• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Will Believe In Myself: Miles "Tails" Prower Support Thread

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
When I think of all the fans that voted for Geno and Isaac, I just think of the hardcore Smash fans because of them being obscure characters. Tails on the other hand is a gaming icon and is the 2nd most iconic co-protagonist in gaming after Luigi.

I don't get why some people think all the votes in the Smash Ballot just came directly only from Smashboards, the Smash sub-reddit, and other big Smash community sites on the Internet. There was votes from everybody around the world, and a lot of votes probably came from casual gamers, so people shouldn't think all the votes only came from fans from all the big Smash fan sites.

I remember IGN was campaigning for Tails during the Smash Ballot. That could be the reason he got the Mii costume back in Smash 4 because he got a lot of votes. I believe we will see Tails in Ultimate as one of the DLC characters because of these reasons.
Wasn't Just IGN Either,
ScrewAttack and WatchMojo also has Tails
as a Newcomer!
Tails was a Hit with Big Names.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
(Speaks Like The Doctor from Doctor Who)

Alrighty, so, how about this...

#Tails'FinalStandForDLC

Because, for over 11 years, this will be the best chance Tails has to being a character, trust me, I've had my foot in Smash Melee, I know the way this works, Eggman is most likely a Boss, good, fun, new and better, it helps are chances, Shadow and Knuckles are Assist and if we believe, the Spirits of everything and everyone dosen't stop him...he's solid, not lock, but Solid.
Maybe not with punctuation. #TailsFinalStandForDLC Idk if that looks better.

And yeah, I've been following Smash since 64, I know it's basically now or never, pretty much for any character I personally want. The future will be new franchises and Mario enemies -_- (plus Pokemon and Fire Emblem reps no one want...)

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't trying to discourage a campaign. Go on ahead and give it a try if you're passionate about it.

We just need to remember what happened last time with DLC where the Smash 4 ballot campaigns didn't quite matter until this game. And from reports, the DLC may have long been chosen. Possibly not long after the base roster was decided. Because notice how Sakurai explicitly mentioned Rex didn't make it. If there's a 2nd fighter pass season, then maybe. But for now I feel like we can only hope Tails pulls off a miracle and manages to be one of the 5.
Bayo was influenced by the Ballot, if only by early results of it. It's not like Sakurai pays no attention to fan demand whatsoever... Though, if he wants to put in something stupid like Piranha Plants, he also does it regardless of fan desires, so yeah...

When I think of all the fans that voted for Geno and Isaac, I just think of the hardcore Smash fans because of them being obscure characters. Tails on the other hand is a gaming icon and is the 2nd most iconic co-protagonist in gaming after Luigi.

I don't get why some people think all the votes in the Smash Ballot just came directly only from Smashboards, the Smash sub-reddit, and other big Smash community sites on the Internet. There was votes from everybody around the world, and a lot of votes probably came from casual gamers, so people shouldn't think all the votes only came from fans from all the big Smash fan sites.
Yeah, I was never on Smashboards or any sites like that back in the Smash 4 days, and I still voted (for Tails, specifically). My voice was never heard in those fan polls that were taken to guage what the results were. You gotta figure, I'm not the only one.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Maybe not with punctuation. #TailsFinalStandForDLC Idk if that looks better.

And yeah, I've been following Smash since 64, I know it's basically now or never, pretty much for any character I personally want. The future will be new franchises and Mario enemies -_- (plus Pokemon and Fire Emblem reps no one want...)

Bayo was influenced by the Ballot, if only by early results of it. It's not like Sakurai pays no attention to fan demand whatsoever... Though, if he wants to put in something stupid like Piranha Plants, he also does it regardless of fan desires, so yeah...

Yeah, I was never on Smashboards or any sites like that back in the Smash 4 days, and I still voted (for Tails, specifically). My voice was never heard in those fan polls that were taken to guage what the results were. You gotta figure, I'm not the only one.
I’m still down for Sceptile personally. Gen 5 and 3 are the only gens not repped yet, and we still need that fully evolved grass starter. Plus I KNOW he did well on the ballot. By that logic it’s either him or Serperior. Sorry got a little side tracked there.

I agree, there’s actually a lot of weird things going in his favor for dlc this time around. It’s do or die, and Tails has a bright future ahead of him. Not going to get my hopes up, but I don’t think it’s time to give up.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Shadow supporter here. I haven't given up on him, however low his chances are. However I'd like to say that my support for Tails has increased now, because I just want a new Sonic character at this rate.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Shadow supporter here. I haven't given up on him, however low his chances are. However I'd like to say that my support for Tails has increased now, because I just want a new Sonic character at this rate.
It seems there are still some bad apples lurking around trying to bring down any character they can just because they didn't get what they want, yet your support and, even you here now is amazing, thank you. Its, refreshing.

I hope for Unity, we all do, it's the miracle that comes once a year, but, sometimes people just want to make people feel bad, and sometimes, you just have to lay down the facts and put them in there place. Anyway, sidetracked too long, sorry, hmm, was I saying? Oh yea.

Looks like my Twitter post for the campaign is doing surprisingly well, a good amount of people have even Retweeted it to spread the word, so, why don't we keep spreading that word.

Now, I need a GhostStorm...

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
It seems there are still some bad apples lurking around trying to bring down any character they can just because they didn't get what they want, yet your support and, even you here now is amazing, thank you. Its, refreshing.

I hope for Unity, we all do, it's the miracle that comes once a year, but, sometimes people just want to make people feel bad, and sometimes, you just have to lay down the facts and put them in there place. Anyway, sidetracked too long, sorry, hmm, was I saying? Oh yea.

Looks like my Twitter post for the campaign is doing surprisingly well, a good amount of people have even Retweeted it to spread the word, so, why don't we keep spreading that word.

Now, I need a GhostStorm...
I'd like to help out, too, but I'm not on Twitter ^^; (or Facebook, or Tumblr, or Instagram...barely on Discord...) The sites I am on, err... I won't send anyone there due to the SFW nature of this site >.>; But maybe I can make a few journals now & then sharing any meaningful links such as your tweets, idk.
I'm just tired of sitting on the sidelines, watching Tails miss the battle again and again... It's why I'm here in the first place!

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Alright fellow Tails supporters it's to make this image a reality for Smash Ultimate!

I find it inexcusable that SF and Castlevania can get two reps, but Sonic is still stuck with himself. Never forget the amount of support Sega has given to Nintendo over the past decade.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
I feel like Tails is pretty much in a Bandana Dee situation right now. Basically if it happens, (it being the franchise getting another character) he's in.

It might be more complicated then Bandana Dee's case since Tails is 3rd party. But with Shadow not even playable. The only real question we really have to face is if Sonic will even get another rep with possibly only 4 DLC spots (With one already set to be the 2nd Square Enix character, and possibly down to 3 if Steve comes in). I feel like if a 2nd Season of Fighter Pass happens, Tails may be a near guarantee. But for now this Fighter pack may very well be a game of 3rd Party musical chairs.

Square Enix has already got one of the 5 chairs pretty much. This leaves 4 chairs for Sega, Namco, Capcom, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda, etc. and we also can't dismiss the possibility of a 1st party character taking a spot either. And even if Sega grabs a chair, while I still think Tails is the most likely. There is the possibility they vouch for Arle from Puyo Puyo or an ATLUS character. I do feel again that the Mii costume should give him a leg up on those characters but we should be wary of it anyway. At least we probably wouldn't have to worry about another Bayonetta character. Since the Jeanne colored alt is still in Bayonetta's alt. costumes.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Tails is pretty much in a Bandana Dee situation right now. Basically if it happens, (it being the franchise getting another character) he's in.

It might be more complicated then Bandana Dee's case since Tails is 3rd party. But with Shadow not even playable. The only real question we really have to face is if Sonic will even get another rep with possibly only 4 DLC spots (With one already set to be the 2nd Square Enix character, and possibly down to 3 if Steve comes in). I feel like if a 2nd Season of Fighter Pass happens, Tails may be a near guarantee. But for now this Fighter pack may very well be a game of 3rd Party musical chairs.

Square Enix has already got one of the 5 chairs pretty much. This leaves 4 chairs for Sega, Namco, Capcom, Microsoft, Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda, etc. and we also can't dismiss the possibility of a 1st party character taking a spot either. And even if Sega grabs a chair, while I still think Tails is the most likely. There is the possibility they vouch for Arle from Puyo Puyo or an ATLUS character. I do feel again that the Mii costume should give him a leg up on those characters but we should be wary of it anyway. At least we probably wouldn't have to worry about another Bayonetta character. Since the Jeanne colored alt is still in Bayonetta's alt. costumes.
Well, it's not like Jeanne could be a unique character anyway so Bayonetta is not really anything to worry about.

I feel like SEGA would want to support Tails more than Arle or anyone from ATLUS, remember that Sonic is their flagship series. They just released a game titled SEGA Heroes and it didn't have anyone from Puyo Puyo or ATLUS, and that game has Golden Axe and Phantasy Star Online characters, I feel like if they were going to be in Smash, SEGA would want to advertise them. Not to mention that Tails is by far the hardest to get Sonic character in the game, being given the legendary status above even the likes of Sonic or Shadow, and while that may mean nothing, it shows that SEGA does think Tails is popular. The problem is if Sakurai decides Sonic shouldn't get a second rep, because the sad reality is that he isn't a Sonic fan

SonicMario

Smash Master
Well, it's not like Jeanne could be a unique character anyway so Bayonetta is not really anything to worry about.

I feel like SEGA would want to support Tails more than Arle or anyone from ATLUS, remember that Sonic is their flagship series. They just released a game titled SEGA Heroes and it didn't have anyone from Puyo Puyo or ATLUS, and that game has Golden Axe and Phantasy Star Online characters, I feel like if they were going to be in Smash, SEGA would want to advertise them. Not to mention that Tails is by far the hardest to get Sonic character in the game, being given the legendary status above even the likes of Sonic or Shadow, and while that may mean nothing, it shows that SEGA does think Tails is popular. The problem is if Sakurai decides Sonic shouldn't get a second rep, because the sad reality is that he isn't a Sonic fan
Yeah, it's pretty obvious Sakurai's not as into Sonic as he is for Castlevania or Street Fighter.

Still, Sonic's the only 3rd party franchise with two stages (Even if they're both returning stages). And both Sonic (Knuckles and Shadow) and Megaman (Zero and Dr. Wily) got to have two assists. Capcom and Konami are currently the companies with three characters. Now of course they're not go pull off any attempt to make every 3rd party involved equalized with three characters each. But it'd be nice to give Sega some stake in having three characters too.

Though regarding the stages thing I mentioned. It concerns me because if Tails has to be in a Fighter pass, he has to come with a stage. And would they really give Sonic 3 stages even putting DLC in consideration for the 3rd one? I admit that's difficult to say. If DLC characters can come without needing to be packaged with a stage. It'd be fine because Windy Hill Zone could be Tails' "home" stage being that Sonic Lost World was a game Tails was in. But as is, if the Fighter Pass is all that's going to be for DLC. The fact the character must come with a stage is a big concern here for Tails.

TailsFoxie

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8467-4041-5425
Alright fellow Tails supporters it's to make this image a reality for Smash Ultimate!

I find it inexcusable that SF and Castlevania can get two reps, but Sonic is still stuck with himself. Never forget the amount of support Sega has given to Nintendo over the past decade.
If Tails doesn't make it, it's fine, i get it! Not gonna get Mad about it.
But i'll always remain hopeful he does.

SonicMario

Smash Master

So this is a thing. Kind of interesting that I thought I'd bring up here. I kinda joked about it in the main discussion thread for the game. But having Tails in with a Sonic-like moveset that isn't effected by water is some circumstantial differences that other characters have had before. Such as Pichu being able to wall-jump in Melee but Pikachu cannot. Imagine if they announce Tails and Sakurai goes over their differences and shows Sonic being damaged by water, but Tails doesn't since he's perfectly able to swim.

Also, I've noticed that Ken actually seems quite different for an echo. The differences between him and Ryu feel closer to a semi-clone, Ken's even slightly faster! It makes me think that if Echoes do end up coming in DLC eventually. Maybe Tails could end up classified as an echo after all? He might have a unique recovery still with the flight and that alone could exempt him from the echo label. But I do wonder.

Of course based on Sakurai's wording, echo fighters seem to be done. Though it's possible Sakurai was only referring to no echo fighters in the fighter pass. But they could still potentially release echo fighters or even random new fighters individually if they really wanted to (After the free bonus time period is over, Piranha Plant will be standalone). Thought I'd mention this all since given Ken's differences, we may just be even more confused on what makes an echo fighter heh. I'm not saying I think Tails could only be an echo given body type is still an issue here so a Semi-clone is still on the more likely side of things if Tails ever happens. But I thought I'd mention it since it is kind of surprising to see Ken with perhaps the most differences out of any echo in the game.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
Though regarding the stages thing I mentioned. It concerns me because if Tails has to be in a Fighter pass, he has to come with a stage. And would they really give Sonic 3 stages even putting DLC in consideration for the 3rd one? I admit that's difficult to say. If DLC characters can come without needing to be packaged with a stage. It'd be fine because Windy Hill Zone could be Tails' "home" stage being that Sonic Lost World was a game Tails was in. But as is, if the Fighter Pass is all that's going to be for DLC. The fact the character must come with a stage is a big concern here for Tails.
I do think it's possible we get more standalones than just Piranha Plant (though we shouldn't necessarily expect it). If we do, Tails might be more likely as a standalone since, yeah, we do have 2 Sonic stages already. As much as it'd be a shame not to get a stage, I'd be fine with it, just to get Tails in finally.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I've been saying it all along - take Sonic, give him a few new animations, and I'll be happy with Tails like that. I don't even need him to fly outside of idle/taunt/victory poses - he didn't when he was playable in Sonic 2.

I do hope there will still be some standalone characters/stages/costumes released as DLC outside of the pack. Tails would be a perfect one to put in. Especially now that Knux got the promotion to assist, and Shadow's still an assist, while Sonic's #2 is still...nothing special?

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
I thought Shadow was a given as an echo, but at this point, I'm starting to see Tails as a likely DLC character. He isn't an 'echo' of Sonic as Ken would be to Ryu, but he is to Sonic what Luigi is to Mario - as an addition to the Sonic series and another third party representative, I see Tails as a realistic choice now. It's a shame about Shadow, but I guess Tails has more nostalgia on his side.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
While I'm not personally a big Tails person, I think it's weird that he specifically is only a Spirit when Shadow & Knuckles are both ATs. I wouldn't be shocked to see Tails join as a DLC character at all, especially since there's no reason that Castlevania and Street Fighter should have two reps when something as huge as Sonic the Hedgehog only has one. Sure, Ken and Richter are echoes, but all the same...

Xenorange

Smash Lord
DLC speculation so far, as stated by Vergeben.
1. Square rep
2. Microsoft rep (Steve? Banjo?)
3. Katalina
4. ???? Bandana Dee??
5. ???? Tails???

So far all the characters are 3rd party. If that trend continues perhaps we could see Tails. I don’t necessarily think the 2 stages means anything. Sakurai does what he wants.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master
1. Square rep
3. Katalina
4. ???? Bandana Dee??
5. ???? Tails???

So far each call the characters are 3rd party. If that trend continues perhaps we could see Tails. I don’t necessarily think the 2 stages means anything. Sakurai does was what he wants.
Verge has not committed to Katalina. He only referred to someone he knows that mentioned it. Not to mention there's word that there were certainly negotiations for it, but didn't quite pan out in the end. The 2nd Square Enix character is certainly coming, and Steve would make sense if Verge is still confident in Microsoft content coming. But Katalina isn't a sure thing yet unless I've missed an update from him or something.

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
1. Square rep
3. Katalina
4. ???? Bandana Dee??
5. ???? Tails???

So far each call the characters are 3rd party. If that trend continues perhaps we could see Tails. I don’t necessarily think the 2 stages means anything. Sakurai does was what he wants.
About that Stage thing, couldn't we have Stages separate in Updates like Miiverse or Super Mario Maker, or have Stages that don't have to completely be from the series. Just a thought.

Okay, so I just want to give my opinion on potential Steve, I am not against him, I'd prefer Banjo, but prepare to say sorry alot, we have to give are condolences to Banjo fans, they would be so devestated and it would actually be horrible.

I want to point out that, even if Vergeben was right about Base Smash, I feel he dosen't know alot of information, I can say he could be right about the Minecraft Rep, and maybe Square, but other than that, I don't see it. Also, can I just say 5 Newcomers is kinda stupid? You have a game that is already selling well even without releasing, and you wouldn't make it into a money machine? Like, at least 7 or 8 newcomers but 5? That's kinda low...

And how about Third Party's actually do more than give permission and actually help with the development, get Sega, Konami and Capcom to help instead of Bandai Namco, and that could work In are favor, Sega could work separately on a Sonic and Puyo pack! That's the thing, I love Sakurai, but when it comes to getting outside help, he's kinda dumb, so offence.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
About that Stage thing, couldn't we have Stages separate in Updates like Miiverse or Super Mario Maker, or have Stages that don't have to completely be from the series. Just a thought.

Okay, so I just want to give my opinion on potential Steve, I am not against him, I'd prefer Banjo, but prepare to say sorry alot, we have to give are condolences to Banjo fans, they would be so devestated and it would actually be horrible.

I want to point out that, even if Vergeben was right about Base Smash, I feel he dosen't know alot of information, I can say he could be right about the Minecraft Rep, and maybe Square, but other than that, I don't see it. Also, can I just say 5 Newcomers is kinda stupid? You have a game that is already selling well even without releasing, and you wouldn't make it into a money machine? Like, at least 7 or 8 newcomers but 5? That's kinda low...

And how about Third Party's actually do more than give permission and actually help with the development, get Sega, Konami and Capcom to help instead of Bandai Namco, and that could work In are favor, Sega could work separately on a Sonic and Puyo pack! That's the thing, I love Sakurai, but when it comes to getting outside help, he's kinda dumb, so offence.
I want Banjo too, and it'd suck pretty hard to get Minecraft over something that Nintendo fans have arguably wanted since the 64 days...

I think Verge could be right about Minecraft representation without it being a character (last I heard he hadn't said definitively that it was a playable character), like it could be a Spirit, or even a Mii Costume. Though...I do fear Minecraft does end up DLC and Banjo winds up a Mii Costume instead...

I don't really wanna play guessing games with DLC too much until we see the first character-stage pack, though. Then we have more of an idea what we're dealing with. Just keeping my fingers crossed for that dream scenario where we get Tails along with an epic new Sonic stage that is nothing like Green Hill. (and if 2019 is REALLY good to me, I'll get Banjo and Sora, too... but I'm not that lucky...)

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
Verge has not committed to Katalina. He only referred to someone he knows that mentioned it. Not to mention there's word that there were certainly negotiations for it, but didn't quite pan out in the end. The 2nd Square Enix character is certainly coming, and Steve would make sense if Verge is still confident in Microsoft content coming. But Katalina isn't a sure thing yet unless I've missed an update from him or something.
Jesus, you know that Granblue thing is ridiculous when Vergeban, himself doubts his source on that.
I know Nintendo likes to promote franchises in Smash but it's usually franchises they own. Not third parties. Why go through for all the effort for a third party character no-one wanted? And it's not even on a Nintendo console or has any history with them. And Vergeben even doubts his own source, as I said before on this.
Very confident Geno will be in the game, too. One of the only highly requested characters who isn't an Assist. Others being Shantae, Banjo-Kazooie and Bandana Dee.
I don't completely hate the idea of Steve being in Smash, seeing how the game is popular and I admittedly I used to like it. Shameful I know.
But Banjo and Kazooie make more sense. He's just more requested and I think if Rare wasn't brought out, Sakurai would've put him in Melee.
Even Phil Spencer seems more onboard with the idea since he never said he'd prefer Steve over them. Plus Verge himself said we'd get some kind of Minecraft representation in Smash. That could simply mean a spirit or even DLC stage.
I want Banjo too, and it'd suck pretty hard to get Minecraft over something that Nintendo fans have arguably wanted since the 64 days...

I think Verge could be right about Minecraft representation without it being a character (last I heard he hadn't said definitively that it was a playable character), like it could be a Spirit, or even a Mii Costume. Though...I do fear Minecraft does end up DLC and Banjo winds up a Mii Costume instead...

I don't really wanna play guessing games with DLC too much until we see the first character-stage pack, though. Then we have more of an idea what we're dealing with. Just keeping my fingers crossed for that dream scenario where we get Tails along with an epic new Sonic stage that is nothing like Green Hill. (and if 2019 is REALLY good to me, I'll get Banjo and Sora, too... but I'm not that lucky...)
Doubting we getting a second wave since the Fighter pass DLC is continuing until February 2020.
Sakurai needs a damn break by then.

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
Doubting we getting a second wave since the Fighter pass DLC is continuing until February 2020.
Sakurai needs a damn break by then.
I was referring to the first of the five we know we're getting before 2020. I for one am buying them separately and not as a set; if someone I really don't want gets in, I wanna just not buy it...

I don't honestly expect anything beyond 2020 either. It's just not Nintendo's MO to keep DLC going for years on end...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Jesus, you know that Granblue thing is ridiculous when Vergeban, himself doubts his source on that.
I know Nintendo likes to promote franchises in Smash but it's usually franchises they own. Not third parties. Why go through for all the effort for a third party character no-one wanted? And it's not even on a Nintendo console or has any history with them. And Vergeben even doubts his own source, as I said before on this.
Yeah. I highly doubt that Katalina (or any Granblue Fantasy character for that matter) will get in.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Just dropping by to show some support for Tails. Always liked the character, and after Shadow's demise I think he's the next logical choice for a 2nd Sonic rep.

SonicMario

Smash Master
So uh... this happened.

I'm afraid this might be bad news for Tails overall. I'm not sure Tails would be high up on Nintendo's list. Let alone Sakurai picking Tails to be one of the 5. The wording also might confirm that this may really be it for DLC as in once all the Fighter pass characters are known. That'll be it, and all character speculation is over.

I think it's still possible for their to be one more season as something they drop as a surprise announcement later. But it's pretty certain that even if there is another. That'll certainly be the last of it.

While I'm completely ok with it since I've dealt with it this long, we just may have to settle for Sonic being alone again. I would love Tails to make it, but I know he isn't going to be a priority with only 5 spots to choose who's next, let alone Nintendo themselves the one who picked the list. At least we'll still have the Mii costume. The higher-ups at Nintendo that helped decide the list of fighters for Sakurai to choose from would of had to be big fans of Sonic to put Tails high-up. And I unfortunately don't see that as too likely.

Though to be frank, this approach to DLC kind of killed my enthusiasm for Tails' chances since the direct. Tails even being kind of front-and-center during the Spirits montage hasn't helped either. Not that I think Spirits are total deconfimations, but him just being there like that doesn't sound like he'd be suddenly one of the names making it.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So uh... this happened.

I'm afraid this might be bad news for Tails overall. I'm not sure Tails would be high up on Nintendo's list. Let alone Sakurai picking Tails to be one of the 5. The wording also might confirm that this may really be it for DLC as in once all the Fighter pass characters are known. That'll be it, and all character speculation is over.

I think it's still possible for their to be one more season as something they drop as a surprise announcement later. But it's pretty certain that even if there is another. That'll certainly be the last of it.

While I'm completely ok with it since I've dealt with it this long, we just may have to settle for Sonic being alone again. I would love Tails to make it, but I know he isn't going to be a priority with only 5 spots to choose who's next, let alone Nintendo themselves the one who picked the list. At least we'll still have the Mii costume. The higher-ups at Nintendo that helped decide the list of fighters for Sakurai to choose from would of had to be big fans of Sonic to put Tails high-up. And I unfortunately don't see that as too likely.

Though to be frank, this approach to DLC kind of killed my enthusiasm for Tails' chances since the direct. Tails even being kind of front-and-center during the Spirits montage hasn't helped either. Not that I think Spirits are total deconfimations, but him just being there like that doesn't sound like he'd be suddenly one of the names making it.
Sega is a regular supporter of Nintendo. Sonic has a crossover series with Mario himself and Sega was one of the third parties that supported Nintendo during the era of the Wii U. Not only that, Sega during the Wii U's lifespan decided to sign an exclusivity agreement which legally forced them to support the Wii U.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Considering that Sakurai isn't choosing the DLC characters, I don't think the ballot results matter anymore. I also felt like the Mii Costumes were chosen based on those ballot results, so.... I REALLY don't think Tails being a mii costume matters any more.

Heck, Geno got a splash screen as a Mii costume and it pretty much looks like a RIP for him.

Getting Tails would be nothing short of a miracle at the point. I'm expecting it to not happen and I'm ready to accept that.

Last edited:

The Snitch Studio

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3637 4300 0430
Guys, if Tails dosen't make it as DLC, then I think are next goal is simple, SPAM SAKURAI TO GET A VACATION!

Lad could spend some time with his wife and actually take some time of, It actually annoys me that he doesn't take a break, and if he had to work on a new game, make a new Kid Icarus or bring back a dead IP, he's got talent, and we have to push his talent out more than just Smash.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
It's really disheartening to see Sonic of all third-parties get so little love in Smash. I have no ill will towards Simon & Richter or Ryu & Ken but seeing their series get two reps while Sonic is left in the dust feels very wrong to me. Does Nintendo still hold a grudge from the 90s or something?

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
It's really disheartening to see Sonic of all third-parties get so little love in Smash. I have no ill will towards Simon & Richter or Ryu & Ken but seeing their series get two reps while Sonic is left in the dust feels very wrong to me. Does Nintendo still hold a grudge from the 90s or something?
Megaman, Snake, Pac-Man, Cloud, and Bayonetta all only have 1 character from their franchise as well. I don't think they're particularly hating on Sonic when so many other 3rd parties only have 1 rep from their franchise.

In terms of companies
Capcom: Megaman, Ryu, Ken
Konami: Snake, Simon, Richter
SEGA: Sonic, Bayonetta
Namco: Pac-Man
Square: Cloud

If anything, they're harsh on Namco, since rumors are already pointing towards Square getting a 2nd rep, Namco will be the only one with 1 character. I think a lot of people just forget Bayonetta is from SEGA... which we honestly could do without her. Really wish she wasn't in the game or she wasn't a SEGA rep.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
Megaman, Snake, Pac-Man, Cloud, and Bayonetta all only have 1 character from their franchise as well. I don't think they're particularly hating on Sonic when so many other 3rd parties only have 1 rep from their franchise.

In terms of companies

If anything, they're harsh on Namco, since rumors are already pointing towards Square getting a 2nd rep, Namco will be the only one with 1 character. I think a lot of people just forget Bayonetta is from SEGA... which we honestly could do without her. Really wish she wasn't in the game or she wasn't a SEGA rep.
Yeah you raise a good point, I just have deep-rooted Sonic bias lol. It is bizarre that Namco of all companies is still stuck on one rep considering they made the damn game.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think our only hope really is if they decide to make Echo DLC outside of the fighter pass. And we get Tails as a Ken-style echo. Because when you really look at Ken's breakdown in that last direct. He's by far the most different out of any of the echoes. And Ken even getting to be slightly faster then Ryu.

Body shape is still an issue, and would be odd to have Tails become the echo when they had Shadow right there for the taking to make more sense shape-wise. But at this point, it's pretty much our best bet. A Tails that plays very similar to Sonic but may at least have some flight properties whether it's through more jumps then Sonic, adding something where you basically get something like Peach's float after using the spring, etc.

If Tails has to be an echo, I'll take it if its the only way it's happening. It is slightly eye-opening at just how different Ken looked with this moveset. I still doubt it happens at all and am for now believing Sakurai's words to meaning there will be no echo fighters in DLC. But SHOULD suddenly we get echoes announced that are completely seperate from the fighter pass kinda like how I expect there to be still Mii fighter costume waves throughout the period. That might be Tails' only shot.

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
So uh... this happened.

I just hope, somehow Tails is on the list. it's doubtful but I'm still holding out hope. I mean Nintendo and SEGA do have a close bond, so........ maybe....?
If not, I at least hope we're not getting another ****ing Fire Emblem rep.
They better pick a few characters that we want and not any promotional characters.

In terms of companies

I've also been saying that poor Namco needs another rep. Again they already have Lloyd, Heihachi, Agumon, Klonoa etc.
They've been helping to develop the game too. They need something at this point.

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
If not, I at least hope we're not getting another ****ing Fire Emblem rep.
LMAO. You already know that ****s about to happen. Let's keep it real. Edlegard is not only a character closely related to an upcoming Fire Emblem title which would be great promotion for that game just like with Corrin, but the character is an axe wielder--which one of the criticisms of the Fire Emblem characters have been primarily that they're all sword wielders. On top of all that she's a pretty female character, which means even many detractors will cave in and accept her inclusion anyway. No doubt in my mind that this is the first party character that is MOST likely at this point. They haven't left many new characters to the imagination and I don't know if they'll pull a character from the Luigi's Mansion 3 or Metroid Prime 4.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i wonder whod be nintendo's second choice for a sonic character, i ment they might not want one at all

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
I don't know guys i think tails has a better shot if they already picked the DLC. They probably knew they would get more money from selling Tails over someone like ken. Having Tails be nothing seems too odd to me.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Oh look, another music update and still none from Sonic. =\

I'm not too confident about Sonic getting a 2nd rep either after hearing that DLC characters were already decided.

Last edited:

2BITfoxy

Smash Cadet
If you really think about it, our odds aren't really any different then they were at the start of the week. Our ability to campaign has just pretty much been taken away, which I think maybe Sakurai did because maybe he knows how volatile the Smash fanbase had gotten over the past couple months and wanted to put a stop to it? (I'm sure there's a loooot of salt after the last Direct over deconfirmed characters, for sure...)

We could always keep up the chatter in the appropriate places (like here), keeping our wanted characters in peoples' minds on the slim off-chance that a second wave of DLC happens. Who knows, maybe if a second DLC wave happens, a new ballot will accompany it? (I highly doubt it, though)

....(keeping a crazy hope that Nintendo picked Tails in order to help promote Team Sonic Racing or other Sonic games coming to the Switch... >_< I dun wanna give uuuup!!)

Top Bottom