• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I suck against G&W too much

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Whenever he has me in the air or on the ledge i pretty much lose. G&W has become a giant problem for me in tournies, and its forcing me to learn a new character i'd never thought i'd use just to counter pick him. As long as theres G&Ws in a tourney my hopes in doing well are pretty much shot, unless i just don't use Mario. :(

cutter

Smash Champion
G&W is a nightmare matchup for Mario because Mario struggles against G&W's high priority disjointed hitboxes. Mario has little answer to the turtle and G&W's kill moves send Mario to his grave at alarmingly low percentages.

Counterpicking is your best choice. Play someone like Snake or Marth instead.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Kirby works pretty decent against Game and Watch. He's my secondary, and I have no problems fighting G&W with him.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
the main problem i have against G&W is when im limited on the ledge and kept in the air. The Bair use to to bother me a lot but i found a way around it. Its not like im getting destroyed, its just those 2 factors thats making me lose to G&W over and over again and its fustrating.

Keoki

Smash Cadet
i had a thread just like this http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187610 but my thread died :( i really have no tips against G&W or else i wouldn't have made that thread, so i guess you just have to counter pick. its sad that it seems like the mario community is shrinking due to G&W, lol. i had to switch my mains away from him because my brother mains G&W and snake, i finally settled on ZSS but she still struggles against both. All in all G&W is a gay char to fight and easily the most annoying. i vote stick with mario and just learn to fight him or something because mario is just so fun to use :laugh: and besides bo your already really good with mario so good luck against G&W

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I never, can't and won't abandon Mario. I just hate the fact that the other characters i use don't do well either so i have to learn a new character. Counterpicking sounds resaonable i hope my Toon Link does well against G&W. Just started practicing with him.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
It really does aggravate me too when I feel hopeless against other characters, but I can't seem to motivate myself to pick another character besides my mains and secondary, which all are generally considered as subpar. I just don't have it in me.

I've never fought a lot of G&W's, but the best advice I can give as a Mario player is to space yourself and take full advantage of an opening. That's how I generally beat my battles against Game and Watch.

Just how bad are you against him? Are they close matches or blowouts?

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
HeroMystic said:
Just how bad are you against him? Are they close matches or blowouts?
Today 09:41 PM
Bo x7 said:
Its not like im getting destroyed, its just those 2 factors thats making me lose to G&W over and over again and its fustrating.
In my last 2 tournies i got beat by the same guy. The 2nd time i did a lot better. Its not a blow out because i reduced his stocks to 1. my problems keeping me from winning tho.

-Being kept in the air constantly by G&W's Juggling and annoying Uair preventing me from getting to the ground but forcing me to te ledge.
-When grabbing the ledge i can't do anything. G&W outprioritizes all my moves meaning i can't even get off the ledge and counter attack or even jump off the ledge to get behind him because i get a turtle in my face and right back on the ledge.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
That'd be nice except for the fact that i want to get off of the ledge. Cape stallin only gets me so far since the G&W player can just run off the ledge and Bair me, or probably do something else.

vato_break

Smash Master
Just tell the guy your nipples are hard,yea....that should work lol jk
you can wall jump, cape (to fake him out),fire ball to get back on the stage

Cape opposite of edge bair too the stage

from the ledge jump to dair

Trying to fake him out with the cape seems good but, thats all i can think of....

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I have troubles against Game and Watch as well. My Mario spams fireballs like crazy, and I rarely spam against Game and Watch, due to the bucket =/ If I happen to fill up the bucket though, I go crazy with fireballs, and do my best to NOT get close them him.

Only thing I can think of is space bair's, don't let the turtle bite your toes ><

Not many Game and Watch's here in Cali that I know of, my troubles are Metaknights, they make me want to quit =[

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
The guy lives too far from me.

And it is the character, G&W is haulting me in tournies. Even in doubles.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
The guy lives too far from me.

And it is the character, G&W is haulting me in tournies. Even in doubles.
G&W is a Mario counter, BO X7. Unless you're more skilled than the person using him, you will never win with Mario. Just counterpick. Using one more character won't hurt. :)

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Did you try B-air ledge recoveries BO?

Oh, and btw, the new analysis of Toon Link at the G&W forums says that G&W has the advantage since he can easily swat most of TL's projectiles and can **** him off stage. G&W's worst matchup however is Snake.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The only thing I can recommend is try using the FLUDD more. It helps a bit with the bair/fair approaches and can help you set up something if he tries to a SH dair. It's weird but I don't really have that much of a problem with Game and Watch for some reason. Metaknight is the one who's about as painful to fight as castrating yourself with a rusty icecream scoop.

i fought a g&w the other day. he wasnt that bad. if he truly is a mario counter id like 2 face a really good g&w. mk is my problem but im not that bad at fightin him. i always find myself losin the 1st couple of matches against anyone just 2 get the feel of theyre style but come back winnin. as 4 ur g&w problem, all i can say is keep practisin. btw boss is crazy with mario, just had 2 compliment him after watchin his vids with azen.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
haha snake does not beat G&W if he did the snake mainers here will be winning the tournaments in stead of Cosmo and tink winning them. not to mention Juntah won the last one. all G&W. Not to mention there were no Toon link's there.

Genos

Smash Apprentice
It's a worth a shot, at least. If your Toon Link isn't so great and you don't feel that you can get any better, you can always try another character.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
No, I know Toon Link beats G&W. But a slight adv at most. My Toon Link has been doing pretty good though, he's my best bet.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
best advice,space your self,then fake him out when he uses the turtle,rolling behind him,or backing off and stutter smashing him work well,G&W lives next to the edge and he'll do anything to get you there so just keep away from edge ta all costs
he'll almost always down throw>D-smash so roll out the way immediatly,and his F-smash can still hurt you after it has already comeout for a good second
fireballs works but not 2 at a time cuz that will lead to the bucket,and eventually that bucket neing full
fireball aproaches are good still tho,scince his bucket has some small lag after absorbing an item,just make sure you've already landed in his face before he puts the bucket away or you'll get a hammer in your face
just keep calm and dont compare %'s he'll die faster than you do
G&W is anoying especially his up-b,if your to proud to counter pick(like most mario mainers XD) keep practicing against him
hope this will help...

i got it! dont spam the fireballs but use it when hes at killing %(make sure HE WILL DIE with a smash atk, u dont want 2 fill the bucket) so when he uses the bucket 2 catch a fireball, the lag on the bucket will allow u 2 smash atk him 4 a gauranteed ko. and if he catches on 2 ur killin trick theres nothin he can do bcus if he buckets, hes dead and if he doesnt hes gonna have real trouble with ur fireball approach botherin him knowin his buckets not an option. also stay close when u use ur fireball 4 the trick. ive actually done this b4 i even thought of the trick and always seemed 2 get a free smash atk in. best advice i can think of, 4 now

Top Bottom