• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I made my own tier list a while ago...

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
Hi. I've been playing Super Smash Melee since it got out, on a daily basis. I am pretty good with Sheik, Marth, Peach, Falco, Pikachu, Zelda, Mario, Doctor Mario and Jigglypuff. A while ago I made a tier list based on what I thought was right. I joined this forum very recently and read a lot of stuff about tiers and everything and I was pretty shocked about the results. Most of them make sense but there are quite a few noticeable differences. Here's the official tier list found on SmashBoards;

TOP TIER
-Fox
-Falco
HIGH TIER
-Sheik
-Marth
-Peach
MID TIER
-Captain Falcon
-Ice Climbers
-Samus
-Doctor Mario
-Jigglypuff
-Mario
-Ganondorf
LOW TIER
-Link
-Luigi
-Donkey Kong
-Roy
-Young Link
-Pikachu
BOTTOM TIER
-Yoshi
-Zelda
-Mr. Game and Watch
-Ness
-Bowser
-Kirby
-Pichu
-Mewtwo

And now, here's the tier list I made based on what I thought, before I saw the official tier list;

TOP TIER
-Falco
-Fox
-Sheik ~ WRONG
-Peach ~ WRONG
-Marth ~ WRONG
HIGH TIER
-Mario ~ WRONG
-Dr Mario ~ WRONG
-Samus ~ WRONG
-Zelda ~ WRONG
-Pikachu ~ WRONG
MID TIER
-Captain Falcon
-Ganondorf
-Jigglypuff
-Ness ~ WRONG
-Luigi ~ WRONG
-Link ~ WRONG
LOW TIER
-Donkey Kong
-Young Link
-Roy
-Yoshi ~ WRONG
-Ice Climbers ~ WRONG
BOTTOM TIER
-Pichu
-Kirby
-Mewtwo
-Mr. Game & Watch
-Bowser

QUESTION: What's wrong with my list ? Why aren't Sheik, Marth and Peach top tiers with Falco and Fox ? And why is DK higher ranked than Zelda ? Why are Link and Young Link low tiers ?

Thank you for your replies.

Yoshi'stheBombers7

Smash Journeyman
Well, to begin, the Tier list is based upon results in tournys. This list shows how well these players do overall when playing against someone else in an official match. With that being said, I suggest you to watch some matches on Youtube to explain you questions about DK, Link, etc. Also, Fox and Falco players seem to have the best results

Some player names to look up are Bum (DK), Aniki (Link), Zellhs (Fox), and Forward (Falco).

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Well, to begin, the Tier list is based upon results in tournys. This list shows how well these players do overall when playing against someone else in an official match. With that being said, I suggest you to watch some matches on Youtube to explain you questions about DK, Link, etc. Also, Fox and Falco players seem to have the best results

Some player names to look up are Bum (DK), Aniki (Link), Zellhs (Fox), and Forward (Falco).
Just look up PC Chris for Fox and Falco instead.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
You weren't off that right. Characters, you can feel are higher on the tier list and others aren't.

Ice Climbers for one, I though was middle throw low. Turns out they were almost high tier.

It pretty much just depends on tournament results as Yoshi'stheBomber said.

geemann2236

Smash Journeyman
Ganon is pwnage. He is NOT middle tier. MARIO IS BETTER THAN SAMUS, ARE U KIDDING ME? Zelda is low tier without a doubt. So is Pikachu, lol. Pikachu in high tier, lol, that is like poo. I have NEVER seen anyone win a tourney with Pikachu...

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Have you been to many tournaments before (not just small local ones)?
And, Ice Climbers is definitely not low tier. not even close!
epic (chain) grabbing, wobbling, desynching tricksies, etc.
Also, mario and pikachu are definitely not so high up.

I've always personally thought zelda deserved a bit higher, but never would have I thought about her being high tier. But I guess it's not up to us to decide the tier list; it's up to the pros, since they know about the game more than all of us :laugh:

EDIT:
well, I guess we shouldn't bother trying to make a new tier list since
1. the current one is as accurate as it can get
2. brawl is coming out in a few months anyway
:)

Brentos4o8

Smash Ace
Hi. I've been playing Super Smash Melee since it got out, on a daily basis. I am pretty good with Sheik, Marth, Peach, Falco, Pikachu, Zelda, Mario, Doctor Mario and Jigglypuff. A while ago I made a tier list based on what I thought was right. I joined this forum very recently and read a lot of stuff about tiers and everything and I was pretty shocked about the results.
Don't worry guys. If he's good with all those characters. He must be PRO.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Don't worry guys. People like this who are so hasty in the generalization won't be on these boards for long anyway.
Though I realize your stating your opinion I don't like the fact of how you assert yourself as being absolutly correct. Be more open minded or be doomed for failure.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
The only thing SS' got wrong in that I agree with is Mario in High Tier Over Doc =)

XD

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
You guys are acting as if he is one of the noobs attacking the tier list, he came for help and you rude people grouped him wrongly and attacked him.

That is correct, the tier list is different than yours. Characters places sometimes are chosen a lot on how they react to certain tactics you may not have heard of, that is part of it.

Fox and falco are up there because they have no true counters, and very reliable stratagies for attacking, punishing, combos, and camping.

billythegoat

Smash Journeyman
Look-up chu-dat and wobbles to see why the Ice climbers are so high on the official tier list.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
the tier list I would have liked (really just my fav characters LOL)

Roy
Marth
IC
Ness
Doc.
Dorf
DK
Falco
Luigi
Link
Samus
Rest of the people

BrandonOwnageking

Smash Journeyman
well the tier list are made from collecting data at tournys and seeing hoew well ppl do with certain characters so unless uve collected ur data from a bunch of pros playing different characters urs is inaccurate

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I first thought all characters were equal. once you find out about the tier list, it's only natural you think yours is the best. why else would you main him/her and do so well with him/her? Finding out that Roy sucks was not easy.

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry guys. People like this who are so hasty in the generalization won't be on these boards for long anyway.
Though I realize your stating your opinion I don't like the fact of how you assert yourself as being absolutly correct. Be more open minded or be doomed for failure.

I don't think I acted arrogant. Show me where I asserted myself as being absolutely correct ? In fact, I wanted to know why are they ranked higher so I can become a better player. You totally missed my point. I haven't been hasty in the generalization; in fact just sent the tier list I made long ago, long before I ever knew about the official tier list. ALl I wanted was information. Instead of being a smart *** you could've teach me why Ice Climbers are so good and why Zelda is bottom. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply. Next time read my post correctly.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
in my opinion Zelda is the second worst character in the game. she's horrible.
Not really. She's just an absolute bore to play. Ugh.

Besides the point, he didn't come here claiming to be a PRO at this game. He merely pointed out the differences between his tier list and yours. Jesus christ, you guys are ****ing douche-bags. You guys are the people that casuals claim ALL tournament players to be. Elitist jack-*****.

Get over yourselves.... >_<

legendofme

Smash Journeyman
ay my dude. The reason zelda sux is because she dies easy and she has worthless smashs. Ice Climbers has a lot of stuff to rn over the competition. Thank you for being polite, SS.

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
ay my dude. The reason zelda sux is because she dies easy and she has worthless smashs. Ice Climbers has a lot of stuff to rn over the competition. Thank you for being polite, SS.
How strong is her aerial forward/backwards glowing kick ? I mean, compared to most moves ?

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
...so the reason you put ness so high is OMG FSMASH, right?

gj
I asked a question that had nothing to do with Ness. Btw, I'm not a kid, I'm 23. I didn't sign in here to make trouble, just to chat about Super Smash Bros. Some of you nerds should try to help newbies instead of trying to look impressive by bashing and treating any new member like an ***. Most of you just won't give me a chance.

xelad1

Smash Ace
I asked a question that had nothing to do with Ness. Btw, I'm not a kid, I'm 23. I didn't sign in here to make trouble, just to chat about Super Smash Bros. Some of you nerds should try to help newbies instead of trying to look impressive by bashing and treating any new member like an ***. Most of you just won't give me a chance.
You'll have to forgive people flaming you for a topic that they've seen about 5 million times before. Everyone and their mothers has their own version of the tier list and where they think certain characters should be. A lot of reputable pros, for instance, think that sheik should be moved back to first place on the tier list (or rather they think that she is the best character in the game... hardly anyone bothers arguing about the tier list any more). The tier list is based on a mixture tournament results and characters' individual abilities in overall matchups. When the tier list does change, the changes are usually very slight... you'll never see the top 5 characters moved around all that much.

Its good to note that if you think you have something new or insightful to say about any character, or the tiers, or most things, in melee..... that its already been said on these boards before. I mean the game came out in 2001, people have had time to think about these things for 6 years.... nobody is trying to look impressive but these threads are esentially just wasted space on the boards.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
The thing is, he didn't even come in here with an elitist, arrogant attitude! He came here ASKING WHY HIS LIST DIFFERED FROM THE OFFICIAL ONE!!! If anything, he was looking for advice. The bashing that ensued was unnecessary!

I hate the tournament scene.... >_<

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Hi SeventhSage,

The current tier list is based on many different factors such as character potential, tournament results, flexibility, etc. People will naturally disagree with your list because it's very different, but I see your point of view...

Where in Quebec do you live? We have a very active Montreal community with very skilled players. Check out the links in my signature if you're interested in playing some other people. We'll gladly explain and demonstrate any questions regarding tier lists and advanced techniques you may have to ask us.

Of course, with the way things have been going here, DK should be top tier >_>

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You'll have to forgive people flaming you for a topic that they've seen about 5 million times before. Everyone and their mothers has their own version of the tier list and where they think certain characters should be. A lot of reputable pros, for instance, think that sheik should be moved back to first place on the tier list (or rather they think that she is the best character in the game... hardly anyone bothers arguing about the tier list any more). The tier list is based on a mixture tournament results and characters' individual abilities in overall matchups. When the tier list does change, the changes are usually very slight... you'll never see the top 5 characters moved around all that much.

Its good to note that if you think you have something new or insightful to say about any character, or the tiers, or most things, in melee..... that its already been said on these boards before. I mean the game came out in 2001, people have had time to think about these things for 6 years.... nobody is trying to look impressive but these threads are esentially just wasted space on the boards.
QFT.

The flaming was a bit unnecessary, but I can understand where some of the people are coming from. This is the sort of topic that needs to be closed because it has already been discussed a million times. Seventh Sage, if you really want help and want to compare your list with the official one do so either in the threads that ThatGuy mentioned or in the official topic for tier listings.

Smooth Criminal

legendofme

Smash Journeyman
play with what your comfortable with. Tier list is definitely on point after so many years. But nothing beats the way a person plays and comfortability--<(is that a word? lol) Sometimes peeps can't play with higher characters. Some ppl feel they can win with other characters because they are easier to use, and apply their own individual playstyle. Rushdown, Wait & Punish, Priority Abuse, Balance, Keepaway spam, Unpredictable, and Oddball. A character might be superior, but each character is suppose to fit someone's playstyle. Of course you can mold a character to ya liking as well, but this is the main way to play these characters IMHO. Don't have a cow, I'm just stating what I feel.

Rushdown : Fox/Falco+Priority, Falcon+Unpredictable
W & P: Samus+Keepaway, Marth+Priority, Ganondorf
Priority Abuse: Sheik, Peach, Jigglypuff
Balanced: Marios, Luigi+Oddball
Keepaway: Link, Y.Link,
Unpredictable: Yoshi+oddball, Ice Climbers+Priority, Pikachu
Oddball: Zelda, Bowser, Ness, Mewtwo, Pichu, Kirby, Roy

Just imo. That's how I feel about it.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
The tier list they have now is outdated anyways... just a bit at least. Nothing game-breaking though. Besides why do people care about tiers? Just play the character you're the best with.

OP, read some of the character guides/matchup threads and you'll learn a lot.

SeventhSage

Smash Apprentice
Said the 23 year old on a video game forum, getting mad because people disagree with his opinion.

OR OP can lurk moar and or do some research as opposed to being a ******.
Show me where I got mad. I didn't get mad. lol. And also, I asked a question. You don't know my opinion. Is your life so boring that you have to act like you do on message boards to get attention, Sliq? Get a life.

Top Bottom