• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I See All" - Palutena Video Thread

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I find that moving around a lot in and out of shield is helpful against characters that have good pressure capabilities. This forces them to get reads on you to land hits rather than just autopiloting with their typical pressure setups.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Bleh I'm not going to be much help considering I'm terrible vs Diddy. Although your opponent didn't side-b much, you were holding your own through some parts, and even took a game.

I almost want to tell you to use less tilts, but then again f-tilt can stuff approaches well if you react/read your opponent's angles and patterns well, and it's safer than f-smash. There are times when a tilt can be appropriate. They just suck so much lol.

The way that I play the matchup pretty much revolves around staying close to Diddy, trying to bait out rolls, and watching out for side-b so I can intercept with fair/bair. But it's definitely a struggle matchup.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uadNaEJl5v8&index=10&list=PLe4MJjNF1oM3TRpsqWrTHPin1tkQPY-IZ

heres the vid of me in GF
any help is welcomed and appreciated guys thanks
One thing I noticed is that you (or anyone else, really) don't use AR if you don't decide to take a risk when edgeguarding. The least you can do is add more % and bother him. Do it while jumping for a tricky angle on the shots.
Also, I know Palutena's D-throw is great, but you got very grab-happy. Use AR more if he doesn't have a banana in hand.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Grab generally succeeds because of two reasons: either you are punishing a move on your shield (dash out grab) or you get a read on your opponent's movement (rolls, bad aerials, whiffed tilts, etc.).

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Barely missed the livestream @ AeroLink_the_SoulMaster AeroLink_the_SoulMaster :(

But I am watching your games right now! Thankfully they casted a lot of you!

Really happy you're getting further and better. I noticed you're using short hopped dairs now. The mixups RUSHDOWN on Yoshi was awesome! Congrats on 4th!!!

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Nice patient play. Very careful and your moves are very calculated. Loved watching it!

Sorry no feedback really, too busy for that atm ^^ stupid exams
no problem! thank you for the compliments

Bleh I'm not going to be much help considering I'm terrible vs Diddy. Although your opponent didn't side-b much, you were holding your own through some parts, and even took a game.

I almost want to tell you to use less tilts, but then again f-tilt can stuff approaches well if you react/read your opponent's angles and patterns well, and it's safer than f-smash. There are times when a tilt can be appropriate. They just suck so much lol.

The way that I play the matchup pretty much revolves around staying close to Diddy, trying to bait out rolls, and watching out for side-b so I can intercept with fair/bair. But it's definitely a struggle matchup.
i really have to get this matchup down since i see nothing but pocket diddy's coming
i feel palutena can win though

One thing I noticed is that you (or anyone else, really) don't use AR if you don't decide to take a risk when edgeguarding. The least you can do is add more % and bother him. Do it while jumping for a tricky angle on the shots.
Also, I know Palutena's D-throw is great, but you got very grab-happy. Use AR more if he doesn't have a banana in hand.
i really don't use AR enough, im trying to incorporate in my game.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
Vs Cub (Yoshi)
- You should try using Counter on Egg Roll.
- Reflecting his eggs should almost always land a hit, if he uses them on the ground. They go back the same path they were thrown.
- Good job with the up smashes! I was surprised those landed, let alone killed.

Vs Critter (Ike)
- I think Counter would work wonders against an Ike that's not sweetspotting the ledge... though it seems the sword gets stuck under the ledge sometimes. Odd.
- When yo see him charging up smash when you're at the ledge, do a ledge jump... counter... instant... thing. You know, this: http://smashboards.com/threads/instant-ledge-hop-cancel-refurbished-at.381992/ I know you usually ledge drop to double jump counter sometimes (usually against Rosalina?) but try this instead. The timing is pretty strict, though.

Vs Denti (Diddy... sigh)
- I think you should listen to what Bwett-senpai said at the start of game 2.
- ...There's not much else to say. I'm not familiar with the match-up, and it's probably disasterful. I always play super defensively (out-zone him with AR and Reflect) against Diddy.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
- ...There's not much else to say. I'm not familiar with the match-up, and it's probably disasterful. I always play super defensively (out-zone him with AR and Reflect) against Diddy.
The problem is that you start losing those trades. Since peanut and banana lead to grabs and combos, Diddy will always output more damage than you can. I do think that reflect is good in the matchup, but auto reticle should be used almost never (except in some awkward edgeguard/recovery situations).

Diddy meta right now consists of peanut -> banana set up as their lead-in on fresh stocks. His best normal is d-tilt, so expect that move whenever you're within poking distance. As a mixup to his projectiles, he has side-b shenanigans; the attack has good priority and the grab is amazing for obvious reasons. His roll is godlike, so if you feel like you're putting even the slightest pressure on Diddy, expect him to roll. His quick ground speed makes dash grab setups easy, whether as punishment for you landing or out of shield, or simply to catch you on the sly. On top of everything, his fair and uair are amazing combo breakers.

I'm personally terrible vs the ground banana mechanics, but dash attacking them should pick them up, so I'd use that to break through Diddy's first tier of defenses if he gives you enough time. Obviously reflect can be used to reduce banana/peanut effectiveness, but the huge startup and lag afterward means you have to know the spacing for it. Oftentimes you're better going for a shield -> dash attack out of shield. Depending on how Diddy's deal with your reaction to bananas you will have to adapt, however.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wpax41DC_Y

SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD.

Dark Musician showed me this tech on skype. Your opponents are vulnerable on certain frames as soon as they grab the ledge in this game. Basically, you can hold the ledge and if your opponent is about to grab it, just hit Down then Jump and NAIR/DAir and you will catch and kill them.

Since your opponent doesn't get ledge invincibility until at least frame 2 (it might be later) after they grab the ledge, you can stage spike really easily against people. Huge deal for Palutena. I'm gonna mess around with this in training mode later this week.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wpax41DC_Y

SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD.

Dark Musician showed me this tech on skype. Your opponents are vulnerable on certain frames as soon as they grab the ledge in this game. Basically, you can hold the ledge and if your opponent is about to grab it, just hit Down then Jump and NAIR/DAir and you will catch and kill them.

Since your opponent doesn't get ledge invincibility until at least frame 2 (it might be later) after they grab the ledge, you can stage spike really easily against people. Huge deal for Palutena. I'm gonna mess around with this in training mode later this week.
Ah, so it's not just Palutena's warp being weird? I thought it was just that she was vulnerable before she the move actually finished and that's why people kept hitting me even though I should have grabbed the stage.

Well, awesome! More ways to keep the opponent off the stage and to keep things intense is cool. Smash 4's edge game is very fun, but I also really like how it was harder to recover in Melee and you could often get a quick, clean kill (and that you can't just keep relying on snapping to the edge). This reminds me of that.

Last edited:

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
Vs Cub (Yoshi)
- You should try using Counter on Egg Roll.
- Reflecting his eggs should almost always land a hit, if he uses them on the ground. They go back the same path they were thrown.
- Good job with the up smashes! I was surprised those landed, let alone killed.

Vs Critter (Ike)
- I think Counter would work wonders against an Ike that's not sweetspotting the ledge... though it seems the sword gets stuck under the ledge sometimes. Odd.
- When yo see him charging up smash when you're at the ledge, do a ledge jump... counter... instant... thing. You know, this: http://smashboards.com/threads/instant-ledge-hop-cancel-refurbished-at.381992/ I know you usually ledge drop to double jump counter sometimes (usually against Rosalina?) but try this instead. The timing is pretty strict, though.

Vs Denti (Diddy... sigh)
- I think you should listen to what Bwett-senpai said at the start of game 2.
Thanks for the input; I'll keep these in mind. I'm in the process of learning the Diddy Kong matchup.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
One of the better answers to Palutena is shielding her aerials and acting out of shield. We need to start utilizing that unblockable reflect in anticipation of this.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Just Videos of me on For Glory, since I've got nobody to practice with elsewhere.

vs. :4pacman:(I play Pac-Man a lot so I kinda knew how to counter the other guy's habits)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isD1K8V2bss&index=7&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :132: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7maqDuWupKQ&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=15
vs. :4megaman:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Ruej-x3iA&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=13
vs. :4dedede:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af70vjGrWHo&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=12

Any tips would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Just Videos of me on For Glory, since I've got nobody to practice with elsewhere.

vs. :4pacman:(I play Pac-Man a lot so I kinda knew how to counter the other guy's habits)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isD1K8V2bss&index=7&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ
vs. :132: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7maqDuWupKQ&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=15
vs. :4megaman:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6Ruej-x3iA&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=13
vs. :4dedede:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af70vjGrWHo&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=12

Any tips would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.
I just took a quick look at the Palutena ditto, and I saw wayyy too much rolling. Use shield dashing for your main movement. Also if you miss a grab, get out of the habit of tunnel visioning into trying to grab again, it's too obvious. Work on your reactions as well so you don't miss as many grabs. Don't just run at your opponent and expect him to let you grab him, unless he's actually close enough or he whiffed something. Your dash grab makes you so vulnerable if you miss it.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I just took a quick look at the Palutena ditto, and I saw wayyy too much rolling. Use shield dashing for your main movement. Also if you miss a grab, get out of the habit of tunnel visioning into trying to grab again, it's too obvious. Work on your reactions as well so you don't miss as many grabs. Don't just run at your opponent and expect him to let you grab him, unless he's actually close enough or he whiffed something. Your dash grab makes you so vulnerable if you miss it.
Just to comment on the rolling thing: You're right, I kinda noticed that already from when I was recording it. You gotta admit though, my opponent was also rolling a lot too, and I didn't really know what to do about it due to my unfamiliarity with Palutena (although I did punish with a few dash attacks knowing she was gonna do it), since I don't know what moves are most useful for punishing rolls. When they're rolling far away from me or sometimes in front of me, I panic a little less. When they roll when they're already so close to me, especially when rolling behind me; that's when I freak out and hit the panic button and start rolling myself; since because I don't know enough about my own character, I dunno how to counter it. Another reason I keep rolling is because I'm scared of getting grabbed myself & can't stop hitting panic button (especially when facing a character who can combo or kill from their throws like Diddy or another Palutena), and I keep forgetting I have a spotdodge...

I think most of that goes in hand with my unfamiliarity with Lady Palutena, especially because it was a ditto. Ho can I properly put this: Since I was fighting myself after all, I was fearing that the guy might know something about Palutena I don't and could take advantage of it. We're the same character with the same options, and that guy could've easily known her better than I did, which prompted me to hit the Panic Button and do all that excessive Rolling and Dash Grabbing (although I typically have a problem with Dash Grabbing in general, not just with Palutena). In the King Dedede Match, even though I don't play that character, I find D3 players very common online, and I found reading this guy to be a lot easier than in the ditto match, and I think that was my best game in terms of how well I played.. I noticed the other guy was constantly using D-tilt way too much, misusing his Gordos, and he was rolling quite a bit too (I know that D3's roll is terirble cuz its slow and travels a short distance so I could punish him more easily); so I rolled a bit less often and punished his mistakes the most often, although I mistimed a Counter at one point against his incoming Usmash, and got killed for it. You see where I'm going with all this?

Thanks anyway though.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Just to comment on the rolling thing: You're right, I kinda noticed that already from when I was recording it. You gotta admit though, my opponent was also rolling a lot too, and I didn't really know what to do about it due to my unfamiliarity with Palutena (although I did punish with a few dash attacks knowing she was gonna do it), since I don't know what moves are most useful for punishing rolls. When they're rolling far away from me or sometimes in front of me, I panic a little less. When they roll when they're already so close to me, especially when rolling behind me; that's when I freak out and hit the panic button and start rolling myself; since because I don't know enough about my own character, I dunno how to counter it. Another reason I keep rolling is because I'm scared of getting grabbed myself & can't stop hitting panic button (especially when facing a character who can combo or kill from their throws like Diddy or another Palutena), and I keep forgetting I have a spotdodge...

I think most of that goes in hand with my unfamiliarity with Lady Palutena, especially because it was a ditto. Ho can I properly put this: Since I was fighting myself after all, I was fearing that the guy might know something about Palutena I don't and could take advantage of it. We're the same character with the same options, and that guy could've easily known her better than I did, which prompted me to hit the Panic Button and do all that excessive Rolling and Dash Grabbing (although I typically have a problem with Dash Grabbing in general, not just with Palutena). In the King Dedede Match, even though I don't play that character, I find D3 players very common online, and I found reading this guy to be a lot easier than in the ditto match, and I think that was my best game in terms of how well I played.. I noticed the other guy was constantly using D-tilt way too much, misusing his Gordos, and he was rolling quite a bit too (I know that D3's roll is terirble cuz its slow and travels a short distance so I could punish him more easily); so I rolled a bit less often and punished his mistakes the most often, although I mistimed a Counter at one point against his incoming Usmash, and got killed for it. You see where I'm going with all this?

Thanks anyway though.
Asides from dash attack, I find that short hopping backwards is really great vs players who roll a lot. Because they'll often roll towards you, and you'll be in perfect position to fair them or grab them.

Panicing is understandable, if that was the case and if they are close to you (specifically you're caught with your back facing them) and you're in a situation you're unfamiliar with, try to stay still and short jump bair, or just jump backwards over them.
The short hop bair option is really awesome. If they try to jump, you'll hit them, forcing them to stay on the ground. If they try to grab or jab, you'll have jumped over them (hopefully, only case is if they do it too fast before you can jump high enough). Palutena's bair makes this option especially good since it clanks/outprioritizes everything they can throw out if they try to contest you in the air.
If you jump in this kind of situation instead of rolling, you'll either get out of the situation or they'll grab/jab you before you get to jump, ending the situation anyways. This is probably a favorable outcome due to simply minimizing the amount of panic time and getting it over with (if you roll away you might be safe for a second, but if he rolls that way too and you're both panicing then it might not be a desirable situation and ruin your concentration/control of the game).

Last edited:

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Asides from dash attack, I find that short hopping backwards is really great vs players who roll a lot. Because they'll often roll towards you, and you'll be in perfect position to fair them or grab them.
Ignore the post that I made here before. It was for a different character.

I agree that Palutena's empty SH is good for catching rolls. Depending on the spacing, sometimes d-air is preferable over fair for catching the end of the roll.

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
It took a while but I updated the first post with everything. phew lol

@ Funkermonster Funkermonster The link to your megaman friendly vid doesn't work

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Would you say this video guide of Palutena is reliable? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzIyQYnfVI

Jtails is a pretty popular youtuber, a seemlngly high-level player, and a lot of people in the comments praised his video; but he himself stated here that he doesn't really use Palutena all that and doesn't know much about her. He did pretty nicely in the following for glory video and Jtails' channel is amazing though.

You might have seen earlier in my videos above that I posted awhile back, I suck with this character and am trying to get better. But even though I'm hardly competent when playing her myself and am not even half the player Jtails is, I'm not so sure I should depend on a guide from a guy who hardly uses her.. so I thought I'd get an input from the people who do main her. Commenting on my videos I posted awhile ago also helps me a ton too (besides the ditto, already got criticized on that one), since I'm not able to get any new ones.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Would you say this video guide of Palutena is reliable? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QzIyQYnfVI

Jtails is a pretty popular youtuber, a seemlngly high-level player, and a lot of people in the comments praised his video; but he himself stated here that he doesn't really use Palutena all that and doesn't know much about her. He did pretty nicely in the following for glory video and Jtails' channel is amazing though.

You might have seen earlier in my videos above that I posted awhile back, I suck with this character and am trying to get better. But even though I'm hardly competent when playing her myself and am not even half the player Jtails is, I'm not so sure I should depend on a guide from a guy who hardly uses her.. so I thought I'd get an input from the people who do main her. Commenting on my videos I posted awhile ago also helps me a ton too (besides the ditto, already got criticized on that one), since I'm not able to get any new ones.
It's a nice beginner's "competitive" guide to Palutena, as he says. Not that it's a high level guide but it's targetted at those who haven't really dabbled into competitive stuff and want to know how to play Palutena from a competitive perspective.

So no, it's not a good guide for a competive player. He gives some decent thoughts on her since he's just a good and experienced player, but it's only good for low level players. He's not familiar with her and a lot of the things he says are wrong or very questionable.

The FG videos aren't that great either but are still a pretty good resource to study, since he is basically giving a play by play commentary. Not that everything he is doing is a good option, but it's useful to examine how he's playing and adapting.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero

Watch Zero's For Glory episode with Dark Pit. He talks about how the main play style with Pit is to use his fast, long dash along with his grab.

You can basically adapt this strategy seamlessly to Palutena. Her playstyle is all about mixing in dash to shield and fox trotting. Occasionally you'll throw out a SH fair or dair if the spacing calls for it, but Palutena's all about the grabs.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
(Probably) Going to a smashfest tonight for casuals and a tournament tomorrow, with more casuals. I won't be using :4palutena: in the tourney since that would be suicidal for me, as I am still not adequate with her, but I will focus on her for tonight at casuals and bring my phone so I can record my matches there. Will probably have new videos to upload by tomorrow.

Will also check out ZeRo's guide and keep looking for more, thanks for the guidance.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I agree Palutena and Pit are pretty similar, particularly in being fast and being able to just weave in and out with grabs. However I do feel like Dark Pit's grab is better in a lot of ways, allowing him to play mostly based on grabs while with Palutena you can't. I'm not sure what it exactly is with Dark Pit's grab, but it just feels really good, even though it average ish range. I don't know if it's the range, the grab animation, speed, low lag, or what, but it just feels a lot better than Palutena's dash grab. Maybe it's that his pummel DPS is really high so that each grab does a lot of work and you can go grab heavy even if you get punished/read sometimes. Maybe a combination.

Good luck Pika Kong!

Last edited:

NovemberMan

Smash Apprentice
...I might be exaggerating, but my heart was racing out of shock when I saw that match. I wonder if this was done deliberately just to throw Denti off for an MU loop after consistent Diddy dittos. But yeah, too bad it was only one match. Maybe he feared that Denti would retaliate or something. It was pretty cool though, and Denti's reaction was priceless - to me, anyway.

Top Bottom