• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IDAHO Smash Thread

gnosis

Smash Lord
Well that's the thing. I definitely could accurately judge skill levels if I wanted to, it's just, if I hate Brawl so much I won't even play it, why on earth would I ever take the time to figure out or care about who's good at it?

That being said, I may go to this tournament, lol.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Not playing doesn't mean he can't be a panelist. You can still determine who's good via tournament standings without playing the game. He's got enough knowledge about the game to be able to accurately be a panelist.
Very, very true. I take back what I said.

Well that's the thing. I definitely could accurately judge skill levels if I wanted to, it's just, if I hate Brawl so much I won't even play it, why on earth would I ever take the time to figure out or care about who's good at it?

That being said, I may go to this tournament, lol.
That would be cool if you came, even if you didn't play Brawl. Just to meet some more Idaho players. (Also, if you do come. Melee most likely will happen.)

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Thing is none of us care about melee. I play it on very rare occasions when I feel like playing a good version of Jiggs... but thats about it. Why does it seem like all of you guys hate on brawl so much? Imagine how hard it was for top players like Azen/Chu/Chillin to move on, but they did it just the same.

How far is Rathdrum from Moscow anyway? And do you have a venue lined up yet?

Turtlehoop

Smash Ace
Uh, Melee tournaments are popping up more and more. The game is far from dying and people aren't having to "move on" as you say. Brawl was refreshing for what it was worth, but it's far too repetitive. You can't do flashy stuff, and as Gnosis pointed out to me, there's nothing taunt worthy.

gnosis

Smash Lord
I hate on Brawl because it's all I have to say about it, so if there's a discussion that I feel like joining (because it personally involves me or because we're talking about the differences between it and Melee, etc.), then what I'm going to add to the conversation will be some form of "Brawl sucks". If you disagree, please tell me how else I could have accurately expressed my view on me being a N. Idaho Brawl panelist.

So now the question is, why do you bring up not caring about Melee? No one asked, it's irrelevant, etc. Seems you're the one with the hate, maaaan.

edit: Well I mean someone may have asked at some point, but not in the current conversation.

joeplicate

Smash Master
Imagine how hard it was for top players like Azen/Chu/Chillin to move on, but they did it just the same.
probably easier
having been at the top of the melee scene for 5 years or so, they were probably kind of tired of it

plus, chu dat won a melee tournament in florida last month, beating dashizwiz in two sets in finals.
I think it's safe to say he hasn't "moved on"

thespymachine

Smash Ace
How far is Rathdrum from Moscow anyway? And do you have a venue lined up yet?
One and a half hours, possibly 2. I used to drive from Lewiston to Rathdrum all the time, and that's 3 hours max, with road construction.

Jinx is going to have his house available n stuff. And the date is final on Feb. 21st.

You can't do flashy stuff, and as Gnosis pointed out to me, there's nothing taunt worthy.
I never knew being flashy was a factor in competitive gaming. Hmmm.

If you disagree, please tell me how else I could have accurately expressed my view on me being a N. Idaho Brawl panelist.

So now the question is, why do you bring up not caring about Melee? No one asked, it's irrelevant, etc. Seems you're the one with the hate, maaaan.
1. You have my vote for panelist.

2. LuigiKing was stating that N.Idaho doesn't "care" about melee, and that's why the tournament will be most likely brawl only. I think....? lol

joeplicate - are you from or live in Idaho?

gnosis

Smash Lord
I never knew being flashy was a factor in competitive gaming. Hmmm.
It certainly is, to an extent. It is not a factor that determines -if- a game is competitive or not, but for many people it's a factor that determines if it's an entertaining and time-worthy game.

For example, a lot of the reasons I hear people give for playing Brawl are things such as it being new, or it being popular, or it having better graphics and sound, or it having a particular character they really like, and so on. And if you wanna be dry about it, then none of those reasons directly make a game a better platform for competition. But, they all affect how entertaining it is playing that particular game, including on a competitive level, and that in turn effects people's opinion of the game from both a competitive standpoint and a casual standpoint.

I guess my point is is that it's pretty legit to prefer Melee over Brawl simply because it's flashier, even though you -can- have more 'substantial' reasons if that's your thing. And yes, the inverse is true then to, that I think it's legit to like Brawl more simply because it's the new thing... doesn't mean I agree with it. (I would also argue that flashiness directly affects the competitive value of a game a lot more than that sorta reason, but I need to get to bed...)

Oh, and thank you for the vote, but I'm not sure I'm even running lol

Turtlehoop

Smash Ace
I wasn't referring to specifically competitive gaming. Even in friendlies, there's nothing taunt worthy in Brawl, you can have fun and do crazy ****, and it's far to slow to have the rush that melee does.
Also, cross apply gnosis' post.

Joeplicate; are there videos of those sets?

scarykid78

Smash Journeyman
Yes, a dog. Golden retriever to be specific. Actually not THAT good tasting but it was a good experience.

craztad

Smash Journeyman
where are all the vids from the smashfest. i want to see them. i missed the **** thing and want to see some of that nights action.

Touk

Smash Journeyman
that works. Are you free this weekend¿ I can drive to you if that's preferred. Is there a place I can crash at? Who do you play and how often do you play? How good would you rate yrself? Etc.

gnosis

Smash Lord
Well the thing is I don't play Brawl at all. But as far as Idaho goes I'm pro at Melee... which means below average in other melee communities : ( And I play all the characters, but my main's Sheik.

And I'd have to talk to my roommates about housing.

Turtlehoop

Smash Ace
Gnosis is a fun guy to play. His style is kinda wack, but I enjoy playing his variety of characters.

If you play Melee, you probably won't be disappointed playing him, even if he just beats you for 5 straight hours.

QraQ

Smash Ace
You're not good though, you've admitted that yourself. We all suck, so there's no harm done =D
Stfu Mr. go on about wanting a smashfest then not even come. If you ever want to be good or even have a say in this community you will come to us. If not than just disappear.

-QraQ

Top Bottom