• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IDAHO Smash Thread

QraQ

Smash Ace
On the contrary, BlazBlue is an excellent game. It's just limited due to only 11 characters and only 3-4 of them being mainstream and winning 95% of tournaments. It's still very fun and the engine is very solid.
Sounds alot like a game you're quitting for it.
Oh ya...nooooo don't...

Turtlehoop

Smash Ace
Not really. Smash is different in that low tier characters still have a chance, and 6-4 matchups don't mean as much as they do in BB. By dominated by 3-4 characters, I mean literally every tournament is Nu, Rachel, Arakune, and the occassional Jin/Toakaka. A very limited number of tournaments, at least big main stream tournaments, have been won by Carl, who is the only other positive character. I mean, a character with a positive rating in character match ups still doesn't win tournaments, that's how lopsided the game is, but it's still fun.

Smash still has big winners with a lot of different characters. Hell, Falco was the highest placing character in the top 5 at Genesis, unless you consider Zhu and M2k playing Fox, which aren't their mains so it's iffy. Even then, Zhu lost playing Fox against Hungrybox, so that's saying something.

And I'm not quitting lol :/

Gnosis, what videos specifically are you looking for? I have a video of Tager perfecting the best Noel at Evo if you wanna see that. It's pretty sick.

gnosis

Smash Lord
Jiggz placed higher. 1st and 3rd compared to 1st and 4th.

Anyway, I don't have any specifics in mind, just something that makes me think projectile-based zoning characters aren't OP in BB. The Tager vid sounds cool, even if Noel isn't really who I think of when I say that lol.

And god **** there were a lot of Peach players at Genesis.

QraQ

Smash Ace
Not really. Smash is different in that low tier characters still have a chance, and 6-4 matchups don't mean as much as they do in BB. By dominated by 3-4 characters, I mean literally every tournament is Nu, Rachel, Arakune, and the occassional Jin/Toakaka. A very limited number of tournaments, at least big main stream tournaments, have been won by Carl, who is the only other positive character. I mean, a character with a positive rating in character match ups still doesn't win tournaments, that's how lopsided the game is, but it's still fun.

Smash still has big winners with a lot of different characters. Hell, Falco was the highest placing character in the top 5 at Genesis, unless you consider Zhu and M2k playing Fox, which aren't their mains so it's iffy. Even then, Zhu lost playing Fox against Hungrybox, so that's saying something.

And I'm not quitting lol :/

Gnosis, what videos specifically are you looking for? I have a video of Tager perfecting the best Noel at Evo if you wanna see that. It's pretty sick.
Pretty much as tournies go you have marth falco jiggs fox and sheiks placing high. As far as low tiers are concerned they still dont match up to top tier. Just like in BB mind games do actually work just to less of an extent.

You've been playing for like a week I've been playing for 6 months lol.

Turtlehoop

Smash Ace
I know, but Jiggs placing higher helps prove my point, because she's apparently lower on the tier list. That was my drift, that lower tier characters in smash (even if still being high tier) place higher than they do in BB.

I do agree though, the top 3 characters in the game are OP because of their projectile capabilities, especially Nu. Nu really is comparable Metaknight in Brawl.

Tager vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-bj...8EF7A543&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=20

This Noel also won Evo, so that's saying something...except that Mike Z is probably THE best player in BlazBlue in the US and plays the lowest tier character in the game.

gnosis

Smash Lord
I know, but Jiggs placing higher helps prove my point, because she's apparently lower on the tier list. That was my drift, that lower tier characters in smash (even if still being high tier) place higher than they do in BB.

I do agree though, the top 3 characters in the game are OP because of their projectile capabilities, especially Nu. Nu really is comparable Metaknight in Brawl.

Tager vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-bj...8EF7A543&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=20

This Noel also won Evo, so that's saying something...except that Mike Z is probably THE best player in BlazBlue in the US and plays the lowest tier character in the game.
I know, that's why I corrected you, to help your argument :p Falco placing highest isn't impressive at all, he's pretty much in a 4-way tie for best character.

Saw a vid where Mike Z gets perfected by a Nu :(

Although he also did some pretty **** things in that vid. Like taking out Nu in a... three hit combo? She had almost full health but had barrier bursted lol.

Really my biggest problem with BB, cuz I think it'll be better balanced over time and revisions like GG was, but my biggest problem is the character design. I never feel cool playing such ugly, ugly characters. That and GG's movesets are just more fun to me.

Fyr3-STRIKE

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm starting a Let's Play video, and I finally have all of the video and audio recording devices and such ready. Trouble is, is I'm having a REALLY hard time picking out a game. So if you have a suggestion for an LP video (Turtlehoop, you probably have good ideas....) I'd appreciate it. I'd prefer if the game was on NES/SNES/N64, but if I have to venture out a bit further that's fine too.

gnosis

Smash Lord
My friend's an LP superstar, here's some tips from him:

Tip 1 - Make sure to not register HyperCam

Tip 2 - Make sure your cursor is visible on screen most or all of the time

Tip 3 - Use lots of savestates and little editing

Also I suggest Yoshi's Story. My friend suggests Pokemon Puzzle League.

Fyr3-STRIKE

Smash Apprentice
@Gnosis, LOL. Don't worry my recorder records at a very nice framerate and leaves no watermark. So my videos won't have a huge (UNREGISTERED HYPERCAM 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) on it. The cursor will never cross the playing area, and I don't play on using savestates.

@craztad, I'm not very good at this kind of thing, but do you know if its possible to put the metroid prime disc in a PC and run in emulator to read the disc? I would love to do a video on Metroid Prime, but on the otherhand I don't know everything about it like a lot of people do (I still can't beat prime on my first playthrough, I always die right before you have to stand in the phazon or w/e and shoot him).

@scenekid, Which Yoshi's story? The N64 or SNES one? SNES, good idea, N64, headache. Kirby64 seems like fun.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
Yesterday 06:01 PM
Turtlehoop What's more fun than playing a chick the game refers to as Boobie lady?!

Yesterday 08:51 PM
gnosis Playing as a gay pool shark assassin, of course!

Today 01:54 AM
Turtlehoop ...Touche, sir.

good ****...

craztad

Smash Journeyman
Fyre: You can rip your gamecube disc using the wii and homebrew(or an app like it) and then put it on your computer and just recently the dolphin gamecube/wii emulator gave the ability to fully emulate both metroid prime 1 and 2. As for savestates i don't think they work yet but there are enough save points in the game you shouldn't have to worry about it. As for dieing against primes second(where you stand in the phazon puddles so you can shoot your phazon beam) form i could make a video showing you the easy way to do it in three puddles which leaves pretty much no way to die. I could also help you with half way killing ridley in a couple seconds which makes that battle super easy too.

As for the begginning of the game i would recommend doing it something like this: (this is the first four segments of one of my unfinished speed runs, you would probably want to grab more items than me cause i was going for the super hard 22% finish total, oh and i cut out the cutscenes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQDbC55tfc

Fyr3-STRIKE

Smash Apprentice
Fyre: You can rip your gamecube disc using the wii and homebrew(or an app like it) and then put it on your computer and just recently the dolphin gamecube/wii emulator gave the ability to fully emulate both metroid prime 1 and 2. As for savestates i don't think they work yet but there are enough save points in the game you shouldn't have to worry about it. As for dieing against primes second(where you stand in the phazon puddles so you can shoot your phazon beam) form i could make a video showing you the easy way to do it in three puddles which leaves pretty much no way to die. I could also help you with half way killing ridley in a couple seconds which makes that battle super easy too.
Ridley is easy though. And I can't get to the pools, I die JUST BEFORE IT(I suck). Anyways before I waste my time, would a 3.2 GHz P4(single core, 2 threads), 2 gb DDR2 RAM, and an nVidia 6800 256mb, be able to run dolphin w/ metroid at a decent frame rate? If not, I can wait till I build a rig with an i7 and HD4890/260GTX x2 (hopefully within the month, maybe september).

If Metroid falls through I'm thinking either Shining Force (Genesis/PC game similar to fire emblem), Pokémon Crystal (cause HG/SS is coming out soon), Donkey Kong Country (1 or 2), Mischief Makers, Mario Party Mini Game Islands, and by suggestion, Yoshi's Story(is this a joke?), and Kirby64. I'm still taking suggestions.

Oh and BTW, I looked into the Wii Disc Dumper, and it requires WADing, which sort of bothers me. WADs brick wiis, and WADs are the source of all Wii piracy. So I'm a bit hesitant to install that, because I really don't like the concept.

craztad

Smash Journeyman
pentium 4 single core ouch, ya i wouldn't waste your time with it yet especially if you don't want to mess with the disc dumping. My i7 quad running 64 bit ubuntu 9.04 will run prime at full speed but i don't know exactly whats required for full frame rate.

I like the sound of Shining Force, that is where my vote rests now.

Turtlehoop

Smash Ace
Camstudio is good for recording. Then again, I've only done videos with VisualBoy and No$GBA.
I would advise not to do a Johto pokemon game if you want to play HG/SS. I've played through Shiny Gold, Shiny Gold X, Liquid Crystal, and Silver in the last 2 months, and I'm playing through Crystal right now on my actual gameboy and I'm sick of Johto.

Really, though, it's up to you on what to do. Pick a game you enjoy to play, you know how to play pretty well, and you can get through the game without looking like a ******* (for the most part, blonde moments in LPs are entertaining to an extent).

If you start posting your LPs on Youtube let me know and I can do some advertising for you.

Also, I'm pretty sure Gnosis was being sarcastic when he gave you the 3 tips lol.

knuttz45

Smash Ace
BTW....SETH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

did you get your car? please say yes....

Fyr3-STRIKE

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so I recorded the first 'episode' and the audio is horribly out of sync (I used camstudio). Basically since my sound card is horrid and doesn't support recording, I plugged a cable between the line in and line out, and set the microphone to the line in port. Only problem is the sound was a few seconds off. Is there anyway to fix this?

craztad

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I recorded the first 'episode' and the audio is horribly out of sync (I used camstudio). Basically since my sound card is horrid and doesn't support recording, I plugged a cable between the line in and line out, and set the microphone to the line in port. Only problem is the sound was a few seconds off. Is there anyway to fix this?
Ok here comes the video answers but first some questions so i can figure out how to do this easily for you:
Are you on windows?
If yes, do you know anything about avisynth?
If no its no big deal (i will just cry a little and prepare to write some avisynth scripts for you), do you know about x264 encoding?
If no then i will cry a little more and start writing a batch script for you.

so if your on windows and don't have avisynth download this and install it, it has everything you need to for me to help align your audio. Actually running the program it installs called anrichan will not do what you need done so don't bother trying it to align the audio.

A basic avisynth script will look like this:
avisource("C:\blablahbal.avi").Delay(0.000)
converttoyv12()
easy right. now in the script where it has delay you will want to change it to how much you want the audio delayed. for negative delay it would look like ".Delay(-0.012)" for example. You can make this avisynth script by making a new txt file and then saving it with an extension of .avs for example: myvideo.avs

So the thing i had you install should have a folder called anrichan3_beta4 somewhere in your program files. Go into it and look for virtualdub folder, inside it there is a program called virtualdub, use it to open your avs file and see if your audio delay is right. It may be a little tedious to get it right the first time but then it should be the same everytime after that so you won't have to worry about the delay anymore.

If you get that far then i can help you with getting it re-encoded with the delay using x264 and get a small batch script set up for you to make it extremely easy so you only have to give the program the video location and it will pop out a new video for you.

If you are not on windows then i will give you a completely different method that is slightly more involved.

edit: on second thought it would be a hell of a lot easier for you to upload a small video to rapidshare or something like that so i can download it and figure out the correct delay so you don't have to mess with the tedious part of it and i can get the correct batch scripting figured out for bitrate and frames per second to re-encode with.

edit2: just to make this post have something smash related, i practiced a little marth today, it was fun.

Fyr3-STRIKE

Smash Apprentice
I think my head is going to explode. Anyways; I installed anrichan3beta4, and I have no clue where to type the avisynth script. And Is this just going to delay when the audio starts? Because it starts on time; but by the time the video ends, the audio ended 10-15 seconds earlier than the video. I have used virtualdub before however, so I'm completely lost there.

I typed that script into notepad and saved it as .avs, and loaded that into Virtualdub, and it gave me this error. Avisynth open failure: Script error: there is no function named "Delay" (C:\filepath\basic.avs, line 1)

craztad

Smash Journeyman
fyre: so the video and audio are aligned at the start but slowly desyncs over time? This kind of thing is called progressive desync and is not fun at all to try and fix, upload the video file to rapidshare or filefront or something so i can try to write a program to do this for you cause i don't think there is really an easy and not dirty way to fix this without screwing the audio quality up or paying lots of money for some stupid program. If you think you have a headache, it is going to be me with it if your video has variable speed sound.

Fyr3-STRIKE

Smash Apprentice
Should I compress it to a smaller format or just file compression? 700 MBs is quite large (Recorded at 30 FPS). Or do you want me to record a shorter segment/less FPS?

I don't know how, but it compressed to just 12.2 MB....O_o

AlCheMisT amari

Smash Journeyman
Smash
Smash
More Smash
Falcon kick, falcon Dwoooohh
Smash
Smash
Pound
Smash
Smash
waahhooo
yah, yah, yahoooo
Smash
Smash
C-Stick
More Smash
Smash
When is next Smash...
Smash...
Smash...

Edit: oh and i also figure that i should still try to somewhat main Ness in Melee still, just for the fact that i can say i love to play ness and i can have a favorite character throughout the epicness that is called Smash Bros. because everyone loves Smash tattoos.

craztad

Smash Journeyman
fyre: i would actully prefer you to just record a small 30 second file and upload it uncompressed because the compression will make it much harder to figure out.

craztad

Smash Journeyman
Fyre: don't worry about the uncompressed video, i thought you were compressing it with an encoder. the winrar file will work just fine.

craztad

Smash Journeyman
fyre: ok so this isn't going to be perfect but its the closest thing i can come up with at the moment since well that video piece is about the worst video to even attempt this due to nothing at the beginning to line up the initial delay with certainty. but here goes..

Make a txt file and name it "video.avs". In that file put
avisource("the video name").delayaudio(-0.8)
timestretch(rate=96.4)
converttoyv12()
where "the video name" is the name of your video.
now move the the text file to the same folder as your video.
then open that text file with virtualdub and use virtualdub to save the video as an new video.
that should be it. You can play with the 96.4 and the -0.8 to see if you can get it aligned better. the 96.4 is a percentage of the playback speed so i have the audio playing at 96.4% of normal speed. The delayaudio is the initial delay. hope this works for you

Fyr3-STRIKE

Smash Apprentice
Thanks craztad, its working pretty well, I've made a few adjustments and I can get it perfect until the last 30 seconds and then its a bit out of sync. So it's nothing I can't figure out now. Thank you so much for your help.

craztad

Smash Journeyman
haha glad that worked for ya and that well. I don't even have windows anymore so I was actually just using math based on audio length and video length and hoping that the avisynth code would actually work. At least i know i don't have alzheimers yet.

gnosis we gotta smash soon. I always end up playing halo at brandons instead it seems, but sadly that is more entertaining to me.

Top Bottom