"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

ZelDan

Smash Lord
halo Reach is my favorite game in the series, and the amount of time I put into that game's multiplayer is just ridiculous.

If we get Reach multiplayer on PC/Steam I'm going to lose it probably.

Smasherfan88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
halo Reach is my favorite game in the series, and the amount of time I put into that game's multiplayer is just ridiculous.

If we get Reach multiplayer on PC/Steam I'm going to lose it probably.
I mean, I'm pretty sure that's a thing they're doing for all of the MCC games.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if after Infinite releases they add an update that adds 5 since everyone would probably be playing Infinite instead (unless they screw it up more than five).

Just no trading card loot pack things k thanks

Chinderblock

Whip It Good
Premium
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
NNID
Irene4
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do you guys think there is still hope for master chief to make it in smash? Those rumors got my hope up again.
Absolutely. With the tweet being a blatant ****post(which would explain why the context makes no sense. The response to it isn't about him being playable, it's about him not being in the game in any possible way. The tweet means so little due to too many factors. It's one of the weakest disconfirmations as well. Why on earth would he be talking about the context being "I just downloaded the game" if it didn't exactly mean that he isn't in the current version of the game... which is the only thing that fits it entirely). For that matter, no way he would be allowed to even say that much if an NDA existed towards Microsoft for any of their properties. No hints would be allowed. If Microsoft is even involved, then he can't say anything. Unless it's a deliberate misleading statement, which might not break the NDA alone.

So yeah, his chances are still good. Halo and Xbox have little presence in Japan, which actually does hurt his chances. A misleading tweet? Meaningless and is taken way more seriously than it deserves. If he even gets a Mii Costume, then the tweet is meaningless. Even a spirit alone. That's how little it means. And he's going to get one or the other if Microsoft is involved. He's way too iconic to be ignored, and thanks to the Minecraft Master Chief costume, we know there isn't an issue with him cameo-ing in a Nintendo game.

Absolutely. With the tweet being a blatant ****post(which would explain why the context makes no sense. The response to it isn't about him being playable, it's about him not being in the game in any possible way. The tweet means so little due to too many factors. It's one of the weakest disconfirmations as well. Why on earth would he be talking about the context being "I just downloaded the game" if it didn't exactly mean that he isn't in the current version of the game... which is the only thing that fits it entirely). For that matter, no way he would be allowed to even say that much if an NDA existed towards Microsoft for any of their properties. No hints would be allowed. If Microsoft is even involved, then he can't say anything. Unless it's a deliberate misleading statement, which might not break the NDA alone.

So yeah, his chances are still good. Halo and Xbox have little presence in Japan, which actually does hurt his chances. A misleading tweet? Meaningless and is taken way more seriously than it deserves. If he even gets a Mii Costume, then the tweet is meaningless. Even a spirit alone. That's how little it means. And he's going to get one or the other if Microsoft is involved. He's way too iconic to be ignored, and thanks to the Minecraft Master Chief costume, we know there isn't an issue with him cameo-ing in a Nintendo game.
I dunno if I see things that way; Frank O'Connor said pretty plainly that Chief isn't Smash DLC. I don't think a disconfirmation like that leaves much room for interpretation, though I'd love to be wrong. If another Fighter's Pass actually happened, then Chief would totally be a viable choice, but as things stand I can't see the tweet meaning anything aside from "no, Nintendo didn't approach us about him, sorry".

Chinderblock

Whip It Good
Premium
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
NNID
Irene4
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I dunno if I see things that way; Frank O'Connor said pretty plainly that Chief isn't Smash DLC. I don't think a disconfirmation like that leaves much room for interpretation, though I'd love to be wrong. If another Fighter's Pass actually happened, then Chief would totally be a viable choice, but as things stand I can't see the tweet meaning anything aside from "no, Nintendo didn't approach us about him, sorry".
...While explicitly downloading the game that has no DLC at the time in question. No duh he isn't DLC... at the time.. The only actual context otherwise is a person whining "He'd better be DLC!"(which had nothing to do with being playable, but just being among the purchaseable DLC, or maybe not even purchaseable. Spirits are DLC too) while Frank Conner gave the most ****posty response possible while dismissing everything possible(best he can do under an NDA otherwise, if he's allowed to say anything to begin with). There is no way he would be allowed to say anything concrete if MIcrosoft had any NDA going on. So it only means two things; he's saying meaningless stuff or Microsoft isn't involved with Smash at all. It's more likely the former, as again, it's a hard ****post that people take way more seriously than it deserves.

There's probably only one Fighter's Pass as well. Master Chief still has a realistic chance of being on it, with the only tangible factor is the lack of Japanese presence. Which is why he'd probably just be a Spirit or Mii Costume, which would be DLC(exactly what was said he apparently isn't). But seeing as the chance of him not being even those is extremely low(meaning he's very likely going to be some kind of Smash DLC even while not being playable), it completely makes the tweet worthless as soon as it can happen. That's why people taking the tweet heavily out of context is an issue. He wasn't once talking about being playable, after all. Nobody was.

If I remember correctly, Halo 3 was a Japanese bestseller. I feel that gives more presence in Japan than one might come in on.
I can't imagine this is the case. Xbox has never been a popular brand in Japan, and unless I'm mistaken, the Halo games only sold around ~ 70,000-80,000 copies over there. Not entirely niche, sure, but I don't remember Halo enjoying dynamite sales figures, overseas.

With all the rumors going around and Microsoft and Nintendo being all buddy buddy I've started to think Chief has a real fighting chance of getting into the game's DLC. It wouldn't surprise me if he got in close to the release of Halo Infinite as an advertising stunt. Even if that means him being part of a second character pack set. As I'm pretty sure we are getting more DLC characters than those 5.

Geassguy

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty sure we are getting more DLC characters than those 5.
I agree, it just seems unlikely they're gonna start another game any time soon, and the alternative to continuing to support this one in lieu of a new Smash game is to let the series stagnate/get left behind. Better to keep adding to it and porting it if a successor isn't planned. Add more modes and stages too, not just characters. Make Ultimate even more "Ultimate".

Time to just let Sakurai take a less active role and let someone else lead the DLC.
If they go this route and continue adding characters, I can definitely see Microsoft's continuing expansion eventually leading to MC and BK in Smash. Pretty sure Sakurai and the team are aware of those character's status in the history of gaming, for a large portion of their player base.

Last edited:
Pretty damn late, but count me in as a supporter too!

While I haven't played a lot of Halo, I have Chief as one of my most wanted since he (and the Halo universe in general) could complement Smash greatly in multiple ways (and not just as a counterpoint to Samus / Metroid). Kinda hoping that the MCC (or a Halo game if MCC's too big) for Switch rumors turn out true.

By the by, I still think Chief's chances for this Fighter Pass are rather low despite Frank being a notorious troll.