• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice climber techniques.... i guess

swordgard

Smash Hero
Hey guys, this is swordgard, you dont see me post here often because for a long time i had a bad prejudice about these boards. Anyways, someone convinced me to give it another try....

But before starting, let me restate it one last time, hobbling is not infinite, stop using it or your whole grab game wont work vs people who know how to get out. I just made a replay proof, too lazy to get it onto the computer XD .

So im gonna post on everything you guys have been missing.So lets start with all of these desynchs that i found.

Remember that super grab desynch that was super hard to do because it required to be standing and pivot and stuff? Well heres what you can actually do with it. Heres my list of speed desynchs that i have derived from it. Those are speed desynchs because you can do them out of a run.

First, run towards the opponent, then shield, then just before the shield goes off, hold the other way and this will make you pivot automatically. Then press forward again and as you do it press and hold Z for a second. There you go, you just performed a running supergrab!
Technique discovered by me and kawaii bunny(cant claim it since she uses it too XD )

Now 2nd one, do the same thing, but instead of pressing Z, use down b..... well you performed a desynched blizz out of a run. So yeah, i think you get the idea. Notice that this is way easier by using bstick and pressing down on it, nana will blizz and popo will do a small jump, which you can blizz out of too!

The surprise nana attack.... can be done only with cstick so far. This is done by retreating backward, then using the shield, then pivot (dont go back to the dash part, stop at the pivot) and then pressing down on cstick, nana will turn around and do a surprise dash attack while popo downsmashes. Fun part is this dash attack can be cancelled into a grab ^.^ .

The edgeguard desynch. Everyone has probably seen how you can edgeguard with nana on the ledge and popo up there and you can do fair/fsmash and it looks super good. It seems however very hard to setup with very little time. I found a solution to this involving.... yeah you guessed it, pivot out of shield, slightly different this time around though. Run towards the ledge, shield, now let go of shield and just before it ends press the other way around. Instead of pivot, popo and nana should run, this is how you know if you got the right timing. It still has to be buffered though. If you roll, your doing it too soon, same for pivot. Now, just after you press run and let go (you let go approximatly as shield goes off) you cancel it with an ice block. Popo will run forward, nana will do an iceblock instead of run and will be pushed back onto the ledge due to the momentum of the initial dash canceled with shield. Did i mention you can also use this not near the ledge to desynch while retreating?

Also, the nado.... considering nobody seems to understand how it works i shall explain then.

The tornado does not work like other attacks, its multiple hitboxes dont last. They hit for 1-2-3 frames then disappear. But once they cancell something, they cannot cancel a 2nd attack, therefore it leaves a huge blind spot in it. This means that if someone was to attack twice in a very low ammount of time and nado would cancel the first hit, the 2nd would go through. Nado also has a certain threshold of priority it can cancel, therefore some attacks(say DKs ftilt) can go directly through. And projectiles that use intrinsic priority no matter what will go through. Also, any attack which has varying duration(smashes, tornado and anything else you can think of, not the case for ics side B because duration doesnt vary, only movement does), if you get hit when you are using those attacks, you will suffer 50% more knockback. Usefull to know.

Now what this means in other words.... well everyone knows blizz goes through because it uses intrinsic priority. But also, that means that if someone is recovering from slightly above, the upsmash will go through if its slightly charged due to getting above the priority threshold it can stop. And if its isnt charged, it will still go through due to the 2nd upsmash because even if the tornado cancels the 1st one, the hitbox wont be there anymore to cancel the 2nd... and mk gets upsmashed with more knockback ^.^ This mean you can now easily edgeguard/kill MKs using nado. Same goes for fsmash im pretty sure of it.

Also, that means that most of ics aerials/tilts/anything will go through. Did you know a nair can go through nado... Yes it can, i did it to hateoni yesterday and he went O.o

Also, stop abusing upsmash, use more reverse fsmash, its 2 good.

Il probably post vids of these sometimes around if im not too lazy. I claim to have found most of these. But hey i may be wrong.

meepxzero

Smash Master
interesting to know.... I know that you can fsmash through the tornado kinda like how ddd can utilt them outta it. You just have to space and know when to do it. Didnt know usmash worked.

yah i agree some people on the boards are nieve. you just get use to it. thats why i barely share any ice climber info anymore.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Lol, I know hella stuff that I haven't even shared yet. >_>;

That shield cancel desynch was one of them and me and swordgard talked about it in the AiB chat.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Yeah maybe someday il have to update this XD I just had to go eat halfway through and posted.

Teh Future

Smash Master
I dont see why you are so against hobbling. I agree that using it by itself is really dumb, but against heavy characters I will use fthrowdthrow and bthrow hobble to turn around. If you use it once in between other throws I dont see how people can DI out of it unless you are dumb and do it near the ledge.

swordgard

Smash Hero
I dont see why you are so against hobbling. I agree that using it by itself is really dumb, but against heavy characters I will use fthrowdthrow and bthrow hobble to turn around. If you use it once in between other throws I dont see how people can DI out of it unless you are dumb and do it near the ledge.

Ok, so you go to backthrow me to turn around....oh wait?!??!?!? i SDI in front of you again and farther than where you started. So you walk forward a bit, redo... surprise! i do it again and im even closer to the ledge, now you try one last time, and prepare to hobble, i SDI off the ledge and out of CG.... or i could just SDI the other way very far, making you do a runnning grab desynched with nana, which means you have to wait for her, which means i can grab break. Now, if you feel like giving me free chances out of grabs, thats your choice ;)

Teh Future

Smash Master
If someone SDI'd in front of me when I tried to hobble then I would stop, since there would be no point. I dont know how else to turn around a heavyweight though. not to mention I have yet to even see someone do something like that, let alone have someone do it against me. I honestly dont think you can sdi 1 ice block far enough to make much of a difference. If they go in front of me I can probably just roll behind them and grab then its in the opposite direction anyways.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
I think what hes saying is that since the Nados hitboxes can only clank with one other hitbox, than most of the ICs moves (smashs, aerials etc) can get through because they have two hitboxes one for Popo and one for Nana. The Nados hitbox would clank with the first ICs attack and but then theres a blind spot for the second IC to hit through because the Nados hitbox cant clank with another hitbox.
Thats actually a really good discovery. Cant wait to try it.

Cold Fusion

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ JIGGLYPUFF OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
If they go in front of me I can probably just roll behind them and grab then its in the opposite direction anyways.
I'm pretty sure that doesn't work. I have tried it myself and I couldn't get it to work.

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
Good stuff Swordgard :).

Reverse F-Smash is too good. F-Smash is generally faster than Up-Smash and the hitbox above them/slightly behind them has as much power as a spaced F-Smash. I use it most of the time knowing that my spacing for F-Smash is poor otherwise. Also people get confused on which way to DI when I do it because they don't expect to fly backward.

By the way, I'll continue to use Hobbling until my opponents figure out how to get out of it :laugh:.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
Hey, these are some pretty sweet ATs dude. Imma have a shot at them asap, especially the tornado outpriority moves and the desynced blizzard from run. =D

chewyy

Smash Ace
First, run towards the opponent, then shield, then just before the shield goes off, hold the other way and this will make you pivot automatically. Then press forward again and as you do it press and hold Z for a second. There you go, you just performed a running supergrab!
Technique discovered by me and kawaii bunny(cant claim it since she uses it too XD )

Now 2nd one, do the same thing, but instead of pressing Z, use down b..... well you performed a desynched blizz out of a run. So yeah, i think you get the idea. Notice that this is way easier by using bstick and pressing down on it, nana will blizz and popo will do a small jump, which you can blizz out of too!
smells like the same mechanic?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqDnr-_YZ_I#t=1m32

Top Bottom