Waluigi, Kat and Ana... those characters were also in games released to the US of A. I don't know of any titles they're in that are Japanese exclusives. Sorry if I may have misunderstood you.

Probably. Just to tide us over until our next meal. I'm sure he's got something planned for the future, the trickster. I refuse to take anything he says seriously.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Waluigi, Kat and Ana... those characters were also in games released to the US of A. I don't know of any titles they're in that are Japanese exclusives. Sorry if I may have misunderstood you.

Probably. Just to tide us over until our next meal. I'm sure he's got something planned for the future, the trickster. I refuse to take anything he says seriously.
I was actually only referring to Lyn because I know a ton of people still like her.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Zo-muh-guh Teh Chars Spekyoulashun!!!! Teh Ssb4 Is Teh Almost Teh Out In Teh States For Teh Doubleyou!

Zevox

Smash Lord
Wasn't she in the same game as Roy?
No, actually - she was one of the stars of Blazing Sword, the seventh FE game, and the first international one. The other two stars of that game, Hector and Eliwood, also appeared in Roy's game, Sword of Seals, but Lyn did not. She was created specifically for Blazing Sword. Thats one of the reasons many international fans like her - she was the first Lord, outside Marth and Roy via Melee, that we were introduced to.

Zevox

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
No, actually - she was one of the stars of Blazing Sword, the seventh FE game, and the first international one. The other two stars of that game, Hector and Eliwood, also appeared in Roy's game, Sword of Seals, but Lyn did not. She was created specifically for Blazing Sword. Thats one of the reasons many international fans like her - she was the first Lord, outside Marth and Roy via Melee, that we were introduced to.

Zevox
Ah but I can't say much about her chances simply because with the Pokemon and Fire Emblem franchises, he seems to only care about the earliest and latest additions at least as far as playable characters go.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Takamaru would be sweet for the next one.

And for a rival PKMN trainer, it should be a female one using, maybe, Torchic, Grovyle and Swampert.
Female yes

But Mudkip, Grovyle and Blaziken would be a much better choice of Pokemon (some people wanted Blaziken separate.)

This is how media works kids:
"Let's throw in some familiar true stuff and then throw in some speculation to get attention."
This article is pure bull. A lot of those characters shouldn't have been there and a few were missing. Horrible list.

Arteen

Smash Lord
11) Female PT <- Just as an alternate costume. I have no idea why they didn't have this in Brawl.
10) Bowser Jr/Geno
9) Ray 01
8) Samurai Goroh
7) Lyn (or new FE character from a game that comes out between now and next SSB)
6) King K Rool
5) Ridley
4) Midna <- or some some other Zelda character
3) Mewtwo
2) Krystal
1) Isaac <- I think a GS character outpriortizes a third or fourth SF character.
Slight edit, but otherwise I completely agree with your list.

I refuse to say the words "SSB4" until at least 5 years after release in all regions.
Well, Melee came out not long after SSB64, so hopefully we won't have another long wait.

PS Why is Isaac so popular? Is Golden Sun really that big? I never finished it, but I didn't think much of any of its characters, really.
Is not big, but it's well-received and critically-acclaimed. It was the secondmost notable new series (after Pikmin) from the last generation of games, at least in my opinion. The series is at least important enough to receive an AT. Also, the series isn't over; Nintendo wants a sequel, and Camelot wants to make a sequel (they finally finished their golf game, so hopefully... *crosses fingers*).

Also, a key factor in Isaac's popularity is his potential as a unique character. He has a sword (although he can also use axes, maces, or fight weaponless), but he also has a variety of earth-based magic (both the rock/dirt/sand variety and the thorns/vines variety), numerous psychic powers (most notably telekinesis), the abilty to hover, teleport, or stop time, various magical attacks from enchanted weaponry, and the ability to summon. He's certainly more unique than Landmaster the 3rd, at least.

Top Bottom