• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I understand why we take so much damage using Flare Blitz

AureusVulpes

Triforce of AURA
Lucario main here, I have to warn you all that a fully charged Aura Sphere can break you out of FB entirely, at any Lucario damage %. I've done this to flinch Charizard AIs (no one in my immediate area that ive found plays Charizard but me) out of FB and then Force Palm them into oblivion.

These ARE Lv9 AIs, though, so I'm not sure if a player can actually do something to stop this from happening. Either way, Aura Sphere is definitely something to worry over.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Lucario main here, I have to warn you all that a fully charged Aura Sphere can break you out of FB entirely, at any Lucario damage %. I've done this to flinch Charizard AIs (no one in my immediate area that ive found plays Charizard but me) out of FB and then Force Palm them into oblivion.

These ARE Lv9 AIs, though, so I'm not sure if a player can actually do something to stop this from happening. Either way, Aura Sphere is definitely something to worry over.
Generally, FB is used as a punish tool. People using it to try and approach are not using FB to the best of it's ability. A good Charizard approaches with stuff like SHop FAir, falling Flamethrower or NAir. Flare Blitz is just too unreliable as an approach option.

And by "punish tool", I mean a shield break punish or hard read. :p

Last edited:

AureusVulpes

Triforce of AURA
Generally, FB is used as a punish tool. People using it to try and approach are not using FB to the best of it's ability. A good Charizard approaches with stuff like SHop FAir, falling Flamethrower or NAir. Flare Blitz is just too unreliable as an approach option.

And by "punish tool", I mean a shield break punish or hard read. :p
Absolutely. I hear some people say "lol use it all da time" and I just kinda raise an eyebrow and say "uh, maybe not...". It's a strong kill option, but if you overuse it, it kinda just dies. Stale move penalty is NOT kind to FB.

That being said, i have used it to power through certain projectiles i know i can get away with AND punish my opponent for using it, which is kind of what i was getting at. Lucarios have to charge AS for it to be useful as a kill option and that means standing still. if you think you're in a good position to punish where they are standing, then FB might be a good option. It's not such a good option when THE AURA gets above a certain level, as it can counter punish you. Below that threshold, it can't stop you though. Some testing ive done since 1.1.3 suggests that a ~50% Lucario (mind you this is BEFORE stock aura: when Lucario is behind in stock or score (depending on contest) of his target, he gains extra aura) can start using a fully charged AS to break your FB and send you off.

Top Bottom