• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

If a tourney were to be held in Pekin, Illinois...

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Idk really, my main is actually Wario, but I decided to use G&W because it seemed like he would do better in a FFA, idk....Probably bust out C. Falcon or DK against people I know who are bad...

flipkid

Smash Apprentice
we play thursday evenings in downtown peoria..

fyi i play wario too in brawl.. not many that do i feel he's underrated..

but right now we're too crowded at our downtown spot we'd have to go somewhere else if we added mroe people

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Oh, do you play with BlackPanther by chance? I never got to play with him and I still want to...if you ever get a couple of free spaces just notify me and I'll try to bring a friend with me(Depending on who it is, they may not be good though :p)

flipkid

Smash Apprentice
actually yeah we play at his place.. then again it gets a lil crowded so it would be on him if he wants/is ok w/more people....of course im not gonna volunteer his place... however imo the more the merrier if space permits.

then again we all are pretty much the same skill level so if we added people significantly better or worse it might detract from the excellence...

studly

Smash Ace
actually yeah we play at his place.. then again it gets a lil crowded so it would be on him if he wants/is ok w/more people....of course im not gonna volunteer his place... however imo the more the merrier if space permits.

then again we all are pretty much the same skill level so if we added people significantly better or worse it might detract from the excellence...
it would be epic...if we all met up sometime......if u let me in id bring legion598 with me...he mains marth and c. Falcon

ive been looking for a long time to find some smash action in this area

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Hmmm...just curious but, how many people usually show up at his place each time?

And also, after playing Melee again, I realize I'm going to need to play ALOT more often to get better again, it seemed a little hard to do all the ATs I use to be able to do.

Anyways, I guess ask if maybe me and a friend could mosey on over if we ever get the chance without crowding the place up too much. Going to have to practice a bit though to not be nooby if I were to show up :p

D

Deleted member

lol hey everyone! So I think im a tad late posting here,but i finally,FINALLY made an account on smashboards. I usually just lurk the site haha. But anyway, Im the guy who won the buy-back round playing as Toon Link at the Gamer's Sanctuary tournament last Saturday.

And if you guys are looking for brawl players, Tremont has a decent number of them. The only downside is they are all generally younger, so their parents may or may not allow them to go off to tournaments hosted by random people,lol. But they have proven to be very mature despite the cliche gaming youngster who whines everytime they lose. The only exception to the maturity would be "Tiffany",if anyone remembers him from Gamer's Sanctuary.While he doesnt whine alot.....hes so freakin annoying >_< The next tournament at Gamer's has a good chance of being flooded with kids from my town.

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
Whew, a lots happened since I last posted! As for our fight, Gooey, it was close down the very last moment, I meant it when I said that was the most intense battle I've ever had... o.o

Also, I agree with absoltuely everything you said about the tournament at GS. I'd really love to see the full SBR ruleset used there as it would enhance the scene so much. Actually if I was thinking I would've suggested Smashville for our last battle. I feel it is Brawl's most balanced stage, if not the most balanced stage in the entire series with Battlefield being a close second. Someone was at least able to convince the GS people to use 3 stock 8 minutes, as before it was 5 stock no time... which made for mind numbingly long tournaments, but still I think that constructive input from all of us might be able to make a difference. In other news, they held a Soul Calibur 4 tournament this saturday and nobody showed up, wooow.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all again at the next tournament! Hopefully we can get to fight, studly. :)

D

Deleted member

well that sucks
lol,not really. They are all fodder,which makes getting to the later rounds much easier.That is, unless you are unfortunate enough to still be matched against the best of the best earlier on,hahaha.

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Don't expect Soul Caliber to have a big turn out ever around here tbh...

I don't even have to go to a tourney to know all there is is Maxi spammers and Kilik spammers...

Anyways, currently playing Melee, I miss its awesomeness so much! Send a suggestion to the dude at GS to hold a SSBM 1v1 standard rules tourney on like the 29th or whatever it is, maybe he'll play it.

And before I go, studly, please make sure these kids come, more money for whichever one of us wins :p Anyways, I think kids pouting is all the more enjoyable >:D

studly

Smash Ace
Don't expect Soul Caliber to have a big turn out ever around here tbh...

I don't even have to go to a tourney to know all there is is Maxi spammers and Kilik spammers...

Anyways, currently playing Melee, I miss its awesomeness so much! Send a suggestion to the dude at GS to hold a SSBM 1v1 standard rules tourney on like the 29th or whatever it is, maybe he'll play it.

And before I go, studly, please make sure these kids come, more money for whichever one of us wins :p Anyways, I think kids pouting is all the more enjoyable >:D
either you just referred to the people i said id bring a while earlier or you misunderstood me talking about the kids hastule said were gonna show up

either way im bring a packed car....a marth, a ROB, a falco, a luigi, and my ganon

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Yeah, it was just a misunderstanding :p That last paragraph was meant to be directed to Hastule. By the way, I'm trying to hastle one of my friends who was halfway decent when he used to play into coming. Mostly he'll be playing Olimar or Marth...

Also, I'm bringing my friend who mains MK/Lucario again, but he's really not THAT hard after you get past the nado spam >_>

chewyy

Smash Ace
hey I might be able to/want to come to one of these........
more info please? :)
like....
entry fee, time, date, prize money.... etc.

just wondering........... kinda

oh yeah, and how many people usually make this?

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Entry fee is $5 for the single elimination bracket, and once you lose(if you do) you wait for the rest of this bracket to finish. The person who wins instantly gets 1st place and doesn't get to participate in the buy-back round which is $5 for everyone that has lost, and then the buy-back bracket starts and whomever wins gets 2nd.

The time is probably going to be at noon, but it's been at 6 PM sometimes, just check Gamer's Sanctuary's myspace every once and awhile and they'll make a blog with the time info.

The date is Nov. 15th, I believe a Sat. iirc...

The prize money is a pretty fair split between 1st and 2nd(1st gets a bit more, ofc) with the downside being that the prize can either be given to you fully in store credit, or you split that amount in half and get irl $. Ex: $50 in store credit, $25 in cash

The turnout seems to be over 20 AT LEAST for this singles tournament...might be more but for the most part about half of them are noobs :/. Also, it's 3 stock 8 mins(I think, I know it's 3 stock) on FD, best 1 out of 1(time constraints I guess because they only use 1 projector for all the matches)

Hopefully that informed you enough. It's pretty lame IMO, but it's the best we've got for tournaments so far here in central Illinois...At least, until I can HOPEFULLY arrange that tourney I want to do during winter, but it's going to take some plotting :p(Btw, this tournament I'm talking about would be amateurs and up, no noobs that have no clue what anything does, to make it more enjoyable for people that may happen to come from farther away places, that are good, but once again, this whole tournament idea is still being worked on)

D

Deleted member

Actually im pretty sure the next tournament is going to be 8 minutes 5 stock,but i could be wrong. I just kinda doubt it will only be 3 stock because an 8 minute time limit is ridiculously long with that many lives,lol. Not to mention the last 1v1 they had was 5 stock 7 minutes and rarely did a sudden death happen.

I can't wait for the next tournament though! It wasn't till this summer that i started going to Gamer's Sanctuary and play in the tournaments and before they existed i never knew of any other place to go. There is Magic Lan in Morton but you have to bring your own PC and i dread moving my bulky setup with 2 monitors and my ancient set of speakers which require the sub woofer just to power themselves,lol. And i know i could live without 1 monitor,but i'd have to change Nvidia setting's and i dont feel like messing with those so my PC is staying right where its at,lol.

But yeah, I hope to see all you guys again at the next one, it'll be a lot more interesting to see real skill involved in every match for a change,hahaha.

studly

Smash Ace
Actually im pretty sure the next tournament is going to be 8 minutes 5 stock,.
he announcced it while we were there as three stock and an 8 min time limit

I can HOPEFULLY arrange that tourney I want to do during winter, but it's going to take some plotting
any tournament you do i can bring one or two TV's and a wii
unless you want to work together

so if any of you know where elmwood is i might have something for you

theres a church there with a huge back foyer...a nice projector and a TV that is only being used to play smash on during their youth group

it has room for around 30 people

anywho...i could easily get permission to do a tournament here... no strings attached...at all.
it has a large parking lot..and the only constraint is that we have to do it while there are no church events goinbg on...wich is pretty much anytime we want at all

chewyy

Smash Ace
(Btw, this tournament I'm talking about would be amateurs and up, no noobs that have no clue what anything does, to make it more enjoyable for people that may happen to come from farther away places, that are good, but once again, this whole tournament idea is still being worked on)
I don't know... noobs that don't know what they're doing are easy wins and more prize money :laugh:

and how would you make it sure no noobs showed up? :p

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
First, I'll address Hastule. Not to bash or anything, but 5 stock 7 minutes is pretty terrible IMO. The reasoning behind this is because sudden death CAN be a factor with just the right stalling, and we all know that sudden death =/= skill. 3 stock 8 minutes is the competitive standard and is just enough time and stock for either player to knock off the 3 stock from their opponent, unless they're in a lockdown type of situation, which is usually boring(I've even seen pro vids of this happening, and they're no better than noobs in this situation. Example: D3 spamming Waddle Dee/Doos appropriately to keep their opponent away from them >_>) and they deserve to be flung into the randomness of SD :p. I'd just like to let it be known now, I've only lost twice in 1v1 GS tournaments WITHOUT it being in SD, and it gets very old being stuck in a situation where SD screws you out of a chance at winning a prize. Just my two cents on that whole situation.

Now for you, studly :p. One of my friends that has been to various gaming tournaments throughout central IL has found a church in Creve Coeur (relatively close to my house, and it'd be more convenient for a host to be near their home in the case that something completely odd were to occur...don't know what but yeah) and I'm going to be checking it out sometime next month maybe if I get the time and see how much it'd cost to rent it out for a whole day on a Saturday(Can't do Sundays, kind of obvious) and we'll go from there.

Yeah, big headache typing this post, hopefully it's all fluid and understandable!

studly

Smash Ace
Now for you, studly :p. One of my friends that has been to various gaming tournaments throughout central IL has found a church in Creve Coeur (relatively close to my house, and it'd be more convenient for a host to be near their home in the case that something completely odd were to occur...don't know what but yeah) and I'm going to be checking it out sometime next month maybe if I get the time and see how much it'd cost to rent it out for a whole day on a Saturday(Can't do Sundays, kind of obvious) and we'll go from there.

Yeah, big headache typing this post, hopefully it's all fluid and understandable!

awesome awesome...i can still get yah two TV's and a Wii

my church wont caust us anything by the way

flipkid

Smash Apprentice

so we smashed today and i brought up this thread and the guys were actually into smashing with yall... soo next week wednesday or thursday we'll have our next smashfest...

fyi we'vell played brawl so i guess there's an outside shot we'd play a couple sets if people realllly want it... but it's gonna be melee for the most part

also fyi... between champaign bloomington and springfield, there are a decent number of tourneys around here.. that's not even counting chicago..

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Hmm, around what time are these smashfests at? Next week on Thursday sounds pretty cool considering I'm skipping Friday to go to the midnight launch for Gears 2(Lame, but it's only a half day anyways) and I'll need something to do after school is over...Hmm...think bringing a friend would be fine too? Idk if he's any good at Melee, but we've talked and he didn't seem reluctant to play Melee, he just told me he never got into competitive smash until Brawl came out, so yeah...Whatever, that part was really hard and confusing to type xD

I'm fine with Melee or Brawl, although I'll probably get **** on more on Melee because I'm still SD'ing with Falcon too much :p

D

Deleted member

Yeah Gooey i agree with you on the SD stuff,hahaha. I'm pretty sure you were the one i SD'ed in twice,right? lol. First time you got the edgehog and the 2nd match i got my recovery move on you with TL i believe,lol. The worst part about SD,ESPECIALLY on FD are the bob-ombs that spawn after like 20-30 seconds or something. When a bomb kills someone it is a totally undeserved win for the person who survives.

And speaking of undeserved wins, if you are the person i am thinking of then that one match where you both got hit by bombs and won against Tifanny's friend was total BS hahahaha. You got hit by the bomb first but went flying off in the background before dying,buying you just enough time to win when he flew directly off and died,hahaha. I knew that would happen eventually. Then again, in a sense you did sorta deserve it maybe? Cause (and i could be wrong) but im pretty sure technically,G&W is the 2nd lightest character under jiggles,and im pretty sure light characters are meant to fly away like that more often than others. I could be wrong though, haha.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
There is a high chance of St. Louis being interested in any IL tourney...

studly

Smash Ace
so we smashed today and i brought up this thread and the guys were actually into smashing with yall... soo next week wednesday or thursday we'll have our next smashfest...

fyi we'vell played brawl so i guess there's an outside shot we'd play a couple sets if people realllly want it... but it's gonna be melee for the most part

also fyi... between champaign bloomington and springfield, there are a decent number of tourneys around here.. that's not even counting chicago..
awesome...ill try and get there

we will have a new president before i get to play in another tournament

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
This is funny because I live hella close to Pekin, I live in the downtown Peoria area. But I refuse to play a Brawl tourney. Make this Melee and I can bring several people to this tourney =).

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I'm also still contemplating on what tournaments we'd have there.

If whomever allows me to rent out their place says I can have it from noon to some decent time at night, I figure a single and doubles tournament for Brawl wouldn't take up TOO much time, so I could throw in some other tourneys, which would definitely be Melee ^^ Hell, if anything, we could just have Brawl and Melee singles.

PS: Blackpanther, incase you didn't know, this is FireFoxxx with a new account, just decided for the name change when my cousin tried copying me and when I named my Xbox Live account this :p Btw, I watched your combo video, you're way better than I expected xD! I'd probably get pooped on with my C. Falcon vs. your Fox if I were to go next week or whenever I got the time to, but eh, it's how people get better.

Once again, confusing post! Was talking on the phone this time while typing it out :p

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Heh, I see yeah I didn't know that was you lol. Like I said though, I would be more inclined to come if this was Melee because I can't stand to play a full match in Brawl, it's just so god ****ed boring. Although Brawl is the new game I really see now value in playing it. I'm sure people will still come though so don't be discouraged but I would probably be able to bring a few people as I said before.

studly

Smash Ace
Heh, I see yeah I didn't know that was you lol. Like I said though, I would be more inclined to come if this was Melee because I can't stand to play a full match in Brawl, it's just so god ****ed boring. Although Brawl is the new game I really see now value in playing it. I'm sure people will still come though so don't be discouraged but I would probably be able to bring a few people as I said before.
im getting brawl+ would you be interested in playing that?

Your thrashing of brawl put a bad taste in my mouth...i know melees better but please respect us enough to realize that our opinions may vary about whether or not brawl is a fun game

anywho im for a melee tournament (although im fairly rusty)

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
And I care because? Now if you had read that you woulda seen that I wasn't bein a complete ******* about it. Sure I bad mouthed Brawl but thats because I have a good reason to. I was bein positive and said that people would still show up but if he wanted more people I could bring some people would definitely be MORE interested in playing Melee and not Brawl. I'm done arguin though, this was a topic about people showin up at a tourney in Pekin and I gave my answer and that's all there is to it.

studly

Smash Ace
i read what you wrote... i wasnt making a big deal about it....i was just saying ...like i also said that i would be interested in a melee tournament

i ment no agression by what i said...

anyway...when does gooey want to do this tournament

flipkid

Smash Apprentice
hey poopfaces.. let's play this week sometime.... I'd offer my place but uhh i don't have a wii/cube... or tv.. or chairs.. tear

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
I was thinking maybe Thursday would be a good day to possibly smash, idk though considering my ride is screwed atm(Door won't close all the way) Depending on if it gets fixed properly by tomorrow, Thursday sounds ok to smash for a few hours, then I have to head to my friend's house because we're going to the Gears 2 midnight launch.

Any other days being pondered upon?

flipkid

Smash Apprentice
sounds good... set a date and time! that's preferrably not thursday.. i think the cat lot is free after hours

i have a spare cube but no tv. im sure someone has a copy of melee, i know dan does.

also fyii left my controller at your place and id like it back before the weekend

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Well thursday and friday are my two days off so both of those days I can smash it doesn't have to be one or the other it can be both days as well and yes I realized that and Grant has been playin on it lol =P.

Top Bottom