• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I'd Telegraph That!" - Little Mac Video Thread

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
"U-Turn KO Punch", huh?

that reminds me, every now and again sometimesI'll attempt a JC KO punch, but accidentally throw it the opposite direction... is there some trick to reversing the KO Punch, because I've tried B-reversing Straight Lunge, with no success... and if there is, how is it done?
if i may, there's actually a thread on these boards that explain different ways to reverse your KO punch:
http://smashboards.com/threads/reversing-your-k-o-punch.415266/#post-19997421
(full disclosure: thread was created by me, lol)

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
Thomau5's usage of empty hops with Little Mac is interesting. He took 7th in NHSmash 1: http://nhsmash.challonge.com/NHSmashSingles. Don't know anything about the Netherland's scene, but critique away.

vs. Jwkoelewijin's Ike: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PAFZwLUEQI.

vs. LuLLo's Captain Falcon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRo8kUpGnU.

vs. Meru's Peach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drymb6Hx5Vw.
whoa, first time i'm seeing thomau5. he's pretty legit! good looking out.

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
Was looking for a good place to share this, so I'm putting it here.
This was stupidly funny.

Last edited:

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
With no disrespect intended, "Sting Like a Bee" is fairly derivative and blatantly false incertain areas. A keen example would be the discussion of its aerials, stating they have no use past the donkey kong crazy death combo. Down-tilt to fair is true combo that sets up smash on missed tech, f-tilt on landing, or boost grab for followup. Backair true-combos out of uptilt's backside and also frame traps for fast fall d-tilt. Its just important not to discourage would be mac players from actually exploring their options with aerials. Mac's Dair combos into footstool and in certain matchups is actually acceptable for gimps, mac's nair confirms up-B and extends it for kills at lower percents. Yes his aerial game is not amazing, but there is a lot more to it than one niche combo setup. Most of the play showcased in the video itself is fairly low-end. Very heavy smash orientation with excessive rolls and no tilt game. Even as a guide for glory, they should still see more solid play available. I did appreciate the dispelling of the notion that mac is either lowest of bottom tier, or top 15- as some players genuinely believe that and I find them mind boggling. The statement "Little mac won't be winning vs top tier players" isn't necessarily true, though it is fair to say he will suffer disadvantage innately. The statement "little mac suffers vs ALL top tiers, high tiers, and most mid tiers" is simply untrue regarding his matchups, he has varied winning and losing matchups between all tiers of play, including a terrible (top 7 worst) matchup vs MARTH of all characters. Neutral special should not be a mixup, an exotic mindgame AT best. Good shoutout to perfect pivoting, yes yes and yes. Overall I dont think I would recommend this guide to aspiring macs.

jet56

Smash Journeyman
With no disrespect intended, "Sting Like a Bee" is fairly derivative and blatantly false incertain areas. A keen example would be the discussion of its aerials, stating they have no use past the donkey kong crazy death combo. Down-tilt to fair is true combo that sets up smash on missed tech, f-tilt on landing, or boost grab for followup. Backair true-combos out of uptilt's backside and also frame traps for fast fall d-tilt. Its just important not to discourage would be mac players from actually exploring their options with aerials. Mac's Dair combos into footstool and in certain matchups is actually acceptable for gimps, mac's nair confirms up-B and extends it for kills at lower percents. Yes his aerial game is not amazing, but there is a lot more to it than one niche combo setup. Most of the play showcased in the video itself is fairly low-end. Very heavy smash orientation with excessive rolls and no tilt game. Even as a guide for glory, they should still see more solid play available. I did appreciate the dispelling of the notion that mac is either lowest of bottom tier, or top 15- as some players genuinely believe that and I find them mind boggling. The statement "Little mac won't be winning vs top tier players" isn't necessarily true, though it is fair to say he will suffer disadvantage innately. The statement "little mac suffers vs ALL top tiers, high tiers, and most mid tiers" is simply untrue regarding his matchups, he has varied winning and losing matchups between all tiers of play, including a terrible (top 7 worst) matchup vs MARTH of all characters. Neutral special should not be a mixup, an exotic mindgame AT best. Good shoutout to perfect pivoting, yes yes and yes. Overall I dont think I would recommend this guide to aspiring macs.
agreed. i have also begun to personally explore aerials for mac, and it lets him get combos and strings in ways that aren't explored enough by mac players. personally i would recommend this video instead, if people haven't seen it yet:

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Huh, didn't know this thread existed till now…The Lab just got some shiny new tools.
Splash Damage Splash Damage just saw this. tough break, man, but good showing though! mac nation stepping up!

Yeah, I'm still really disappointed in myself for not being able to close that set out with an upset, especially when I was feeling on top of my game, but there's nothing I can do about it now. In any case, thanks, I've been trying to rep Mac as best I can out here. Least I learned a lot about those match ups I guess.
Yes his aerial game is not amazing, but there is a lot more to it than one niche combo setup.
Recently found out that since perfectly buffered B-air autocancels, RAR B-air(Potentially F-air as well?)into immediate side B on landing at ~100% from center stage is a kill combo that connects on a tech miss or tech in place. They're not worthless.

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
Ill look into the back-air to side-B as a setup in lab, thank you for bringing it to my awareness, in exchange I strongly recommend incorporating lots of D-tilt nair to footstools into dair-locks int oyour game, as they bait low air dodges and condition people for getting Dewda'd (Air dodging to ground into smash attack for early stock)

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Ill look into the back-air to side-B as a setup in lab, thank you for bringing it to my awareness, in exchange I strongly recommend incorporating lots of D-tilt nair to footstools into dair-locks int oyour game, as they bait low air dodges and condition people for getting Dewda'd (Air dodging to ground into smash attack for early stock)
is the dair lock after a nair foostool always a guaranteed followup? cause i feel i only can land it like half of the time. also, the only move safe on shield for mac on this point is Dtilt if spaced right?

side note: ill post my matches here when my locals puts up the video on youtube, only got to losers quarters but whatev.
http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/v/19465486 the twitch stream for my local, my matches are at:
1:42:00
2:08:00
2:28:00

and here's the challonge bracket:
http://challonge.com/tgzsmash10_6

take a look, i would love your guy's input on my playstyle, and what im doing right and wrong. trying to rep mac down here in AZ.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
is the dair lock after a nair foostool always a guaranteed followup? cause i feel i only can land it like half of the time. also, the only move safe on shield for mac on this point is Dtilt if spaced right?

side note: ill post my matches here when my locals puts up the video on youtube, only got to losers quarters but whatev.
http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/v/19465486 the twitch stream for my local, my matches are at:
1:42:00
2:08:00
2:28:00

and here's the challonge bracket:
http://challonge.com/tgzsmash10_6

take a look, i would love your guy's input on my playstyle, and what im doing right and wrong. trying to rep mac down here in AZ.
^ggs man. my tourney experience is extremely limited so you don't have to take what i say as if it carries any weight, but i felt like either A) you weren't familiar with the diddy/pikachu/sheik matchups (and very aggressive playstyles at that) ; or B) the pressure got to you and you couldn't read things (that pikachu b-air whiff when you had the ko punch!). anyway, i think how you played the link match was great, and i would have thought that would have carried over into some of your other matches. the 2nd pikachu match on fd was good too. vs sheik, i know the pressure gets overwhelming when you get swiped across the screen like that, but every sheik goes for those, and you could tell he was waiting for you to use your second jump to steal it. i think you could work on your reading skills, and your DI/SDI -- i think you could've survived at least 2 or 3 of those stocks in those matches if you DI'd properly. overall though, no worries man, keep it up. those are tough matchups for mac, but i'm sure you'll do better next time.

on another note, i was watching nairo play mac the other day and i noticed he plays very different than, say, sol or japan. here's the link. i feel like he doesn't really commit -- basically plays with jab, dtilt, jab, nair? until he gets an opening and then resets to neutral and does his jab, dtilt thing. it's weird, but i tried the style out and it's pretty effective. what are your guys' thoughts on that?

EDIT: it could be because of the new shieldstun mechanics -- zero and keitaro were talking about the 1.1.1 patch and keitaro was remarking on how zero was now able to dtilt on shield with diddy and not necessarily get punished by vinnie's sheik. diddy's dtilt is similar to mac's, so mac's frame 1 jab/dtilt on shield are probably going to be more effective moving forward after this patch.

Last edited:

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
^I've already told Sol about this, but I've done some testing on shields as Mac(I still have yet to do more extensive stuff but will this weekend), and Mac's properly spaced down angled Fsmash on shield is now no longer punishable by:
Shiek's dashgrab or dash attack
Falcon's dashgrab or dash attack
Fox's dashgrab or dash attack
Metaknight's dash grab or dash attack
ZSS's dash grab or dash attack
Mario's dashgrab or dash attack
Greninja's dashgrab
Or Rosalina's dash grab. And these are the only characters I've tested. Note that I tested this by DaFsmashing their shields with preferable spacing, and was buffering jab or up B, but mostly up B as some characters have grabboxes beyond hurtboxes. Also huge: a similar effect goes to perfectly spaced Ftilt on shield; it can now be followed by buffered jab or up b on the slower dashgrabs.
Additionally, since before you were able to stuff shieldgrabs after Dtilt with jab1, now with the +3 base shieldstun you're able to stuff dashgrabs with Ftilt or even up B. Mac can now pressure shields and stop shield grabs with reliable, early kill moves.

Also, after having just found this thread, I realized that since my TO literally always puts me on stream at our weeklies, I have a good amount of footage from pre-patch and will likely get some from current patch this week. I'd be willing to link it if desired.

Last edited:

jet56

Smash Journeyman
^ggs man. my tourney experience is extremely limited so you don't have to take what i say as if it carries any weight, but i felt like either A) you weren't familiar with the diddy/pikachu/sheik matchups (and very aggressive playstyles at that) ; or B) the pressure got to you and you couldn't read things (that pikachu b-air whiff when you had the ko punch!). anyway, i think how you played the link match was great, and i would have thought that would have carried over into some of your other matches. the 2nd pikachu match on fd was good too. vs sheik, i know the pressure gets overwhelming when you get swiped across the screen like that, but every sheik goes for those, and you could tell he was waiting for you to use your second jump to steal it. i think you could work on your reading skills, and your DI/SDI -- i think you could've survived at least 2 or 3 of those stocks in those matches if you DI'd properly. overall though, no worries man, keep it up. those are tough matchups for mac, but i'm sure you'll do better next time.

on another note, i was watching nairo play mac the other day and i noticed he plays very different than, say, sol or japan. here's the link. i feel like he doesn't really commit -- basically plays with jab, dtilt, jab, nair? until he gets an opening and then resets to neutral and does his jab, dtilt thing. it's weird, but i tried the style out and it's pretty effective. what are your guys' thoughts on that?

EDIT: it could be because of the new shieldstun mechanics -- zero and keitaro were talking about the 1.1.1 patch and keitaro was remarking on how zero was now able to dtilt on shield with diddy and not necessarily get punished by vinnie's sheik. diddy's dtilt is similar to mac's, so mac's frame 1 jab/dtilt on shield are probably going to be more effective moving forward after this patch.
yeah, playstyles vary a lot between different mac players, but i find my aggressive style stems from my idea that if im not moving, im vulnerable. i have been working on "slowing it down" with mac, as an aggro approach is only effective on an opponent who is under pressure, or if you are in his head or looking for a read. To be frank, safe pressure is still difficult with little mac, as his dtilt is not safe if its not spaced. here is a good example:
megamans grab comes out frame 6. little macs dtilt comes out frame 3 and ends on frame 22. using the shieldstun formula we come to:
8/1.75+2=6.5 frames of shieldstun. so
frame 3 dtilt hits megamans shield
suffers 6.5 frames of shield stun
you are at frame 9.5 meaning you need to wait 12.5 frames before you can buffer an option
megaman uses grab OoS, taking 6 frames to initiate
by frame 18.5, megaman will have grabbed you, and you still needed to wait another 4.5 frames before jabs hitbox came out.

this is my understanding of it, unless im missing something regarding if little mac gets any frame advantage when he hits a shield, regarding shield hit lag or something else. now, this is if the megaman player is fast enough to shield grab before he misses his window, and of course, he has to be within range, since a spaced dtilt outreaches megamans grab. but even little macs best move for shield pressure isn't completely safe across the cast, which sucks. but again if im doing something wrong in my math, please let me know.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
megamans grab comes out frame 6. little macs dtilt comes out frame 3 and ends on frame 22. using the shieldstun formula we come to:
8/1.75+2=6.5 frames of shieldstun. so
frame 3 dtilt hits megamans shield
suffers 6.5 frames of shield stun
you are at frame 9.5 meaning you need to wait 12.5 frames before you can buffer an option
megaman uses grab OoS, taking 6 frames to initiate
by frame 18.5, megaman will have grabbed you, and you still needed to wait another 4.5 frames before jabs hitbox came out.

this is my understanding of it, unless im missing something regarding if little mac gets any frame advantage when he hits a shield, regarding shield hit lag or something else. now, this is if the megaman player is fast enough to shield grab before he misses his window, and of course, he has to be within range, since a spaced dtilt outreaches megamans grab. but even little macs best move for shield pressure isn't completely safe across the cast, which sucks. but again if im doing something wrong in my math, please let me know.
I'll test this out later to see for sure how it is. I'll edit this post when I have he info.

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Just did some brief testing and found out that, if you are very close to your opponent and poorly space your down tilt, then yes, it is possible to be shieldgrabbed. However, even if you just do a single p-pivot away from them after being directly next to them and D-tilt, you will definitely be out of standing shieldgrab range**, forcing them to either fail a standing shieldgrab and eat a punish or go through shield drop frame sand commit to a slower dashgrab, which can likely be stuffed by even Ftilt. Additionally, the impressive range of Dtilt means that the ratio of the area of shieldgrab danger to the area of hitboxes is tilted way, way in hitbox's favor. Essentially, you almost have to try to get shieldgrabbed after Dtilt in most cases, especially against zoning characters like Megaman who will likely never aggressively rush in looking for the grab.
**If you d-tilt to fast after the p-pivot, you may stop the p-pivot's movement too soon, keeping you in shieldgrab range

Last edited:

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
I have a good amount of set replays from the weekly I attend from pre-1.1.1, but just to keep it concise(and ignore the ones where I did bad), I'll just post 2.
https://youtu.be/FSx8nJbnpQ8 vs :4sheik:&:4falcon:
This was against a ranked player in NE, currently 7th IIRC. Not much to note against his Shiek, I just did the typical Down-tilt-a-whole-lot-cause-that's-damage. Even the commentator said it, it was essentially just a pocket Shiek, no real huge things to note about the MU here. His falcon is a very aggressive one, so I was able to get a lot of Down angled Fsmashes&tilt combos. Also, the benefits&risks of saving your jump for use late in recovery are both shown(good @4:35, bad @5:07). Additionally, a really important factor of the Mac/Falcon matchup is driving the Falcon offstage and catching the Up B w/Dsmash for early kills.
https://youtu.be/gb8VYBP4gPM vs :4sheik:
Game 1 I goofed pretty bad, attempting to tech on the ground that wasn't there without a jump. Game 2 was…something else altogether. Game 3 was a much closer match, where I was able to clutch it out with D-tilt Up B. Essentially, against an aggressive Shiek, save your 'Macdash' baits for when it really counts, as a Shiek's approaching F-air can be punished on whiff if you roll back. This gives you a free D-tilt setup, leading into D-tilt>KO punch or D-tilt>Up B. Try to only bait an approaching fair with a Macdash when you have a KO punch or when they're at death % to Dtilt>Up B. Also, when you get CP'd to DL, you can still use those platforms for tech chases or jab locks, though they're much harder/more unlikely to get.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
I have a good amount of set replays from the weekly I attend from pre-1.1.1, but just to keep it concise(and ignore the ones where I did bad), I'll just post 2.
https://youtu.be/FSx8nJbnpQ8 vs :4sheik:&:4falcon:
This was against a ranked player in NE, currently 7th IIRC. Not much to note against his Shiek, I just did the typical Down-tilt-a-whole-lot-cause-that's-damage. Even the commentator said it, it was essentially just a pocket Shiek, no real huge things to note about the MU here. His falcon is a very aggressive one, so I was able to get a lot of Down angled Fsmashes&tilt combos. Also, the benefits&risks of saving your jump for use late in recovery are both shown(good @4:35, bad @5:07). Additionally, a really important factor of the Mac/Falcon matchup is driving the Falcon offstage and catching the Up B w/Dsmash for early kills.
https://youtu.be/gb8VYBP4gPM vs :4sheik:
Game 1 I goofed pretty bad, attempting to tech on the ground that wasn't there without a jump. Game 2 was…something else altogether. Game 3 was a much closer match, where I was able to clutch it out with D-tilt Up B. Essentially, against an aggressive Shiek, save your 'Macdash' baits for when it really counts, as a Shiek's approaching F-air can be punished on whiff if you roll back. This gives you a free D-tilt setup, leading into D-tilt>KO punch or D-tilt>Up B. Try to only bait an approaching fair with a Macdash when you have a KO punch or when they're at death % to Dtilt>Up B. Also, when you get CP'd to DL, you can still use those platforms for tech chases or jab locks, though they're much harder/more unlikely to get.
good stuff man! you can kind of see the 'pre-patch-ness' of these games -- i was expecting a lot more shieldstun on a couple hits but you guys were dropping shield instantly for punishes in ways that you probably couldn't do now.

anyway, i really like your use of spotdodge, it's very effective for your playstyle. will probably be even better post-patch, as stun will make some options a couple frames safer. i would like to see you mix-up your 'macdash' (lol) with dancetrotting, as the timing mix-up can really mess with an opponent (and also, since everyone's roll is now one frame 'less safe', it makes sense to not rely on it so heavily). i would also suggest that you incorporate jab1 more. your dtilt usage is awesome, but don't sleep on mixing up with jab. you already know frame 1 jab can hit confirm into dtilt as well at higher percentages, or even hit confirm into ko/upB for the stock, so why not use it more? but overall, these were awesome matches, and you were making mac look really good dude, keep it up!

Laitome

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0929-1203
Will return when the YouTube version is up but here is another one of my matches from the tournament I have most recently participated in.

http://www.twitch.tv/jaaahsh/v/21160699

My match is at 3:51:35

As per usual my analysis, don't read until you've seen the match:

Game 1: Ness v. Little Mac: Remind me to inform my local scene about little known little mac facts. Also yes I have been working on my dance-trotting but I have yet to learn how to incorporate it into my play without getting hit for it. I actually do later on but not in this match

I actually consider this matchup to be slightly in ness's favor, but it isn't hopeless simply because spaced f-tilts are safe and because Ness's recovery can be hit by down-smash, something that I demonstrate is possible three times.

first stocks: He regrabs the ledge and I get a free down-smash. I jab at the ledge expecting a jump from the ledge. I wasn't wrong but got the wrong type of jump, he air-dodges through my jabs and bairs me.

Second stocks: I manage to deny Gooby the ledge properly with two near frame perfect down-smashes. After awhile he takes mine because I got lazy and went straight to the ledge, lost a stock for it. Remember don't be lazy with your recovery.

Final stock: I land another near frame perfect down-smash and the fear alone makes him flub his recovery.

Game 2: Yoshi v. Little Mac: Yoshi has a better Little Mac match-up than Ness

My First stock: Absolute crap DI + a read ledge-roll = dead me

My Second stock: I actually encountered controller issues, couldn't fastfall for whatever reason this also happens a few times in game 3. Anyway I misspace my jump and get lylated for my mistake.

His First stock: I actually gained some momentum then first hit f-tilt into f-smash takes gooby's stock

His second stock: Still had momentum lost a K.O. punch but I catch his landing with an U-smash and take his second stock

My last stock: I make the mistake of giving Gooby stage control and thus give up my momentum. I jump for the ledge, lylat tips up, I collide with the bottom of the ledge instead; don't react in time, lose my stock.

Game 3: Yoshi v. Little Mac:

First stocks: Could've lost a stock early if I didn't challenge that nose spike with a side b, anyway. I f-tilt his shield, he mashes out an U-smash, but I get a side B out in time and send him behind me. For those who are wondering what happened: Grounded side b has 3 frames of total invincibility starting on frame 1. The upsmash gets eaten by the invincibility and on frame 9 the actual attack comes out and sends him flying. He then proceeds to even the score with a sourspot fair sending me flying horizontally.

Second stocks: dog assited f-tilt nuff said. But really there were so many times I could've killed him with a down-smash and he wouldn't have a jump, I'm facepalming at how I failed to notice I had those chances. I lose my stock by perfect shielding a downb from yoshi, but I'm facing the wrong directiong when I mash out u-smash whoops there goes my stock.

final stock: I manage to spot-dodge a b-reverse neutral b only to get jabbed before I can K.O. punch *sigh*. Either way he gets a ton of momentum at the beginning of this stock, but I manage to get momentum after losing the K.O. punch. I fail to end the stock earlier by doing an f-tilt instead of an f-smash, the pain of not using the c-stick. Either way I manage to hit his shield twice with d smash, spot dodge the u smash and punish with another d smash to finish the game although any smash would've done there.

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
Will return when the YouTube version is up but here is another one of my matches from the tournament I have most recently participated in.

http://www.twitch.tv/jaaahsh/v/21160699

My match is at 3:51:35

As per usual my analysis, don't read until you've seen the match:

Game 1: Ness v. Little Mac: Remind me to inform my local scene about little known little mac facts. Also yes I have been working on my dance-trotting but I have yet to learn how to incorporate it into my play without getting hit for it. I actually do later on but not in this match

I actually consider this matchup to be slightly in ness's favor, but it isn't hopeless simply because spaced f-tilts are safe and because Ness's recovery can be hit by down-smash, something that I demonstrate is possible three times.

first stocks: He regrabs the ledge and I get a free down-smash. I jab at the ledge expecting a jump from the ledge. I wasn't wrong but got the wrong type of jump, he air-dodges through my jabs and bairs me.

Second stocks: I manage to deny Gooby the ledge properly with two near frame perfect down-smashes. After awhile he takes mine because I got lazy and went straight to the ledge, lost a stock for it. Remember don't be lazy with your recovery.

Final stock: I land another near frame perfect down-smash and the fear alone makes him flub his recovery.

Game 2: Yoshi v. Little Mac: Yoshi has a better Little Mac match-up than Ness

My First stock: Absolute crap DI + a read ledge-roll = dead me

My Second stock: I actually encountered controller issues, couldn't fastfall for whatever reason this also happens a few times in game 3. Anyway I misspace my jump and get lylated for my mistake.

His First stock: I actually gained some momentum then first hit f-tilt into f-smash takes gooby's stock

His second stock: Still had momentum lost a K.O. punch but I catch his landing with an U-smash and take his second stock

My last stock: I make the mistake of giving Gooby stage control and thus give up my momentum. I jump for the ledge, lylat tips up, I collide with the bottom of the ledge instead; don't react in time, lose my stock.

Game 3: Yoshi v. Little Mac:

First stocks: Could've lost a stock early if I didn't challenge that nose spike with a side b, anyway. I f-tilt his shield, he mashes out an U-smash, but I get a side B out in time and send him behind me. For those who are wondering what happened: Grounded side b has 3 frames of total invincibility starting on frame 1. The upsmash gets eaten by the invincibility and on frame 9 the actual attack comes out and sends him flying. He then proceeds to even the score with a sourspot fair sending me flying horizontally.

Second stocks: dog assited f-tilt nuff said. But really there were so many times I could've killed him with a down-smash and he wouldn't have a jump, I'm facepalming at how I failed to notice I had those chances. I lose my stock by perfect shielding a downb from yoshi, but I'm facing the wrong directiong when I mash out u-smash whoops there goes my stock.

final stock: I manage to spot-dodge a b-reverse neutral b only to get jabbed before I can K.O. punch *sigh*. Either way he gets a ton of momentum at the beginning of this stock, but I manage to get momentum after losing the K.O. punch. I fail to end the stock earlier by doing an f-tilt instead of an f-smash, the pain of not using the c-stick. Either way I manage to hit his shield twice with d smash, spot dodge the u smash and punish with another d smash to finish the game although any smash would've done there.
good work man. btw, just want to say, if you guys find my critique/analysis annoying or not helpful, let me know that you guys don't care to hear my input on these tourney matches (because i honestly don't go to tourneys due to work and taking care of my baby). i won't be offended -- i'm trying to help, but if i'm really not helping i don't want to be that guy.

anyway, good stuff against ness. i agree, good option coverage with the rapid jab at the ledge, unfortunately he did the ledge drop version of jump and airdodged through allowing for a free punish. i honestly thought you were going to style on him a couple times with countering pk2 off-stage lol. obviously safer to try punish with dsmash on ledge, and your timing was on-point so good job. (as a side note, this is theorycrafting, i'm wondering whether the mac meta would benefit with learning to hit with the backside of mac's dsmash so there's less of a punishable window if he misses. when you whiff the front hit of dsmash on a 2-frame-vulnerability-ledgegrab attempt, mac still has a lot of frames of the back hit to eat through before the first actionable frame. if macs start timing the ledgegrab vulnerability by the back hit, he will have less endlag frames to worry about.)

that lylat game was full of unfortunate instances. mac vs lylat, but honestly i don't think lylat is that bad of a stage. dh game was good. vs yoshi, what i would like to say is that if you're expecting an egg, you can absolutely run under and upsmash almost every time. also, for the same reason that your ko punch got stuffed by yoshi's jabs after your awesome read on the b-reverse egg lay, i would suggest trying to frame 1 jab before going for the ko punch. the frame 1 jab does many things in that situation: 1) lets you hit confirm>ko leaving a very small frame window to escape the ko punch (and at higher percents it's a true combo); 2) a hit confirm on shield or normal hit confirm will make sure you're in range of ko punch; 3) 'counter-stuff' any stuff attempts and potentially mess up the opponent's timing to open for ko punch. back to the match, vs yoshi, it's possible it wouldn't have helped in that situation because he was mashing jabs so after mac's jab1 yoshi's frame 3? nair might have come out to mess the ko up anyway. still i think it's a safer option to jab confirm>ko.

generally, i liked your use of jab>upB, imo one of mac's best kill confirms -- just make sure you hit confirm lol. i saw sometimes you were going for it when the opponent was still in shield and got punished for it. :) re how to use dance trotting, i would say try this: any time you feel like rolling backwards, you could instead mix-up with a dance trot in the same direction you would have back rolled and it will often throw off the opponent's sense of timing since it looks like a back roll but actually allows you to punish things a lot earlier than if you back rolled. shameless plug, here's some examples from *groan* for glory of how i use them (youtube timestamp isn't working for some reason... skip to 2:35). try that 'back roll mentality' and see if it works for you.

overall great stuff man, keep up the good work!

Last edited:

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Just a super quick side note, have only watched the first minute or so of the match, but when you were on the top T&C platform and the ness DJ Up-Aired you, if you used Up B OoS it would've killed him at the percent he was at. A really dangerous bait against aggressive players is to, once they're at ~60, go to the top platform and shield, waiting for them to challenge it. When they do, Up B or Up Smash OoS, and enjoy your 60% kill.

Laitome

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-0929-1203
good work man. btw, just want to say, if you guys find my critique/analysis annoying or not helpful, let me know that you guys don't care to hear my input on these tourney matches (because i honestly don't go to tourneys due to work and taking care of my baby). i won't be offended -- i'm trying to help, but if i'm really not helping i don't want to be that guy.
Don't worry you're not that guy thanks for the critique!

anyway, good stuff against ness. i agree, good option coverage with the rapid jab at the ledge, unfortunately he did the ledge drop version of jump and airdodged through allowing for a free punish. i honestly thought you were going to style on him a couple times with countering pk2 off-stage lol. obviously safer to try punish with dsmash on ledge, and your timing was on-point so good job. (as a side note, this is theorycrafting, i'm wondering whether the mac meta would benefit with learning to hit with the backside of mac's dsmash so there's less of a punishable window if he misses. when you whiff the front hit of dsmash on a 2-frame-vulnerability-ledgegrab attempt, mac still has a lot of frames of the back hit to eat through before the first actionable frame. if macs start timing the ledgegrab vulnerability by the back hit, he will have less endlag frames to worry about.)
Hmmm. Hitting with the backside and hitting with the front side are two different timings by 7 frames. While yes if I go for the backside it is much safer it is also nearly impossible to time since you would have to hit it 7 frames earlier, 7 frames that could be used to compensate for reaction time. You have to keep in mind that some recoveries don't even take 17 frames before they hit the ledge and reacting alone takes 12 frames unless you really are just reading it. The front hit on the other hand comes out on frame 10 and while it may not seem like much of a difference, only 7 frames, that is the difference between landing it on reaction vs. hard read. Being able to release the downsmash on reaction is already very difficult but not impossible however every moment of human processing power is vital, and if I have 7 less frames to react to it, then I lose what is essentially 3/4ths of my processing power and lose alot of accuracy on what is already a very minuscule target. In short yes it is possible, yes it is safer, but no it is not practical unless you are a super-AI in human form, if that is the case let me borrow your time machine. If anyone needs a better analogy let me know.

also, for the same reason that your ko punch got stuffed by yoshi's jabs after your awesome read on the b-reverse egg lay,
hm. you may be right on the jab thing although looking back at the match it seems to be that he hit me during the spot-dodge recovery rather than the K.O. punch startup.

Just a super quick side note, have only watched the first minute or so of the match, but when you were on the top T&C platform and the ness DJ Up-Aired you, if you used Up B OoS it would've killed him at the percent he was at. A really dangerous bait against aggressive players is to, once they're at ~60, go to the top platform and shield, waiting for them to challenge it. When they do, Up B or Up Smash OoS, and enjoy your 60% kill.
Maybe I could've? t&c has a low ceiling but we were both at very low percents and up b only has okay base knockback so I don't think it would've killed. If I whiffed then I could've gotten hard punished and then it would be me dying below 60% and I'm not the type to take that big of a risk.

Last edited:

Splash Damage

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Grab_N_Go
Maybe I could've? t&c has a low ceiling but we were both at very low percents and up b only has okay base knockback so I don't think it would've killed. If I whiffed then I could've gotten hard punished and then it would be me dying below 60% and I'm not the type to take that big of a risk.
I've tested and used this a lot in tournament, that would have certainly killed Ness at that height w/slight rage&T&C's blastzones. I'll double check later and edit this with exact %s, but I'm very confident in my claim. Also, the risk is definitely there, but at the percent you were at there was nothing Ness could do to kill, even on the top platform(Maybe PKthunder into you, but I don't think he'd have the presence of mind to do something that crazy on reaction). Additionally, Mac's fall speed is deceptive, so if you FF the special fall, you can get to the ground and put that shield up much quicker than you(and certainly your opponent) would expect. Not the safest/best option, but a rewarding one. That said, if you're not a risk taker and mostly play safe, patient Mac, then I'd understand not using this.

Last edited:

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
alphicans' fundamentals are absolutely on point. i haven't seen recent vids of him so this was a nice surprise. good looking out dezmu. on that last stock i really liked his in-advantage movement -- followed up an ftilt with a 'tech chase' dair autocanceled into reverse ftilt, that was cute. and then shortly thereafter fastfalling from the platform and ftilting, just looked really precise. very little 'flash' in his play -- i didn't see any dance trotting, saw like one perfect pivot while waiting for ninjalink to come back, but 'flash' just for the sake of flash will kill mac, so good on him. awesome to see alphicans still rep mac nation.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
double post, less than 24 hours. [infracted]

there's a major national happening in mexico right now, and there's a little mac named 'choto' doing damage. here's a great example of why smashville is a terrible stage for mac, and chota shows the optimal way to play against the jankest way to play against mac on the stage:

amazing patience. good mixups. good way to make sure he was always close to the percent lead. lots of good things to take away from this terrible, terrible match.

here's chota later in top 8 taking on a sheik. his hit confirm game is on-point. great fundamentals, has a lot of potential once he learns to also use dance trotting, perfect pivots, and jab>KO/upB kill confirms:

Last edited:

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Man i forgot how satisfying it is to play Mac. getting back to my main squeeze,played some for glory to refresh a bit,and maybe kill some habits.

I probably shouldn't be jumping too much against Samus,but,i didn't want my shield destroyed by her ._.

Never seen that happen before. Ganon must have grabbed me right when i let that punch Fly.

Solreth

Smash Apprentice
windbox glitch thats been around for ages, did it to a sheik after vanish once off of my ko punch.

EIS_Duon

Smash Cadet
NNID
mas0nDrul3eskii
Hey guys, here is a match I played on the weekend at my monthly. Funny enough, it was against Earl, a man drowning in Little Mac knowledge. I think I held my own for game 1 but then sort of collapsed afterwards (my first top 3 placing, had some nerves)
Asking for criticism and advice heading forward (excuse the for glory side B off the stage. Was trying to Up B LOL)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgbSBIzXmkE

Also if anyone has any advice on the R&L matchup, I'd love to hear some. Picking up a secondary for her, but Id really like to beat that *****

Here is a match I played against someone who doesnt even play the character and I still cant seem to deal with her. Looking back on it, I fell for her camp game even though I was up a massive amount of %

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpWHR2VtiL8 (i apologise for the ****ty sound, just mute the video, no interesting commentary whatsoever)

Last edited:
Top Bottom