• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IDAHO Smash Thread

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Yes. I'll most likely have at least one person coming with me, so if we can't all fit in your car we can split up and just take more EaWa people.
Cool beans.

At the moment I don't really know who from EaWa is going, once I get a head count from them and my friends I'll let you know.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
This means new power rankings! yay

1-2 Qraq- BattleChrist
3. Gnosis
4. Knuttz
5....Kinx, Alch,FELIX

brawl is (a joke, in both the rankings below, and the game itself)

1. metaknight
2. knuttz's olimar
3. BC's snake
4. Knuttz's jiggz
5. Knuttz's samus

craztad

Smash Journeyman
the gayest **** ever just happened upon me. I am sitting in my apartment with a half hour to blow and figure hey i will work on some tech skill. So i turn on my wii and my wiimote is dead and there is not one set of batteries in my apartment that isn't dead. no cube here either. i just wasn't meant to play smash today.

FeLixSainT

Smash Apprentice
yay for being the same rank i was in when i left off a year ago xD anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that i just realized i have someones wii control. kinda packed it by accident, its a rechargable one so let me know whos missing one pls. will try to returt is asap. sorryyyyy

craztad

Smash Journeyman
TATEMS>>>YOUR BACK IN TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yes i am unfortunately back in this awful country. I smashed with a few **** while i was there so you guys better watch out. i miss sushi and yakisoba, i am soo hungry right now. Oh and knuttz, sorry but i was unable to find any t-shirts with engrish on them and trust me i looked in almost every store in the minato mirai area and even a few places in downtown tokyo.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
yes i am unfortunately back in this awful country. I smashed with a few **** while i was there so you guys better watch out. i miss sushi and yakisoba, i am soo hungry right now. Oh and knuttz, sorry but i was unable to find any t-shirts with engrish on them and trust me i looked in almost every store in the minato mirai area and even a few places in downtown tokyo.
Its ok tate, its the thought that counts. :) and i wanna play you at some smash.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I know the power ranking is a joke, but at least make sure to say S. Idaho instead of just Idaho as a whole. I'm pretty sure I could outplay all of you guys in tournament if the opportunity ever came up. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, its just silly to include all of Idaho when its just your group ^_^

By the way, is anyone but me and Cake going to tourneyplay???

gnosis

Smash Lord
Luigiking I'll smash you into your proper ranking. I'm N. Idaho and I'm third. :p

I'm also trying to go to tourneyplay but would need a ride. I live in moscow as you can see...

Knuttz and qraq are taking a car too, apparently.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
LOL I'm posting from the TLC room 23 right now, isn't that cool? Yeah since you go to U of I we should definately play sometime, I'm dying for more real players in the immediate area. I am driving to tourneyplay and you are free to have a spot in my car if you want. You just have to pay for gas as I'm a poor man.

We have LAN parties at Computer Crazy (in the mini mall by eastside) every other week where I do some smashfests on the side. You should come to one sometime ^_^ (I might even bring melee =p)

knuttz45

Smash Ace
I know the power ranking is a joke, but at least make sure to say S. Idaho instead of just Idaho as a whole. I'm pretty sure I could outplay all of you guys in tournament if the opportunity ever came up. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, its just silly to include all of Idaho when its just your group ^_^

By the way, is anyone but me and Cake going to tourneyplay???
W. Idaho Top 5 = Idaho top 5...until gnosis moved to N.Idaho for school. We've proven that in E. Idaho by winning their PNT tourneys. (Only tourneys out there) :{( That includes both N. Idaho, E. Idaho and W. Idaho. (S. Idaho is actually split up in East and west Idaho. :)

I'm honestly not trying to sound cocky too, its just been my experience that when newer community members(not people who moved here {QRAQ}) finally play the veterans, they get *****. Especially in melee...It happened to me..It probably didn't happen to the original players....Unless you regularly go to E. Washington and do well, I'll expect the same.

I trust your judgment Gnosis. To include N.Idaho a little more, maybe we should add as a panelist? Gnosis has a rough idea now what are skills are at again.

I would say, Yamer, Gnosis, Buzz, Battlechrist, Felix are the origin of Idaho smash...kind of random

And yeah, i think qraq, me, and MAYBE BC, and anyone else are most likely going to the tourney.

I hate ASP.NET...

gnosis

Smash Lord
I trust your judgment Gnosis. To include N.Idaho a little more, maybe we should add as a panelist? Gnosis has a rough idea now what are skills are at again.
The only problem is is that I cannot give less of a **** about Brawl, especially about who's good at it, and no one up here is into Melee. Cept maybe chexican.

Luigiking, I can cover for gas. How are we doing housing?

And I will never, ever knowingly go to a Brawl-only smashfest.

Although I am interested in trying Brawl+, and might be setting up my Wii for it....

thespymachine

Smash Ace
LuigiKing is pretty ridiculous at Brawl. Seriously.
And he does have a point with the Idaho PR. Yes it could be argued that gnosis is N. Idaho, but he was W. Idaho, so he was already solidified into your group, making the Idaho Rankings atm W.Idaho only, sorta. lol

But arguing it is pointless anyways, because not all of us have played each other, and you're doing your best with what you know.

If N. Idaho had power rankings (excluding gnosis), I think it would go:
1. LuigiKing
2. Cake
3. Jinx
4. Duop
[ I haven't played King yet, but I've seen him play. ]

scarykid78

Smash Journeyman
we should all just smash idaho into one room. then you can all team against me and lose.
kthxbai

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
Unfortunately smashboards will only allow each state to make ONE PR thread so we cant have a different one for N. Idaho, we did talk about this a while back and decided that if the other parts of idaho wanted to be included that we would add a list for their specific region but at the time there was no one in any other area that cared.

Luigking i will **** your **** up in melee so hard you wont even know what happened, and im also willing to bet i can take you in brawl even tho brawl is just for people to lazy to take the time to get good at a real game.... just sayin :)

reddyspazz

Smash Cadet
I would say, Yamer, Gnosis, Buzz, Battlechrist, Felix are the origin of Idaho smash...kind of random
k... for what its worth, i don't think you're quite on with the origins of idaho smash... scarykid and i were going to smashfests in baron's basement with gnosis way before felix ever came into the picture... depending on your definition of origin i guess...

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
W. Idaho Top 5 = Idaho top 5...until gnosis moved to N.Idaho for school. We've proven that in E. Idaho by winning their PNT tourneys. (Only tourneys out there) :{( That includes both N. Idaho, E. Idaho and W. Idaho. (S. Idaho is actually split up in East and west Idaho. :)

I'm honestly not trying to sound cocky too, its just been my experience that when newer community members(not people who moved here {QRAQ}) finally play the veterans, they get *****. Especially in melee...It happened to me..It probably didn't happen to the original players....Unless you regularly go to E. Washington and do well, I'll expect the same.
Well it seems silly to count S. Idaho only tournies for the PR, because that doesn't even show how well you can do against OOSers, and last time I checked no one goes OOS for Idaho. Isolated communities don't prove much. I play against EaWa on a regular basis, and took 5th at the last EWU I attended if that means anything. I've beaten both Praxis and Deva in tourney or MM, so I consider myself to be fairly good. Haha first time I attended a real tourney I bit it good though... ;)

Luigking i will **** your **** up in melee so hard you wont even know what happened, and im also willing to bet i can take you in brawl even tho brawl is just for people to lazy to take the time to get good at a real game.... just sayin :)
I don't care about melee lol. But if you S. Idaho guys haven't played OOSers in brawl before... you're in for it ;)

Luigiking, I can cover for gas. How are we doing housing?
We can stay free at my Aunt's guest house ^_^ Cake's group is welcome to stay as well if they decide they want to.

LuigiKing is pretty ridiculous at Brawl. Seriously.
This.

Hopefully we can all play at tourneyplay, that would be epic. We need an Idaho crew homies =p And wow I wonder if I quoted enough, sheesh.

reddyspazz

Smash Cadet
i agree with bc. the only reason i play brawl is because i don't want to put time into a game. brawl's one that you can pretty much get good at without really doing anything.... :\ so yeah, although i'm a brawler, i would have to say that melee is a lot more legit if you want to prove something.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
^ This sounds like a challenge.

Also, I play Brawl because I think it's more fun than Melee. But......I'm not going to give people s**t for liking Melee, just because I don't like it as much.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
The only problem i have with brawl is that they made it so easy to learn a 5 year old could get it down in week, It looks great and plays fine its just not worthy or being called a competitive game due to its child like learning curve. Basically it just doesn't have the depth that melee has.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
^ Melee is 7 years old. So of course Brawl doesn't have the depth.

They are two different games anyways. It's tough to compare.

They need to played differently.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
The difference is that they smoothed out brawl to make sure everyone could do all the things that took time to learn in melee as well as take the other ones out.

Luigiking i have gone out of state for melee countless time to places like Utah New Mexico and Arizona and i have been to two Utah tournaments for brawl and played yamer who lived in Arizona and now lives in utah so i know a little about OOS just so you know :laugh:.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
You can't really edit out mind games :laugh:. As far as things to make it easier they took out l-canceling let you dodge as much as you want, made ledges auto grab so you no longer need to sweet spot your recoveries dashdancing is useless jump-canceling is no more instead all you have to do is up on the c-stick to bust out a running up-smash just to name a few off the top of my head. Melee may be old but it's a real competitive game for people willing to put in the time to get good just like a game should be if it's competitive, it's the same reason why street fighter 2 is still in mlg even tho its old.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
They took l-canceling out. Yes, which makes it harder because you can't l-cancel. lol Only certain moves auto-cancel.

The ledges are auto-grabbed. Making it harder to edge guard. I think when they put that in the game, they were thinking that they wanted more straight up KOs because you racked up damage, not because you gimp your opponents recovery.

dash dancing and jump-cancel, imo, are not really advanced techniques. They are just techniques. They are both basics.

Boost smash though I can agree with you.

In brawl it's harder to sweet-spot aerials. And it's harder to tech....imo.

....but easier to power shield.

The way I see it, both games have their pros and cons.
The game that someone decides to play more is the one they feel goes with their style of play I guess.

Melee combos start with mindgames, and continue and end with tech skill.
Brawl combos start with tech skill, and continue and end with mind games.
Smash 64 combos start with a combo, and continue and end with a combo. lol

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
They took l-canceling out. Yes, which makes it harder because you can't l-cancel. lol Only certain moves auto-cancel.

The ledges are auto-grabbed. Making it harder to edge guard. I think when they put that in the game, they were thinking that they wanted more straight up KOs because you racked up damage, not because you gimp your opponents recovery.

dash dancing and jump-cancel, imo, are not really advanced techniques. They are just techniques. They are both basics.

Boost smash though I can agree with you.

In brawl it's harder to sweet-spot aerials. And it's harder to tech....imo.

....but easier to power shield.

The way I see it, both games have their pros and cons.
The game that someone decides to play more is the one they feel goes with their style of play I guess.

Smash 64 combos start with a combo, and continue and end with a combo. lol
And what is tech skill in brawl?

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I see what you mean. lol

Most techniques seem to be character specific. Such as Pikachu's QAC.
Basically, I guess, Brawl's tech skill is the knowledge of your character.

.....uh, yeah. You really got me there.

The same argument can go for H2 and H3. H2 had the bxr and double shot. H3 is all about team work and the "Team Push."

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
True but FPS games aren't really about tech skill the are more squad/team based games which i why lots of old ones don't work out in competitive play because of the severity of glitches H2>H3 but thats not the point. From my experience with brawl it takes all of two days and you should be able to do everything your character is capable of. Sneaky trying to change the subject.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I see we have different point of views.
Since I think: H3>H2....but that is NOT the point.

You may be able to learn all the stuff in two days, but so can everyone else.

I learned how to dash dance, l-cancel, wavedash, short hop, tech, and jump cancel in Melee in one day.
...but that's not the point either. lol

Edit: I'm hittin' the hay. I respond to your response later. Peace.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
Unless you're just ridiculously amazing at melee i find it hard to belief you could do all melee tech skill consistently in one day. My point with brawl was that it take no time to get good and im glad you agreed with me lol.

Halo 2 was a better game because it took more time to get good, instead of just handing out skill. The pros were really on a different level then the rest because of their dedication to getting good at the game but with halo 2 and 3 the difference wasn't big enough to ruin it's competitive nature unlike brawl and melee where brawl lost everything.

gnosis

Smash Lord
NEWSFLASH WOOGA WOOGA

Melee being astoundingly superior over Brawl has very little to do with tech skill! Melee having more tech skill is only a sort of result of what really makes it better - and that's depth. There's only more tech skill because there's more viable competitive -options-, more you can do to control your character, and so on.

That's what makes Melee better. Brawl's not only easy to play, it's mind-numbingly simple. It's checkers to chess. Sure you can prefer checkers and be really good at it, but eh... no one cares. :p

Edit: And another thing, being simple isn't necessarily bad. It's just the way in which Brawl is simple also makes it boring, because there's very little room for being clever or flashy.

cAkE said:
Probably not the best way of saying your point, but I see what you're trying to say.

Basically, you're dividing combos into two categories - those that continue because they are guaranteed so long as you don't mess up technically, regardless of what your opponent does, i.e., a 'tech skill'-based combo, or those that continue because of correct guesswork and/or manipulation of your opponent into making a mistake, i.e., a 'mind game'-based combo. And as a sidenote, just because a combo looks a little unconventional doesn't mean it's not a real, guaranteed combo that relies on tech skill - for example, Sheik's techchase on Falcon is guaranteed with good tech skill and reaction time, and doesn't require any guesswork or manipulation of DI, teching direction, etc., i.e., no 'mindgames' as you put it.

My claim is that Melee, because of it's superior depth and increased amount of viable options, makes for a more interesting, varied, and impressive game for both types of combos. Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG9tQAde2_g and just look at how many combos are continued because of very, very smart play, whether it be a correct guess on a tech chase or other wakeup situation, or a correct guess on DI, or a correct guess on how the opponent is going to recover. And using the word guess is a bit misleading because it makes it sound more random than it is; a lot of it has to do with knowing your opponent's habits and the character matchup as well. And yeah, there's also a lot of hard to perform, but very rewarding long strings of inescapable combos.

Combos in brawl chiefly come from either a comparatively lacking 'guessing/mindgame' style, or are easy to perform 'tech skill' combos, which are often long locks or infinities and then they're even easier. Both are less complex, with less depth, and thus easier/more boring.

And the 'starting the combos', the approach part of the game where you attempt to create or just wait for an opening, is the worst part of Brawl and much worse than Melee. It relies far too heavily on a defensive, campy style of play, with little room for variation and hardly ever any advantage to being on the offensive. First off, an offensive style is almost always much riskier and harder to pull off. Other than camping and spamming projectiles, there's very little you can do to pressure your opponent in to making a mistake and an opening, and attempting to do so usually just gets you punished. And what's your reward for this riskier style of play if you do manage to get a hit? Hardly anything, generally - most combos are just a few hits, and you usually need a lot more damage to get a KO in Brawl. This is why Brawl is so campy - there's no point in playing any other way, unless you're playing a character who has no option to camp back, in which case you're a lot more likely to lose than in Melee.

gnosis

Smash Lord
k... for what its worth, i don't think you're quite on with the origins of idaho smash... scarykid and i were going to smashfests in baron's basement with gnosis way before felix ever came into the picture... depending on your definition of origin i guess...
Naw reddyspazz, Felix played smash in Idaho before even I did. I played with him over a year before you or baron.

edit: oops double post. My bad.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Good **** gnosis. Seriously.
I have nothing to add to that other than that was the best analysis of the Brawl vs Melee debate ever.

The learning curve very small in Brawl. In melee I would kick my friends' *****, in brawl the gap between our skills has been cut tremendously.

I guess the reason I play Brawl is because it is new and is still growing (as in more people are trying to get better at it than melee). Melee has had it's time. Yes, it is an AMAZING game. But now it's time for Brawl.
I'm playing Brawl serious, and Melee for fun. That doesn't mean I won't practice melee.

The End. lol

Top Bottom