• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you want to get better w/ Lucas...learn Olimar

lil cj

Smash Lord
I learned this a while ago in the Olimar boards.I learned that Lucas and Olimar are very similar, almost identical...Both have a spammable side b,ranged grab,tether recovery, a powerful Nair, and both are not even that popular(but still fun to play)I was told if u get used to Olimar's play style and get good with him it will enhanced your Lucas skills and vice versa. This really works, I noticed the more I played and learned Olimar the better my Lucas became.I dont know why this happens:confused:...but it sure does work:)
Who knew that the little space man could be helpful to Lucas.
This also opens up a question...
We all know Olimar is one of the best...right?
and we know Olimar has more weaknesses than Lucas...right??
And yet he is still considered better than Lucas and higher on the tier list.
But if they r similar then shouldnt they be equal??
Jus a thought:)
Also Lucas is actually a tough match up for Olimar:confused:
As an Olimar user myself I have trouble with Lucas(my #1 main)
My point is whatever Olimar has going for him, maybe the same can be done with Lucas.
Olimar wins alot more tournaments than Lucas:(
The Olimar mains have found ways to get around his weakness(recovery)
And us Lucas mains can find a way past Lucas's weakness too.
Can we discuss

Noraa

Smash Lord
I actualy agree with this, i use olimar as a back up for matchups that hard for me.
Its nice because i really dont need to change play styles.

Thanks for sharing =]

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I don't feel like using Olimar. :ohwell:

Olimar ain't got nothin' on Lucas 'cause Olimar ain't got PK... STARSTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORM!

...Yep.

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
I use Lucas a lot and he's possibly my best character. I've tried picking up olimar multiple times, but he just doesnt work for me. I can see how they are similar, but to me they are still way too different.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I tried Olimar before.

I honestly don't see the resemblance to Lucas.

The only one who's remotely close to Lucas is Ness, and even than, there's lots of relearning involved.

lil cj

Smash Lord
I tried Olimar before.

I honestly don't see the resemblance to Lucas.

The only one who's remotely close to Lucas is Ness, and even than, there's lots of relearning involved.

Your right about dat:)
Lucas is a clone of Ness so they r identical yet so different
Olimar is more difficult to play than Lucas, but they still have very similar play styles IMO
I know its hard to believe....
I used to think the same thing, until an Olimar main pointed it out.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
-sigh-
this thread was more of a letdown than the "PK blizzard" thread.

no offense to my fellow lucas' but the lucas boards are so bad >_>

i don't exactly see the resemblance between the two either. for the reasons you listed, i could say ZSS, samus, TL, Link and maybe even ivysaur is going to help.

Pk-Ray

Smash Cadet
I liked Olimar , as he was slightly spam-able.

But now , playing Lucas , you sudden;y realise how much power Lucs has in comparison to the little Pikmin King.

Smartidiot

Smash Rookie
-sigh-

i don't exactly see the resemblance between the two either. for the reasons you listed, i could say ZSS, samus, TL, Link and maybe even ivysaur is going to help.
I feel you. :(
What happened to the Lucas board?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
^ lol

Hmm...I used to mess around with Olimar, but pretty much dropped him after a while. Maybe it's time for me to start using him again...

lil cj

Smash Lord
-sigh-

Im jus tryna get Lucas more popular and start a discussion:(
I will think of something:)

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Oh yeah, and lucas has better recovery options then olimar does =/

pianodude700

Smash Journeyman
-sigh-

Those of you hating on the lucas boards:
I don't see you trying to contribute anything.
I don't see an even relatively significant # of posts from you

Until you can contribute in here and use logical argument for why you don't like the things being done from people trying to help YOU and EVERY OTHER lucas player out there, accept the fact that we are playing no where near as popular of a character and the information is going to come a little slower than most other boards.

</flame>

Levitas

the moon
Honestly, though, there are some things that don't need to be said.

I can see how lucas and Olimar would fit together, but I really think the best way to get good with lucas is to play... lucas. And the best way to get good at brawl is to play a variety of characters. And the best way to get good at any/all smash games quickly is to play melee. I'm not kidding with that last comment, it's absolutely the truth.

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
Those of you hating on the lucas boards:
I don't see you trying to contribute anything.
I don't see an even relatively significant # of posts from you

Until you can contribute in here and use logical argument for why you don't like the things being done from people trying to help YOU and EVERY OTHER lucas player out there, accept the fact that we are playing no where near as popular of a character and the information is going to come a little slower than most other boards.

</flame>
I don't contribute much because i don't have much new information to say. When i do contribute it's to help a struggling player. i wasn't trying to start an arguement at all. where did that come from? I just expressed my opinion. i'm guessing my opinion isn't needed here, since it's bringing negativety around. Your last statement is definitely correct.

BTW number of posts =/= quality of posts. i could have 1000 posts of spam or 50 posts of logical and intellectual things to say. numbers don't mean much in posting. i'm not arguing with you, just expressing my opinion again.

Honestly, though, there are some things that don't need to be said.

I can see how lucas and Olimar would fit together, but I really think the best way to get good with lucas is to play... lucas. And the best way to get good at brawl is to play a variety of characters. And the best way to get good at any/all smash games quickly is to play melee. I'm not kidding with that last comment, it's absolutely the truth.
the man speaks the truth.

Excellence

Smash Champion
When I first picked up Lucas, mine was terrible and I could only beat noobs. It wasn't until I picked up and mastered Olimar (or came pretty **** close) that I could actually play Lucas. Maybe it's because of my Defensive-Offensive playstyle, but I use them both extremely well. So I guess your thread has some truth to it, but that doesn't mean using Olimar will warrant you a good Lucas.

Trozz

Smash Ace
I don't see the connection. They have competely different playstyles, approaches, damage techniques, and killing techniques.

You might get better with one mastering the other simply because you'd be getting better at the game in general.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
I would have to disagree that they are "almost identical," although I do agree with most of what you said. The only thing that would help bridge play styles IMO if the fact that they both have a good Nair. Maybe the sideB spammability but they are completely different moves.

I DO, however, counterpick w/ Olimar whenever Lucas falls short, and it usually works. Did wonders for me at the UTD tournament.

I think Olimar is a good compliment to Lucas, and not a "replacement." This might just be my personal playing style of both, however. This is because I keep my Olimar grounded for the most part unless I'm throwing 'mins or trying to textbook combo and my Lucas takes to the air constantly except when trying to KO.

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
If you want to get better as Lucas you probably suck at this game so you should quit, lol
I've seen like 5 of your posts tonight just browsing, and, I'm wondering how you haven't gotten yourself banned yet.

With that out of the way... I always feel like I've gotten better (with lucas) after I spend some time working on using a different character.

PCHU

Smash Lord
You know, dude has a point. After I started maining Olimar, I picked up Lucas again. He was much improved. Dunno how.

eskimo bob

Smash Apprentice
olimar was my first main (since I live in europe I tried learning as much as possible about olimar who seemed to fit my playstyle with the new gameplay in mind) and now I play lucas and I really have 2 agree here, they're the same in a lot of ways (the main difference being lucas recovery being much better in every way afaik), but you playing lucas better because you've played olimar? doubtful. I believe the reason why olimar is higher up than lucas is because olimar's getting sorta popular over time with people such as NC-echo showing off his abilities and we really have no big sethlon-like players that make lucas look good and make people want to play him. I'd help out but I'm frantically trying to find any tourneys or even any other smashers near me. (yes, I check the europe boards regularly.)

mobilisq

Smash Ace
only reason im good with lucas is because im a ***** for ness

so playing one helps the other

though i use lucas' d-air a little too often

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Well, I really don't see to much of a resemblance for Lucas and Olimar based on strategy...

Olimar's game is based on not getting hit out of the stage since his recovery is very poor while it isn't too much of a problem for Lucas to get back on since he has better air speed. Lucas is based more on combos toward edge guarding while Olimar's game is more to racking damage up to kill with a kill move. They don't really seem similar to me...

Top Bottom