• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If the timer runs out the player with more time spent in the air will lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The BBR only has influence over those who care to listen. They do not control the metagame haha. They only control the rules of tournaments who's TO's are either in the BBR or very close to it.
THe BBR doesn't control anyone.
Since when did you get this idea.
Thing is though, we are certainly more interested in what is competitive, rather than what is "fun".

More people have played the Smash Brothers series without knowing a BBR exists than those who do.
They should know, its always good to know the group and find out whats going on considering how entrnched it is within the smash community,
If you dont know what the BBR is, then thats on you.
If the BBR decided tomorrow that items are competitive and needed in tourneys, then most tournaments would just ignore them including the MLG.
If the BBR did decide such a thing, I am willing to bet money it would mean a whole lot more than any scrub saying it.
Since, you know, we're intelligent.

Play the game how you want to play it, and if you don't like the BBR rules then run your own tournament and hear people complain to you. Or use their rules and when people complain, you can just say, "Well, that's how the BBR says the rules should be."
People are never satisfied, they will ALWAYS complain.
You can't cater to whiners.

The BBR is nothing more than a group of well-known players. So if you think this timer idea works. Then gather up so friends and host a tournament to try it out!
I am not well known, that rule is **** too.
Let's use common sense, Pierce shouldn't have to say things that the community should already know are inherently bad.

@pierce: Good post.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Interestingly enough if we used regular sudden death (300%) it may actually reduce camping. The better players will not want a match to come down to a coin flip, so for roughy equally skilled players it may encourage them not to camp. I can see a significantly worse player trying to run it to time, but they are worse so the better player should be able to easily prevent that from happening by simply keeping a stock lead (which in a time out the game gives them the win). Shrug. I might actually test this at some of my locals.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
@AZ, I have never been against the usage of Sudden Death to determine a victor. However, for some reason, everyone goes into straight panic mode at the mention of sudden death. The reason I haven't pushed it, is because planking is immune to sudden death, and sudden death has no timer.

EDIT: @ Gunmaster Lombardi

The reason I did not include Falco in my initial example is because he must jump to force an aerial approach, unlike the characters I previously mentioned.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
how about we just increase the timer to 10 minutes to prevent this excessive stalling?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So potentially increase the length of a tournament by 25%? Keep in mind less than 1% of matches go to time and the possibility still exists in 10 minute matches. Also keep in mind that only mlg and pound 4 have actually finished tournaments at the venue. pound 4 ran late but fortunately still finished before the venue kicked people out. Mlg is the only one to finish early. In other words the time should not be increased because most people can't finish a tournament with 8 minute matches, let alone 10 minute matches.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Sudden Death continues on the stage you were just playing on with the same characters.

The timer forces the losing player to approach. We can agree that typically (perhaps not always) but typically the player with less percent on the same stock is losing. We can also agree that percent is easily determined by a readily available indicator at the bottom of the screen. Air time has none of these features.

Additionally, bombs can be dodged on reaction and fall in a pattern. While that might seem to make them more acceptable for competition, the purpose of them is to speed the game up towards a victor. While Sakurai might have assumed that even at the highest level of casual play, the bomb would eventually cause a winner, that is not necessarily true in competative player. Most people will NOT risk approaching, preferring to rely on sudden death to kill their opponent for them if bomb-ombs. No timer means that this could feasibly go on indefinitely with neither player choosing to approach, or getting hit. For this reason alone, I am against sudden death.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
And of course, nothing's stopping metaknight from just gliding under the stage to force his opponent to get off the ledge and onto a bob-omb filled stage

TP

Smash Master
Why aren't you guys going into the actual Sudden Death mode where there are no bombs?

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
The only solution to Metaknight is obviously sudden death.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
wtf, that kirby sucked so hard, ROFL.

Still, a fairly decent example of what I was talking about. You indeed can easily avoid getting hit by a bomb-omb while planking (seriously, air dodge, wtf) and you can also avoid getting hit by bombs and retrieve them.

Still, I'll calling it staged.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Nah, he really didn't see that coming. Mistiming a single jump while planking in sudden death can mean death if you play right.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Do all Sudden Death matches on Bridge of Eldin or some other stage where planking is not an issue.
Bob-ombs won't spawn on areas near the blast zone. On walk-off stages, you don't even have to plank. Just move to the nearest off-screen area and stay in the magnifying glass.

I discredit the idea of using sudden death purely because it seems pointless to have the match decided by something like this. It would be like trying to solve who the winner is with a single round of rock paper scissors. How unfair it would be the person who actually gets timed out, yet is two stocks ahead and to die from a sudden death match >_>

Ace55

Smash Lord
I discredit the idea of using sudden death purely because it seems pointless to have the match decided by something like this. It would be like trying to solve who the winner is with a single round of rock paper scissors. How unfair it would be the person who actually gets timed out, yet is two stocks ahead and to die from a sudden death match >_>
You don't even understand what you're talking about. How do you get 1400+ posts and still don't know something as basic as this?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
How unfair it would be the person who actually gets timed out, yet is two stocks ahead and to die from a sudden death match >_>
actually gets timed out, yet is two stocks ahead and to die from a sudden death match >_>
gets timed out, yet is two stocks ahead

gets timed out, yet is two stocks ahead
Really bro?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Sudden Death only happens when it's same-stock.

However, what he says sort of applies. I could be at 197%, and he can be just coming in from a fresh stock. If my opponent is good enough (and he obviously is considering the current situation), I'd probably try to time him out and take my chances in Sudden Death.

It's almost like an escape route for those in near hopeless circumstances. :x

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Sudden Death only happens when it's same-stock.

However, what he says sort of applies. I could be at 197%, and he can be just coming in from a fresh stock. If my opponent is good enough (and he obviously is considering the current situation), I'd probably try to time him out and take my chances in Sudden Death.

It's almost like an escape route for those in near hopeless circumstances. :x
Very true. The game neutralizes out, and instead of rewarding the player who had a lead by allowing them to play defensively, it punishes that player by forcing them to approach and quickly finish off their target, which is why our current system is the way it is.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I'm going to lock this.

If you guys want to talk about introducing Sudeen Death, make a new thread.

:)

EDIT: Did this just get ninja locked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom