• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I support the idea of an Xbox all-star fighter, but I don't really like the idea of making it another Smash clone. I think that path has already been trodden to death and I'd find it much more interesting if Microsoft would take the high road by making it a Power Stone-style fighter. I keep saying that a proper competitive Power Stone-style fighter has yet to be done and has some seriously untapped potential, and I think that's what they should do if they end up making one. After all, there is already a precedent set for it with Fusion Frenzy on the original Xbox, another Microsoft-developed game.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I support the idea of an Xbox all-star fighter, but I don't really like the idea of making it another Smash clone. I think that path has already been trodden to death and I'd find it much more interesting if Microsoft would take the high road by making it a Power Stone-style fighter. I keep saying that a proper competitive Power Stone-style fighter has yet to be done and has some seriously untapped potential, and I think that's what they should do if they end up making one. After all, there is already a precedent set for it with Fusion Frenzy on the original Xbox, another Microsoft-developed game.
I'd rather them not go for a "Powerstone" style game. Smash Bros basically created it's own sub genre. It really should be a 2D Brawler like Smash Bros.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
What about a 3rd Person Hero Shooter type of game? Microsoft's got an unusually high amount of gun-toting characters even with Banjo (remember the shooter segments in Tooie?); have it something like that--closer to Unreal Tournament than Overwatch but each character has their own moveset mapped to the same buttons. That way, they can literally have the 1st All Star Crossover Shooter while Smash stays as THE All Star Fighter. They won't come off as trying to be a wannabe Smash Bros like Sony and they can break new ground. With most series getting 2 characters, I can see the roster as this:

Master Chief, The Arbiter
Marcus Phoenix, JD Phoenix
Banjo and Kazooie
(Kazooie's the rifle like in Tooie), Mumbo Jumbo (he uses his staff like Mingy Jongo)
Totally Screwed (Sunset Overdrive's main character)
Ori and Sein (Sein provides the projectiles, Ori is the nimble adversary)
Guy from Crackdown (known as the Agent), Agent 2
Conker
(a very big gun user to begin with), a Tediz (from Live and Reloaded's multiplayer classes)
Sea of Thieves Pirate (using pirate-y firearms)
Cuphead (another nimble guy), Mughead (a semi-clone with unique shots)
2 Separate fighters from Killer Instinct, but projectile-friendly like:
  • Aria (A mech with a drone and close-range shotgun blasts)
  • Fulgore (laser beams count in this case)
  • Sadira (a trap character that shoots webs to both move around and immobilize foes)
  • Glacius (an ice-throwing character that can also set traps that trigger ice spikes to erupt)
  • Omen (an orb-wielding foe that probably provides status effects)
  • Maya (throwing knives)
Juno from Jet Force Gemini (Retro character), Vela

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
What about a 3rd Person Hero Shooter type of game? Microsoft's got an unusually high amount of gun-toting characters even with Banjo (remember the shooter segments in Tooie?); have it something like that--closer to Unreal Tournament than Overwatch but each character has their own moveset mapped to the same buttons. That way, they can literally have the 1st All Star Crossover Shooter while Smash stays as THE All Star Fighter. They won't come off as trying to be a wannabe Smash Bros like Sony and they can break new ground. With most series getting 2 characters, I can see the roster as this:

Master Chief, The Arbiter
Marcus Phoenix, JD Phoenix
Banjo and Kazooie
(Kazooie's the rifle like in Tooie), Mumbo Jumbo (he uses his staff like Mingy Jongo)
Totally Screwed (Sunset Overdrive's main character)
Ori and Sein (Sein provides the projectiles, Ori is the nimble adversary)
Guy from Crackdown (known as the Agent), Agent 2
Conker
(a very big gun user to begin with), a Tediz (from Live and Reloaded's multiplayer classes)
Sea of Thieves Pirate (using pirate-y firearms)
Cuphead (another nimble guy), Mughead (a semi-clone with unique shots)
2 Separate fighters from Killer Instinct, but projectile-friendly like:
  • Aria (A mech with a drone and close-range shotgun blasts)
  • Fulgore (laser beams count in this case)
  • Sadira (a trap character that shoots webs to both move around and immobilize foes)
  • Glacius (an ice-throwing character that can also set traps that trigger ice spikes to erupt)
  • Omen (an orb-wielding foe that probably provides status effects)
  • Maya (throwing knives)
Juno from Jet Force Gemini (Retro character), Vela
Oh No! Absolutely not! Turning it into a shooter (First or Third Person) would be about the worst thing you could do! It would limit characters and items far too much and would be a poor representation of each characters move sets.

A fighting game is far better at showcasing actual abilities and you can see all 4 (or more) characters on screen at once. It would also allow for more character and item options.

Not to mention the problems with the varying hit boxes could cause. In Halo 4; Elites were removed due to their body types. Imagine how little certain characters would be played if they were to easy to hit?

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Oh No! Absolutely not! Turning it into a shooter (First or Third Person) would be about the worst thing you could do! It would limit characters and items far too much and would be a poor representation of each characters move sets.

A fighting game is far better at showcasing actual abilities and you can see all 4 (or more) characters on screen at once. It would also allow for more character and item options.

Not to mention the problems with the varying hit boxes could cause. In Halo 4; Elites were removed due to their body types. Imagine how little certain characters would be played if they were to easy to hit?
LMAO, those are legit drawbacks I gotta admit. It's a rough concept for sure, but with some tweaks it could MAAAYBE turn heads, like every character gets 2 or 3 unique firearms from their series while letting them use items for a 4th slot, and give them some melee attacks/weapons that's unique to them so we still get showcases of their abilities.

Characters could have their individual speeds, stats, unique weapons and movement options; Banjo having a flutter jump, Chief having a Spartan Boost/Shield Recharge, Ori using enemy bullets to get too close to his foes, etc. With hitboxes, the easier to hit characters like Marcus could have a higher HP since he's heavily armored and moves like a rhino anyway, while Ori and Cuphead would be so nimble that they can't really take much enemy fire to begin with. Each character could have at least 2 signature guns/projectiles from their series with their own damage outputs, so while everyone's got a gun, nobody has the same gun being used on wildly shaped targets. I could see Totally Screwed using some over-the-top weapons but having to stay mobile due to being a normal-sized but fragile fighter. So some characters would excel at damage outputs (Totally Screwed), some at skirmishing (Ori), others at shootouts (Master Chief) and whatnot. Maps would need some sort of radar so you at least know where other players are regardless of size, and they have some battlegrounds suited for 1v1, 2v2, etc

It's a raw idea overall that would need TONS of effort to work well, but at the end of the day Killer Instinct is becoming more of the Microsoft All Star Fighter anyways, since they've got a Battletoad, someone from Gears of War, and someone from Halo already. And to be 100% honest I really appreciate this feedback! Some don't take kindly to negative reception but I welcome that over no replies any day of the year. Thank you for giving it thought and pointing out the flaws; I consider myself an Ideas Guy and I always want feedback, so I hope my replies didn't come off as me aggressively debating your points.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I don't know how it didn't occur to me earlier but MC needs to be in for the Halo theme alone.
OMG I know! Just imagine that slow operatic beginning... They slowly pan over a vast barren landscape where we see a lone armored solider walking slowly holding an assault rifle. Everything goes dark and he slowly turns, and we see the Smash emblem reflected in Master Chief's visor.. Cue the badass rock.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Master Chief being playable would be Earth-shattering along the lines of Sonic and Mega Man in terms if hype and Cloud in terms of sheer disbelief. Just imagine hearing that iconic Halo theme to his announcement...

It seems unlikely, and though it could potentially benefit Microsoft, too, it would feel more like a coupt for Nintendo to have him.

If there is any sliver of hope, it's that Microsoft has had their opportunities to put Master Chief in a fighting game in the past, but went with an unknown Spartan in Dead or Alive (sic) and a supporting player with The Arbiter in Killer Instinct. Just perhaps they were saving him for something...bigger.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Master Chief being playable would be Earth-shattering along the lines of Sonic and Mega Man in terms if hype and Cloud in terms of sheer disbelief. Just imagine hearing that iconic Halo theme to his announcement...

It seems unlikely, and though it could potentially benefit Microsoft, too, it would feel more like a coupt for Nintendo to have him.

If there is any sliver of hope, it's that Microsoft has had their opportunities to put Master Chief in a fighting game in the past, but went with an unknown Spartan in Soul Caliber and a supporting player with The Arbiter in Killer Instinct. Just perhaps they were saving him for something...bigger.
It wasn't Soul Calibur. It was Dead or Alive. The character was Spartan 458 Nicole.

I'd still much prefer Xbox getting their own version of Smash Bros. And no, Killer instinct doesn't count. That is a more traditional 1v1 fighting game. It'd be better to have 4 players.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'd still much prefer Xbox getting their own version of Smash Bros.
I fully understand why it's not going to happen and why Microsoft and Nintendo would rather have their own things, but I just don't get the thinking that a fan wouldn't rather keep their favourite series separate.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
And no, Killer instinct doesn't count. That is a more traditional 1v1 fighting game. It'd be better to have 4 players.
It doesn't count because it's not a 4 player game? Like it or not the game's pulling in content from big Microsoft franchises and is their defacto crossover fighter. Do you overlook the Marvel/Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom games because they're one (player) Vs one (player), and thus disregarding the All-Star aspect?

If you'll only take a 4-player fighter you run the risk of it being a straight up party game, and as I'm sure you've read on this site, Smash has a hard enough time walking that tightrope already. And as you've seen with its ripoffs, Smash is the only one that succeeds.

Do you want them to make their own type of All Star Crossover fighter and forge their own path, or do you want a blatant Smash clone that'd face the same fate as Sony's? Just to have 117, Marcus, Banjo and Cuphead on the screen together?

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
It doesn't count because it's not a 4 player game? Like it or not the game's pulling in content from big Microsoft franchises and is their defacto crossover fighter. Do you overlook the Marvel/Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom games because they're one (player) Vs one (player), and thus disregarding the All-Star aspect?

If you'll only take a 4-player fighter you run the risk of it being a straight up party game, and as I'm sure you've read on this site, Smash has a hard enough time walking that tightrope already. And as you've seen with its ripoffs, Smash is the only one that succeeds.

Do you want them to make their own type of All Star Crossover fighter and forge their own path, or do you want a blatant Smash clone that'd face the same fate as Sony's? Just to have 117, Marcus, Banjo and Cuphead on the screen together?
Killer Instinct isn't a crossover game. That's what I meant. Each Microsoft character is a guest. Killer Instinct was never meant to be a Crossover game and it isn't.

Also, if Microsoft went with a standard 1 v 1 it wouldn't mean much. It would be seen as any other fighter. Possibly a "rip off" of other standard fighting crossover games. If it became like like Powerstone it would still be considered a "rip off" of that too. I don't see why Microsoft shouldn't go with the sub genre where it can best stretch it's legs.

Also, as I've said before going with a Crossover shooter would be too limiting.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Killer Instinct isn't a crossover game. That's what I meant. Each Microsoft character is a guest. Killer Instinct was never meant to be a Crossover game and it isn't.
Hence my phrasing of "defacto crossover fighter." When it was just the Arbiter it didn't mean much beyond a surprising guest from their biggest franchise; when RAAM charged in people started sensing a pattern, and now that Rash made it in too Killer Instinct is starting to move into that All Star direction despite starting as a traditional fighter. Again, it's pulling in content from big Microsoft IPs and a well-liked retro series; it's currently the closest they have to the All-Star fighter and if there's a new KI planned for the future they'll no doubt dip into other franchises for characters.

Also, if Microsoft went with a standard 1 v 1 it wouldn't mean much. It would be seen as any other fighter. Possibly a "rip off" of other standard fighting crossover games. If it became like like Powerstone it would still be considered a "rip off" of that too. I don't see why Microsoft shouldn't go with the sub genre where it can best stretch it's legs.
So let's look at all the other 1v1 fighters. Are you saying that Killer Instinct, Marvel vs Capcom, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Dragon Ball Fighter Z and Persona etc don't have anything going for them because they're not 4-Player? Like I said before, you run the risk of getting a party game if you go through with the SSB route, and as the clones in the next paragraph show, Smash is the only successful series that caters to the fighting and party crowd with maybe the exception of Aether.

Now let's look at Power Stone. The last one came out in 2000 not counting the remake; if we pretend that Microsoft goes in that direction and has a game releasing this year, they'd be copying a game that came out at least 18 years ago. In the 19 years that Power Stone's existed, we've only got 2 games from Capcom. Compare that to SSB which also came out in 1999; in the 19 years that this game existed we've had 4 games (5 if you wanna count 3DS as separate) with a 5th (or 6th) game due this year. That's 4 or 5 games that: Created it's own subgenre, became the biggest crossover fighter of all time, brings Nintendo millions of dollars with each installment, is a guaranteed system seller no matter what, and --most importantly for this discussion-- has spawned dozens of clones already, such as Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion, TMNT Smash Up, Rivals of Aether, Kung Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends, and of course PSASBR. A Microsoft clone would just add to that pile. How many Power Stone clones are out there? How big is Power Stone for this hypothetical Xbox clone to be dismissed as such? When it comes to fighters, Capcom's got MvC and Street Fighter raking in the money, not Power Stone.

You seem to want them to take the Smash route despite Sony failing at it and countless fanatics and cynics setting this hypothetical game up to fail, when they could take it in their own direction that's not half-baked like PSASBR. If we're gonna hope for a Smash clone with one of the biggest gaming characters ever, we might as well just put Chief in Smash so he can stand beside the rest of the icons.
Also, as I've said before going with a Crossover shooter would be too limiting.
Honestly, I didn't even realize you were the same user from before and I've forgotten all about that Shooter Idea I've pitched. As far as I cared I suggested something, it got it's 15 seconds in the spotlight and the discussion moved on smoothly. I doubt they would make a shooter and have no hope that they will. It was simply a thought experiment that's not meant to take off and has no effect on my replies to you now. And while I'm being more formal with you this time I do not intend for these rebuttals to come off as me aggressively countering you.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I'm just going to say that I'd prefer it to be more like Smash Bros and Playstation Allstars. In my opinion it would work better if it was more of a party fighter than a traditional fighter. People don't care what genre they'd use it would still be labeled a rip off. Even if you did the "Powerstone" style game it'd still be labeled a rip off. All people care about when a Xbox Crossover is discussed is how it would rip off Smash Bros just because it'd exists. Trying to find some niche genre so it wouldn't "copy" Smash Bros won't matter. Traditional or otherwise.

Edit: I want to apologize if I came off as hostile. I've been wanting a Xbox Smash Bros style game for years. I really think it could be amazing.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm just going to say that I'd prefer it to be more like Smash Bros and Playstation Allstars. In my opinion it would work better if it was more of a party fighter than a traditional fighter. People don't care what genre they'd use it would still be labeled a rip off. Even if you did the "Powerstone" style game it'd still be labeled a rip off. All people care about when a Xbox Crossover is discussed is how it would rip off Smash Bros just because it'd exists. Trying to find some niche genre so it wouldn't "copy" Smash Bros won't matter. Traditional or otherwise.

Edit: I want to apologize if I came off as hostile. I've been wanting a Xbox Smash Bros style game for years. I really think it could be amazing.
No worries I didn't get any hostile vibes. We disagree but it's not a big deal. I used Power Stone as an example since someone else used it but I don't want a copy and would rather have a fighter that does its own thing. But hey, opinions.

PsychoJosh

More rumors are coming to light about Microsoft being involved in the next Smash. Two people have come out saying that Microsoft will be involved.

So what do you guys think of the likelihood that we'll see Microsoft's lead gaming mascot the Master Chief in Smash?

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
In a (personal, somewhat semi-realistic) best case scenario I see Banjo Kazooie and Chief as playable characters and then that side rumor of a Mine Craft level stays at a level and trophies.

Before including a playable Chief, Sakurai would probably consider;
-Halo's popularity worldwide, impact, wether or not he is a worldwide icon (he is, but i'm not sure if Halo was popular in Japan)
-whether or not he should be THE fps fighter in the game, next to THE JRPG guy and THE fighting game guy
-Whether or not he should choose Chief, Banjo or Steve (Sakurai may go for 2, but not all 3. All 3 are vastly different and I can easily picture Sakurai going for any of them)

Even if we get say, Banjo but no playable Chief, we could see halo trophies, and a MC mii gunner/ arbiter mii swordfighter like how we saw Tekken and Virtua Fighter mii outfits for dlc from Sega and Namco.

Though, if we got Chief, he would be THE hype character to end all hype characters. Even if it's dlc, Here's to hoping to him and Banjo making it in.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I feel like Master Chief would be a so big megaton and astonishing choice (even more than Snake, Cloud and Bayo together) that he would make sense only in the vanilla game, not as dlc: his reveal at E3 would make internet literally goes down for days and the hype for this Smash would raise toward the stars.

But exactly because he is so diverse and out of the box, (even if these qualities would be ultra fitting for a majestic E3 presentation for the vanilla game), for a dlc I feel they would sound quite out of place. The effect wouldn't be equally strong and good imo

Btw, I'm all for Master Chief as PC with a stage and some of the superb ost of Halo, and Minecraft as a stage and maybe items/enemies/Assist Trophy

Master Chief in Smash was a dream of mine of some years ago, but I never thought it could be possible. Now that rumor doesn't sound too much weird to me, tho

More rumors are coming to light about Microsoft being involved in the next Smash. Two people have come out saying that Microsoft will be involved.

So what do you guys think of the likelihood that we'll see Microsoft's lead gaming mascot the Master Chief in Smash?
the problem is: Marcus Sellars isn't trustworthy at all

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Hmm... I accept a playable Chief for the music alone. Add one supporter.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
My early adolescent years were spent playing multiplayer on both Smash and Halo with my friends. I also played online Halo at its peak (yes yes I was once a squeaker). Tower of Power on Ascension, anyone?

The possibility of these two games combining together would be...odd but probably amazing to my young self. A part of me thinks it would not work out well, but realizing that Chief has an arsenal of weapons that could be very unique makes me not care: Assault Rifle for short range burts, Battle Rifle for long range cover.

Frag grenades for a blast that covers a zone and with increased. Stickies for the stick. If it misses it can still cover an area with an explosion.

I do not want post-H3 content in but the jets are the only things that work for a recovery. Unless I am forgetting something...

For a final smash you cannot do worse than rockets! Or hell, have Arbiter or Johnson drive us around in a warthog as we use the turret.

But man the content from Halo I'd love is the music and the stage. Both so atmospheric and beautiful but poignant.

Last edited:

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Even as somebody who's never played Halo much at all, Master Chief was always the one crazy character who I thought would be really cool even though it would never happen. Now that 4 had Cloud and Microsoft has been getting more friendly with Nintendo, I'm gonna say that it's fully possible now. Likely? Probably not, but it would be pretty earth shattering to see the Master Chief finally be able to fight Samus. And like a few other people have already said, having any version of the Halo theme in Smash would be beyond awesome.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I'm not too swayed by rumours, and even if they were true I'd consider it far more likely that they be for Steve rather than Master Chief (or Banjo & Kazooie). That said having one character opens the floodgates. I'd say it gets me hopeful but I'm really trying not to get my hopes up with only a week to go.

PsychoJosh

Steve is not likely in the slightest. Sakurai would probably hate having to work on him.

Master Chief is Microsoft's lead gaming mascot, essentially the Mario to their business. He would be a megaton reveal that would resonate with a lot of gamers. Steve is not, he's just a flavor of the month character from a game mostly enjoyed by little kids and ingrained in educational cirriculum. He is more like the Wii Fit Trainer of Microsoft.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Sakurai would probably hate having to work on him.
Lol, I suppose you speak to him about his developement habits regularly?

Steve is not, he's just a flavor of the month character
Release date: 17 May 2009

Or are you referring to people bringing up his potential for Smash? To which I ask how often people were talking about Master Chief's potential before the Cloud reveal?

Master Chief is certainly a megaton reveal, you're right that a lot of gamers love him. Same goes for Steve. Minecraft merch doesn't sell because people love boxes and pixels.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Steve is not, he's just a flavor of the month character from a game mostly enjoyed by little kids and ingrained in educational cirriculum. He is more like the Wii Fit Trainer of Microsoft.
Minecraft is anything but flavour of the month hence it's strong staying power and the audience that plays it is hardly an issue.
Nintendo aims for family friendly stuff too and I'd argue having an Educational Edition is a boon to Minecraft. Not many games get to claim they have an educational edition that actually gets used by schools.

Steve would be amazing to see but on the other hand he's Notch's creation and I don't like Notch so I guess I'm neutral on Steve overall

PsychoJosh

I've spoken about this before, but Sakurai and his team always do their best to deliver high quality characters that pay as much respect to the source material as possible, and third party characters need to have a sort of "classic" quality about them. Steve does not have these things, he is a very amateurishly designed approximation of "retro" 3D graphics that actually looks nothing like early 3D games. Even his name was just given to him in a moment of contrivance by Notch himself because he couldn't be bothered thinking of anything else. Steve has had zero thought put into his design and is basically little more than a placeholder character that stuck. He's not unique, he's not interesting, he has no personality, and the ONLY argument I've heard for his inclusion is that "Minecraft sold a lot". Who cares? Nobody cares about sales unless you're a shareholder. Characters need to be timeless, historic to gaming, and beloved. Steve is not, he's just a placeholder and default skin.

For these reasons alone I think Sakurai would veto having him in Smash completely. They wouldn't be able to deliver a high quality character with such low quality source material, without completely redesigning him which he shouldn't have to do.

Steve only resonates with little kids. I guarantee you his reveal would be largely met with subdued, hushed reactions of "what" and "why him?" rather than hype and screaming like they did for Bayonetta's reveal. Because Minecraft is not a gamer's game. It is essentially a children's toy. Smash is mostly made by and for, well, gamers, who understand the source material of each franchise and understand all the inside references and fanservice. Even gameplay-wise, Steve has very little going for him. His potential moveset would be exceedingly similar to Link. People have mentioned that Steve might have a crafting mechanic in Smash but they don't have a clue how it would even work. It's all nonsense.

Smash has standards. Steve does not meet them. He won't be in.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I've spoken about this before, but Sakurai and his team always do their best to deliver high quality characters that pay as much respect to the source material as possible, and third party characters need to have a sort of "classic" quality about them. Steve does not have these things, he is a very amateurishly designed approximation of "retro" 3D graphics that actually looks nothing like early 3D games. Even his name was just given to him in a moment of contrivance by Notch himself because he couldn't be bothered thinking of anything else. Steve has had zero thought put into his design and is basically little more than a placeholder character that stuck. He's not unique, he's not interesting, he has no personality, and the ONLY argument I've heard for his inclusion is that "Minecraft sold a lot". Who cares? Nobody cares about sales unless you're a shareholder. Characters need to be timeless, historic to gaming, and beloved. Steve is not, he's just a placeholder and default skin.

For these reasons alone I think Sakurai would veto having him in Smash completely. They wouldn't be able to deliver a high quality character with such low quality source material, without completely redesigning him which he shouldn't have to do.

Steve only resonates with little kids. I guarantee you his reveal would be largely met with subdued, hushed reactions of "what" and "why him?" rather than hype and screaming like they did for Bayonetta's reveal. Because Minecraft is not a gamer's game. It is essentially a children's toy. Smash is mostly made by and for, well, gamers, who understand the source material of each franchise and understand all the inside references and fanservice. Even gameplay-wise, Steve has very little going for him. His potential moveset would be exceedingly similar to Link. People have mentioned that Steve might have a crafting mechanic in Smash but they don't have a clue how it would even work. It's all nonsense.
I agree. Steve would take off points to smash switch rather than adding.
I'd be the first to be very very sad and upset seeing his inclusion

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I've spoken about this before, but Sakurai and his team always do their best to deliver high quality characters that pay as much respect to the source material as possible, and third party characters need to have a sort of "classic" quality about them.
Man that Bayonetta is so classic.
Regardless there's plenty of little touches they could make like showing a heart coming away from Steve when he's hit.

He's not unique
Yeah he is, detailed much farther below.

he's not interesting, he has no personality
:4gaw::4mii::4villager:

the ONLY argument I've heard for his inclusion is that "Minecraft sold a lot". Who cares? Nobody cares about sales unless you're a shareholder.
Plenty of people do because the stupidly high number of sales show the impact Minecraft has had. It shows how big it is. It's nice to know that something you like is doing well and will see some form of continued support.
It shows that at the very least Minecraft is more than worthy of having content in Smash considering the likes of CommanderVideo got a trophy.

Characters need to be timeless, historic to gaming, and beloved.
Steve is all three. People buy merch based off of Steve himself for crying out loud and to insinuate that he doesn't have historical impact is far beyond oblivious. He's been around for nearly a decade, still pretty popular and the game still has a huge presence and influence today. That he is the main character of the game ties him in directly with Minecraft's success.

Steve only resonates with little kids.
And all the adults who still play the game. Lets not do the "DAE Minecraft's audience is just little kids" thing.

I guarantee you his reveal would be largely met with subdued, hushed reactions of "what" and "why him?" rather than hype and screaming like they did for Bayonetta's reveal.
I guarantee it would also be met by tremendous hype that drowns out those misers who hate fun.

Because Minecraft is not a gamer's game.

friggin "gamers" and their stupid gatekeeping

It is essentially a children's toy.
Toy is a synonym for game so you're not wrong lol
Every game is a toy and plenty of "children's toys" are repped in Smash right now.

Smash is mostly made by and for, well, gamers, who understand the source material of each franchise and understand all the inside references and fanservice.
It's a celebration of Nintendo (and Gaming) made for anyone to enjoy, it isn't exclusively for what you call "gamers"
Also they hire a lot of people who don't even play games.

Even gameplay-wise, Steve has very little going for him. His potential moveset would be exceedingly similar to Link. People have mentioned that Steve might have a crafting mechanic in Smash but they don't have a clue how it would even work. It's all nonsense.
He has lots going for him with a wide variety of items at his disposal. He can terraform the stage with his own blocks thus creating his own platforms that can shape an area of the stage and be broken by anyone. He's got a slew of potions he can use to give himself buffs or throw out to deal different debuffs like slower speed or worse jump heights. He could even have a crafting mechanic that lets him get stronger and heavier as he crafts more and have it represented in stages from no armour to leather/wood to chainmail/stone to iron to diamond which gets reset upon a KO. An Ender Orb would be really fun to play with because whilst it could be like Yoshi's Egg Throw it has more application such as the orb landing resulting in Steve teleporting to that place or it could hit an opponent and now Steve is up in their face and can act out of it aside from throwing another Orb.

None of that is like Link at all.

Smash has standards. Steve does not meet them.
You're right, he doesn't meet them.
He blows right through them.

I'd also prefer my thread not get derailed any further.

PsychoJosh

Man that Bayonetta is so classic.
Regardless there's plenty of little touches they could make like showing a heart coming away from Steve when he's hit.

Bayonetta is classic, it doesn't matter if you don't like her. She resonates with gamers way more than a piece of crap like Steve.

Those are Nintendo's own characters, they're free to do what they like with them.

Plenty of people do because the stupidly high number of sales show the impact Minecraft has had. It shows how big it is. It's nice to know that something you like is doing well and will see some form of continued support.
It shows that at the very least Minecraft is more than worthy of having content in Smash considering the likes of CommanderVideo got a trophy.
No it isn't. Again, sales do not mean anything unless you're a shareholder and they don't correlate to how beloved a character is. If sales were everything then we would've gotten GTA, Madden and COD characters in Smash ages ago.

Steve is all three. People buy merch based off of Steve himself for crying out loud and to insinuate that he doesn't have historical impact is far beyond oblivious. He's been around for nearly a decade, still pretty popular and the game still has a huge presence and influence today. That he is the main character of the game ties him in directly with Minecraft's success.
No he is not. Merchandise does always not correlate to fan passion. You know what else sold a lot of merchandise? Garbage pail kids. No one is fondly remembering that franchise just because it sold a lot of plastic garbage that ended up in a landfill in a few years. You really need better arguments than "it sold a lot of merchandise", this is just painting by numbers crap that every blind fanboy does.

And all the adults who still play the game. Lets not do the "DAE Minecraft's audience is just little kids" thing.
You know as well as I do that the vast, VAST majority of people who play Minecraft are small kids, the fact that there are a few no-lifer unemployed adults who have enough time to build a scale replica of the Starship Enterprise in Minecraft does not change this fact.

I guarantee it would also be met by tremendous hype that drowns out those misers who hate fun.
You don't have the slightest clue what you're talking about. Nowhere on any forum is Steve in high demand, except among a few basketcases who want him in because "lol he'd look so bad next to Mario".

friggin "gamers" and their stupid gatekeeping
It's the truth, and a gif is not a counter-argument. But the fact that you have to attack gamers as a whole and construe my argument as "gatekeeping" makes me laugh like Jameson in that pic, because it says a lot about you and your misguided ideologies.

Toy is a synonym for game so you're not wrong lol
Every game is a toy and plenty of "children's toys" are repped in Smash right now.
Toys and games are two different things, as evidenced by the fact that they have two separate definitions and not one and are not always used interchangeably.

It's a celebration of Nintendo (and Gaming) made for anyone to enjoy, it isn't exclusively for what you call "gamers"
Also they hire a lot of people who don't even play games.
Okay, which is why all the characters are from video games and all their possible actions are taken from their video game appearances rather than being generic placeholder actions. Again, thanks for proving you don't have the slightest clue what you're saying.

He has lots going for him with a wide variety of items at his disposal. He can terraform the stage with his own blocks thus creating his own platforms that can shape an area of the stage and be broken by anyone. He's got a slew of potions he can use to give himself buffs or throw out to deal different debuffs like slower speed or worse jump heights. He could even have a crafting mechanic that lets him get stronger and heavier as he crafts more and have it represented in stages from no armour to leather/wood to chainmail/stone to iron to diamond which gets reset upon a KO. An Ender Orb would be really fun to play with because whilst it could be like Yoshi's Egg Throw it has more application such as the orb landing resulting in Steve teleporting to that place or it could hit an opponent and now Steve is up in their face and can act out of it aside from throwing another Orb.

None of that is like Link at all.

You're right, he doesn't meet them.
He blows right through them.

I'd also prefer my thread not get derailed any further.
LMAO

So, it's literally more paint by numbers crap. It's basically just rehashing stuff from his game with zero thought given to actual Smash combat or balancing. It's just, "he did this at one point in his game, therefore he can do this in Smash". lol it really is sad how little you actually have for a good moveset for him. Terraforming the stage? So basically they'd need to code the capability be terraformed into every stage in the game, balance it properly so that it doesn't break anything, and go through a development and balancing nightmare that would delay the game substantially just so he could "create platforms". I don't even wanna get into what a cop-out "buff and debuff" mechanics are to a fighting game. This isn't a JRPG. Very few characters in fighting games revolve around such mechanics without being worthless gimmicks.

It's clear you know very little about game development, and that's what makes me glad you don't see how antithetical Steve is to the quality standards of Smash. Which makes me all the more happy that he won't ever get in. Thank god for that.

Steve is buried so far below the standards for Smash that he's burning up in lava.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Please keep the topic to Master Chief. That is what this thread is supposed to be about. This thread has derailed with the Steve discussion. Stick to the Chief. Thanks.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Something I just thought of: If we get the Chief, maybe Cortana could be our Codec person a la Snake and Palutena?

PsychoJosh

Something I just thought of: If we get the Chief, maybe Cortana could be our Codec person a la Snake and Palutena?
Hahaha, that'd be great. Chief gets on the comm with Johnson and Cortana.

For Smash 5 though, I kept thinking the "codec" secret would be done via a Splatoon or ARMS rep, with either Off the Hook/Squid Sisters or Biff commentating on the fighters. But I'd love to see Cortana make a spoken cameo.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
So... um, to try and prevent another one of whatever happaned here while I was gone, how about we answer some questions I got for us. Which Halo was your first one? Favorite campaign? Favorite multiplayer? If Chief could bring one vehicle to Smash, which one would you pick?

That would be cool. It would be especially funny if they sneak in a gag abput how Cortana and Peach share (shared?) The same voice actress.

PsychoJosh

Well, like I said, I was always partial to the Silent Cartographer level or Halo (Mission 2 on Halo CE). I assume if we got a stage it would be pretty huge and have drivable vehicles.

It'd be especially amazing if it had exploding barrels that you could then shoot with something and blow up while a vehicle drove by. But it may be hard to implement in a 2D context.

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Which Halo was your first one? Favorite campaign? Favorite multiplayer? If Chief could bring one vehicle to Smash, which one would you pick?
First was Halo: CE obviously, favourite levels were the same as Josh, the incredible feeling of those large landscapes to drive around with skirmishes in between. Multiplayer would be Sidewinder (continuing that theme I guess) followed by Timberland.

One vehicle depends on context. The only one that makes regular gameplay sense is the Mongoose (or maybe Ghost). If we're talking about stuff that could be used in a Final Smash then the iconic ones would be the Warthog and Pelican, maybe Scorpion and Banshee. Pelican could also be used as his entrance. If we were to be talking about our favourite vehicles then I'd go Pelican first for the iconic-ness, then Rocket Warthog.

PsychoJosh

It... kinda seems like a reboot?

Not entirely sure if that's the case, but it wouldn't surprise me considering the negative reception 4 and 5 got from fans. They might just want to ditch the current story and start from scratch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom