• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IDAHO Smash Thread

ungood

Smash Rookie
Just wanted to introduce myself. Melee/Brawl player in Boise, ID - North End.

Main Lucas. Second: Pika, Ness, Yoshi, Random ;)

I rate myself "pretty good" casual (mostly I play FFA with friends), working on moving into competitive 1v1/2v2.

I'll get my FC up as soon as I remember to write that stupid 12-digit number down.

Hope to get a chance to Brawl with some locals.
~ungood

gnosis

Smash Lord
Items =/= noobish. Items in Melee = Banned after a very long time of them being in tournaments. So why should Items in Brawl = Banned instantaneously?? Especially when you can now turn off the only real reason , that wasn't just a matter of taste, Melee had for items being banned.

Don't be a f@g BC, instantly calling items noob : P.

p.s. Welcome to the community Ungood.

edit: My reason for wanting to try items, is hey, if we don't have Melee's fluid movement, combos, gimps, i.e. Smash's entertaining things, might as well have something fun. Plus items help fight Brawl's inherent campiness.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
The worst **** that could ever happen to me ****in happened........ MY IPOD IS ALL ****ED UP :mad:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It froze last night so i reset it but it was out of power so i hocked that ***** up to my compute and went to be i woke up this morning and it han notheing on it so i was like WTF:mad:..... I then tried to put all my **** back on and then started getting ready for school. After i was ready i checked to see how much of my music i got on it and it said it was done so i looked at it for like 5 seconds and knew something was wrong because somehow it turned all 27ish gigs of my music into like 1 so i looked at the list of music and it only put on two artists so i tried to put all my **** on again and it was all like "hmm well you can just go ahead and suck on de enda my d!ck n!gga!!!!" and didn't put anything else on so i don't know what the fvck im going to do now that i don't really have any music. I'll probably go mother fvcking crazy and stab someone or something like that so ya this is now the worst day ever........ To give you a grasp on how bad this is for me think of taking crack away from a crack head or like meth from a meth addict cuz im fvcking addicted to music like i fvcking need that **** to get my fix :urg:.
Hey so remember when this happened.................. well i finally got my ipod back and you know everything was good for like a day.

Ok heres what happens so i get back to my room after my CJ 103 midterm and i sync my ipod with my computer and it tells me to get an update for my ipod so i decide that the update should be good for my ipod. WRONG . The update fvcked it up even more. I look online and lots of people are saying that the updated killed their ipod. so i've decide that god must just hate me because you know gives it back for a day and then apple fvcks me GOD I LOVE MY LIFE lol :laugh:.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Plus items help fight Brawl's inherent campiness.
Everything was cool up until this little comment at the end. Items increase and encourage camping. Even if playing as Sonic or Ike, it encourages the player to just wait around until a good item appears and take possession of it.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
Items =/= noobish. Items in Melee = Banned after a very long time of them being in tournaments. So why should Items in Brawl = Banned instantaneously?? Especially when you can now turn off the only real reason , that wasn't just a matter of taste, Melee had for items being banned.

Don't be a f@g BC, instantly calling items noob : P.

p.s. Welcome to the community Ungood.

edit: My reason for wanting to try items, is hey, if we don't have Melee's fluid movement, combos, gimps, i.e. Smash's entertaining things, might as well have something fun. Plus items help fight Brawl's inherent campiness.
items are kinda "Noob". Can't we learn from our mistakes from melee. The World did between world war 1 and 2 with germany. :) Items add a randomness factor that shortens the skill gap of the game, which has already been shortened by the lack of advanced techniques like lcanceling. Dom and I tried items out with mushrooms. They have been buffed, and basically low percent kills are common when someone is big. SO, one match i got 6 mushrooms when he got 2....i won because of this. the randomness factor gave me the winning edge not my skill. i would write mmore...but its 530..just got done with a long night. :)

Also HEY...smashfest tommorow at my place. read all is brawl post. let me know if ur going to come!

gnosis

Smash Lord
Everything was cool up until this little comment at the end. Items increase and encourage camping. Even if playing as Sonic or Ike, it encourages the player to just wait around until a good item appears and take possession of it.
No it doesn't. Getting items is all about stage control and actively covering land. Because of spawn point spread, very few stages allow for campers to maintain stage control - you have to get it by actively keeping your opponent off of it. Once you have an item it also boosts your approach options, making you stronger against a camping style.

Of course, there is the idea that one could just roll around and run (which isn't quite like camping, seeing as how it's simply avoiding attacks rather than baiting and countering) until an item showed up, but whether or not that's an issue or not needs to be decided through test play, not theory. Although if we wanna go that route, we should consider that nothing like that was the reason items were banned in Melee... and why? My idea is because ultimately (legal) items aren't good enough to base your entire strategy around.

And knuttz, testing with mushrooms was a horrible idea. When items are on, you generally play with items that have both pluses and drawbacks (classic example is Marth picking up a ray gun - he now has projectiles, but he loses his ridiculous grab and fair, etc.), and do not infer an immediate advantage like some of them do (i.e., no healing, no stars, no mushrooms, etc.).

edit: There was a really good post about items on SRK, and I'll try and find it but if I never get around to it, it basically said we should definitely at least try items now that the reason they were banned in Melee is gone. Why? Because if it doesn't work out, fine, but if it does, we've furthered the community by evolving the gameplay - i.e., no risk, potential reward. That's why I hope Evo goes through with items, because I'm curious.

I'm not pro- or anti- item, really, and if Brawl was as fun as Melee I wouldn't care at all about it, but I'm just saying that now I see an opportunity and I think we should at least try it out.

Espy

Smash Apprentice
Hello again. I've been playing Brawl and haven't ever bothered to check SmashBoards. XD

It's pretty great. I think the items are some fun, but would not be suitable for a Brawl tournament. The items can be really cheap in the wrong hands. For instance, take Peach with a Fan in her hand and keep pressing A with someone like Wolf inside. Wolf shouldn't be able to get out usually. You can also easily blast someone off the edge with the Ray Gun where people usually can't get free.

Anyway... have fun. I'm going to go play Brawl now. PM me if you wish for my Brawl FC and I will reply in about 2 days.

< Espy >

AlCheMisT amari

Smash Journeyman
lame, im anti-item, theres some really cheap *** items out there, they suck. Know what's really cheap? Pauls burritos, 2 for a dollar...... mm, ****ing amazing.

--- AlCheMisT :ness:

DAKMASTER

Smash Apprentice
hey all checking in for the idaho list

i am from boise

Dak(Dakmaster) I play brawl mostly now Wolf/Pit

can someone tell me when the next tournament is and where plox? thank you.

scarykid78

Smash Journeyman
Dak theres one on april 12th at Play N Trade on Overland. Go there and sign up today or as soon as possible. Also join allisbrawl.com and then join the idaho group! Glad to see lots of Idaho Brawl Players!

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
BUZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 call me and we can play some Brawl.............. If you come play me i'll give you back what you left at my house during the tournament lol.

DAKMASTER

Smash Apprentice
I just went and signed up for that tournament :D it looked like only 6 or 8 people had signed up. could be a small deal =/.

who all is going?

knuttz45

Smash Ace
at playntrade tournies,most people sign up the day before or the day of the tourney. :) 8 people two weeks before the tourney is quite a bit. :)

I know i'm retarted...but i kinda wish i signeed up for the wifi tourney thats going on right know....;(..maybe next time...

scarykid78

Smash Journeyman
I signed up for the wifi tournament and wasted in my pool! I'm going on to the brackets tommorow!

scarykid78

Smash Journeyman
Well theres two idahoans going. I havent lost a set either. I did however lose one match making that set a 3-1 win.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
Im excited for you guys. :) even though it sucks that alot of people didn't post their FC. ha ha . :) i'l make sure to join the next one...screw lag...i want a tourney!

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
So yea, I just moved to idaho falls from portland, and I'm looking for some people to play smash with and some tournaments to go to. Look forward to meeting some new folks in this place~.

BattleChrist

Smash Lord
All i can say is sorry man.... I use to live in Idaho Falls and there were only two people that played and now i live in boise and the other guy lives in AZ.

Top Bottom