• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I kinda feel like the 3DS version is pointless now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
Just speaking of online it's missing a ton of options most importantly a social feature that either lets you friend randoms or send invites to friends, any other mode aside from 1v1 matches are almost guaranteed to lag via slide show or horrendous input lag and the match making system is consistent with putting you against randomly skilled players
So let me ask, is this comparing it to handheld fighting games, or consoles? Since you should have different expecations for either one.

And I've had plenty of FFA matches with no lag, but it's not perfect online. Still, no one's saying Wii U will be perfect either, so I stand by my claim that FOR A HANDHELD, Smash 3ds is amazing. Comparing it to a console game is really apples and oranges though.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I feel that the only thing that matters in the end is the voice chat and friending features, and this is coming from somebody who has 100%ed every SSB but 3D.

Eight players is impressive and all, but it's local only. I don't think I could get five players in one spot, much less the eight. And most would rather wait for 1v1 time anyway. Actually, that's a significant strength for SSB3D, since we can play 1v1s without interrupting each other.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
So let me ask, is this comparing it to handheld fighting games, or consoles? Since you should have different expecations for either one.

And I've had plenty of FFA matches with no lag, but it's not perfect online. Still, no one's saying Wii U will be perfect either, so I stand by my claim that FOR A HANDHELD, Smash 3ds is amazing. Comparing it to a console game is really apples and oranges though.
Wasn't saying the wii u's online was going to be any better, and considering that wasn't even mentioned in their presentation it probably won't be.

Also how low are your expectations of the 3ds' online anyway? Because none of the those features I mentioned are even that big, adding randoms, sending invites to friends online, even a decent ranking system, I'm pretty sure the 3ds could handle it. Pokemon has more online features than smash for 3ds and that's from nintendo, so excuse me for not being content with an online mode from the ps2 era

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Wasn't saying the wii u's online was going to be any better, and considering that wasn't even mentioned in their presentation it probably won't be.

Also how low are your expectations of the 3ds' online anyway? Because none of the those features I mentioned are even that big, adding randoms, sending invites to friends online, even a decent ranking system, I'm pretty sure the 3ds could handle it. Pokemon has more online features than smash for 3ds and that's from nintendo, so excuse me for not being content with an online mode from the ps2 era
Smash Bros should have PSS like Pokemon XY. I mean why not?!

EnigmaticKnight

Smash Apprentice
I always considered the 3DS version as the appetizer, before going to the main course (Wii U version). Overall, I have a lot of fun on the 3DS version, but the Wii U version just have more contents and options with the controllers.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
I agree.

While the 3DS version is good, the Wii U version is just 10 times better. Betterr graphics, better stages, better modes, more players, more control options, BETTER control options, more music, stage builder, better online, events, more challenges, special orders, master fortress. Portability? sure, cool but I never take me 3DS out with me and I never go on '''long road trips in the car'' either. It's not pointless now, but when the U version comes, bye bye 3DS. I may use it when me and my bro are fighting agaisnt each other, as a controller, but if I have money left after buying the Wii U and game, then I'll buy an GC adapter.
And I'll use it to get the CD's and Mewtwo. I'm so sad about one thing though; I can only get a U, in January or later. :(

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I found it hilarious that in the 50 Smash facts video thing, the Announcer made the 3ds seem awful in comparison to the Wii U. The only thing that bothers me is that I have to wait till Christmas until I'm allowed to get a Wii U and Smash :crying:
I was in denial about the 3ds only being an appetizer for smash at first, but now I'm pretty intent on the Wii U. When I saw the 8 player smash in action, it was disgusting to see how many people could be on that screen at once. Disgusting in a good way.

Not that the 3ds version is bad. It's really a fantastic game, but the Wii U version will be better due to solid controls and more game modes. I got my Gamecube Controller down from the attic and dusted it off in preparation for the big screen :)

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
I found it hilarious that in the 50 Smash facts video thing, the Announcer made the 3ds seem awful in comparison to the Wii U. The only thing that bothers me is that I have to wait till Christmas until I'm allowed to get a Wii U and Smash :crying:
I was in denial about the 3ds only being an appetizer for smash at first, but now I'm pretty intent on the Wii U. When I saw the 8 player smash in action, it was disgusting to see how many people could be on that screen at once. Disgusting in a good way.

Not that the 3ds version is bad. It's really a fantastic game, but the Wii U version will be better due to solid controls and more game modes. I got my Gamecube Controller down from the attic and dusted it off in preparation for the big screen :)
I feel you. Can't get my wii u until christmas too.

On topic, I don't think it's pointless for me as...I can't always be on the tv. I mean yeah, I'm home most of the time and smash wii u I'll be on a lot, but 3DS will be nice for those online matches I wanna play before bed. Also times when I let my little bro play on the wii u I can be on the 3DS version, so I don't think it's pointless.

They still did a pretty good job making a portable version of smash and getting it to work on a 3DS. If the 3DS wasn't limited in what it could do, it could've held a few more interesting modes, but they still did a decent job on it.

RedBeanPorridge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RedBeanPorridge
3DS FC
3823-8771-4471
While watching the stream, I just felt like nintendo was giving me, a smash 3ds owner, the middle finger. While I do know comparing a portable game to a home console game is pointless, I just felt really annoyed now that we know that the 3DS smash shies drastically from its Wii U counterpart in terms of almost everything. No, I'm not talking about graphics. I'm talking about the game's modes and content. The 3DS game should be able to stand on its own as a Smash Bros game but right now to me, it barely does. It just feels like a demo of some of the things that the Wii U version has to offer, but with a lot less. Reason 51(I think) on the smash Wii U stream almost felt like it was there for the sole reason of trying to get you to not think that the 3DS version had a lot less content by pointing out as many things the 2 versions shared, and they were really scraping the bottle of the barrel with that one (buttons? Really?). And now to fully enjoy this new gen of smash I feel the need to buy the Wii U version which as a person who originally decided to opt towards the 3DS version, I shouldn't be forced to do this.

But hey I should at least be grateful for how expansive Nintendo decided to make the WiiU version I suppose.
I'm just a little bit unhappy with this all.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Are you really suggesting that the Wii U version shouldn't exist? The GameCube controller is the best way to play Smash (IMO). Eight player battles, better graphics, more comfortable to play on, etc.

I don't get what's so good about "portability" anyway, especially when all you can do is play with CPUs...in my opinion.

And why is everyone getting so defensive? It's like nobody can have a discussion about the game. I even said that I LIKE the game, and people are getting upset over it.

People should chill out and not get so worked up.
People are reacting this way because you're acting "offended" by Nintendo taking your money when you actually handed it to them yourself.

The fact you've always had the option from the start to either get the 3DS version or WAIT to get the Wii U one (or both) is another thing.

newsflash. We've known since day ONE the 3DS version would be inferior in comparison It's not nearly as powerful and cannot HANDLE that much content. The game literally pushes the system to the limits. It has to hard reset when close out of the game while the system is still running because of the toll it takes!

49 characters, amazing graphics for a hand held (and ten years ago for a home system) and you get to put it in your pocket. And you're upset it doesn't have the same features that a $300 machine does.

Not to mention this series has always been on a home console. The fact they made a 3DS version, as luck luster as can be in comparison shows how much they love fans. They know Smash will sell. The 3DS is a success. It wasn't even necessary to make it on both but they did.

Keep in mind you're also not PAYING as much as the WiiU version. You paid $42.79 at MOST. this one is $23 more bucks. 50% more than the cost of the 3DS version.

And you're upset it has 50% more content to offer?

Literally NO one has the audacity to complain after what I just said, so help me.

We know you like it. But you don't have much foundation to stand on after your argument.

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
The 3DS version obviously hit the limit for what is acceptable for a 3DS game on the technical side, but from a gamer perspective, horrid load times, and the fact that it resets the system every time you shut it down is just plain unacceptable. In terms of features, I think having Stamina Battles isn't too much to ask for, especially since it's hidden away in Smash Run. The 3DS version, after looking at the ND feels like a product done solely to subsidize losses of the Wii U version since it's obvious the Wii U version won't sell as much.

In terms of being upset, the fact that the 3DS version prohibited the Ice Climbers from being included IS something that is legitimately upsetting and deserves ire. You can talk about it being inferior all you want, but when it holds back another version of the game, that's where the line is crossed.

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
I knew the 3DS version wouldn't have as much content but that Direct just blew it out of the water. I mean... the only thing the 3DS version has over the WiiU version is...
-Portable
-Smash Run

Everything else is painfully inferior. I bought the 3DS version because I don't have a WiiU but I'd be experiencing some buyers remorse if I had a WiiU (Mewtwo and Soundtracks notwithstanding). If people want to think of 3DS smash as the appetizer to the REAL Smash4, that's fine but it can't be denied that the 3DS version held back the WiiU version.

Even as someone who doesn't have a WiiU, I think the 3DS version has little reason to exist.

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
In terms of being upset, the fact that the 3DS version prohibited the Ice Climbers from being included IS something that is legitimately upsetting and deserves ire. You can talk about it being inferior all you want, but when it holds back another version of the game, that's where the line is crossed.
16 ice climbers on an 8 player smash, er. But that's just me.

I knew the 3DS version wouldn't have as much content but that Direct just blew it out of the water. I mean... the only thing the 3DS version has over the WiiU version is...
-Portable
-Smash Run

Everything else is painfully inferior. I bought the 3DS version because I don't have a WiiU but I'd be experiencing some buyers remorse if I had a WiiU (Mewtwo and Soundtracks notwithstanding). If people want to think of 3DS smash as the appetizer to the REAL Smash4, that's fine but it can't be denied that the 3DS version held back the WiiU version.

Even as someone who doesn't have a WiiU, I think the 3DS version has little reason to exist.
I've read somewhere that it was planned in the very beginning that SSB4 would transfer to handheld but was scrapped(Japan being handheld-focused more than ever). Forgive me if my reference is rather faulty.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It is not only pointless, it actually hurts the WiiU version. The 3DS version really just took away stuff from WiiU and that's it. **** the 3DS version. ****. IT.

Neko-Knight

Smash Cadet
I've read somewhere that it was planned in the very beginning that SSB4 would transfer to handheld but was scrapped(Japan being handheld-focused more than ever). Forgive me if my reference is rather faulty.
I can see why they would want that considering it's cheaper to develop for handheld and it's also a wider market but looking at all the content that was cut for Smash 3DS, we can be grateful Smash is not handheld exclusive.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It is not only pointless, it actually hurts the WiiU version. The 3DS version really just took away stuff from WiiU and that's it. **** the 3DS version. ****. IT.
Portable Smash though.

Also it took nothing at all from the Wii U version. Sure, the Wii U version doesn't get Smash Run, but that's because Smash Run wouldn't work as well ON the Wii U.

Also, I take my 3ds to work often. Some of my coworkers saw that I was playing Smash, and asked if they could play a round, as they had played the 64/Gamecube version, and it was really fun to see people I didn't even know liked Smash, smashing opponents around a stage.

The Wii U version couldn't do that.

Oh also it simply comes down to: The 3ds version pushes the system to its limits. You were not robbed of any content as the system cannot give you more.

If a little girl gives you a dollar, as it's all she has, would you ask for more?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Portable Smash though.

Also it took nothing at all from the Wii U version. Sure, the Wii U version doesn't get Smash Run, but that's because Smash Run wouldn't work as well ON the Wii U.

Also, I take my 3ds to work often. Some of my coworkers saw that I was playing Smash, and asked if they could play a round, as they had played the 64/Gamecube version, and it was really fun to see people I didn't even know liked Smash, smashing opponents around a stage.

The Wii U version couldn't do that.

Oh also it simply comes down to: The 3ds version pushes the system to its limits. You were not robbed of any content as the system cannot give you more.

If a little girl gives you a dollar, as it's all she has, would you ask for more?
It didn't take anything from WiiU? LOL what? Ice Climbers, Squirtle and Ivysaur are absent because of 3DS version.
Not only that, the few good stages on 3DS could be on WiiU, just saying...
Also the comparison with the little girl LOL wtf. I gave Nintendo 40 bucks for a game which feels useless one single month after I bought it. 3DS version didn't need to exist out of the fact that Nintendo probably made some money. Oh, and people who don't have the WiiU can play the poor man's Smash. Good for them don't take me wrong, but come on.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It didn't take anything from WiiU? LOL what? Ice Climbers, Squirtle and Ivysaur are absent because of 3DS version.
Not only that, the few good stages on 3DS could be on WiiU, just saying...
Also the comparison with the little girl LOL wtf. I gave Nintendo 40 bucks for a game which feels useless one single month after I bought it. 3DS version didn't need to exist out of the fact that Nintendo probably made some money. Oh, and people who don't have the WiiU can play the poor man's Smash. Good for them don't take me wrong, but come on.
It all goes back to the same thing:

You knew the Wii U version was going to be superior.

You could have waited.

But you didn't.

Also, as a 3ds game, just looking at is as a 3ds game: It's ****ing fantastic. And come on. Smash experience. Modes are fun, sure. But I play smash for the fun I get in the 1v1s and free for alls. Basically it brings the most important part to you, leaving out all the pretty stuff, so you COULD, if you don't have enough money for a Wii U, get the new gen Smash experience.

And yet people can't be grateful.

Shame shame.

BTW, the only character confirmed to not have been included due to hardware limitations was Ice Climbers. But regardless of the fact, Sakurai could have just added them in the Wii U version. But he wanted to keep his word.

I, for one, respect that he tried.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
It all goes back to the same thing:

You knew the Wii U version was going to be superior.

You could have waited.

But you didn't.

Also, as a 3ds game, just looking at is as a 3ds game: It's ****ing fantastic. And come on. Smash experience. Modes are fun, sure. But I play smash for the fun I get in the 1v1s and free for alls. Basically it brings the most important part to you, leaving out all the pretty stuff, so you COULD, if you don't have enough money for a Wii U, get the new gen Smash experience.

And yet people can't be grateful.

Shame shame.
I don't blame the 3DS version of existing, I blame the fact that it limited the WiiU one. The game is OK anyway, it's nothing special especially if you compare it to previous Smash games.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Well, for people that travel a lot Smash 3DS is still valuable.

For us who don't travel long distances it'll become vacation Smash and nothing more.

It was pretty obvious from the get-go that this was how it'd pan out, the Wii U version was always going to be the one with the most content.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't blame the 3DS version of existing, I blame the fact that it limited the WiiU one. The game is OK anyway, it's nothing special especially if you compare it to previous Smash games.
To be fair, the Wii U's 8-player features probably would've been too much for the Ice Climbers to handle anyway.

Sergiomonty

Smash Rookie
Let me start off by saying that I like the 3DS version.

But let's just admit that Nintendo wanted money, and like every other business company, was greedy for our cash.
LOL

Asking for money = Greed

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
But have you compared it to any other 3ds game on the market?

Because comparing a handheld game to a console game is like comparing a fit child and a fit adult in a running competition.

I think you see where I'm going with this.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Even without considering Mewtwo and all that, it's pretty clear the Wii U version is where the bulk of the development went.

The 3DS version is still great whenever away from the Wii U, allowing one to play Smash everywhere and anywhere.

The fact you can transfer characters adds to that. The versions complement each other.

Wes762

Smash Cadet
NNID
wes762
I'm just glad there even is a 3DS version. I would have liked it a little less if it was Wii U only.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Even without considering Mewtwo and all that, it's pretty clear the Wii U version is where the bulk of the development went.

The 3DS version is still great whenever away from the Wii U, allowing one to play Smash everywhere and anywhere.

The fact you can transfer characters adds to that. The versions complement each other.
There's also the probability that the stat ranges between 3DS equipment and Wii U equipment will be different. I have not seen ANY 3DS equipment that offer a triple digit stat boost, but in the Wii U version...

Notice how the Max-Power Gloves offer a whopping +179 attack boost? Nothing like that is present in the 3DS version.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
I feel you. Can't get my wii u until christmas too.

On topic, I don't think it's pointless for me as...I can't always be on the tv. I mean yeah, I'm home most of the time and smash wii u I'll be on a lot, but 3DS will be nice for those online matches I wanna play before bed. Also times when I let my little bro play on the wii u I can be on the 3DS version, so I don't think it's pointless.

They still did a pretty good job making a portable version of smash and getting it to work on a 3DS. If the 3DS wasn't limited in what it could do, it could've held a few more interesting modes, but they still did a decent job on it.
I can only get this game and a Wii U in January so I hope that makes you feel better.
And don't forget, you don't need a TV to use your Wii U. You can use a Gamepad without ever having to touch the TV. That's what I'll do most of the time.

Last edited:

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
I can only get this game and a Wii U in January so I hope that makes you feel better.
And don't forget, you don't need a TV to use your Wii U. You can use a Gamepad without ever having to touch the TV. That's what I'll do most of the time.
It makes me feel a lil better. :p

And I'd rather not play on that. That little Gamepad bugs me for reasons I can't explain because I don't know myself. >-<

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There's also the probability that the stat ranges between 3DS equipment and Wii U equipment will be different. I have not seen ANY 3DS equipment that offer a triple digit stat boost, but in the Wii U version...

Notice how the Max-Power Gloves offer a whopping +179 attack boost? Nothing like that is present in the 3DS version.
I'm sure you could get that in 3DS version if you played four player Smash Run, since the rewards are better depending on the number of players.

I've also noticed that my equipment seems to be getting better and better as I play single player modes. There might be a hidden "levelling up" system that defines the quality of the equipment you get.

------------------------------------------------

Regardless of whether or not the 3DS version held the Wii U version back, with the exception of there being no Adventure Mode of any kind, the Wii U version as it stands is WELL above and beyond any expectations I would have had for a new Smash game before the official reveal at E3 2013.

So whether or not the 3DS version did hold it back seems like a REALLY arbitrary point to make at this stage.

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
I don't disagree, I feel like I shoulda just waited for the wii-u version for my personal wants of smash4.

Portability is a small up for me, I don't really have long commutes to work... <_<

......... or safe ones.

Cubonebonebone

Smash Cadet
What's with all the sad threads xxmiles? :( There are a whole bunch of people that won't get a chance to play smash at all without the 3ds version. A couple of my friends don't have the means to buy a wii u but already had a 3ds so we get to play all the time now. I don't see how having an extra game could have any negatives. No one was forced into buying it and it gave many more people a chance to play a game we all love. Also I got to give more money to a company I love for a game I love :D

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
It has Smash Run, but would I be willing to trade the 3DS version to have a Wii U version with more characters and content? Duh. Making two versions was always redundant.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
It has Smash Run, but would I be willing to trade the 3DS version to have a Wii U version with more characters and content? Duh. Making two versions was always redundant.
Except Wii Us cant be carried around.

And that's the point of portable Smash. For it to be portable.

So it's not redundant at all.

In fact many people wanted this.

EDIT:

BTW, Sakurai DID say he didn't want to make the roster bigger than the Brawl roster, as he doesn't like overly big rosters, and each character DOES take a WHILE to balance, program, etc.

Last edited:

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
No one is forcing you to buy the 3ds version. Yeah a better version came out on a better platform. Obviously it should be better in a lot of ways. But in no way does that mean the 3ds is bad. It's just lesser by comparison. As it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom