• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If you could only main a character after playing their game(s)

Would you still be able to play your main?

• Yes

Votes: 42 84.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I can't even play any of my secondaries either

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I can't even play half the roster

• I can't even play the GAME

• Total voters

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I like to joke around with other players and give them crap for maining characters from games they have yet to play, so I decided to make a little fun poll to get numbers on how many people actually have not played their main's game and games represented through out the whole roster for that matter.

Conditions:

You need to have played the installment the hail from or the one that matches their skin.
Ex.
Mother 2 for Ness, 3 for Lucas
FF7 for Cloud
Botw for Link
Castlevainia Dracula X or rondo of blood for richter
And so on

If they have a general appearance identical to many games, you just need to have played a main series game from the franchise.
Ex.
Any DK Country game for DK and Diddy
Any Super Mario title (Bros., 3D land, and games similar to 64 should all count)
Any Pokemon Game

Exceptions:

I'll say Luigi's mansion should be played for Luigi

Any Game and Watch title or handheld should do, even G&W gallery.

Just owning a R.O.B should be good.

Tell me any I missed that should have special rules.

Notes:
Any ports or remakes count for mainline games.

You don't need to COMPLETELY beat the games, but maybe play them at least halfway. (The time it takes to beat different games can differ way to much for that to be fair, I mean compare Xenoblade 1 and Persona 5 to beating a 2D New SMB Game.)

I'll also say you should specifically play a Persona game rather than just any game from the SMT franchise

Edit:
Accidentally sumitted thread before I finished it.
Updated notes section.

Last edited:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I main Shulk and Joker.

180+ hours in Xenoblade Chronicles
160+ hours in Persona 5

...Yeah, I think I'm good.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Well I kinda only main characters from my fave games so, I’m already there. I don’t play as Luminary Hero cause I haven’t played DQ XI yet, but I’m set with the rest. Also, Sonic and Megaman? I’ve played games people probably haven’t even hear of lol.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I don't think I even play any characters whose home games I haven't played. I guess if you want an argument you could say that I didn't actually like Splatoon... but I did play it, at least once. Or are we requiring, like, completion?

:ultbowser::ultganondorf::ultmario::ultmegaman::ultmiifighters::ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultyounglink: - Several games
:ultkingdedede::ultyoshi: - 2 games
:ultinkling: - Played a round or two of Splatoon 2

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
My only prior exposure to ROB was Mario Kart DS, so RIP

I've played plenty of Pikmin 2, so Olimar's fine. No Game and Watch, but Piranha Plant, Toon Link and Bowser Jr are all okay

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
:ultdk::ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultkirby::ultwario::ultlucas::ultolimar::ultvillagerf::ultridley::ultsnake::ultrob::ultpacman::ultshulk::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultmiifighters:

Of all these, I haven't played Gyromite, Xenoblade Chronicles, Splatoon and Pokemon Sun/Moon.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I main Ridley and have not played any of the Metroid games. I'm despicable.

My secondaries would be safe though. I've played some of the Zelda games, so Ganondorf is safe. I've played lots of Mario games, so Bowser is safe. I've played several of the Kirby games, so King Dedede is safe.

Bah, I'd probably just go back and play all the Metroid games so I could keep maining Ridley tbh. I kind of want to anyways, but just don't have the time to commit to it right now.

Last edited:

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I guess I'll write about my two mains:
:ultmarth: Was the first character I would main in smash, still do, ended up playing the DS remake of Shadow Dragon. (Marth's tale really needs an echoes remake.)
:ulthero: Eight, aka the Guv was from the first RPG I ever played and I swore to co-main once he was revealed as a skin. Solid choice, as my pals who also invest time into Smash hate fighting me, and Hero now has the risk of getting banned. Thanks Daddy Sakurai.

Edit: Should've mentioned a thingy.

I don't think I even play any characters whose home games I haven't played. I guess if you want an argument you could say that I didn't actually like Splatoon... but I did play it, at least once. Or are we requiring, like, completion?

Nah, I think you're fine. Just playing it is enough to know you're characters general origins, and their inclusion in smash normally avoids any spoilers. Scratch a certain detail related to Xenoblade. I'll add a new condition, thanks for asking.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
:ultkrool:- DKC1 is probably in my top 3 most-beaten-games (granted it's not a long game)
:ultbayonetta1: - Just hit over 100 hours in Bayo 1 alone, not even counting the 40 or 50 I've put into Bayo 2
:ultisabelle: - So many hours into Animal Crossing. ACNL has 300+ hours alone
:ultpokemontrainer: - Played every generation except for 5, so definitely good in this department (Also Fire Red is one of my favorite games, I've used every starter in at least one playthrough.)

Personally I can't bring myself to play a character seriously if I've never played their game. I need that emotional connection.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Feels kinda backwards considering Luigi was in Smash before Luigi's Mansion was even a thing. Luigi is still a Mario character first and foremost anyway, and arguably one of the most important ones.

Anyway.

:ulticeclimbers::ultolimar::ultrob::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer::ultsimon::ultisabelle::ultjoker::ulthero::ultmarth:

These are all the characters I wouldn't be able to main. I'm kind of a huge Nintendo nerd, so I've played a majority of the games these characters come from. :p Even among the ones I listed, I've played several of their games, but I'm trying to respect the "at least halfway " rule. Though there's a few characters that are a little bit... not-obvious when it comes to which games I'd actually need to play. Like, does Symphony of the Night count for Richter? Or... Marth is technically playable in Fire Emblem Awakening, which is a mainline game, but he is the main character in his own game, so what the heck? What about characters like Rosalina, who's clearly from Mario Galaxy, but has only been playable in spin-off games and once in 3D World?

Also, you said you needed to play games that match the character's skins, but what does that mean for characters like Sheik, Roy, or Zero Suit Samus, who were completely redesigned just for Smash?

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
:ultrob: Nope, never played either of his games, or even ever touched a R.O.B. (I use the red and black skin, and I haven’t ever used a Virtual Boy either.) One could argue, however, that R.O.B. in Smash originates more so from the SSE than from his own series, but whatever.

...I haven’t played Ultimate enough to have any secondaries that I’m good enough at to be worth mentioning, so RIP.

In SSF2, which I’ve played much more than I have Ultimate, I main Chibi-Robo and secondary Kirby, BWD, and Wario, and I’m good in terms of all four of those.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:ultlink: Long time Zelda fan here.
:ultsnake: Metal Gear Solid 3 is my favorite game in the series
:ultike: The Tellius games, specifically Radiant Dawn, are two of my favorite Fire Emblem games ever
:ultrosalina: Loved her story in Mario Galaxy. Plus she's my only main in the Mario Kart games since Wii
:ultcloud: Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game in the series next to VI

I will never play as a character without playing their games first.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
:ultjoker:: Don't have a PS4 so I can't play his game. I am looking forward to Scramble though and if Persona 5 is released on PC, I'd absolutely get it.

At least I have :ultsnake: and :ultincineroar: to fall back on.

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
:ultmetaknight::ultolimar::ultkirby::ultbowser::ultdoc::ultcloud::ultmarth::ultsheik:

I've never played FF or Fire Emblem.
I haven't played OoT, but I've played The Legend of Zelda :upsidedown:

5/8, not bad.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
At least half of the cast are from games I never played. I main :ultjigglypuff: and second :ultdarksamus:. I've played Pokemon Red/Blue, Silver/Gold and X/Y. Never played the Metroid Prime series at all. Why do I play these characters? Puff's aerial mobility works for me, and I just picked up DS on a whim.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I decided to try and list which characters I could play as a whole by these rules...

But then I realized that working backwards and seeing which characters I couldn't play might work better.

:ultbanjokazooie::ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultduckhunt::ulthero:(Only Eleven. I've played Dragon Quest 3, 4, and 8):ultjoker::ultgnw::ultdarkpit::ultrob::ultdarksamus::ultshulk::ultrichter::ultwiifittrainer:

Point is, I think I might play too many video games.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
That’s interesting actually. Normally I’m not really gonna have much interest in playing a character, unless I have some sort of attachment to their game(s). Of course, there are a few exceptions.

If you take the characters in my signature (which currently has a disgusting watermark for some reason), it would go as follows:

:ultmario::ultbowserjr::ultpiranha::ultjoker::ultivysaur::ultmewtwo::ultinkling::ultolimar::ultrichter::ultwolf: - All of these characters are from games that I absolutely adore.
:ultyounglink: - Honestly, I’m not that big of a Zelda guy. My main attachment to Yink mostly stems from Melee. I’ve played Ocarina and Majora, but I wouldn’t call either of those my favorite games. Not even my favorite Zelda games tbh. Those would be A Link Between Worlds, and Wind Waker. I just like the boy.
:ultroy: - Kind of similar to Young Link. Loved the character since Melee. Before I even knew what Fire Emblem really was. To this day I actually haven’t even played his game. However, I am a huge Awakening fan. To the point where it’s at least a top 20 game for me. So there’s that.
:ultridley: - I really don’t enjoy Metroid much at all. Haven’t gotten more than like 2 hours into any game. It’s just not quite my thing. I did play a little bit through Super Metroid though, so I did get to do that little tutorial fight with Ridley. But the main reason I play Ridley is out of principle. He’s been in my top 3 most wanted since Smash 4 speculation solely because I felt that the Ridley fans deserved it, and because the character just seemed like it would be cool to play as. And I was right. Ridley is badass.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
You know what, I'll do that too. In fact I started a thread for exactly this a while back.

Franchises I've never played:

:ultvillager::ultisabelle:
:ultbayonetta:
:ultsimon:
:ulthero:
:ultness::ultlucas:
:ultcloud:
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultrobin::ultcorrin:
:ultgnw:
:ultpit::ultpalutena:
:ultsamus::ultridley:
:ultjoker:
:ultolimar:
:ultrob:
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
:ultryu:
:ultwiifittrainer:
:ultshulk:

...a lot more than I thought, actually.

Last edited:

Fenrir-Bolt

Banned via Warnings
Yes, that’s part of the reason why I’ve always enjoyed oe liked smash bros in the first place. I thought it was one of the obvious appeals to the game that goes without mentioning. I was a big fan of nintedno when I was younger and even got to play Starfox and F zero racing, though I didn’t care for it very much. I played xenoblade, most final fantasy games from the main series, Zeld, Mario, Metroid.

I’ve played a few caatlevanias but never got very far in them, metal gear, sonic of course. I think I missed bayonetta Fire Emblem (hard to find and also too time consuming for me like what? Though I played one I believe) but yeah there’s a few I guess I haven’t but I don’t see why it matters.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, right off the bat, all the characters in my signature are safe (I've owned a R.O.B. since the Smash 4 days, before anyone asks) other than maybe Mii Swordfighter; I've played plenty of games with the Miis in them, but I don't think I've ever played Wii Sports, which is generally treated as the Miis' "home" series, so I don't know what the rules would dictate there. (If there's a minimum playtime requirement though, Wii Fit Trainer and Ridley might not qualify, since I've only touched Wii Fit a handful of times and I only played Super Metroid up to about when you get the Grapple Beam, so your mileage may vary.)
As for Mewtwo, while I haven't played any of the Gen 1 Pokemon games (and probably never will), he is catchable in HGSS, XY, and USUM, all of which I have played, so I'd say that counts.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
I like to joke around with other players and give them crap for maining characters from games they have yet to play, so I decided to make a little fun poll to get numbers on how many people actually have not played their main's game and games represented through out the whole roster for that matter.

Conditions:

You need to have played the installment the hail from or the one that matches their skin.
Ex.
Mother 2 for Ness, 3 for Lucas
FF7 for Cloud
Botw for Link
Castlevainia Dracula X or rondo of blood for richter
And so on

If they have a general appearance identical to many games, you just need to have played a main series game from the franchise.
Ex.
Any DK Country game for DK and Diddy
Any Super Mario title (Bros., 3D land, and games similar to 64 should all count)
Any Pokemon Game

Exceptions:

Any Game and Watch title or handheld should do, even G&W gallery.

Just owning a R.O.B should be good.

Tell me any I missed that should have special rules.

Notes:
Any ports or remakes count for mainline games.

You don't need to COMPLETELY beat the games, but maybe play them at least halfway. (The time it takes to beat different games can differ way to much for that to be fair, I mean compare Xenoblade 1 and Persona 5 to beating a 2D New SMB Game.)

Edit:
Accidentally sumitted thread before I finished it.
Updated notes section. I
For Miis (especially Gunner), does playing Wii Sports count?

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
For Miis (especially Gunner), does playing Wii Sports count?
In Ultimate, there is a “Mii” series symbol that isn’t used for any character, but is used to label Sprits from Mii-based games so that you can tell which ones give Mii Fighters the same series bonus. It’s used for multiple different things, like the Streetpass Mii Plaza games, Nintendo Land, and some of the Wii series games that aren’t Wii Fit, such as Wii Party and Wii Music. So, I would argue that any game that focuses on Miis (and isn’t part of another series, like Miis’ appearances in Mario Kart) counts.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Characters I can't main:
:ultmarth::ultroy::ultike::ultcorrinf:: Only played Awakening and Three Houses of the main franchise. I have played Heroes and Warriors in which these characters are also playable though.

:ultshulk:: I've only played Xenoblade X, so Shulk was skipped over

:ultwolf::ultfalco:: Only played Star Fox Adventures but neither of these two star in it.

:ultzss:: Arguable. Played Metroid Prime but that's it of the franchise.

:ultlucas:: Not a big JRPG fan, but did play Ness's game. Lucas not so much.

:ulthero::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultmegaman::ultcloud::ultjoker:: again not a fan of JRPGs in general. Somehow have never played a Megaman game. Not sure how I managed that either.

Everyone else is fair game. Even played with a ROB long ago.

Last edited:

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
I never played Splatoon.
I became a fan of this blue boy :ultinklingboy: because of Mario Kart, instead of Splatoon.
Today, he's my main for both Kart and Smash!

Last edited:

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
Feels kinda backwards considering Luigi was in Smash before Luigi's Mansion was even a thing. Luigi is still a Mario character first and foremost anyway, and arguably one of the most important ones.
Valid, I simply feel that it would make more sense to play that spin-off for Luigi since it's based around, well Luigi, while he's a side/optional character in most other Mario games. (scratch the Luigi version of NSMBU) The reason I decided to include that is due to how LM basically became another sub series like Yoshi games or Warioware.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, my options wouldn't be limited by much. Let's see, all Pokemon are out, but I'm not missing much there. No Roy, Ike, or Corrins unless you count Heroes (or Warriors for the Corrins). Losing Roy is not so bad since Chrom is still on the table. No Lucas. Not too upset about that. I might technically be able to use WFTs, but either way doesn't really affect me. Duck Hunt might be out. No Richter, Snake, Joker, Heroes, or Bayonetta, but, again, not really a big loss for me (I don't even have Joker or the Heroes). Depending on how picky you are about Ken and Ryu, they may or may not be available, but I don't use them much anyway. Can't use Alph, but I can use Olimar.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Bowser is my smash main

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is one of the first games I got (it came with my Nintendo DS)

Yes I will still play as Bowser

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think it'd be easier to list the ones I couldn't play, lol.
:ultdarksamus::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultlucas::ultfalcon::ultgnw::ultsnake::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer::ultduckhunt::ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultrichter::ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie:

Of those the only ones I play with any degree of frequency would be R.O.B. and Joker. But hey, at least I put a ton of time into R.O.B. in Mario Kart DS. :p

There are a few fringe cases though, those being Ike, Zero Suit Samus, and Hero. I haven't played the Tellius duology due to the aftermarket price and not having a machine good enough to emulate them, but I use Ike pretty often in Heroes so I think he counts. I've been playing a lot of the Dragon Quest 11 demo so I guess that counts for Hero, but some may disagree. And Zero Suit only works if you count Justin Bailey lol.

So over all most of the characters I wouldn't be able to play are characters I already don't play.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
My main:
:ultpalutena: Never played a Kid Icarus game in my life, so nope.

Secondaries:
:ultinkling:Yes
:ultyoshi::ultkingdedede::ultjoker::ultcorrinf:All nopes. Though I've played many Mario games with Yoshi in them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom