• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers: Official Character Discussion

Ulevo

Smash Master
Discussion for Ice Climbers. Anyone can suggest anything for any of these topics, and it'll be noted. Popular suggestions/values will be marked as such. Final values will be determined by popularity, so voice your opinion!

Suggested Offensive Modifications:

Suggested Defensive Modifications:

Default Physics:
SH:
FH:
FF:
DGrav:
Grav:

Physics Changes:

Specific Move Fixes:

Anything else:

The Cape

Smash Master
The obvious:

Find a way to buff their smashes, aerials, and or tilts and remove their infinite grab game.

Ulevo

Smash Master
The obvious:

Find a way to buff their smashes, aerials, and or tilts and remove their infinite grab game.
I do not see the reason to constitute this at all. Currently I believe it is assumed the Ice Climbers are a very viable character, and the infinite poses little problem competitively speaking, especially now that it has been nerfed even further due to the mechanical changes from vBrawl. I've continuously outlined this, and it has been extensively ignored.

If someone could either please outline a logical reason(s) on:

A) Why the infinite is broken, or presents potentially threat to the games competitive status
B) Why the character currently needs improvement

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
iv been saying it for a while and im glad to finally see someone back here (cape) agree with me. enhance them in other areas and take out the infinite. at chibofest 3 a couple days ago i got to play with a vBrawl ICs main for a few hours (hes played it before but this was the first time i got to get a lot of quality playtime in with him in B+) and he himself said that they should be removed. he had a lot of good reasons why and input for ICs in brawl+ so il get him to type it up and il paste it here for him when he does.

The Cape

Smash Master
Spoke to an ICers player and got this guidance:

Make it so Nana cannot regrab after Popo for X number of frames.

Make fair come out faster (and winddown faster)

Give Nair more KB.

Getting rid of throw to throw infinite is a MUST.

Also, the character isnt bad in Brawl+ at all.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I refuse to even consider removing infinites until a logical justification is made. So far, none of you have any. I could easily ask Ambrose, a high level Ice Climbers main, what he thinks about the infinites. I guarantee you wouldn't like the answer.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
While looking through all changes so far I see that Pika's dthrow is slowed to eliminate cg's (I'm assuming). So why did we get rid of Pikas, DDDs, and Falcos, all which were not infinites and devestating, and we refuse to get rid of ICs????? Look at DDD. He lost his CG. He got worse. We buffed him in other ways. Now hes good again. Why can't this happen to ICs.

Asking ICs main is not the answer I believe. There could be a load of bias. What if we said, hey person, your character has an awesome infinite! should we remove it?
However I've asked Bnzaaa, a ICs main in my crew from PA and he thinks they should be taken out.

shanus

Smash Hero
CHibo, its not just a matter of taking them out, first its figuring out how to do it without hurting their other options as a character and possibly enhancing them as a haracter to compensate

We need to preserve their crazy desyncing chaingrab game while removing the infinite. If we can do leafs suggestion of a frame delay on nana's grab startup lag maybe thatll do the trick

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^That would get rid of their chaingrabs though. Hobbling doesn't work anymore because you can tech footstools, and the only chaingrab left is the throw->fair chainthrow which stops working at like 30%.

We need a better fix than that.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
But isn't popo the one doing the throwing in that case? Plus, we can buff them to create new chainthrows (ie. blizzard stuff, weakening nana's fair so that the throw -> fair chain throw went on for longer, etc).

My suggestion was that nana couldn't execute a grab for up to "x" frames from when popo executes a throw. It would just be enough to stop the infinite, but wouldn't ruin anything else they have.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
the infinite required nana to grab right when popo throws. its so fast that just making it so she can't grab only a handfull of frames after popo throws wont mess anything else up guaranteed. like 10-20 frames i would guess.

any other normal cg requires the opponent to be thrown and then re-grabbed during hitstun, all which takes time. u guys know how fast nana regrabs for the infinite. the timing is completely different.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
After talking to some Ice Climbers players and working a bit with the Cape I got a few ideas. I would really like all of your opinions on these so we have an idea of what to do if we do rebuilding the ICs. This is for changes that should be made to the Ice climbers if the infinites are to be removed.

Blizzard needs a few changes:
-Tone down KBG. I do not know what percentage it should start freezing at but an IC player said that we should make it start freezing Snake at about 120-130%
-Trajectory on its hits need to be changed from angle 70 to 240. Why? This makes it harder to DI away by pulling them down and towards the Ice Climbers. This will make it more effective in chaingrabbing.
-Lower the winddown of the move

Squall:
-Lower BKB and KBG on Nana's solo squall.
-Lower KBG and increase damage on Popo's solo squall.
-Lower the windown of the move.

Nair:
-Raise BKB on Popo's nair, makes it useful for getting the opponent away from you.
-Lower BKB (and possibly KBG) on Nana's nair. Maybe change the trajectory as well. Make it comboable and useful for chainthrows.

Upair:
-Slight lower BKB, raise KBG. Keeps combos at low percentages while making it a slightly better move at higher %s.

Downsmash:
-Lower trajectory

Ice blocks:
-Do more damage, possibly around 10%
or
-Causes trip instead of ice effect, makes it more helpful for getting grabs.

Jab:
-Faster winddown on single jab. Helps them get grabs better.

Hold jab:
-Add ice effect, this has no effect on gameplay as far as I can tell. But I have been told by a few people that I should at least request this.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Upair:
-Slight lower KBG, raise KBG. Keeps combos at low percentages while making it a slightly better move at higher %s.
I assume you mean slightly lower base?

Ice blocks:
-Do more damage, possibly around 10%
I don't like the slip idea. For this, though... I think they do about 1 or 2% each right now, right? I say make them do 5% each, for a 10% total. Getting 20% because you were hit by both ice blocks would be really stupid >_>

Could also add editing the nana fair spike to make it slightly more chainthrow friendly.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Oops my mistake.

Right now the ice blocks do 5% each according to the hitbox data. I'll test out fair stuff soon.
Huh? That's weird. I remember them degrading down to 0% damage in vb when you did the ice block lock. Considering a move can only go down to 46% of its original damage and knockback, I don't see how it's possible for them to do more than 1 or 2%.

shanus

Smash Hero
I love the ice block slip idea. Do they have 2 or one hitboxes on it? Itd be cool if when they are hit close with it they slip, but far away they do nothing

Team Giza

Smash Lord
As far as I could tell the blocks only had one hitbox.

Considering a move can only go down to 46% of its original damage and knockback, I don't see how it's possible for them to do more than 1 or 2%.
I'll look into it again. Sometimes the attacks do not do the same as it shows in the hitbox data. Which sometimes means its impossible to change. :(

edit: or Im an idiot and was looking at the data wrong!

Revven

FrankerZ
Alright guys, bad news.

Nana is not affected by any of our gameplay changes, except for ones that affect the character itself (i.e ALR I think, might need to double check on that).

Basically, I tried ICs out to try out their changes and when I would DD, Nana couldn't, she would try to DD like you would in vBrawl. Thus, desyncing the climbers and basically making you a royally ****ed ICs player, meaning you can NEVER DD if you don't want a desync to happen so easily and out of your control.

Next, hitstun doesn't affect her. She'll momentum cancel like you would in vBrawl, this puts her in a BAD situation and basically ****s you up completely. No wonder Meep said Climbers suck in comparison to vBrawl. Because Nana isn't affected by hitstun or DD.

Nor is she affected by teching. Her window is the same as vBrawl, which means she is easily hit while you teched and... that's bad.

Not sure if she is affected by shieldstun or not but, if she isn't, that's kinda beneficial but again, desync like crazy. Basically, she's like a WiFi opponent right now and that's TERRIBAD.

I think I had mentioned this even MONTHS ago hearing it from someone else but, I dismissed it. But, after trying it for myself right now, she desyncs like a mother ****er and we need to fix this ASAP. Look at the other things I didn't try if I didn't mention them.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea i played ICs for the first time in a while today and noticed everything that falco just mentioned. its sort of a big problem

Team Giza

Smash Lord
We need to change up the ice climber infinite remover code. It needs to include dashing grabs and possibly pivot grab and not just standing grabs. From what I can tell by playing with the code on you can still use dashing grabs to perform infinites.

shanus

Smash Hero
Also needs to be switched to prevent alt throws from nana to popo and not prevent popo to nana.

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
So I played brawl+ with my friend two days ago with the latest version. The infinite is still there. I'd hope you guys can get rid of it. It makes matchups pretty bad for alot of icy's opponents besides like...Snake lol.

Revven

FrankerZ
So I played brawl+ with my friend two days ago with the latest version. The infinite is still there. I'd hope you guys can get rid of it. It makes matchups pretty bad for alot of icy's opponents besides like...Snake lol.
We're still working on it, it's tricky.

shanus

Smash Hero
KarateF22: yo
[6:07pm] shanus: sup
[6:08pm] KarateF22: i found a chaingrab with the ice climbers that, believe it or not, is only possible because of the chaingrab fix
[6:08pm] shanus: inf?
[6:09pm] KarateF22: forward throw to pivot grab with nana grab-releases the opponent TOWARDS popo
[6:09pm] KarateF22: instead of away
[6:09pm] KarateF22: then you grab and repeat
[6:09pm] shanus: oh wow
[6:09pm] shanus: neat
[6:09pm] KarateF22: i believe its an infinite
[6:09pm] KarateF22: with very tough timing, but an infinite nonetheless

The Cape

Smash Master
Something we could do is restrict Nana's ability to throw any direction but up. Or possibly make it so that grab cannot be one of her next two actions or so?

D

Deleted member

I could just tweak it so it doesn't release but maybe jab the opponent or whatever.

we have the right moment, we just need to figure out wht to do with it.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
these are just some notes; they don't need to addressed until after the 6 month period:

Larger Grab Range:
With the loss of nana's grab it only makes sense that popo's grab range should be increased to compensate.​

Throws:

Dthrow:
As this move stands right now it is waaaaaay too easy for the opponent to DI it. Right now the only way that it can even serve a purpose is if the person being thrown has 0 DI. In a real match this is unrealistic by a long shot. This throw serves as a major setup (dthrow -> dash -> buffered utilt -> utilt -> uair -> ???). however, it does not set up for a kill move like jiggs' (uthrow -> rest). When i get a grab i should actually be allowed to do something with it inside of hoping that they don't just hold away and avoid any of my followups. of all of the changes noted, this is the one that i feel must get in.​

Uthrow:
Beign an incredibly grab-centered character, IC's need to be able to use every tool in their depressing arsenal. Even in vbrawl, uthrow was useless due to its knockback/inability to combo into anything. To add viability to this move (and their grab game all together), it needs lower knockback growth so that at lower percents it won't send people as far so you can combo, but as they get higher it send them much farther.​

Fthrow:
ICs have lost their CGs. As such, the original angles/knockback for their throws don't translate in the same way to B+. Instead of being used as a setup for a CG, it now needs an alternative use, mainly setting up for combos. To accomplish this, the fthrow needs some adjustments, mainly a lower angle/base knockback. A lower angle forces the opponent to the ground and then lead into follow ups, while adjusting the base knockback means the enemy will be set up in front of the ICs unless they DI/tech roll to escape. This fits perfectly into their trap/punish playstyle.​

Bthrow:
Similar to Fthrow, Bthrow no longer serves the purpose of CGing with its transition to melee. Giving it a lower angle (but maintaining knockback) allow it to be a great setup for a bair/nair follow up. as it is now, the angle makes following up unrewarding and unnecessarily difficult. A lower angle adds to their lacking grab game.​

Squall Hammer:
As a combo move, this attack is an amazing setup to just about anything. the downside is that when trying to recover, it gets out prioritized by just about everything (mario's bair will go through it ;_; ). I don't know if this was an unintended nerf on the attack, but it forces the ICs to go for the ledge with their tether more so than they really should (easy nana gimps from ledge hogging). Coupled with the new nana properties to avoid the fusion glitch, this attack is now very easy to gimp/out prioritize.

i do, however, understand that it is a fantastic attack on stage for setting up follow ups, so i supposed the lower priority/range is a fair trade off, i just think that it should be looked at again to make it function better for recovering.

As an addition to this idea, i'd like to bring up a major complaint, mainly that solo squall is just god awful. I feel 100% that the move should be bad and entirely punishable, but its transition from vbrawl did not come as well as others. As with the synced squall, the range/priority is just awful, even for a bad move. I do, however, feel that it should keep this aspect, but be compensated in other areas, such as the speed to the animation and how fast nana can react out of hers. As with blizzard, allowing nana to have IASA frames out of her solo squall to help with punishment (which ICs need a LOT of help with) as well as boost their desync game even more. As for popo's solo squall, the speed boost should be enough (i'd need to see how it worked in game).​

Blizzard:
Right now, this attack is pretty much useless on hit. in my testing i've found that a person can simply take the blizzard and then attack directly out of the end lag due to its low hitstun (literally, you can tank a double blizzard and are able to attack out of it before the IC's end lag finishes). This is a difficult attack to manage, as i really do like the addition of the "pull" effect in B+. An idea i had is give nana IASA frames as soon as the last blizzard hitbox ends (similar to her grab animation, but she still does the blizzard). This serves the purpose of actually using the blizzard as a lead into a desync, as well as increasing the overall speed of their gameplay.​

Sliding:
The entire core of IC playstyle in vBrawl is that they punish. hard. When transitioning to B+ they are pushed to a more aggressive playstyle, which would be fine, but almost impossible to deal with most characters due to the decreased end lag. luigi may suffer from terrible traction, but his aerial mobility/combo make up for this fact by allowing him to function amazingly in the air. ICs, on the other hand, are a primarily ground-based character (hence the much lower shorthop height). Because of this fact, the small traction does not suit them as a character. if they are supposed to be stellar at ground control, then it doesn't make much sense for them to slide everywhere when they shield attacks/get hit. if i shield ike's fsmash from the middle of PS2, i shouldn't be moved almost to the ledge. higher traction plays into their game heavily. without it, they're low mid tier at best.​

right now, other than these few notes i don't think they need any other drastic tweaks to their moveset. Again, these don't have to be addressed until after the 6 month period, i'm just noting them now because they're on my mind as necessary/potential changes.

Top Bottom