• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If a tourney were to be held in Pekin, Illinois...

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
well if this does get off the ground and you need help with MELEE I'll be more than happy to volunteer to help. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to enter Brawl as well although winning that may be a bit to easy for my taste lol.

studly

Smash Ace
i played melee for a few hours the other day as it was melee's seventh birthday

but anyway the more i play smash the more likely i am to support a melee tournament

and just so people know
At gamer's sanctuary

Dec 13 2008 12:00
Super Smash Bros. Melee 1v1 tournament

Dec 14 2008 12:00
SSBB 2v2 Team Tournament

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
i played melee for a few hours the other day as it was melee's seventh birthday

but anyway the more i play smash the more likely i am to support a melee tournament

and just so people know
At gamer's sanctuary

Dec 13 2008 12:00
Super Smash Bros. Melee 1v1 tournament

Dec 14 2008 12:00
SSBB 2v2 Team Tournament
Is that date confirmed? If so, I'll schedule work off and go in that day to play.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
*sigh*....Well there goes me winning the Melee tournament xD

Anyways, yes it's confirmed it's on that day, next Saturday. Rules are 4 stock 8 mins, best 2 out of 3 on Final Destination(Yes, it's lame, but it's the best I could get because I think I confused him with counterpicks), and there will be only 2 TVs and 2 Wiis. I'm trying to ask if I could provide my TV and Cube to make things go by faster because if not, the tournament is going to take forever like last month's Brawl 1v1 tournament, if the turnout is good even...

Btw, thanks for offering to help if we actually do get something started around here, Rashad. I already got one friend that plays Melee more than Brawl now(The one that plays Marth, he's actually getting good), one thinks he's good and is going to play the person I stated previously in a $20 money match, and is probably going to lose, and in the process end up playing Smash more so yeah...John also, then I have 2-3 more friends that have potential to be good, they've been casually playing Melee with me and the Marth player, they just need to spend more time learning if they even want to...Yes run-on sentence xOVER9000, listening to music and typing at the same time is rather difficult...

EDIT: By the way Rashad, I'm still trying to get the feel for DI'ing and I have a question. If someone is grabbing me and let's say...uses up throw(Like Fox's up throw) and I just hold right or left while he has me grabbed, is that just a weak DI? Would just timing for when I fly out of his hands and smashing in a direction be more effective? Good god DI is so annoying to get used to, comprehending what direction I'm going to fly in is sometimes so random and I read people really terribly sometimes so I don't end up knowing what they're going to use lol... Guessing just keep playing???

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
If I go to that tourney, I can bring another setup. And counter picks work by first picking a random stage and after that, the loser can pick any of the available counter pick stages and change character(Look at below diagram) And from there if you change character your opponent can also choose to change character or same thing if you pick a certain stage. And don't feel entirely bad, it's not like it's gonna be easy for me lol my roommate and if some others go, it'll be kinda tough.

"The top of a box represents Singles, the bottom of a box represents Doubles.
Red means banned
Yellow means able to be counter-picked
Green means neutral (on random)"

Btw if possible come by and smash tonight because I think my buds are comin by to play and my roomy should be in. So that means bring a copy of smash so we can have an extra tv to play on lol.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Yeah I actually gave him that pic to use for counter picks and tried to give him a scenario on how it all works, and he said for convenience he was just going to use FD still.

About tonight, I might or might not be able to go over to your place depending on a few factors, and I'll have to wait until around 5 or 6 to find out.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Yeah I actually gave him that pic to use for counter picks and tried to give him a scenario on how it all works, and he said for convenience he was just going to use FD still.

About tonight, I might or might not be able to go over to your place depending on a few factors, and I'll have to wait until around 5 or 6 to find out.
Well pm me your number or get on AIM at least so I can figure out if you're comin or not.

studly

Smash Ace
yeah my group doesnt play melee enough but after wednesday... we seem to be getting back into it ...and i can help support any local smash scene.....my crew alone has a wi and two camecubes we could bring to anything

Gamer's Choice INC

Smash Rookie
Just let me know what you guys want to do. With GS having their tourneys next weekend and xmas around the corner and all, I am unsure about what dates will work for you guys. I have a Call of Duty 2 v 2 going on this weekend and Gears of War 2 going on the weekend after xmas, so let me know. Surprised GS won't do 4 screens for you guys. Sounds like you will be there for awhile. Anyway, let me know.

studly

Smash Ace
im not sure yet if im going to the melee...its difficult to get down more than once in a weekend...but if i do dont expect anyone from my crew to be much of a challenge..we all suck at melee now

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Ugh, seriously guys lol. I want to see a Melee scene in this area,There are still way too many Brawl lovers who still don't understand what makes a truly good game. If you guys need practice or pointers in Melee, me and my homies will gladly help we're not those elitist people who refuse to help people I love showin nubies the way of the game. I'm tempted to not show up at all if there isn't enough Melee entries though because showin up just for a Brawl tourney in Pekin will not amuse me at all lol.

Dart

Smash Lord
Well the only thing i really need to learn is how to use wavedashing effectively...i can do it but not with purpose :/ and probably L canceling too

yeah now melee feels so slow because im trying to buffer and move the character in non-melee capable ways...now i can barely spike :/

studly

Smash Ace
yeah the only real problem i have is that i try to buffer moves out of habbit from playing brawl and the result is split seconds of idleness

D

Deleted member

lol,thats the 3rd buyback in a row for me.Toon Link is definitely better than DDD when there's more than 2 people. Also does anyone else notice the lag on the screens there? Every time i play at gamers sanctuary everything feels wayyyy slower than the tv i play on now.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
What you're noticing is projector/LCD screen lag. LCDs and projectors are primarily focused on TV viewing rather than gaming, and that's why VGA cords were invented, and that's to reduce the input lag that LCDs/projectors provide.

I'm guessing you play on a CRT(large *** tv, not a slim as an LCD)? If so, those are designed for both TV and gaming and are definitely the better choice if no VGA cables are available...

By the way, it's finally been done. Counter-picks. Best 2 out of 3. Holy ****, never thought this day would come where I wouldn't be screwed by the flatness of FD EVERY ROUND. I'm messaging A.J. right now with a list of Brawl counter-picks, neutral randoms, and banned stages!!! Hopefully he'll also allow all the other tournament rules such as both players being able to ban a stage of their choice, so that their opponent can't counter pick it...I guess I'll message him about that too!

D

Deleted member

yeah,i use a CRT lol. Gah that lcd lag messes me up BIG time. Like the lag is so little but the effect is so much. Everything needs to be perfect or i have big problems lol.

studly

Smash Ace
@ Hastule... that buyback was so very silly... mmm toon link and kirby vs Falcon and Ganon ... lol

By the way, it's finally been done. Counter-picks. Best 2 out of 3. Holy ****, never thought this day would come where I wouldn't be screwed by the flatness of FD EVERY ROUND.
finally ... finally... finally ....Thank God

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Well that's good. Maybe next time I'll go to this Brawl tourney if there is Melee of course. And ask the guy about the stupid store credit thing lol.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Well see, they don't have both tourneys on the same day, it's more of a "Smash Weekend." That means like Brawl or Melee on Sat., and the other on Sunday.

I'm waiting for him to respond to the ginormous wall of text I sent him on Myspace about counterpicks and whatnot, and then I'll try to find a clever way to get him to give us cash prizes instead of store credit, eventually...

It really sucks that as X-mas break gets closer and closer, I still haven't really got to organizing a tournament of some sort =(. Mainly being, I haven't really seen any astounding venues to hold it at. Either it's too small of a size for it to be worth people to come in from Chicago and whatnot, or it costs an abysmal amount of $ for such a short amount of time...So yeah, might need some help with this part?

Also, about the Brawl 2v2 tournament...I really wish A.J. would put Friendly Fire on, because that would've completely ruined that ZSS/Ike team. Their spacing was horrendous, I mean if FF was on, ZSS would either be stunning Ike as well, or Ike would be demolishing ZSS with one of his smashes; same with ZSS's armor throw spam. It just emphasizes spacing so much more, and it'd really break a few teams and actually make them work at it as more of a team effort rather than like a 2v1 or 1v1 situation(For example, poor little Snake wouldn't be able to mortar slide as much, Josh ;P). Plus, FD helped a LOT of teams out >_> Getting really sick of that map, can't wait until next month when we have counter-picks...

Studly, I'm sorry, I know you don't like my wall of texts, but it just had to be done! Again!

D

Deleted member

haha yeah the buyback was definitely silly i agree. Although we won that match i got kinda pissed at the end cause of my bro lol. I had been working on wracking up the damage on whichever one of you was captain falcon and he got that double kill with the stupid brick at the end. I wanted that kill!! lol. I got ksed in every single game i play, all the freakin time. I dont care if our team came out winning,its not worth winning if its not MY victory hahaha. Im selfish about that sort of thing lol.

And im definitely starting to like toon link now more then ever.Im surprised more people dont use him to be honest.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
There's people called "tier whores" :/ Example: Mew2King...Started out a D3 player and is guess what now? Metaknight v_v. My friend only played as him because we really hadn't played Brawl much at all(again, lol) and we really just came in joking around, and did quite well IMO. Seriously though, I really do want to main R.O.B. now...no tier whoring, he just seems like an underdog IMO and is ub3r funny :p.

Nothing beats knee'ing myself to 1st with Captain Falcon though xD. Ooo boy Saturday was fun/ny

studly

Smash Ace
haha yeah the buyback was definitely silly i agree. Although we won that match i got kinda pissed at the end cause of my bro lol. I had been working on wracking up the damage on whichever one of you was captain falcon and he got that double kill with the stupid brick at the end. I wanted that kill!! lol. I got ksed in every single game i play, all the freakin time. I dont care if our team came out winning,its not worth winning if its not MY victory hahaha. Im selfish about that sort of thing lol.

And im definitely starting to like toon link now more then ever.Im surprised more people dont use him to be honest.
yeah we saw your character choice...thought about the horrible projectile problem and then decided to ignore it thusly....and the result was a horribly horrendous match...both ganon and falcon have nothing against projectiles

There's people called "tier whores" :/ Example: Mew2King...Started out a D3 player and is guess what now? Metaknight v_v. My friend only played as him because we really hadn't played Brawl much at all(again, lol) and we really just came in joking around, and did quite well IMO. Seriously though, I really do want to main R.O.B. now...no tier whoring, he just seems like an underdog IMO and is ub3r funny :p.

Nothing beats knee'ing myself to 1st with Captain Falcon though xD. Ooo boy Saturday was fun/ny
you could call me the exact opposite of a tier *****...as i hate anything even close to being top

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, I wasn't implying that you are tier whoring, I was just replying to Hastule. People probably don't play Toon Link as much because he's not as high on the tier list, and some people play the game for the $ more than the fun.

I, on the other hand, am just lucky that a majority of the characters I like are high tier material ^_^ You could say, "Well, then why don't you play Captain Falcon?", and my answer is simply that his knee is very awkward to sweetspot and combos don't exist in Brawl :/ That's what makes me love him so much in Melee lol. So yeah, there's my reasoning, if it actually was reasoning, for usually playing high tier characters :p.

studly

Smash Ace
so whens the Gamer's sanctuary best of 3 tournament going to be?

and if youve ever tried maining toonlink..
hes odd at first...then you see him as being awesome ...and then you get bored of him...at least that what happened to me...i used to main random before ganon and now i have useless knowledge on half the characters in the game

and oddly enough i suck with most of the high tier characters

and Gooey... what town/city are you trying to get your tournament in...cuz like i said i can get a wii there...and two gamecubes + if its melee....and maybe a TV or Projector

i also have a church we can go to (like i also said earlier) that is completly open with no venue fee or absurd restrictions ... it has a large back room probably 2 to 3 times larger that the back room at Gamer's Sanctuary.....the only downside beeing that its here in elmwood

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Well if I could help it, it'd be nice to have a tournament around East Peoria, so it's somewhat close to my house for emergency reasons I suppose...

I've heard a rumor from a friend that there is someone who wants to hold tournaments and is trying currently to ask permission of some venue, so I'm waiting for info on that actually...

Dart

Smash Lord
This could get me warned...but hey does anyone think we should start a thread for our crew explicitly? and get rashad to freaking post!

Top Bottom