• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I See All" - Palutena Video Thread

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Promised some friendlies and I finally got around to using my El Gato a while ago so here is one of them.

Me vs Nicole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WHvYlMT5sM
Good matches I think, minus the SDs
Nicole seemed to heavily use the taser gun. Try to react to the animation and get out a reflect. You can even do it out of shield. Now, I understand if you're playing online (lag makes it harder to do thinks based on reaction). But if playing offline, there's no reason why she should be able to pressure your shield for free with the gun.

You're playing pretty solidly overall. I would recommend not pummeling when you get a grab because 1. Palutena's grabs are easy to break and 2. Throwing immediately reduces the opponent's chances for DI. If they miss the DI at low percent, you get a nair, which is more damage than fair. If they miss it at high percents, well, uair will finish them off nicely.

I noticed that you were having trouble punishing certain moves on shield (dash attack, side-b). Note that if you dash out of shield, you can punish both quite easily. Just make sure that you time the grab properly.

Matchup tips: Staying grounded is really good vs ZSS because otherwise she has some dash attack openings to catch you landing as well as potential up-b anti-airs on you coming down. Approach with shield but be ready to throw that reflect on reaction. Be careful spacing on landing in general because ZSS's grab (though slower than most) has added range and you will find yourself having to be wary of grabs because of the damage that they can lead to with uair strings.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I'm gonna assume mose of you havent tried your "spam reflect" theory against a ZSS in person?

Look at the time I used reflect @ 1:48

And look again @ 1:35, she does a perfectly spaced stun shot and if I HAD used, reflect?
I would have been hit in the face with a flip kick, which is a great kill move for those that are unaware.
She does this several times through out the set in fact.
ZSS has too little lag at the end of her prohectile and too much airspeed for reflect to be used constantly against her spaced projectiles.
Trust me on this, when I do end up reflecting it I often get hit by something, usually she has time to short hop z air, her airspeed is one of the best in the game.

And no, it wasn't online.

I definitely don't agree with this part, I'm not going to stand on the ground and spam reflect and hope a character as fast as ZSS allows openings for me to dash attack.
It seems like most people here have these "on paper" theories that don't ever actually work.
You guys should upload some replays of you effectively using reflect on ZSS frequently and I'll shut my mouth, but as of now I feel a very large amount of "advice" given here seems theorycrafted.
My brother mains Zero Suit. I've also been able to defeat proficient ZSS mains online extremely consistently (not much to brag about though, since you will rarely run into anyone on For Glory who can compete with a decent player). However, I would say that I understand that matchup quite well.

Obviously, you don't want to "spam" reflect. Note that I never said the word "spam" at all; I was more meticulous than that: I said "approach with shield and be ready to reflect on reaction". Readiness while micromanaging your spacing SO THAT you can punish bad shots (obviously there are some ranges at which reflect is not effective). However, you need to be aware of several ranges from which ZSS cannot safely gun. To simply throw out a reflect blindly from that range would lead to disaster in the long run; therefore, you have to pay careful attention to ZSS's animations, because potentially catching her with a point blank reflected shot into grab can be a big turn for the match.

Jumping is not "BAD" in the matchup. You have to strictly moderate your use of short hop in neutral, though, because ZSS's dash attack speed has the potential to plow through you either on jump startup or landing (all very spacing dependent, of course). Furthermore, ZSS's zair and nair will outprioritize you in the air; and, just to repeat my point from before, (because it's quite a threat) the dreaded up-b anti-air is real. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTtO9DJJ8p0

You stay on the ground in the matchup because ZSS's grounded moves are decently laggy. Her side-b can be dash grabbed out of shield. Her f-tilt/jabs can be challenged with dash attack if you read them. Rolls are easiest to punish if you're on the ground. And if ZSS jumps, you're best suited to capitalize if you're on the ground.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Well, here's the one game I went Palutena: http://youtu.be/0lsCb1lp1hg?t=24m53s
That was AWESOME

Just wondering could you explain why you decided to switch back to Diddy after that match?

When I checked out SW13 and saw you in the GF, I was really happy for you, even if you were playing mostly Diddy. But then I see you beat Denti easily with Palutena as well... was that Palutena match not a good example of you and Denti's relative skill? At first I thought you were doing much better because you switched to Diddy and reached the GF because of that. But then you body him with Palutena as well.

Did you just get even better overall or would you attribute it mostly to Diddy?

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
I've just started and plan to do a series of for glory videos where I mainly use Palutena but I'll be using other characters in later videos mainly since Palutena isnt a very used character
My channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWq0gBzrhCLHC5LGbv6G6rw
First time doing anything so I'll hopefully improve on my narrating and multitasking skills as I go on but hope you like this but hope you enjoy
Plus since this is the Palutena board you lot can give me plenty of tips as well ^^

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I've just started and plan to do a series of for glory videos where I mainly use Palutena but I'll be using other characters in later videos mainly since Palutena isnt a very used character
First time doing anything so I'll hopefully improve on my narrating and multitasking skills as I go on but hope you like this but hope you enjoy
Plus since this is the Palutena board you lot can give me plenty of tips as well ^^
Zero Suit Samus: You did really well! That U-smash read was amazing. There was only one thing I really noticed happening kind of a lot where I think you could improve the matchup: staying in shield while in range of ZSS's grab got you grabbed a few times. I would try to be wary of this and whenever you're in range of her be prepared to spot dodge and punish.

Villager: Very nice spacing and reaction time with your B-airs; you were able to follow up the D-throw->N-air combo with it, and stole one while landing as well. Once you got Villager off the stage, you didn't chase after him. There was a possibility to rack up more damage with an n-air and possibly even spike or stage spike at that moment. But yeah, really really great job, that match was awesome as well.

Don't be afraid of Villager's bowling ball. Ever. If you see him charging it, rush in and side-B it for a free kill.

C.Falcon: WOW really nice idea, punishing F-smash lag with an U-smash. That Falcon was kind of a joke lol

Palutena: omg. i don't want to comment on that palutena's "skills" in case that was anyone here lol

ROB: You started to get a little sloppy in the beginning of this match I think. only use Auto Reticule from a safe distance; when ROB was charging his f-smash, that would be a perfect time to AR (Or d-air from above). also don't throw dash attack out too much since it leaves you open.

Overall: You're doing very very well as far as i can see. Props for knowing EXACTLY when to use f-tilt every time you do. Overall I'd say maybe try to be a little bit less risky with Dash Attack and not use it when the opponent isn't vulnerable. Don't be afraid to use your reflector. Other than that just work on improving accuracy with d-throw combos

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
That was AWESOME

Just wondering could you explain why you decided to switch back to Diddy after that match?

When I checked out SW13 and saw you in the GF, I was really happy for you, even if you were playing mostly Diddy. But then I see you beat Denti easily with Palutena as well... was that Palutena match not a good example of you and Denti's relative skill? At first I thought you were doing much better because you switched to Diddy and reached the GF because of that. But then you body him with Palutena as well.

Did you just get even better overall or would you attribute it mostly to Diddy?
I would say that it's the combination of the two, but more because of Diddy; he is a strong character with a great punish game and strong, safe normals/mixups. As for the Palutena match, I felt I needed to mix things up, so I decided to play her. I switched back the next game afterwards because I felt Denti would adapt to my Palutena and I wouldn't do as well; I just wasn't confident in sticking with her afterwards. In retrospect, maybe I would have done better if I had stayed with that momentum I had with her.

Don't worry, this won't be the last time I use Palutena.

Last edited:

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I would say that it's the combination of the two, but more because of Diddy; he is a strong character with a great punish game and strong, safe normals/mixups. As for the Palutena match, I felt I needed to mix things up, so I decided to play her. I switched back the next game afterwards because I felt Denti would adapt to my Palutena and I wouldn't do as well; I just wasn't confident in sticking with her afterwards. In retrospect, maybe I would have done better if I had stayed with that momentum I had with her.

Don't worry, this won't be the last time I use Palutena.
Thanks for answering!! Glad to hear that!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Nice channel and videos. I definitely subscribed. Nice use of pivot f-tilt and f-tilt in general.

You seem good at matchups. Just a few general words of advice: try not to pummel or wait when you grab someone. D-throw immediately will minimize their opportunity for DI. Without DI, you have better combos available to you (low-mid percent: d-throw nair does the most damage if you hit with the full move; d-throw uair KOs very early, but only works if they don't DI away).

Otherwise, you will have less damage/KO chances (d-throw to fair is the only true combo if they DI).

You seem to have a good sense of when auto reticule will be safe. However, just try to be careful as a good player will capitalize heavily on unsafe AR usage. And I saw a few times when you could have been punished for using it had your opponent been more observant.

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
@ Maraphy Maraphy - Thank you very much for the tips and advice, I do find myself getting grabbed by tether users much more than I should be and its more than likely thanks to my bad habit of sitting in shield.
@ ChivalRuse ChivalRuse - Thanks again ^^ and on the dthrow top I noticed that and have started implementing and seeing the difference immediately when following up the throw

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w72NE9E_vYM&feature=youtu.be

Last match of a set I played with my friend, I made so many mistakes, too greedy for hits and KO's.

Any tips or critiques are appreciated, I need them, I so stuck on this MU right now.
I feel overall whenever he would grab momentum, you were too passive. As in always trying to air dodge and such, instead of occasionally trying to throw fairs/nairs at him. This allowed him to be super aggressive and push his advantage all the time when he got momentum because he felt really safe.

The biggest thing I saw though is your ledge guard game. You let him get up too easily and give him too much space. You also stand there very stiffly, making it less intimidating for him to get up. That combined with either you making mistakes or not reacting fast enough meant you couldn't punish him. You should do some SHs and shield dashing around so that it's hard for him to guess which get up to do, and if you get in the habit of that you can move in certain ways as to bait him into certain get ups.

If you're going to stand there, I would stand much closer to the edge, so that you can punish standing get up and attack get up. You can also punish a roll get up (which has a lot of ending lag) by simply turning around and walking slightly and grabbing. You can also punish air get up by jumping and nairing or other aerial.

You got a lot of good grabs in, but you didn't do as much as you could have with it. Around the second stock, when you were ahead at about 30% to his 100%: after getting a dthrow you should have been looking/planning to punish him, since he always airdodged. Actually at that percent, you wouldn't need to charge your smash (or much at all) to kill him. Since he never spammed air dodge immediately but did it after a slight delay (after seeing you jump I think), but he always did the air dodge late enough so that he would fall on the ground, I would have short hopped to get him to air dodge, and then after confirming his air dodge I would land back on the ground and upsmash him for the guaranteed kill, or if you feel he might DI away from it you can charge a dsmash slightly to try to punish both ways and it may kill if you hit him close enough.

In this case, I think a upsmash would have been the choice, since he probably wouldn't see it coming and from the previous throws he didn't DI much after the airdodge, and he is high enough percent that hitting him with a dsmash that might not kill (you don't have much rage) wouldn't really help asides from add some damage. Personally I would have gone for the kill because adding more damage would only make it easier for him to comeback, and it seemed like you would be able to get grabs pretty frequently. You could wait for his DI and then do a running upsmash thanks to the 22 frame landing lag.

Another little thing that relates to the passiveness when being pressured is that you could practice reacting faster to his dash approaches, be ready to jab, or if you can't react fast enough try to use the jab defense more just to keep him guessing.

Last edited:

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
Thanks for the response.

I never realized I played so passively, I think it was half fear of Diddy and just half just not knowing what to do. Next time I'll try out your advice, I have trouble reacting to stuff so I don't know if that's something I can fix with experience or if I'm just a bit slow in general.

Duelisti

Smash Rookie
Any tips or critiques are appreciated, I need them, I so stuck on this MU right now.
  • I can't stress enough how essential Jab is for Palutena, and you barely used it. Dat staff has saved me from Diddy's approaches countless times. It's hella satisfying to stop Monkey Flips effortlessly and follow up with grab.
  • Like you said, some of those smashes were way too careless. Can't recommend using them unless you're going for a punish or a hard read.
  • Don't Auto-Reticle a Diddy on neutral, it's not worth the risk unless you're certain he's going to Peanut Popgun or something.
  • Your Dash Attack is easily punished by shield grab on neutral. You might want to bait him to commit before you do.
  • Mix up your ledge recovery more.
  • Interrupting recoveries with AR is sometimes a nice option (especially to gimp Diddy's UpB), but it should never be your go-to edge guard tool.
    • If the monkey recovers from below, drop down and Nair/Bair/Dair (from best to worst, I'd say).
    • F-tilt is a cool option to stop Monkey Flips from the side. Fair also works.
    • Uair is self-explanatory.
    • There are many different possibilities, so don't be afraid to get your balls deep in there and experiment a bit.
  • Obvious Reflects are obvious. Mix it up with empty hops, SH Fairs and shield-stopping from dash, maybe even single Jabs or Dash Attack if you feel confident since both can deal with bananas.
  • Maintain your spacing at all times, be evasive and you just might survive.
I hope this helps. :3

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Thanks for the response.

I never realized I played so passively, I think it was half fear of Diddy and just half just not knowing what to do. Next time I'll try out your advice, I have trouble reacting to stuff so I don't know if that's something I can fix with experience or if I'm just a bit slow in general.
I have very slow reactions, and I think practice still makes a big difference. The more you practice, the less it becomes about reacting, and the more it becomes about just recognizing it. I guess it's still reacting, but the number of "steps" you have to go through in your brain is reduced.

So I think just
1) Practicing it a bit, to get the timing down
2) Focus throughout the entire match, every single moment and every frame
3) Keep in mind the opponent's options so that when you see it you won't be surprised

I used to have trouble with Falcon just running at me, but not anymore.

(My average reaction time is 0.30 seconds... with my best in about 50 tries being a 0.22... sucks for me)

Zediwonder

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZediWonder
3DS FC
5069-5322-3120
Thanks again for the tips, I've watched the video a lot and I can see all my mistakes in retrospect which is the worst. I'll try and remember everything next time I verse my friend, I'm not the best at reading my opponent so I tend to miss a lot of opportunities or react early to something I expect that doesn't come out. I'll keep practicing, my Toon Link is way better than my Palutena purely from experience so hopefully experience will put me at the same or higher level than I am with Toon link. Appreciate all the advice, makes learning a lot faster.

Edit: I suppose I should also mention I have trouble really focusing on the match in friendlies, I can't take it seriously, I need the pressure of a tournament match to get me to focus though that might just be a placebo feeling I have towards it, I just feel my performance while under pressure is a lot better than without pressure.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Some casuals I had at that Smashfest last Saturday.

Super Smash Bros casual set 1(2): http://youtu.be/RjO3JCqIW1I

Super Smash Bros casual set 1(1): http://youtu.be/FS5FdYPLXBw

Didn't get to use Palutena as much as I originally wanted to I'm afraid, and ran out of space on my phone too quickly to save anymore. I won pretty solidly in both videos, but I'm still looking for tip or advice again.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Errr Evolution of my Palu I suppose

1st Tournament Set: http://www.twitch.tv/hsvasl/c/5568262 vs Lemmy (ROB)
Latest Set @ KiT: http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp/v/3677187?t=5h26m46s vs Guiltyx9000(Falco)
Nice, you're pretty good!

Is Falco really that light or did he have bad DI? Your fair killed him on Town and City when he was at about 115% and you had about 95% rage. Yeah, that's quite a bit of rage, and he was slightly off the stage too, but that's cool that it can kill!

Last edited:

ddonaldo

Smash Journeyman
Some casuals I had at that Smashfest last Saturday.

Super Smash Bros casual set 1(2): http://youtu.be/RjO3JCqIW1I

Super Smash Bros casual set 1(1): http://youtu.be/FS5FdYPLXBw

Didn't get to use Palutena as much as I originally wanted to I'm afraid, and ran out of space on my phone too quickly to save anymore. I won pretty solidly in both videos, but I'm still looking for tip or advice again.
Always nice to see Palutena kick ***. ^^
I would personally suggest going for dsmash less, imo there are stronger and faster punishes in her aresnal. And if you land a nair to be in their faces more as you are generally put in a better position once you have fully connected that

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
@ Funkermonster Funkermonster : You seem to do set things at times, like you get tunnel vision with up-smash and continue to follow through with it when you could have reacted to your opponent landing behind you by just grabbing or even turning around and up-smashing.

Otherwise, you're choosing mostly the right options. I can't criticize you for much since changing your playstyle probably wouldn't make a difference vs those opponents. However, I would recommend moving around more on the ground with dash and also challenging airborne opponents with aerials. A few times Pit burned multiple double jumps above you while over the stage. You should throw out uairs or bairs to pressure into his space no matter where he is. If you let a player get comfortable without pressuring them, chances are they will play less nervous and do better as a result.

Last edited:

Skinutski

Smash Rookie
NNID
kinuski
3DS FC
0404-7270-8010
Hi. I recently got a chance to try out some 2312 in a local tourney. Now I can't help but consider it to be the definitive way to play Palutena. It's pretty fun to have some power for once, amidst dogs and monkeys.

Too bad that power sometimes claims my stocks as payment. I'll blame the stick for a while and work on it.
Any critique is welcome. I'm particularly interested in developing my ways to use the specials.

http://youtu.be/VT4X9mirHTE - VS Lucario
http://youtu.be/qTNUMaBwEQA - VS Hoo Hah
http://youtu.be/SvHef5L6MIg - VS Lucario, Samus

Last edited:

Vurky

k
NNID
Vurkyzo
Hi. I recently got a chance to try out some 2312 in a local tourney. Now I can't help but consider it to be the definitive way to play Palutena. It's pretty fun to have some power for once, amidst dogs and monkeys.

Too bad that power sometimes claims my stocks as payment. I'll blame the stick for a while and work on it.
Any critique is welcome. I'm particularly interested in developing my ways to use the specials.

http://youtu.be/VT4X9mirHTE - VS Lucario
http://youtu.be/qTNUMaBwEQA - VS Hoo Hah
http://youtu.be/SvHef5L6MIg - VS Lucario, Samus
Sup Diddy?:4palutena::troll:

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
I think when you're under someone who is shielding on the platforms in stages like Town & City, Smashville... jumping to use Reflect is kind of better than aerial moves since Reflect is unblockable :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Melonz

Smash Rookie
NNID
mangojet
Hi, I'm new to the boards and came here to get some help improving my palutena. I'm planning on attending evo and although I don't necessarily think I will win (nor come close) I want to represent palutena. I uploaded a few videos against one of my friends recently and was wondering if anyone could help me out on what I could improve on. Likewise, I would like to return the favor (once I get around to it) and help others out here too if they want advice from me.

Anyways, here are my videos (I think match 3 best represents my skill level atm, so if you want you can ignore the other 2):
(Delete the space after hhtp: )

Match 3: http: //youtu.be/ueONNwWoOzQ
Match 2: http: //youtu.be/ZCLvK0lx9Zo
Match 1: http: //youtu.be/Z0dke3PrDZU

I see people using nair after dthrow for damage, but personally I think forward air leaves you in a much better position simply because you can fast fall it after hit. I want to know what others times nair is good for (I see a lot of palutenas use it, but I don't find it very good myself even though many describe it as one of her best moves).

Last edited:

Ice Ninja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Iceninja77
Hi, I'm new to the boards and came here to get some help improving my palutena. I'm planning on attending evo and although I don't necessarily think I will win (nor come close) I want to represent palutena. I uploaded a few videos against one of my friends recently and was wondering if anyone could help me out on what I could improve on. Likewise, I would like to return the favor (once I get around to it) and help others out here too if they want advice from me.
Hey, welcome to smashboards.

Your spacing is pretty good for the most part but there are a lot of times where you could have been shield grabbed quite easily if you friend was more patient. It's a little hard to judge because your friend doesn't seem to be as skilled as you since they seem to throw out attacks at random a lot of the time. For example a lot of your fairs that were close range landed because he seemed to be tossing out move that he shouldn't have. There were a lot of instances where he could have just shielded it instead of throwing out a move and grabbed.

I do like that you have jab to down throw and you seem to know your combos out of down throw so that's good.

The other thing I would mention is to mix up your movement a bit more. Short hopping is good but shouldn't be done all the time due to landing lag whether you use an aerial or not. There were a some times when the Peach would have been able to shield your falling fair/bair and grab you. Dashing and going into shield is good to mix up from time to time and as Palutena you are really mobile so it's a little harder for opponents to grab you if you are unpredictable.

You've definitely got some good skill but it's a little hard to judge since your friend doesn't have as good a grasp of the fundamentals as you do. A lot of what you were doing was working but it would be good to make sure it works against someone as strong a player as yourself.

I see people using nair after dthrow for damage, but personally I think forward air leaves you in a much better position simply because you can fast fall it after hit. I want to know what others times nair is good for (I see a lot of palutenas use it, but I don't find it very good myself even though many describe it as one of her best moves).
I generally tend to use nair if the opponent DIs into it from down throw because at low percents, depending on the character, I can usually combo into a bair or uair. I also fast fall my nair so I generally get just as good a position if I were to do a fair.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Gonna call everyone's attention to this:

Dynamiitti IV Singles [w/ Customization] - Kinuski (Palutena) vs Loota (Lucario, Samus) GRAND FINALS

RIP Lucario

Edit: Oh, I didn't realize you already posted them haha. Great job ! I hope maybe people are *enticed* to start allowing custom tournaments. Or maybe this would scare them off...

Last edited:

Palutina

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jerkllandong1st

Lucario, Samus
I would avoid letting your ego take over much. There were a couple of stocks you lost cause you went for an under stage dive when you almost never have a legit reason to do so, especially as Palutena! Other than that, you were completely sick and really showed what Palutena can do!

F.u.j.i.n Souls 2

Banned via Warnings
LeT me try to post this again without getting bannedT...(Aerolink sis was that you???)

Here are my matches from Apex that I was able to record.

HBC | Scary(Sheik) vs Fujin(Lady Palutena) Apex 2015 Money Match

APEX 2015 Pools 6WX(Sonic) vs Fujin (Paletuna) game 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq4-G5CTmDs

First time fighting a Sonic, so I expected it not to go well.
Sonic is really good in this game, def a MU I need to work on and learn.

HBC | Scary(Sheik) vs Fujin(Lady Palutena) Apex 2015 Money Match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKkRVoECohY

Fun money match I did with HBC | Scary at apex, he helped me a lot with this match up, because I got no Sheiks in my area.

Reposting cause of wrong thread earlier.

Skinutski

Smash Rookie
NNID
kinuski
3DS FC
0404-7270-8010
I would avoid letting your ego take over much. There were a couple of stocks you lost cause you went for an under stage dive when you almost never have a legit reason to do so, especially as Palutena! Other than that, you were completely sick and really showed what Palutena can do!
Ah. Those dives were a result of failed warps on stage. It's a maneuver I love doing, it almost deserves it's own name. Unfortunately, Up-B actually means Side-B if you slip even a little. I made numerous silly SD's because I was stubborn about it. I shouldn't fail them so I'll keep doing it, but oops.

Customs in FG when

Top Bottom