• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I want to see the stars

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Link to original post: [drupal=5163]I want to see the stars[/drupal]

And by that, I mean I want to get a good view of the starry night in person. Unfortunately, that's not easy to do in modern civilization.

Does anybody live in an area that's actually dark enough to get a good view of the stars at night? If so, what's it like?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
In a wide open field with no bright lights of the city around, it's... hard to describe. I feel like I just get swallowed up in the immensity of it, and it blows me away every time.

However, I hear that some people don't particularly care about it.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I can see the stars pretty well from the city I live in Japan. I've been able to see three shooting stars since I moved here. However, about a half and hour from where I live in some great mountainous areas where I hear the stars are particularly spectacular.

I previously lived in a fairly small town in Ohio by Lake Erie. I was able to see the stars pretty well there as well but I was usually too busy to take time to look at them. Interesting story but last Christmas (2010), I went back to the States for a month. I always go jogging at night on Mondays and Wednesdays here in Japan and I always look at the stars as I job so I made a note, before I left for the States, to go jogging when I went back.. Sure enough, after I returned to the States, I recognized some of the brighter stars half the world away. It made me feel connected back to my life in Japan and, since I have returned, I feel much more connected to the States. It's interesting how things like that do that to you.

However, the best memory I remember of star-gazing was taking a ferry ride to a small island in Lake Erie with some friends in the late evening. Her grandparents own a cottage there and we went during Labor Day weekend. I'll never forget watching the sunset over Lake Erie and the stars coming out in the night sky. It was absolutely beautiful.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I live in an area of relatively low light pollution but the trick here is to catch a night when it's not overcast which due to the humidity is kInda rare.

I grew up in Boston however so it is still quite a difference. Flying at night you can barely see an end to the glow of city light that covers the landscape from Boston to NYC to dc like a starry night in reverse.

Lol I thought this blog was gonna be about taking a trip to outer space XD

jrkirby

Smash Rookie
Where do you live? I can see the stars just fine, and I live in a city. Is it particularly polluted where you live?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I live in Allentown, a heavily populated city west of Philly. The best I can see is Ursa major. I could probably count the number of stars visible at night.

:phone:

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I love to stargaze, but seeing as I live in the city, I hardly ever get to see the stars like I would want to. On occasions, I visit a friend of mine who live far from the city, and you can literally see the planets as well. The fact she has a telescope makes the view even more breathtaking.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Go somewhere where the population isn't so dense and the skies are clear.

Pretty much that simple.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I can see the stars pretty well from the city I live in Japan. I've been able to see three shooting stars since I moved here. However, about a half and hour from where I live in some great mountainous areas where I hear the stars are particularly spectacular.

I previously lived in a fairly small town in Ohio by Lake Erie. I was able to see the stars pretty well there as well but I was usually too busy to take time to look at them. Interesting story but last Christmas (2010), I went back to the States for a month. I always go jogging at night on Mondays and Wednesdays here in Japan and I always look at the stars as I job so I made a note, before I left for the States, to go jogging when I went back.. Sure enough, after I returned to the States, I recognized some of the brighter stars half the world away. It made me feel connected back to my life in Japan and, since I have returned, I feel much more connected to the States. It's interesting how things like that do that to you.

However, the best memory I remember of star-gazing was taking a ferry ride to a small island in Lake Erie with some friends in the late evening. Her grandparents own a cottage there and we went during Labor Day weekend. I'll never forget watching the sunset over Lake Erie and the stars coming out in the night sky. It was absolutely beautiful.
Lake Erie is seriously the best place for star gazing
I live in the suburbs of Cleveland, but my grandparents have a cottage out in Huron. We usually don't stay too late, but when we do, we'll sit out on their lawn, on the pier, or have a bonfire on the beach and just look at the sky. It's awe inspiring

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I can see the stars quite fine at my house. Suburban areas are quite fine in stargazing if they aren't near a populated city.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Just go to a camp sight. That's the best place for at stars close up.
Lake Erie is seriously the best place for star gazing
Haha, you guys know it.
I live in Toronto and I go camping with my mom, some of her friends and some relatives every summer, and I get to bring 2 friends along with me each time (I think we've gone camping every year since I was...8? I'm 18 now)
Anyway, last summer (2011) was probably the best in terms of stargazing. We were at some campsite near Lake Erie (the name of the campsite escapes me atm, I'll probably edit it in later if I can remember) and on this one particular night, myself, the 2 friends and 2 of my cousins all decided to walk to the nearby shore and look up at the night sky. We all sat down at this one bench that was, for some reason, in the sand.

My god, it was amazing.

The stars were very clearly visible, noticeably more visible than in the city. The moon was on one side of the lake, and, far off in the distance on the other side was a thunderstorm. That corner of the night sky was shimmering pink and red. The water's surface reflected both the moon and the stars, and the entire lake sparkled as the reflections bounced about with the waves. One of my friends brought his guitar, and played some soothing melodies while the rest of us listened and stared. Talk about ambient.

And, for some reason, the moon was changing. Over the course of...probably around 45-60 minutes, the moon went from bright white, to yellow, to red, and from there it just faded until we could no longer see it. My friends and I joked about it, saying that the moon 'had a hissyfit'

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
Haha, you guys know it.
I live in Toronto and I go camping with my mom, some of her friends and some relatives every summer, and I get to bring 2 friends along with me each time (I think we've gone camping every year since I was...8? I'm 18 now)
Anyway, last summer (2011) was probably the best in terms of stargazing. We were at some campsite near Lake Erie (the name of the campsite escapes me atm, I'll probably edit it in later if I can remember) and on this one particular night, myself, the 2 friends and 2 of my cousins all decided to walk to the nearby shore and look up at the night sky. We all sat down at this one bench that was, for some reason, in the sand.

My god, it was amazing.

The stars were very clearly visible, noticeably more visible than in the city. The moon was on one side of the lake, and, far off in the distance on the other side was a thunderstorm. That corner of the night sky was shimmering pink and red. The water's surface reflected both the moon and the stars, and the entire lake sparkled as the reflections bounced about with the waves. One of my friends brought his guitar, and played some soothing melodies while the rest of us listened and stared. Talk about ambient.

And, for some reason, the moon was changing. Over the course of...probably around 45-60 minutes, the moon went from bright white, to yellow, to red, and from there it just faded until we could no longer see it. My friends and I joked about it, saying that the moon 'had a hissyfit'
Sounds so pretttyyyyyy

Ever since I moved to Pittsburgh for school, stargazing has sucked....
Back in Cleveland for the weekend though. I can only see a few stars....but dang did I miss the pretty night sky

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
The eastern half of Oregon in entirety has probably 1/5 the population of Portland alone. I can see EVERYTHING.

Top Bottom