• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I was really wrong

Shy Guy!

Smash Journeyman
I though Zelda was an untapped power capable of being top tier, someone just had to figure her out right. So i created some nice and new things with her but the fact is she will never be good. But i really would like to know and discuss any new combos or techy things anyone might of created with her, if anyone has...

Also i think she is awesome in teams idc lol :laugh::laugh::laugh:

AXE 09

Smash Master
Just deciding to randomly visit this thread lol.

Here's my thoughts:

I think that Zelda CAN be a good character. Somebody just needs to decide to put in the dedication to play her and the want to be the best with her. I'm not trying to make myself look all high-and-mighty or anything, but look what I've done with Pikachu. I dedicated myself for 3 and a half years, and look where I am now. I feel that the same can be done with any character, including Zelda. The only problem is that people give up on her too early. Even playing her strait for 2 years might not be enough. Somebody needs to be as dedicated with her as I have been with Pikachu.

And yes, I can understand when you have been playing her for so long and it feels like you reached her maximum capabilities. I felt the same way with Pikachu dozens of times, and everyone thought that the highest level was already reached not long ago. But because I was dedicated enough, I surpased it, and I'm STILL getting even better with him. I just wish that more people would do the same to prove other character's potentials.

I'm not anything special. I'm a pretty slow learner. The reason why I got to the point that I am at now was because I practiced my butt off nearly every day. I can only imagine what a fast learner could do if that person practiced for the same amount of time with Zelda as I have with Pikachu.

In a nut shell, I believe that Zelda can be a good character. Someone just needs the time and dedication to prove it.

Zone

Smash Champion
Just deciding to randomly visit this thread lol.

Here's my thoughts:

I think that Zelda CAN be a good character. Somebody just needs to decide to put in the dedication to play her and the want to be the best with her. I'm not trying to make myself look all high-and-mighty or anything, but look what I've done with Pikachu. I dedicated myself for 3 and a half years, and look where I am now. I feel that the same can be done with any character, including Zelda. The only problem is that people give up on her too early. Even playing her strait for 2 years might not be enough. Somebody needs to be as dedicated with her as I have been with Pikachu.

And yes, I can understand when you have been playing her for so long and it feels like you reached her maximum capabilities. I felt the same way with Pikachu dozens of times, and everyone thought that the highest level was already reached not long ago. But because I was dedicated enough, I surpased it, and I'm STILL getting even better with him. I just wish that more people would do the same to prove other character's potentials.

I'm not anything special. I'm a pretty slow learner. The reason why I got to the point that I am at now was because I practiced my butt off nearly every day. I can only imagine what a fast learner could do if that person practiced for the same amount of time with Zelda as I have with Pikachu.

In a nut shell, I believe that Zelda can be a good character. Someone just needs the time and dedication to prove it.

I use to think this lol. I put alot of work into shield play, Shield poking, ,knowing the best times to grab, Knowing the only times I can tech chase. Practiced distances for Up+b edge cancelling, Practiced Perfect Edge stalling, for campy foxes when I'm ahead. I Got near 90% Consistent with Powershield. It felt good cuz people were "Wtf'ing" at my Zelda. But then like recently I can't even make it out of pools. So I've been playing Falcon, and a couple other high tiers.

Then again I do live in FL, This place is stacked with **** players >.>

Hell most Zelda combo videos dissappoint me, Cuz she is capable of Creative long lasting combos (mostly Pseudo). Which is why I want to make one. I asked your buddy Vectorman to make it for me LOL. I gotta record Zelda matches @ WATO+CEO

CookBadGrades

Smash Cadet
She is actually very good, she has a bunch of combos that I could name, if you like. D-Throw to b or f-air and she can short hop and do two b-airs.

My bad, i list the tiers differently, but you know what i mean, middle tier at least lol
If Mario is a mid tier character, Zelda will never be there. There's A LOT of stuff that mid tiers can do that Zelda can't keep up with.

The best thing to do is just accept that you're not perfect, Zelda's not perfect, Melee's not perfect, your opponent's character is not perfect, and everything is not perfect. You might play better.

I talk all the time about how ******** the Captain Falcon vs Zelda matchup is when I play that matchup, but everyone (who's played my Zelda) knows that I really love that matchup.

CookBadGrades

Smash Cadet
Combo's can be much larger with her than that. Mostly Psuedo.
I was just naming the basics. But ik that she has many good combos. and like a lot of other people are saying, she should get moved up to middle tier.

Shy Guy!

Smash Journeyman
Thats what im saying! lol thats what i was saying from the start. but then you guys gave me a little hope, but i dont think itsgoing to happen

Thats what im saying! lol thats what i was saying from the start. but then you guys gave me a little hope, but i dont think itsgoing to happen
The only real ways we can make Zelda better is by playing 1.0 or PAL. You can't really change characters. You can only change interpretations of characters. That's what a tier list basically is; an interpretation of characters from best to worst at the highest level of metagame. A character's metagames will always be inherently limited by a character's design.

The cost I was referring to was changing the character's design entirely. Aka
Sheik.

Zone

Smash Champion
Even though I believe There are tiers, Some characters can handle more than others. But ultimately, I still believe It's just who's better than who.

I have done BETTER against people with Zelda, Than I have with my high tier mains. And believe me when I say, I play my high tier characters ALOT more than Zelda.

Uuaa Is often Hungrybox's Team partner. I faced him in singles. He 2 stocked my Marth with Fox. So I thought man, I'll just try Zelda. It came down to last stock last life. I still lost, But I had him on his toes.

I have played people who play my high tiers. Then I switch to Zelda and some how do better, and they ask me "What the hell, why don't you just play Zelda?"

I tell them, "Because she sucks, And I like winning"

Sure sometimes My Zelda gets handled like no other. Which puts me down. But when I bring her out for fun, or at a time I seem to care the least. She does A LOT better.

I give all my high tiers equal attention (Marth, Fox, Falcon, occasionally falco), and VERY little Zelda as of late. But i'd say all 5 of these characters play on a equal level(For ME). It's all dependant on my opponents play style.

Stop looking at the tiers so hard.

I mean look at all the Melee players now? 2 years ago people were not questioning Marth/Fox/Shiek as Equal Falco wasn't even in the top 3 with them.

But now look at it. People are throwing Jiggs and falco in the top 3 group and making all 5 of them equal. Have you seen what the Ganons have been doing? A Ganon player made top 3 At RoM2.

I know of falcon mains like GAWes, who picked up marth just for Foxes/Falcos. Jeff(Silent Spectre) Just fights them as Falcon regardless. And I'd say he handles top space animals Very well. Sure They are probably still better(character wise), But this is what I mean by I think it's ultimately the better player who wins.

When I fought Eggz, Chaddd, Hungrybox, M2K.

I did better with Zelda, than I did with my high tier mains.

And I'm torn because I keep telling myself Maybe, But then the Release never comes.
I only get to the last stock against all these pros, and Zelda never quite makes it.

But i'd be a fool to tell you my high tiers make it farther. They tend to do much worse.
Probably only from the lack of their knowledge vs Zelda. But if she's so bad, shouldn't it be excessively Easy?

Zelda is very good at punishing very aggressive players. She has very high priority moves, Unlike most of the characters around her. So maybe she just counters a style. The aggressive Style.

Zelda is very good at punishing very aggressive players. She has very high priority moves, Unlike most of the characters around her. So maybe she just counters a style. The aggressive Style.
Yes. This.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Originally Posted by Zone View Post

time for my campy sheik next time I play a zelda LOL

aka.carpet003

Smash Cadet
what is the point of this?
the way I see it, You should play to have fun, not to bring a character up or save their reputation etc. While I admit Zelda isn't the best of characters, it doesn't mean you shouldn't use her. it's like what epsilon said before, you can't change characters, so just play Zelda because you want to, not because you want to bring her up on the teir list.

Rappster

Smash Ace
would it be inconsiderate to point out zelda has the best down-b in the game?

but seriously, you could main zelda and second shiek.

if you ever get two stock behind, transform when you respawn.

Shy Guy!

Smash Journeyman
you can't change characters, so just play Zelda because you want to, not because you want to bring her up on the teir list.
Her place on the tier list is not important, what i want to see is more competitive zelda players and see her meta change. Even though my top/high tiers do alot better most of the time, when they fail i tend to switch to zelda and, believe it or not, she pulls through.

I keep changing my mind about her being an untapped resource or not, but i think im going to keep trying to figure her out more and advance her meta up.:p

Her place on the tier list is not important, what i want to see is more competitive zelda players and see her meta change.
I think we're the new Zelda players you're looking for. I may have the first or second best Zelda in MDVA, Plank might be better. Plank's Zelda did beat me in a Zelda pride match, but I think I can handle other characters better than he can. My Zelda can always take off two stocks, even three sometimes, during friendlies against his Fox after the tournament today ended. Plank used to try and learn Zelda a long while ago to deal with Ice Climbers. His Zelda and Fox are good, right?

Watch me.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Epsilon, I challenge you to a Zelda ditto. Also I know a guy in Richmond who's Zelda's pretty ****. Also tope has a really good Zelda too...

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Ok. I've plenty of other cps though lol.

I say regular rules or Pound 4 rules with stage striking. ur choice.

Zone

Smash Champion
Originally Posted by Zone View Post

time for my campy sheik next time I play a zelda LOL
lol eggz, Imma press down B and we'll be having a Shiek ditto! >.>

Top Bottom