• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I understand why we take so much damage using Flare Blitz

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
It's FREAKIN' GOOD.

It armors almost ANY aerial. Punish ANY kind of landing lag, ANY. It's also one of the best recoveries in the game PERIOD. I really underestimated this move. It's freakin good.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
9% self-recoil damage no matter what IIRC. And yeah it's one of the best horizontal recovering moves in the game, Idk about overall best recoveries however.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
If you don't hit anything you take 4%. Other than 9%

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Right, right it's 4 % without hitting a character dead on, or hitting a shield(?). From the OP you say following situations that lead to successfully landing the Flare Blitz against them so it would be 9% no matter what.:shades:

Hong

The Strongest
Armour seems to be the nigh-absolute variety, like Aether's startup. Seemingly about 70% of the length after Charizard takes off.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
To say nothing of custom 2, Blast Burn according to serebii...

I guess custom 3 (Dragon Rush, no self-damage but weaker multi-hit) has
no armor?

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
The biggest problem I have with this move is that it's sometimes too good.

The amount of times I've SD'ed by carelessly blitzing across the map and though the other ides :p

RighteousWednesday

Smash Rookie
I have been using mostly charizard since I picked up the game. Frankly I think flare blitz is VERY high risk and reward. Its not very safe on shield, a lot of faster opponents like sheik yoshi and fox can usually combo you out of shield.

I am however really into his dragon rush (side special 3) which allows him to do no recoil damage to himself. This move works alot like a horizontal Wario UpB with good range and is a lot safer on shields because it is multi hit. It has less super armor and damage tho. But if u catch your opponent in the sweet spot of the whole thing, it KOs around 110 from center stage.

lcampoy8

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8395-9035
Flareblitz is overrated, most good players can block it. Its a very situational move like Rock Smash and Flamethrower. It should only be used 2 or 3 times a match.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Flareblitz is overrated, most good players can block it. Its a very situational move like Rock Smash and Flamethrower. It should only be used 2 or 3 times a match.
I'd have to disagree with that. Use it to punish.

When you have the stock lead and you're already at high percent, recoil damage isn't evena problem, lol.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Oh a higher level of echelon play and depending on the match up,your right.

but flare blitz shouldn't be restricted to only 2-3 times a match like your suggesting,it should be used when the opportunity sees fit for it.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
I am currently investigating setups for this move that extend beyond simple hard reads. Flare Blitz IS good. Not godlike and certainly should not be abused, but learning to use it effectively/intelligently WILL be a cornerstone in any high level Charizard player's toolbox. Count on it.

lcampoy8

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1220-8395-9035
but flare
blitz shouldn't be restricted to only 2-3 times a match like your suggesting,it should be used when the opportunity sees fit for it.
I say 2-3 times because I feel it should be saved as a kill move, a unstale flareblitz can kill around 80%. If you use it less it'll be easier to land because they won't expect it.

Last edited:

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Seeing as I'm very frequently finding games online where Charizards are winning using almost nothing other than Flare Blitz, I don't think anybody has any right to complain about its very small costs.

Personally, I think it could have its armor stripped, and still be a very good move.

How about we trade the mechanics for Flare Blitz, and Skull Bash.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Flare Blitz owns as a landing punish when timed correctly. Trying to airdodge? Enjoy your lag. Trying to beat it out? Super armor says hi. Try to avoid it? That **** moves across the stage.

I just wish the move was a bit stronger. A lot of times I can't kill with it even at like 120%. Charizard sucks at killing stuff unless it's Fsmash.

Shog

Smash Ace
Flare Blitz owns as a landing punish when timed correctly. Trying to airdodge? Enjoy your lag. Trying to beat it out? Super armor says hi. Try to avoid it? That **** moves across the stage.

I just wish the move was a bit stronger. A lot of times I can't kill with it even at like 120%. Charizard sucks at killing stuff unless it's Fsmash.
It is because you stale the move to hell and back. But to be honest, Charizard has a strong gimping game anyway, so getting the enemy offstage with a staled Flare Blitz isn't that bad.

And you folks willl love Dragon Rush, I promise it. As soon as you get it: Try it out

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
My only problem with Flare Blitz is that it sometimes goes too far. It's fantastic as a side recovery, but if you're on a flat stage like Final Destination, you could easily end up falling below the stage because you just happened to miss that one player.

Other than that, I don't really use it that much unless I really need to.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271

I have had NO ISSUE killing stuff with Charizard.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I really like this move a lot more than I thought I would. The fact that it rips through projectiles, coupled with the fact that most projectiles in this game have tons of ending lag, alone makes flare blitz viable. But where it really shines is punishing landings. Not to mention, taking 4% to safely recover high is so worth it.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
Flare Blitz?

Oh, you mean the YOLO Charge. Yeah, it's a solid move.

Often you don't NEED it, just because Charizard has an insane amount of killing options. Certainly the most fun move to casually toss out.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I've been Smash Running for hours farming customization equipment, got all of Zard's moves BUT Dragon Rush, and the game just keeps giving me Mii outfit pieces I don't care about.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
What I really hate about this move is when I push side-b thinking it's still Rock Smash.

But yeah Charizard has become my preferred heavyweight and this move has so much speed and power its ridiculous. I agree with the users saying that it shouldn't be abused, since it becomes very predictable and easy to punish if abused.

El Cid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2277-7962-6585
When I first used Flare Blitz on opening night, I was like "AW HELL YA FLARE BLITZ." Charizard immediately became #1 in my stats because of how many KOs I got with him, almost exclusively because of that move.

Then I started to wake up. It's really not perfect. 9 and 4% don't seem to big but if you use it too much it'll accumulate. Also it's really great as a recovery move, but you could easily screw it up. Not only does it do damage to Zard, but it goes really far, and you could just as easily use it to throw yourself off the stage as you could to get back on. If you've used up at least one midair jump (he only gets two extra jumps now instead of 3 and can't glide) and you use Flare Blitz, goodbye. You're dead. Also if you Flare Blitz too close to the edge you will straight up kill yourself! It's sort of like Fox Illusion only even more risky.

The final caution is that if someone shields, you will still take damage but they won't, and the shield doesn't even get any weaker after taking a Flare Blitz, so watch out. And of course Zard will fall down and be vulnerable to an attack after this, so you really have to be careful not to hit someone while they're shielding. If they time it right, they can even stop it with a well-timed aerial. It's probably really hard to do. Also any counter move if used at the right time can punish Zard for trying to Flare Blitz them.

So, awesome move, but not it has to be very well timed. I don't think I will use Charizard too much, but he's definitely one of my favorites.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
This move is godlike on him. literally the main thing that separates him from other heavy characters is that his recovery is a hell of a lot better thanks to this and his multi jumps.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Rock Smash is an incredible move though... Super Armor allows to to get some really good punishes on overly aggressive players.

Flare Blitz is pretty amazing too. Charizard is a heavy character so having a little extra damage isn't terrible, and having another kill option is really good. Not to mention you can catch people in rolls, which can be very hard in this game for slowish characters.

Flame Thrower is also an interrupter. It's less about the damage and more about stopping a setup from a safe distance.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Using it to recover works wonders for me. I've lived at obscene percentages just by using it to return!

McAwesome

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1650-1194-4308
Rock Smash is an incredible move though... Super Armor allows to to get some really good punishes on overly aggressive players.
Plus it's great for punishing counters on Mack and Lucina/Marth. The move's damage and Super Armor last long enough for them to activate their counter, take the damage, and still smack them after it's done.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
Plus it's great for punishing counters on Mack and Lucina/Marth. The move's damage and Super Armor last long enough for them to activate their counter, take the damage, and still smack them after it's done.
Counter spam on For Glory is the worst. Especially since some characters active counter frames are sooooo long *cough* Shulk *cough*. It's made so much worse by counters now being a kill option for nearly every character with a counter.

McAwesome

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1650-1194-4308
Counter spam on For Glory is the worst. Especially since some characters active counter frames are sooooo long *cough* Shulk *cough*. It's made so much worse by counters now being a kill option for nearly every character with a counter.
Shulk and Lucario have the worst of it. Mack, Marthm, and Lucina's counters are easy to work against, since they don't take very long. Greninja's is slightly longer, but still easy to notice.

tm730

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4227-1256-0282
lol i jsut beat a flimsy ass link with this move...he/she tried to stay on one side and throw bombs and arrows and Flare Blitz when thru the projectiles.....i forced him to approach me instead of the other way around eventually, Too bad they lost.

Last edited:

Smaugfan

Smash Cadet
speaking of FB, it has been said that you can't do a repeat FB like Pika could do with Skull Bash...yet however, something strange happened here. In this video, at 1:28 thru 1:32 you see a second FB in an opposite direction to get back to the stage after the player used the first one to go out from the stage. What happened here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6BhDjSNK8Q
how did a second come out?

There is also another video I had seen before of Charizard using FB, and while over the stage in the air, the usual horizontal path got altered. Somehow the FB was angled upwards above the normal flight path, but he still kept his body in the horizontal manner.

See it in this video at 1:57 thru 1:59. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jv7DqoB9kw

Looks like what we were used to seeing for Flare Blitz has now changed. There is more that can be done with the move, but how?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
For the second one it's because of Game&Watch's Up Air's windbox.

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
It's a fantastic move.

There's something maniacally sinister and satisfying about catching an opponent off-guard and using flare blitz at point blank range.

That and its awesome recovery viability... hot damn.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll openly admit that I use Flare Blitz too much.

JOGernaut

Smash Rookie
I will usually always flare blitz when I see my opponent charging a smash attack, it either prioritizes or just flat out armors the attack. I've actually gotten some pretty early kills with flare blitz due to characters getting lighter as they charge.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A year after the game has been out...

I can still say that Flare Blitz is Charizard's best move.

It's THE Punish tool that we have.

I like to use it when opponents use projectiles. I use it as a get off me attack. I use it for recovery. Like damn, it's quite good.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Flareblitz is pretty awesome.
First thought it was a pretty bad move since it's easy to react to and is pretty punishable on shield.
But i learned to use it as a recovery tool, and punish for landing lags.
...also, it might be pure luck, but i manage to catch off a lot of opponents offline on hard reads.

Yeah, not a move you can toss out too often, but still really great.

Top Bottom