• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ideas for Revamping Older Characters

D

Deleted member

Pre-Brawl specifically, a lot of Smash Bros. characters seem to have gotten the short end of the stick when it comes to their movesets representing their character or series well. So for some of those characters, I wanted to propose changes that I think would make them more fitting of their character.

:ultmario:Mario:
Shooting a fireball makes sense as an iconic move, and Super Jump Punch is supposed to emulate his iconic block punching jump, but what about a stomping move? Or a hammer attack? Both are extremely iconic to Mario. I think his made-up fire palm Smash Attack (despite it kinda showing up in Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga) should be replaced with a hammer smash, as seen in all of the Mario RPG games as well as Mario's first appearance, Donkey Kong. And while Super Jump Punch was clever, I think it could easily be replaced with something more relevant and iconic, such as a recovery using the well-known Wing Cap from Super Mario 64, or even a recovery using FLUDD, freeing up down special for his favored Mario Tornado or a stomp attack or something.
I like the idea of his cape from Super Mario World (my favorite 2D Mario btw), but I think it can be improved and expanded. How about when Mario's grounded, he spins his cape to turn around enemies/projectiles as usual, but when airborne he actually will use his cape to glide, providing a more horizontal recovery (especially if his up special remains a more vertical recovery)?
Alternatively, he could also always incorporate Cappy as a new side special.

:ultdk:Donkey Kong:
Donkey Kong's Giant Punch and Headbutt reference nothing from his source material so they should go. Neutral B can instead be his Coconut Gun, which fires in spurts. Side special can be...throwing a barrel or something, idk. I haven't played that many DK games. Maybe he charges forward on his Rhino buddy, Rambo is it? That'd be cool.

:ultlink:Link:
Link is actually pretty ok, and I think using remote bombs was a great idea. Gotta have spin attack (sorry Paraglider/Ravioli's Gale proponents), so that stays. Boomerang and Bow are also very iconic. The only sad thing is they removed his hookshot, which is another extremely iconic weapon for Link. The funny thing is, I'm almost certain we'll see the hookshot return in the Zelda series (if not the very next game), so I think removing it was kinda premature. They could have come up with a unique Sheikah hookshot design or something.

:ultsamus:Samus:
Oh Samus....Samus Samus. On paper, her moves seem great--she's got the Charge Beam, Missiles, Screw Attack, Bombs, etc. But the problem is none of these moves feel like how they do in her games, which are mostly side-scrolling too! Why can't we aim any of her projectiles like other characters can? Why doesn't she incorporate some of her other iconic beams, such as wave, ice and plasma? Why isn't her roll the Morph Ball? Also, why is her Morph Ball so small? It's usually not quite that small in her games, and in the Prime games it's as big as she is.
Screw Attack is great as an up special, but it needs much more horizontal momentum, perhaps even letting you bounce two or three times into an enemy--this move should give her one of the best recoveries in the game, but as it is right now her recovery is sub-par. But in Metroid games, she can jump endlessly like Kirby (once getting the Space Jump)!
I think her down special should incorporate her Morph Ball form as more of a toggle; so you press down B to switch to Morph Ball, then A button to drop bombs. Pressing B again will disable Morph Ball mode. Could maybe even roll into enemies for very minor damage/knockback.
Missiles are fine, I guess, as is the Grapple Beam. In a perfect world, her neutral B would remain Charge Shot but she can swap beam types using a taunt or something, and be able to charge each of them. Power Beam would be fast and weak (perhaps more akin to Fox's laser or Mega Man's lemons), while Ice Beam is slower and can freeze, wave beam goes through all platforms/enemies but isn't very powerful, and plasma beam is strong but slow and has a longer cooldown. Also...update her design to that of Samus Returns!!

:ultyoshi:Yoshi:
The Yoshi I'll always prefer was the one we saw in Super Mario World, where they had different abilities depending on their color or the type of shell they had in their mouth.
The thing is, Kirby's copy ability has been adapted to Smash Bros., so why not this ability of Yoshi? How could it work? Well, swallowing enemies will still allow you to lay them as an egg, but Yoshi should be able to eat any projectile which will give him various effects (would kinda work similar to how Villager can pocket anything). If he eats a fire projectile like a bomb or Ness's PK Fire, he'll hold it in his mouth until you press B again, at which point he releases three fireballs. If he eats a heavy projectile like Dedede's Gordo or a cannonball, he gains a stomp ability when he lands, until spitting the item back out. Perhaps eating other energy projectiles like Fox's laser will let him temporarily sprout wings to have multiple jumps. I don't know all the details, I just would love a feature like this in the game for Yoshi.
Also replace his Egg Roll with something more relevant. Maybe that can be Egg Throw, and up special can be an actual recovery?

:ultyounglink:Young Link:
I'm very happy Young Link has returned for Ultimate, and sorely disappointed that they didn't update him at all to be more representative of his Majora's Mask appearance, considering Great Bay is his stage and all.
I mean what's the point of half-athing it by giving him a hookshot and fire arrows but not actually giving him his actual hookshot and hero's bow from Majora's Mask? Why is he still using the OoT Kokiri Sword and Deku Shield instead of the way past cool Hero's Shield and reinforced Kokiri Sword from Majora's Mask? And WHY IN TABUU'S NAME is his Final Smash not Fierce Deity Link???? Like wth?? Talk about biggest missed opportunity of this decade. I know having him transform into his other forms might be too much, but...not even holding a mask in a taunt? Really? DID YOU EVEN MAJORA'S MASK SAKURAI??

:ultganondorf:Ganondorf:
Well, we all know about this one. I do whole-heartedly appreciate the inclusion of his greatsword into his moveset (even if it's not technically "canon"--close enough). Just too bad he can't float at all (besides a fancy taunt) or shoot deadly projectiles. For how to properly depict Ganondorf in a spin-off game, please see Hyrule Warriors. Ganondorf in that game is so perfectly himself in all of his glory that it's hard to contain myself. At least his Final Smash is Ganon, THAT needed to happen for sure.

:ultmewtwo:Mewtwo:
I love the feel of Mewtwo in Smash Bros., but some of his specials are odd choices. Shadow Ball is perfect and iconic, so that needs to stay (though I wish it kept the damaging charge property that Lucario stole). Teleport is....a psychic move, yes. I mean it works, I guess. I think mostly Confusion and Disable need to be reworked. Disable is funny to use when you can land it once every 3 months, but I think a better move would be Barrier, where Mewtwo puts up a bubble shield around him that kinda acts like Shulk's Shield art; increases defense at cost of something else. In fact, we could go full Shulk and give Mewtwo the option to use Barrier, Reflect, Light Screen, Agility, etc. each with different effects.
For his side special, either keep Confusion and make it less risky to use directly on opponents (such as pushing them back or something), or replace it with something more unique like Swift, which would home in on opponents.

Anyway that was super long but I would love for these older characters to be revamped one day, making them truer to their source material. Obviously I'd love to hear what your thoughts are on this as well.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
:ultyoshi:Yoshi:
The Yoshi I'll always prefer was the one we saw in Super Mario World, where they had different abilities depending on their color or the type of shell they had in their mouth.
The thing is, Kirby's copy ability has been adapted to Smash Bros., so why not this ability of Yoshi? How could it work? Well, swallowing enemies will still allow you to lay them as an egg, but Yoshi should be able to eat any projectile which will give him various effects (would kinda work similar to how Villager can pocket anything). If he eats a fire projectile like a bomb or Ness's PK Fire, he'll hold it in his mouth until you press B again, at which point he releases three fireballs. If he eats a heavy projectile like Dedede's Gordo or a cannonball, he gains a stomp ability when he lands, until spitting the item back out. Perhaps eating other energy projectiles like Fox's laser will let him temporarily sprout wings to have multiple jumps. I don't know all the details, I just would love a feature like this in the game for Yoshi.
Also replace his Egg Roll with something more relevant. Maybe that can be Egg Throw, and up special can be an actual recovery?
I just want him to EAT items in the first place like Kirby and Wario. Is that too much to ask?

If they can implement a SMW-inspired ability system, I'd be cool with that :yoshi:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Shulk:

Give him actual Monado arts.

Have his laser-sword actually out at all times instead of being flipped on and off for no reason.

Vision instead of being a linear retaliate button, instead will give Shulk multiple options like buffing himself or debuffing the enemy or doing damage or doing knockback as per usual.

Last edited:

KafkaKomedy

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 8371 3981 5803
:ultdarkpit:
Should not have been a Pit Echo, instead give him the missing weapons types from Uprising; Dark Pit Staff on Neutral B, EZ Cannon on Up B (use it like Lunar Launch, firing a shot downwards that propels him up) Violet Palm and Ogre Club. Dark Pit is more than just a clone in my eyes, and KI could use one more REAL rep I feel.

:ultpikachu:
Pikachu could only learn Skull Bash in one game, and only by TM. Give him Iron Tail instead, that's a very iconic move of his. Other than that though, he's great.

:ultpichu:
Pichu, since he's not an echo, should have at least one special be different from Pikachu. I'd say give him/her Wild Charge to reflect their self damaging nature, and maybe some fairy type moves to reflect their cuteness.

:ultsonic:
Almost none of his moves are references to his games, and he basically has two of the same special. Give him Boost or something.

:ultchrom:
Have him have similar animations to some of Ike's moves, as well as Roy's. Apparently Ike and Chrom are said to have a similar fighting style and I think that could be a cool way to show it.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I am sure there is already a thread for this.
There is, but it got derailed. An argument about whether or not character revamps are a good thing sparked in the thread and ultimately consumed it. Why not give this one a chance?

I have an idea right now, but I am on mobile as I type, so I’ll post my idea later.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Initially I didn't think Kirby needed any changes but after playing some Return to Dreamland today I was reminded that he could incorporate so many more copy abilities....So here we go.

:ultkirby:Kirby:
Kirby's initial moveset was designed before we had anything fancy with standard attacks. Nowadays, we've got standard attack projectiles, and standard attacks that send your character plummeting downwards. I'd like to say I think Stone could be remapped to his down air, but I think there would be too much objection to that, and we'd probably lose the invulnerability, so I guess it can stay. These are the copy abilities that I know of, referenced in his moveset already:

Cutter (up special "final cutter")
Hammer (side special "hammer flip")
Stone (down special)
Fire/Burning (dash attack)
Fighter (jab, side smash, fair?)
Suplex (back, forward, down throws)
Ninja (up throw)
Yo-yo (dash attack)

Basically, this means all of his other moves (besides Inhale) are not based on anything. Obviously he can't reference all of them, but there are certainly some iconic abilities absent from his moveset. So here are some ideas of what could be added:

Slide Kick (down tilt) -- Kirby always has this move in his games, and Cloud can do it, so why not him?
Needle (up air) -- meh why not
Spark (neutral air) -- similar to Mewtwo's neutral air
Ice (forward air) -- specifically the ice sprinkle move; kinda acts like Zelda's nair
Jet (back air) -- similar to Corrin's back air, Kirby blasts foes with this jet which sends him forward a little bit
Water (up smash) -- specifically the geyser move--like Squirtle's up smash but one central hitbox
Cleaning (down smash) -- Kirby sweeps his broom forward and behind him, with a slight windbox as well
Parasol (up tilt) -- besides poking above him, would partially act as a shield
Beam (forward tilt) -- the standard beam whip
Sword (up special) -- this replaces Final Cutter, but acts similarly. It is the upward slash move, and if you input again he descends using sword dive.
Hammer (down air) -- specifically the hammer twirl move, which would function basically the same as his current down air but look cooler
Cutter (side special) -- replacing Hammer, this would let Cutter shine as it should, giving Kirby a cutting projectile, kinda like boomerang tbh.

See? Isn't that so much more creative? I really wanted to include Beetle and Wing too, but couldn't fit them in. Beetle's spiral horn move is such a good move in Triple Deluxe and would be a great up special. Too bad custom moves are gone, huh?

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Samus is the most upsetting character in the game tbh, as someone that grew up playing loads of Metroid. The way her charge beam works is obnoxiously unlike how it works in her games, her recovery makes no sense, and the way her morph ball is implemented is damn near criminal.

Release accurate Samus and remove this abomination pls

D

Deleted member

Samus is the most upsetting character in the game tbh, as someone that grew up playing loads of Metroid. The way her charge beam works is obnoxiously unlike how it works in her games, her recovery makes no sense, and the way her morph ball is implemented is damn near criminal.

Release accurate Samus and remove this abomination pls
Couldn't have said it better myself. I've said this before and I'll say it again: I don't believe Sakurai has played a Metroid game. When I look at how Samus is in Smash, I just can't believe that anyone who has played any Metroid game would be ok with that representation.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Man, I would really like if Snake used more of his militaristic weapons like the tranq, knife, or more CQC techniques, but we all know with the emphasis on children, that would be impossible.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I had an idea I still think should be the case for Link. The fact that Link wasn't made more true to his new design was a bit of a let down. A new design should mean he should get aspects from his games. I always had this idea for him that involved giving him champion powers and making his move set more true to Breath of the Wild.
Jab - It's now a four hit animation that comes from BotW. The first three hits each connects into the next.

Up Smash - If Link is at 0%, the move fires the same beam as Forward Smash but in an upwards direction.

Down Smash - Link spins around swinging his sword around him. This essentially is Spin Attack which used to be his Up Special. He keeps spinning around for a while. If Link is at 0%, the beams from Forward and Up Smash are being rapidly fired out in both directions for the entire duration of the spinning animation, but they're less powerful and don't make the opponents flinch.

Shield - Visually, this is Daruk's Protection. As the shield is poked at, it begins to crack. If the shield breaks or Link preforms a perfect shield, Daruk's spirit will come out between Link and where ever the hit happened and do the animations from hid games. That is just visual though and has no effect on game play. Functionally, the shield prevents shield stabbing as it does not shrink. Apart from that one minor difference, it works just like most characters.

Up Special - Link now uses Revail's Gale. This immediately has Link pull out his Paraglider and has Revail's spirit comes out to create gusts of wind at his feet shooting him upwards quickly. At any point while the paraglider is out, Link can choose to let go of it and preform a move in the air.

Champion Powers
Above his damage gauge, Link gets four gauges in a line each representing his four champion powers. When Link uses the champion powers, the champions will appear like how they did in the game.

Revail's Gale - This gauge represents how much charge Revail's Gale has. Link spawns with Revail's Gale fully charged and it builds up on its own pretty quickly, but it is half depleted when Link uses the move. How high Revail's Gale take Link is based on how charged it is when he uses it.

Daruk's Protection - This gague represents how much health his shield has. It fills up as his shield regenerates and depletes when his shield takes damage. The gauge is fitting because Daruk's Protection is Link's new shield. Performing a perfect shield shows Daruk appearing in front of Link as if he himself is blocking the attack, but it's only for looks as a Perfect Shield is still just a Perfect Shield.

Urbosa's Fury - This gauge represents how much charge Urbosa's Fury has. Much like Limit Gauge, Urbosa's Fury builds up as Link gives or receives damage. The gauge resets completely when the move is used. If Link presses the B Button while charging a Smash Attack and while the gauge is full, a lightning aura appears portraying the area which Urbosa's Fury will cover. It's radius isn't huge, but is pretty big. When the Smash Attack is released, Link uses Urbosa's Fury as well as the Smash Attack. Urbosa appears by Link and deals some damage to opponents in the lightning aura while stunning them for an extended period of time.

Mipha's Grace - This gauge represents how much charge Mipha's Grace has. It fills up and depletes the same way as Urbosa's Fury. When the gauge fills up, Mipha's Grace happens automatically the next frame. Mipha pops out circling around Link and heals a fraction of the damage Link took.
The four champions moves are a part of him in the game this new BOTW Link comes from, so I wanted to incorporate them into his new move set. Some of the other moves I changed in the revamp was trying to stay loyal to the combat system of that game. The Smash Sttack additions was to give him some versatility with that projectile. It also helps declone him further from Young and Toon Link.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
If only :ultmario: had the FLUDD changed for a Cappy throw, that could even have the same effect of push enemies back, I would be happy. I just love to play with Mario, but at the same time I hate to see that water cannon that reminds me the less good game of the series in my opinion.

D

Deleted member

If only :ultmario: had the FLUDD changed for a Cappy throw, that could even have the same effect of push enemies back, I would be happy. I just love to play with Mario, but at the same time I hate to see that water cannon that reminds me the less good game of the series in my opinion.
Well hey now, Mario Sunshine was my jam back in the day and I could easily go off on why it's an amazing game and why I love it, but I'll restrain for now. Just remember that while it's popular these days to crap on that game, it did a LOT of things right. A LOT. But...must restrain...from launching into Mario Sunshine defense rant....

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think that samus being able to shoot in eight directions (at least missiles) would help her long time.. and While it was outlandish for smash 64, i don't think it would even be the most outlandish and versatile projectile now :/

I also would love the ice beam also being implementated in his moveset akin to the flamethrower, even if as a "shotgun melee" kind of weapon, although i wouldnt mind a fair akin to mii gunner or villager :o

As for ganon.. with the ages ive learn to acept and catually like his actual moveset... but warlock punch is useless and noone would miss it it got replaced with dead man's volley.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
:ultsamus:
Jab 1: Remove the Sakurai angle and this attack will be better.

Dash attack: Increase the hitbox size so the shock wave produced in the front. Early dash attacks will be safe that way. Bring back the combo set-up. Keep it as kill potential.

U-tilt: Replace with Melee Counter animation. Grant this attack high priority to stop fully charged projectiles, or make it reflect. Allow for the same range f-tilt currently covers.

F-tilt: Reduce cool down.

D-tilt: Since it seems it has a little more cool down, perhaps giving it back its kill potential would be a good trade-off.

U-smash: Give this attack a little more range so it can hit opponents like Mario consistently. Give it an auto-link angle like Link's u-smash so no one falls out.

F-smash: More range. Fix its whiffing. It still whiffs.

D-smash: Give Samus Mii Gunner's d-smash, but fix it so that unlike Mii Gunner's d-smash, the second part of the attack connects. Give this kill potential.

U-air: Increase the hitbox of Samus' attack so her entire body is a hitbox. Make her legs disjointed hitboxes.

F-air: It looks like this was improved, now that FAF is reduced when landing. Finally. Let's hope it cannot be easily SDI'd.

B-air: Fine as is.

D-air: It looks like it's faster. Anyone remember the time Samus' d-air was super fast in SSB64?

Charge Shot: Well, this got buffed, finally. Thanks. Angling it might be a good idea now.

Screw Attack: I don't like that certain characters can do whatever they want after using their up special. Why can't Samus? She can do it in her games. If this isn't going to happen, then please make it so Samus remains in the screw attack so that anyone who attacks her will still take damage. Also, please fix the problem with launching people out. I'm tired of being left open just because my opponent got nicked.

Homing/Super Missile: Homing missiles should be more precise. Super missiles should kill like they did before.

Bomb: Thank you for fixing bombs.

Certain throws could be fixed to match lethal strike and overblast. Here's hoping Samus has kill throws in SSBU.

Last edited:
Top Bottom