• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I kinda feel like the 3DS version is pointless now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
thats about the same as carrying around a laptop with no battery.
Good for the waiting room, bad for the trip.

On the note of the 53 things about the Wiiu version i found it funny how few of them actually mean diddly-squat. Almost all of them are graphical updates (its HD...no duh) and bigger levels due to the resolution change, also obvious. The boardgame seems neat but probably same thing as Mario Party - play it once or twice, get sick of it. 8player smash being a local thing only (the announcer did mention you cannot do this online) means it probably wont ever happen unless you have a TON of local friends that play, which i dont. Then theres the TONS upon TONS of music/trophy data...............who cares?

Only feature the Wiiu has that actually draws my attention is the map maker. They seem to make it actually work now and give you a ton of options. For that, i am excited, nothing else (HD is nice but i am an 8-bit junky, long as it isnt rancid graphics i dont care)
Well you see , i care about this , and , you know , Trophy and Music are the soul of Smash with the character ... See one of your Favorite character in trophy in smash is very exciting , you feel proud to him and to like this character ...
8 Player smash is local , yes but it will be fun , i can't wait to do 2vs2vs2IAvs2IA , 99 stock no item in GCO and Palutena Temple or Hyrule Temple .
Smash Board is kinda cool , Have character stock is fun .
Stage Builder is great .

You see , me i care about this .

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
thats about the same as carrying around a laptop with no battery.
Good for the waiting room, bad for the trip.

On the note of the 53 things about the Wiiu version i found it funny how few of them actually mean diddly-squat. Almost all of them are graphical updates (its HD...no duh) and bigger levels due to the resolution change, also obvious. The boardgame seems neat but probably same thing as Mario Party - play it once or twice, get sick of it. 8player smash being a local thing only (the announcer did mention you cannot do this online) means it probably wont ever happen unless you have a TON of local friends that play, which i dont. Then theres the TONS upon TONS of music/trophy data...............who cares?

Only feature the Wiiu has that actually draws my attention is the map maker. They seem to make it actually work now and give you a ton of options. For that, i am excited, nothing else (HD is nice but i am an 8-bit junky, long as it isnt rancid graphics i dont care).
More options are always better than none though, because if it had the same modes as the 3ds version I would question why they're trying to charge me 60 bucks

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
Did people think Smash Wii U wasn't going to be loaded heavier than (not just the portable version, but even Brawl) everything in the world? Speaking for myself, I knew what I was going to get with the 3ds version. While I didn't know the exact content of Smash Wii U, it was about what I was expecting in terms of volume. The Sak knows what he's doing.

"Pointless" is a silly comment. You can 100% Smash in the 3ds version. Why am I just now realizing the console version is going to top the portable version?

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
After seeing the 50 Fact video I think that Sakurai wanted to make this game to be a grind fest like NinjaLink did in Classic Mode, and then transfer everything to Wii U, get Mewtwo and ditch the game afterwards.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
I don't really mind the 3DS being outclassed. The only thing it has on the Wii U is its portable aspect. Some of the single player modes- a lot of them- should have made it to the 3DS.

What confuses me is the 3DS being able to play on the Wii-U.

Does it show up on the 3DS screen? Or is it just the controller. I liked the idea of two smash scenes, 3DS being separate from WiiU.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I've always wanted to play a Smash Bros. game on a portable console so the 3DS version isn't very pointless to me.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Oooh Portability. Is that like the all mighty Trump Card? Doesn't really work for me since I gave up on portable gaming back in the GBA era. Fun Fact: I don't really go anywhere. And when I do; 1. I'm usually DRIVING 90% of the time, and 2. I'm most likely focused on what I'm out for. I can't even take the damn thing to work since my workplace is extremely paranoid so I have to sign a bunch of **** to verify that I didn't "steal" the 3DS. It's honestly not worth it.

I use my sister's 3DS as we only have one (and one copy of the game) so when one of us is playing, the other is just sitting there waiting for their turn. Really? This is the future of Smash? Taking away the best thing of playing games as when we were growing up and having us wait turns? No thanks.

To be honest, I was really enjoying Smash 3DS, but after the 50 fact extravaganza, I really don't want to play it anymore. I'll be going full Wii U after release, but I'm sure my sister will get a kick having Smash during her school breaks. At least it'll get some use there.
/rant

It became the other way for me. The Wii U's added features are game modes I'm never going to play after challenge completion; it's not enough to get me to shell out for a new system and a game which I've already played half of.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
It didn't take anything from WiiU? LOL what? Ice Climbers, Squirtle and Ivysaur are absent because of 3DS version.
Not only that, the few good stages on 3DS could be on WiiU, just saying...
Also the comparison with the little girl LOL wtf. I gave Nintendo 40 bucks for a game which feels useless one single month after I bought it. 3DS version didn't need to exist out of the fact that Nintendo probably made some money. Oh, and people who don't have the WiiU can play the poor man's Smash. Good for them don't take me wrong, but come on.
Stop it. The reason the stupid Ice Climbers didn't make it in wasn't only the 3ds version, it was also the Wii U version. You know 8 player Smash? Yea, imagine 16 Ice Climbers running around.

Duskinja

Smash Cadet
NNID
Yoshibrothers505
The 3DS version isn't pointless for a few reasons.
1. Smash 3DS is a game where you can smash on the go.

2. There is some content that differs from the Wii U version.

3. Not everyone can have/afford the Wii U version due to not having the console itself.

4. Mewtwo can only be acquired by having both versions, and knowing a large number of the Smash fanbase, I can't see a lot of people passing that up.

Last edited:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Another thing that should be noted: Some people have Wii Us in family rooms, etc (For Netflix, for example). If you can't use that TV, you can now still play smash thanks to the 3DS (and maybe also on the Wii U gamepad, can't remember if they've said if that's a thing)...

wmo_

Smash Cadet
huge smash fan, but the 3DS doesn't feel right. I finally realized recently that it's because it's on essentially a game boy, we never played smash like that before. I feel like it doesn't matter how good the 3DS version is, smash has been a console game and it just won't feel the same on a very small screen and low graphics. Smash on a TV with controllers is the way to go

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Stop it. The reason the stupid Ice Climbers didn't make it in wasn't only the 3ds version, it was also the Wii U version. You know 8 player Smash? Yea, imagine 16 Ice Climbers running around.
Who says that? You? It was the 3DS version who killed them.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Another thing that should be noted: Some people have Wii Us in family rooms, etc (For Netflix, for example). If you can't use that TV, you can now still play smash thanks to the 3DS (and maybe also on the Wii U gamepad, can't remember if they've said if that's a thing)...
Yes it has been confirmed that the gamepad displays the game.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
For me, the 3DS version has "I already own this console and don't need to spend $360 to get another console and SSB" going for it.

And judging by the Wii U's sales, I'm not alone in that regard...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
well the wii u version is when you are at home and the 3ds version is when you are on the go so the 3ds version isn't completely pointless
This.

I play Smash 3DS when I am not home... like when I am sleeping over at my boyfriend's house... or when we are staying at a hotel... or during long road trips... or when I am on a flight.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I had a huge "I'm pissed off at the situation" venting session with my brother when it first came out on the 3DS because it's an obvious marketing strategy... but you really can't argue with it. It's obviously a very calculated decision, and the more you think about it the more you have to give Nintendo credit for genius. To anyone who is a fan of the series, they could have done without the 3DS version even as an idea to begin with, we could have shaved off years on the waiting period for console (an assumption) and instead we get thrown into the works on this weird tour of a portable world we didn't require. But the world is not bad, and many of you would never have experienced it if the order of release were reversed. I have been playing this version to learn the ins and outs as much as I can. Imagine the feeling you will have jumping into the 'refreshed' game knowing how to execute attacks and instead seeing it in crystal. It's a great scheme from Nintendo, they are maximizing profit, and trying not to completely hamper enjoyment in the process.

Is it now pointless though? To some, yes. To some, no. Really no point arguing, obviously some of you are going to start collecting dust again on your DS, and some of you are in heaven on a subway ride. That was inevitable and part of my frustration. This was never going to be universally liked.

But! As someone who wants more than anything for Smash to join the ranks of these up and coming popular video game behemoths, the more people involved in the community and the game, the better. This was something I overlooked. I just want Smash to be huge :D

b0nkers

Smash Rookie
What if you're the one driving? Not so perfect then, eh? Well I suppose you could still play, though it's generally frowned upon.
hahahaha. Very true. You just need to have a chauffeur and the problem is solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom