• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I suck against G&W too much

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Ok, I just have to sceam this, as nooby as it sounds....FLUDD ***** G&W'S APPROACH!!! ABUSE IT!!!

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea...I just played a Game and Watch and got 3 stocked...he's too good for Mario, his smashes come out too fast, his aerials own, fishbowl, and backair for the loss? I filled up his bucket just so I can camp but yea...1 hit ko, wait 2, 1 hit ko's moves.

And so I finish my rant:laugh:.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
You can literally just spam FLUDD and it stops every one of his move uncharged or not. I've nearly 3 stocked some G&Ws using this strategy but it's still hella hard to do cause of how hard FLUDD is to use in the firstplace. Despite everything else G&W has on Mario, he doesn't have any safe approach because of FLUDD.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Only approach i'm able to mess up with the fludd is GW's SH Bair. Havent figured out a creative method to use it yet for his other approaches though. His Dsmash is easy to stand evade, Fsmash stays out a little too long so I dont spot dodge that one. His Uair now, That's a move there. He can manipulate you with ease unfortunatly.

mario brawler

Smash Journeyman
Playing Brawl until I have a seizure,nah im kiddin
G&W = super ***
his D-smash is easy to spam
his F-smash stay out to long so=no spot dodging
u/bair is just horrible to deal with
n/f/d are also annoying
up-b=broken
bucket=broken
hammer=broken
sausage or wateva the hell it is=anoyying
tilts are all good
he likes *****

bassiclly 90% of his moveset=antimario

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Seriously, just do a backwards SH while using the FLUDD. FLUDD messes up all his moves.

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
G&W = super ***
his D-smash is easy to spam Jab him before he starts up
his F-smash stay out to long so=no spot dodging Jab before the move starts up
u/bair is just horrible to deal withthis is basically a patience thing one you figure out the timing on Bair you'll be fine Uair...it just pushes you up...unless you can't do anything you should be fine
n/f/d are also annoyingonce again it's all about patience
up-b=broken ok
bucket=broken Fireball smart
hammer=broken 1/9 chance of dying at 40%...just move out of the way
sausage or wateva the hell it is=anoyying Could be much much worse
tilts are all good ok
on top of everthing I listed Fludd works pretty well too

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Seriously, just do a backwards SH while using the FLUDD. FLUDD messes up all his moves.
Just curious, but what approaches of his exactly are you able to mess up with the fludd? And what moves do you use fludd on? He usually gets me on a few SH approaches at times. I'll try to bacwards SH then use it though.

Fireball's, I only use at arms length, to the point where it's obvious for him not to bucket or he'll get smacked. If he chooses to risk it just to fill up his bucket, that's all on him. Once he has 2 I just use the fireballs sparringly wisely, he'll probably bucket out the blue at times with wishful thinking. If he has a full bucket, I rarely get hit with that move because I spam fireballs like crazy. Campy Mario :chuckle: The bucket is not a problem.

I need to do what Monk said more often though, in all of my matches. Jab often, the move comes out very fast.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Just curious, but what approaches of his exactly are you able to mess up with the fludd? And what moves do you use fludd on? He usually gets me on a few SH approaches at times. I'll try to bacwards SH then use it though.
All of them, the idea is make sure G&W hits the FLUDD.

Matt07

Smash Master
Wow thanks for the tips guys, it seems F.L.U.U.D, and jabs seem to work really well against Mr. Game and Watch. I'll try to implement them more against Mr.Game and Watch's. So I'm presuming that staying being 'ground based' is better against him?

And yes Monk/Honkey/Banana, I have HORRIBLE reactions. Ah well, nothing I can do about that.:laugh:.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah guys, if you want to practice against a G&W, I'd be willing to help you out. It's the least I can do, since my Mario fails. =(

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Fludd works well in battle on floaty characters that rely heavily on their aerial game. Characters like Luigi, Yoshi, and Peach are examples of this. Peach especially because it screws up her spacing on aerials and leaves her open for punishment. Same applies for G&W and his laggy attacks.

Fireball's, I only use at arms length, to the point where it's obvious for him not to bucket or he'll get smacked. If he chooses to risk it just to fill up his bucket, that's all on him. Once he has 2 I just use the fireballs sparringly wisely, he'll probably bucket out the blue at times with wishful thinking. If he has a full bucket, I rarely get hit with that move because I spam fireballs like crazy. Campy Mario :chuckle: The bucket is not a problem.
Indeed. Bucket is seriously overrated. That should never be seen as a reason not to use a projectile, especially with Mario. Since approach is very difficult vs G&W, why make it worse by making Mario's best approach option (fireballs) taboo?

I need to do what Monk said more often though, in all of my matches. Jab often, the move comes out very fast.
That and SH bairs and nairs. G&W is not a fast character, so many of our aerials and Dsmash come out quicker than what's in his arsenal.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Main thing with GW is not to fear his bucket. And keep with you're fireball approach to assist you at all times. If you're above 90% a smash attack will KO you anyway. So even if he does manage to sneak a a full bucket in, he 9 times out of 10 will attempt to sit on the bucket and kill off you're high % stock without using it. Which is where you get real campy and fireball spammy. & KO him first, He'll have a full bucket on his next stock with no clean approaches to hit you with it or anything else because of you're fireball pressure.

Just play annoyingly awkward and difficult to approach and you should do fine. This goes for every adversary in Mario's path. Just need to emphasize stronger on certain things depending on the character.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Main thing with GW is not to fear his bucket. And keep with you're fireball approach to assist you at all times. If you're above 90% a smash attack will KO you anyway. So even if he does manage to sneak a a full bucket in, he 9 times out of 10 will attempt to sit on the bucket and kill off you're high % stock without using it. Which is where you get real campy and fireball spammy. & KO him first, He'll have a full bucket on his next stock with no clean approaches to hit you with it or anything else because of you're fireball pressure.

Just play annoyingly awkward and difficult to approach and you should do fine. This goes for every adversary in Mario's path. Just need to emphasize stronger on certain things depending on the character.
Depending on the G&W, I'll ignore the bucket. If a G&W is predicting my fireballs THAT well and are filling it 2 or 3 times a match, that'd actually make things a little harder for me, so no fireballs.

Otherwise, this matchup's biggest problem is approach. The risk/reward decision is elementary in regard to using fireballs for approach even with the bucket risk. He kills us at 90% either way by spamming smashes. I go into the match thinking "Screw it all. No reservation"

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Indeed. Bucket is seriously overrated. That should never be seen as a reason not to use a projectile, especially with Mario. Since approach is very difficult vs G&W, why make it worse by making Mario's best approach option (fireballs) taboo?
LOL, I just ***** Kanzaki with that. I actually saved the replay, so I'll have it up on my youtube channel sooner or later.

You can't SPAM Fireballs. You can only shoot them if you know he's going to shield, or if he's at a percentage where he can be killed (or of course after you've filled it up, but beware, it's a 1frame startup attack that kills you at like 40% meaning if he spotdodges one of your attacks at the right time, you're dead).

Fireballing while he's approaching with an attack doesn't work 90% of the time since his attack will simply eat it up while you lag from your own attack animation. Just from what I've noticed.

Ray/Boshi

Smash Journeyman
Depending on the G&W, I'll ignore the bucket. If a G&W is predicting my fireballs THAT well and are filling it 2 or 3 times a match, that'd actually make things a little harder for me, so no fireballs.

Otherwise, this matchup's biggest problem is approach. The risk/reward decision is elementary in regard to using fireballs for approach even with the bucket risk. He kills us at 90% either way by spamming smashes. I go into the match thinking "Screw it all. No reservation"
I do the same. But mostly, I look at it for what it is, i'll be KOed early either way. Might as well go all in. Rather then restricting my approaches into his favor.

LOL, I just ***** Kanzaki with that. I actually saved the replay, so I'll have it up on my youtube channel sooner or later.

You can't SPAM Fireballs. You can only shoot them if you know he's going to shield, or if he's at a percentage where he can be killed (or of course after you've filled it up, but beware, it's a 1frame startup attack that kills you at like 40% meaning if he spotdodges one of your attacks at the right time, you're dead).

Fireballing while he's approaching with an attack doesn't work 90% of the time since his attack will simply eat it up while you lag from your own attack animation. Just from what I've noticed.
:laugh: Nice. Looking forward to seeing that. It pays off to use the fireballs at arms length, so he can either eat the damage or shield/avoid it, which is where you have time to come in offensively.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You can't spam fireballs period. They're just not good for it. If someone like DiCE in Vyse's vids fought a G&W that read him well, the G&W would undoubtedly violate the guy. If you use them as an approach method ONLY, you have nothing to worry about. If the G&W does decide to bucket, you must be there to punish and not let it go to waste. The whole point of even risking using fireballs in this matchup, after all, is approach and punishment.

That's just bad spacing. G&W is not fast at all. If this happens often, spacing needs adjustment. This is the same problem presented with MK, but MK is much faster than G&W so properly spacing fireballs is infinitely more difficult. With MK, it's nearly unavoidable. With G&W, space properly and you're golden.

I do the same. But mostly, I look at it for what it is, i'll be KOed early either way. Might as well go all in. Rather then restricting my approaches into his favor.
My thoughts exactly.

Top Bottom