• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Buffered F-Throw (NEW!)

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
.cat//tomato said:
Because the videos are down, for now this thread will be closed. If someone wishes to recompile the videos and post a new thread, that's fine. If you've got any questions, feel free to PM me.

Ice Climbers' Buffered F-throw Video

Note
Because smaci92 deleted the old videos, I decided to make a new one.
Anyway, the video quality is okay, so it's not too good or not too bad. In addition I do NOT use a capture card or a dazzle, since they're... pretty expensive; I just use a camera.

Information
This chaingrab is painful to do on a competition (chances are you will mess up), so do this on friendlies. As for its timing and practical uses, it will take a while to practice this. (Use Bowser or Samus as your dummy)
Many characters can be chaingrabbed by this BUT the timing is VERY strict such as to Mario and the Solo Ice Climber. Heavy characters like Bowser and Samus are easy to chaingrab with this when you have mastered the throw.

How to do
To do this, you must grab with Popo and immediately do an f-throw so you won't move. After the throw action (or almost), input another f-throw (so you don't stop throwing) for Nana's grab and throw, and throw again with Popo. You CANNOT stop grabbing or else the buffering will stop, making the ICs move slightly.

Characters that can/cannot be chaingrabbed (Probably in order)

Easy
Samus
Bowser
Zelda
Donkey Kong
Ike
Zero Suit Samus
Ivysaur
King Dedede

Medium
Sheik
Captain Falcon
Mr. Game & Watch
Wario
Snake
Peach
Link
Solo Ice Climber
Mario
Luigi

Hard
Marth
Diddy Kong
Sonic
Kirby.
Olimar
Jigglypuff
Pikachu
Meta Knight
Falco
Pit
Ganondorf
R.O.B.

Very Strict
Fox
Wolf

Cannot
Yoshi
Squirtle
Lucario
Lucas
Ness
Random

Thanks and enjoy the video. Feel free to ask any questions. ^^

Edit...
Characters are moved to other spots.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
LMAO, so you just buffer it fthrow after fthrow after fthrow right, with grabs inbetween?
Yeah. You have to do it fast enough though.

Although if there IS movement involved with the throws, then you'll most likely mess up since you'll miss the grab. (Example: If Nana moves forward and you're behind her, you will miss the grab. She might dash grab too.)

Smoom77

Smash Master
Hey Chibi, this is Poiuy.

Well, one thing I don't understand is why is this so different than a normal f-throw alt. Is it the fact that you're doing it in the same spot and not moving?

And is it just me or is the speed of the grabs fast than a normal f-throw?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Hey Chibi, this is Poiuy.

Well, one thing I don't understand is why is this so different than a normal f-throw alt. Is it the fact that you're doing it in the same spot and not moving?

And is it just me or is the speed of the grabs fast than a normal f-throw?
1) You do not move; simply because the term "buffering", meaning inputting a command before or during (near the end) the move's performance, makes you stay in one place.
2) Does more damage quickly.
3) Flashier than the normal f-throw alt; yes it's faster.
4) More harder to perform than an f-throw alt.

:)

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
1) You do not move; simply because the term "buffering", meaning inputting a command before or during (near the end) the move's performance, makes you stay in one place.
2) Does more damage quickly.
3) Flashier than the normal f-throw alt; yes it's faster.
4)More harder to perform than an f-throw alt.

:)
Lol More Harder. x.X <3 Chibiz.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
This is the only IC infinite that should be banned.
What makes one infinite more broken than the other? It's still just as hard to mess up, if not harder, on this one...

(Yeah, I'm still trying to defend IC for other regions. I haven't had a tourny where their chain grabs weren't banned since either May or June of last year)

Kage Me

Smash Ace
What makes one infinite more broken than the other? It's still just as hard to mess up, if not harder, on this one...
True, but this one is completely stationary. Meaning it can literally be done anywhere, as opposed to the other chaingrabs, which can be evaded by positioning well enough.

Small detail, but it's pretty important.

swordgard

Smash Hero
True, but this one is completely stationary. Meaning it can literally be done anywhere, as opposed to the other chaingrabs, which can be evaded by positioning well enough.

Small detail, but it's pretty important.
Lol whut, you can do all the other chaingrabs in any area, this one is worst cause you cant move if theres nades around.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Lol whut, you can do all the other chaingrabs in any area, this one is worst cause you cant move if theres nades around.
You can't do d-throw on platforms. You can't do a f-throw without buffering on the ledge. You can't use b-throw when on the ledge. They all require some movement, even if only a little.

Stationary chaingrabs should be banned. Otherwise, what's to stop Dedede's standing infinite from being legal?

swordgard

Smash Hero
You can't do d-throw on platforms. You can't do a f-throw without buffering on the ledge. You can't use b-throw when on the ledge. They all require some movement, even if only a little.

Stationary chaingrabs should be banned. Otherwise, what's to stop Dedede's standing infinite from being legal?
1st of all, you cant do this on everyone.

And i can infinite on platforms with different ones, back throw to buffered fthrow anyone?

See, this requires practice. D3s infinite standing grab IS legal and has no reason not to be.

Bring up a good ban criteria, such as overcentralization, then wel talk. Not some half decent omg can be don everywhar ban argument.

Please, ics can already infinite everywhere, this is only just another way which seems unreliable for tourney use. No need for a ban.

Btw, you CAN do dtrow on platforms, just dont push very hard down and you can still do it.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
D3s infinite standing grab IS legal and has no reason not to be.

Bring up a good ban criteria, such as overcentralization, then wel talk. Not some half decent omg can be don everywhar ban argument.
It might be legal in your region, but it shouldn't be. And if Dedede's chaingrab is banned, so should all stationary chaingrabs for the sake of consistency.

swordgard

Smash Hero
It might be legal in your region, but it shouldn't be. And if Dedede's chaingrab is banned, so should all stationary chaingrabs for the sake of consistency.

Lol, it isnt banned in any of the big ECRC tourneys.

There is no reason to ban it, especially since most of em requires 50% or more already to be infinited.

There is no reason to ban the infinite.

Proof:
A) Does d3 place consistantly top 4 taking over 50% of the spot top 16 because of said technique?
No
B) Does D3 alone makes more than half the cast unviable with said technique?
No

Dont fix what aint broken, stop being a scrub.

Also, even if d3s standing would be banned, this would not have too.
The problem with d3s standing is how ridiculously easy it is and he has huge grab range, creating a few very hard matchups. However, this does not even make it even close to banworthy.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Kage, the reason why Dedede's was banned was because the cg was criminally easy compared to the amount of damage it did. The Ice Climbers have to do 3x that kind of effort to put out this same result, if not even more. All of the other Ice Climber CG's can be stationary in any circumstance too but are a lot easier compared to this. Why wouldn't you have argued to ban those but to ban this?

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Lol, it isnt banned in any of the big ECRC tourneys.

There is no reason to ban it, especially since most of em requires 50% or more already to be infinited.

There is no reason to ban the infinite.

Proof:
A) Does d3 place consistantly top 4 taking over 50% of the spot top 16 because of said technique?
No
B) Does D3 alone makes more than half the cast unviable with said technique?
No

Dont fix what aint broken, stop being a scrub.

Also, even if d3s standing would be banned, this would not have too.
The problem with d3s standing is how ridiculously easy it is and he has huge grab range, creating a few very hard matchups. However, this does not even make it even close to banworthy.
Don't bother throwing the name ERCR around, I don't even know what that is. Probably something American. I do know that it's banned at most (if not all) major tournaments in my region, though.

A) Irrelevant. Dedede would place there with or without the technique.
B) No, but it makes five characters unviable to the point of "select Dedede, win match".

Banning it has little negative consequences to Dedede's metagame, and very positive consequences to the five characters it can be used on. Please give me one good reason why "no johns" should be more important than creating more diversity in the metagame?

Kage, the reason why Dedede's was banned was because the cg was criminally easy compared to the amount of damage it did. The Ice Climbers have to do 3x that kind of effort to put out this same result, if not even more. All of the other Ice Climber CG's can be stationary in any circumstance too but are a lot easier compared to this. Why wouldn't you have argued to ban those but to ban this?
Point taken, I stand corrected. Don't ban the buffered f-throw.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Don't bother throwing the name ERCR around, I don't even know what that is. Probably something American. I do know that it's banned at most (if not all) major tournaments in my region, though.

A) Irrelevant. Dedede would place there with or without the technique.
B) No, but it makes five characters unviable to the point of "select Dedede, win match".

Banning it has little negative consequences to Dedede's metagame, and very positive consequences to the five characters it can be used on. Please give me one good reason why "no johns" should be more important than creating more diversity in the metagame?

Point taken, I stand corrected. Don't ban the buffered f-throw.

A) Dont fix what aint broken exactly. We dont ban stuff to make the metagame healthier on a low scale. We only ban stuff that overcentralizes on a big scale.

B) Not really, boss still places in tourneys and plays luigi. Even then, it doesnt overcentralize the game, which is the only valid criteria for a ban. We cant ban stuff to "maximize diversity" on a low scale, or else you should plain outright ban metaknight and snake to make 4 more chars viable! You cant ban 5 chars to make 6 viables, the same situation applies here. No jhons IS more important than making the game healthier, we cant ban every simple thing that we think may damage the metagame. Or else wel be stuck playing a completely different game than what we started with, and we will have to balance every char ourselves.

Example, we banned the infinite cape because it would instantly make any other char but MK unviable.

We didnt ban ics infinite, which, even though they have requirement, are still infinites with very little setup required. They do not overcentralize the game, thus no ban.

Usually, difficulty of said combo is irrelevant because people will learn it unless it is on a level unnattainable by humans.

But seriously, the fact that you dont even know ecrc proves that you must know no much about the game, be informed before arguing. Your region seems to be simply more scrubbish, and therefore arent playing to the max of their metagames and will not improve as fast as they could. If we dont let such infinites into play, we dont allow a counter to be found. Notice d3 needs to do a headbash in between 2 grabs for most of his infinites to work and thus shouldnt work in early percent, which is when good players will capitalize agaisnt d3s.

Top Bottom