• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

if you found out the first new technique, what would you name it?

red stone

Smash Ace
when brawl comes out, there's a high probability that new techniqes will be discovered like dash dancing and pivoting were in melee.

if you discovered a new tech, and you could name it anything you wanted, what would you call it?

personally, i would call one of the new techs "the wednesday special"

just because i think wednesday is unappreciated

Aaron_Sketch

Smash Cadet
I would name the teqnique whatever it relates to, just like how pivoting actually relates to how you attack while you pivot in your dashdance. But as long as it's made by me, and other people catch on to my technique, then I'll be happy.

red stone

Smash Ace
The thing is, if you name is something bland that relates to the technique (l-canceling/cc), then people won't give you credit for coming up with the technique.

to prove it, try to name the person who came up with wavedashing. sure you can name the person who used it well, but you can't name the person who actually invented it

SirKibbleX

Smash Cadet
KibbleRoll (when you wavedash into a roll behind your opponent, then do a jab to setup for air combos. )

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Depends on what it is, so you actually get a clue from the name. Much like dash dancing actually looks like a dance which involves dashing.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Depends on what it is, so you actually get a clue from the name. Much like dash dancing actually looks like a dance which involves dashing.
That is true, I agree. But what about techniques like pillar, shine, and wavedash (also the accompanying waveshine, wavesmash, wavejab etc.)? If you heard these terms but didn't know what they were you would never guess. But then when you find out, it sounds great and still fits the move. I like how with wavedashing, "wave-" has become an implied prefix that means it involves a wavedash. It's almost like Smash phonics or something. :laugh:

KoopaKoot

Smash Apprentice
I think it should have a name based on it's nature. But since I'm here..."the Koopakoot I pwn
you so much at this game!"

ZeroX982

Smash Rookie
If there was a move with no lag, I'd throw in a Zero- prefix. lol smash phonics.

I can see it now...

Zerodash (maybe a spot wd?)
Zeroshot (which oddly enough could be a name for a shl that messed up...)

Infil

Smash Journeyman
There's an obvious choice for this.

The fejbutta. The 'j' is soft, not hard, and the 'e' is as in "mage". It kinda rhymes with this word, but without the hard 'g' at the end.

Absolutely. Let's make it happen, guys. I mean it.

"Short hop, fast-fall, dash-dance to fejbutta!"

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'd call one 'go and die' even if it doesn't kill.

'shffled dair to a go and die' lol.

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
If I were to discover something that proved to be very useful, I'd name it something stupid so people would have to say it all the time. Something like "Poop-sliding".

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The thing is, if you name is something bland that relates to the technique (l-canceling/cc), then people won't give you credit for coming up with the technique.

to prove it, try to name the person who came up with wavedashing. sure you can name the person who used it well, but you can't name the person who actually invented it
The fact you care more about "look at meeeeeee! IIIIIIIIII found something and gave it a ******** name to proove it!" is a lot worse than "I came up with a good name for a technique that fits it perfectly, people may not know I named it, but who cares, I know I did it."

And if you checked the wowwiki or looked through the Official Everything topic there should be a link to who named wavedash (or at least one of them, from what I remember there were afew people who called it that since there's aparently a techinque in Tekken called wavedashing that's similar.

EDIT: And the Ken Combo was named after Ken, not by Ken.

Melo-tone

Smash Cadet
The fact you care more about "look at meeeeeee! IIIIIIIIII found something and gave it a ******** name to proove it!" is a lot worse than "I came up with a good name for a technique that fits it perfectly, people may not know I named it, but who cares, I know I did it."

And if you checked the wowwiki or looked through the Official Everything topic there should be a link to who named wavedash (or at least one of them, from what I remember there were afew people who called it that since there's aparently a techinque in Tekken called wavedashing that's similar.

EDIT: And the Ken Combo was named after Ken, not by Ken.
And here I was thinking the Ken Combo was named after me.

Percon

Smash Lord
I remember that I discovered a small technique in Metroid Prime: Hunters. It wasn't a technique, per se, but rather just an exploit of the judicator.

In jest, I named the technique "Perconning", but I don't think it really caught on. Unfortunately, I think that it might have because ShadowFrezing is based on the same thing. I feel a little bad because of that, even though the two are probably unrelated.

So, if I do discover something in Brawl, I might as well be the one to share it, because it'll be discovered eventually. I'm not naming it "Perconning", though, as I've learned my lesson...

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
If there was something similar to WD but not WD and involved like fast dodging or something "ghosting" would be a neat name : )

And yes there is a Tekken technique called wavedash...

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer

Wavedashing was a name brought over to Smash from another game, though I forget which, by Mattdeezie and the Norcal crew.

Edit: Between me and Mic, we almost have a full post of information.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
The only techniques I can think of that have user names in it were named after a person, and not by it.

Wobbling was named after Wobbles the Phoenix.

Ken Combo, as mentioned by Mic.

And those are the only two I can think of. Most other techniques are named after what they are, or what they look like. SHL, Nanapult, tipper, shinespike, short hop, fast fall, etc...

So, in conclusion, when I discover the newest Pit technique, I'LL CALL IT THE XSYWING.

RVD_fan

Smash Ace
Or maybe I'd make it something really long and complicated so that when I use it people will take so long to tell me what I just did to them that I'll be able to kill them before there done.

And I like the poopsliding idea.

Nietendodude

Smash Ace
if it somthing with a super strong throw I'll call it Heaven to the Stars cause it would throw you so far your corpse will burn in space while your soul rest in heaven.

If it's a chargeable B moves I'll Call it STERIODS!!!

Top Bottom