• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IDAHO Smash Thread

reddyspazz

Smash Cadet
o, and gnosis, yeah... i guess felix was just kinda inactive in the community when i got started up. i don't remember him for awhile...

gnosis

Smash Lord
Good **** gnosis. Seriously.
I have nothing to add to that other than that was the best analysis of the Brawl vs Melee debate ever.

The learning curve very small in Brawl. In melee I would kick my friends' *****, in brawl the gap between our skills has been cut tremendously.

I guess the reason I play Brawl is because it is new and is still growing (as in more people are trying to get better at it than melee). Melee has had it's time. Yes, it is an AMAZING game. But now it's time for Brawl.
I'm playing Brawl serious, and Melee for fun. That doesn't mean I won't practice melee.

The End. lol
Haha, thanks.

And I s'pose I understand your reason for playing Brawl, but I just can't have any fun in that game, so yeah, I can't really relate :(

joeplicate

Smash Master
Melee combos start with mindgames, and continue and end with tech skill.
haha dude have you ever played someone who knows how to DI well? melee combos are HARD to do.

even with fox, the most technical blah blah blah character, you can SDI out of the drill if it's more than like 3 hits, crouch cancel the shine, SDI out of his up air, crouch cancel his neutral air and punish, or DI the nair so it sends you up into the air and the shine doesn't link

"guaranteed" combos in melee really don't exist, and to continue and successfully finish a long combo, you have to put in an enormous amount of mental work

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I'll play Melee with you <3

Come to Tourneyplay <3
I played melee the other day with a buddy, and I forgot how awesome it was. I decided not to pick Luigi up in melee though, because it will mess with how I play brawl... but you and whoever else plays melee (eggz?) should teach me a little at tourneyplay. I've been using Roy and Puff.

joeplicate

Smash Master
^ Me neither. lol

What I said was very direct, I thought.
Oh well. We'll have some troll on here for awhile I guess.
I'm not a troll, man. I'm just sharing my opinion on what I thought was a small error in your reasoning.

Melee combos are hard to do technically, yes, but the even harder part about it is that you need to read your opponents DI, techs, and other defensive options.

No U

Smash Journeyman
In Brawl, whoever is a bigger ***got wins.

In Melee, whoever ***** harder wins.

Brawl+ seems kind of sad, like it's trying too hard to make Brawl not suck, and it's still not working. Most of the people who play Brawl don't want ATs in their game in the first place. And even when they're there it's still way worse than Melee.

gnosis

Smash Lord
Brawl+ is Brawl with codes to add in dashdancing, wavedashing, l-canceling, etc. None of it works -quite- right and there's still a lot that needs to be fixed (right now the set forward distance and speed you get on jumps is what's bugging me, the game needs more horizontal aerial speed).

But at least you can do cool combos. I got my first zero-to-death in Brawl!

debaser

Smash Lord
What's Brawl+?
It makes me think of an ill-conceived attempt to infuse human life with technology creating some kind of cyborg super-being, that went horribly, horribly wrong and became a horrific abomination, that has no business existing at all.

Like Tetsuo

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Well it's just ironic how people say that Brawl is an easy and simple game, but when they try to make it less easy and simpler, they make it easier and simpler. (From just that aspect.)

I've seen Brawl+ played, and there's just some speed and physics fixes that need to be done, and it would be close.

In my opinion, though, Brawl shouldn't be Melee-fied because of the movesets of the characters and the intentions of the Havok engine. (Dealing with the way characters interact with items, stages, and other characters.) But I would like to give it a try just to see how it plays.

FeLixSainT

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys sry I've been inactive for awhile. Thats actually been my story since I first showed up to Idaho in '05, always in and out of the scene. In fact, when I first showed up bc, yamer, buzz, gnos, and I weren't so far apart as far as how skilled we were. Now it's just funny to see how much ppl have improved lol. I also remember how we'd contemplate the fact the community was so small and now it's diverse to say the least, even if it's brawl stealing some of the spotlight.

With that in mind, my only opinion is this: when I first started competing in around '02, I thought I was the ****, I thought I had it down. Then I went to an MLG gig in Houston and got torn apart by the real deal. They were humble enough to direct me to the boards wherein I found the then 12 page guide to melée and learning the tech skills, things I'd never even seen or heard of. It took me months of constant practice to learn these skill from paper and even longer to apply it in actual combat. I'm sure most of the ppl on that PR list can attest to the fact that thats one thing we are all still learning. Point is, I was proud that my hard work finally began to set me apart from your average smasher and that I could pick up a controller knowing I've got the experience and knowledge to know what it takes to be successful in the competitive scene at least. That goes for any game rly and it's the main reason why comparing brawl and melée is such a clear cut case for us. There's simply not enough you can do to set yourself apart from other players, and if there is, it still won't compare to the dynamic diversity melee can provide and I honestly believe it's something that anyone here should be able to learn with diligent practice. Brawl is fun but you probly won't see me competing in it.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
If Brawl is so go****ed simple and easy, you guys should be winning tons of tourneys.
That logic doesn't make any sense....but felix explains this perfectly...

Anyway, Smashfest TONIGHT!!!!!!!! TUESDAY NIGHT, at KNUTTZ place! Qraq is BACK...and ready to play...Really, we can make this pretty early, like 4 or maybe even earlier, cause I know some of you kids have school...EVERYONE HAS TO COME!!!! Its required...
I have a new rule, no Brawl on the big screen....everyone Must come...

knuttz45

Smash Ace
If Brawl is so go****ed simple and easy, you guys should be winning tons of tourneys.
I have won tourneys and i did play but it's just to simple i just cant keep playing it because of the lack of diversity and how easy it is to pick up any character.

-BattleChrist

craztad

Smash Journeyman
knuttz, i have class till six but will be there for the smashfest shortly after. shall i bring my dvd recorder(with the remote this time)?

TheFro

Smash Cadet
It makes me think of an ill-conceived attempt to infuse human life with technology creating some kind of cyborg super-being, that went horribly, horribly wrong and became a horrific abomination, that has no business existing at all.

Like Tetsuo
I bet I'm the only one who got that reference.
Kaneda: He's not your friend, he's ours! If somebody's gonna kill him, it should be us!

Well it's just ironic how people say that Brawl is an easy and simple game, but when they try to make it less easy and simpler, they make it easier and simpler. (From just that aspect.)

I've seen Brawl+ played, and there's just some speed and physics fixes that need to be done, and it would be close.

In my opinion, though, Brawl shouldn't be Melee-fied because of the movesets of the characters and the intentions of the Havok engine. (Dealing with the way characters interact with items, stages, and other characters.) But I would like to give it a try just to see how it plays.
"but when they try to make it less easy and simpler, they make it easier and simpler. "
Lol wut?

"I've seen Brawl+ played, and there's just some speed and physics fixes that need to be done, and it would be close."
Uh no it won't. They would have to change the entire engine. The only way it'll be close is if they mod melee to have a bunch of $hity brawl characters

Troll identified.

Hey guys sry I've been inactive for awhile. Thats actually been my story since I first showed up to Idaho in '05, always in and out of the scene. In fact, when I first showed up bc, yamer, buzz, gnos, and I weren't so far apart as far as how skilled we were. Now it's just funny to see how much ppl have improved lol. I also remember how we'd contemplate the fact the community was so small and now it's diverse to say the least, even if it's brawl stealing some of the spotlight.

With that in mind, my only opinion is this: when I first started competing in around '02, I thought I was the ****, I thought I had it down. Then I went to an MLG gig in Houston and got torn apart by the real deal. They were humble enough to direct me to the boards wherein I found the then 12 page guide to melée and learning the tech skills, things I'd never even seen or heard of. It took me months of constant practice to learn these skill from paper and even longer to apply it in actual combat. I'm sure most of the ppl on that PR list can attest to the fact that thats one thing we are all still learning. Point is, I was proud that my hard work finally began to set me apart from your average smasher and that I could pick up a controller knowing I've got the experience and knowledge to know what it takes to be successful in the competitive scene at least. That goes for any game rly and it's the main reason why comparing brawl and melée is such a clear cut case for us. There's simply not enough you can do to set yourself apart from other players, and if there is, it still won't compare to the dynamic diversity melee can provide and I honestly believe it's something that anyone here should be able to learn with diligent practice. Brawl is fun but you probly won't see me competing in it.
Uh... why don't you come to any smashfests?

That logic doesn't make any sense....but felix explains this perfectly...

Anyway, Smashfest TONIGHT!!!!!!!! TUESDAY NIGHT, at KNUTTZ place! Qraq is BACK...and ready to play...Really, we can make this pretty early, like 4 or maybe even earlier, cause I know some of you kids have school...EVERYONE HAS TO COME!!!! Its required...
I have a new rule, no Brawl on the big screen....everyone Must come...
Sweet I'm comin' can you give rides.

knuttz, i have class till six but will be there for the smashfest shortly after. shall i bring my dvd recorder(with the remote this time)?
Tatem's we've missed you.

That literally makes no valid sense at all.
But nice argument.

-QraQ
Qraq We're gonna be team Darkies. Just say'n

knuttz45

Smash Ace
Yes, and YES, and YEEESSSS. we need some vids. and we should be able too fro, you are pretty dang close anyway...who else is coming? :dizzy:

Top Bottom