• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I kinda feel like the 3DS version is pointless now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tythaeus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX-R4GE-Xx
3DS FC
4038-7179-8613
Just wanted to say that not everyone who wants to play Smash has a Wii U. That's more than enough reason to make a 3DS version. Well at least to me it is.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
They kind of can, actually. Thanks to Off-TV play as long as you've got an outlet, you can play Smash. With a proper control stick, even!
But you need an outlet

You don't need an outlet for the 3ds version.

And a 3ds is much more portable.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
I don't find the 3DS version pointless. Here's why.
>Same roster as WU version, except more pintsized
>Smash Run, especially if you were into City Trial from Kirby Air Ride
>Different stages from WU version
>Wins the 3DS Graphics Beauty Contest by a long shot (Looking at you, WayForward. That includes you.:troll:)

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
But you need an outlet

You don't need an outlet for the 3ds version.
You need an outlet for the 3DS version like once every 2 hours, lol. 3DS has such horrible battery life.

I'm over the existence of the 3DS version now, but I still hope they just do one version for Smash 5.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
Most of the time when I'm gaming, I'm at home, so the 3DS version will be mostly pointless to own once I get my hands on the Wii U version.

Even then, when I do bring my 3DS version somewhere, portable Smash will be great.

The Wii U version is superior, but we can't act like we didn't expect it to be. We knew what we were getting into when we bought a cheaper, portable version of the same game.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
To be fair, the Wii U's 8-player features probably would've been too much for the Ice Climbers to handle anyway.
Sakurai himself said that Ice Climbers were working nice and easy on WiiU. The WiiU is clearly way more powerful than we thought, and the 3DS is way less powerful.

But have you compared it to any other 3ds game on the market?

Because comparing a handheld game to a console game is like comparing a fit child and a fit adult in a running competition.

I think you see where I'm going with this.
There are A LOT of better 3DS games. Kid Icarus by Sakurai himself it's like from a totally different planet.

I wonder how many of you people actually play Sm4sh outside of your house LOL. I made 50+ hours on it, NEVER outside of my room. And by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQw5w2wdGvU LOL

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Really? I think the exact opposite. Why would I ever want to buy the Wii U version if I already got the 3ds version? To get one new character in six months? Gimme a break...

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
Really? I think the exact opposite. Why would I ever want to buy the Wii U version if I already got the 3ds version? To get one new character in six months? Gimme a break...
If the only thing you caught was that mewtwo was added with the WiiU you obviously didn't watch the 50 fact video.

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
If the only thing you caught was that mewtwo was added with the WiiU you obviously didn't watch the 50 fact video.
I did watch it. And there was nothing in it that justifies a double dip at this point.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
But have you compared it to any other 3ds game on the market?

Because comparing a handheld game to a console game is like comparing a fit child and a fit adult in a running competition.

I think you see where I'm going with this.
Why do you keep saying "compare it to another 3ds game not a console one" what other game is like smash bros on the 3ds? None, so how does it make sense to compare it to a game in totally different genre? Might as well compare mario 3d world to watch dogs because it wouldn't be fair to compare it to 3d land.

This is the fourth smash bros in the series, how wouldn't you compare it to the older ones? Plus, what would you compare? Content? Because content is only reletive to the player, smash 4 has 51 characters that's a lot but I only like to play as 15 of them so the rest don't mean much to me, same goes for every game's content. Anything else you would compare wouldn't mean anything to either games because the genres aren't even the same

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Why do you keep saying "compare it to another 3ds game not a console one" what other game is like smash bros on the 3ds? None, so how does it make sense to compare it to a game in totally different genre? Might as well compare mario 3d world to watch dogs because it wouldn't be fair to compare it to 3d land.

This is the fourth smash bros in the series, how wouldn't you compare it to the older ones? Plus, what would you compare? Content? Because content is only reletive to the player, smash 4 has 51 characters that's a lot but I only like to play as 15 of them so the rest don't mean much to me, same goes for every game's content. Anything else you would compare wouldn't mean anything to either games because the genres aren't even the same
The genres aren't the same, but the platform is. My argument was not about how the game plays, as it's obvious Smash 3ds is awesome to play, but rather.

As a 3ds game, how's it do? it does well.

I never played Kid Icarus Uprising, and I have heard it was good. But then it becomes a matter of opinion. I, for one, like Smash bros. I also like the 3ds. Thus, Smash Bros on the 3ds is, logically, for me.

If Smash 3ds isn't for you, then that means you either don't like the 3ds, don't like Smash Bros, or you don't follow logical thought.

And if you would have preferred a game with more content, the Wii U version's comin out.

So yeah.

Oh and half the time I play it at home, half the time I play it at the university or bus, or whatever.

Last edited:

Swedish_Otaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Swedish_otaku
Well duh. We knew this the moment is was announced. The very fact that it's on 3DS makes it inferior in many ways. =S It's only good for traveling or fighting with friends who are too poor to buy Wii U.

PeachPlumPear

Smash Cadet
I don't think it's useless at all.

1. It was released earlier so you could test out balance changes and etc. on characters before the "competitive" console version was announced
2. Easier to bring to a friend's house while still keeping your personal record
3. Cheaper game on a cheaper system
4. Still offers the core gameplay
5. Can bring it to a Smash 4 tournament and play it while you wait to play in the tournament
6. Can bring your custom movesets to a tournament if they don't have all custom moves unlocked on the console
7. I actually like Smash Run
8. More of my friends have a 3DS than have a Wii U (including myself) so I can actually play this game with them

There are no features on Smash 4 U that make me want to buy them both. Mewtwo will probably be released as purchasable DLC a bit after the promotional event is done. There are only 3 main benefits I see on the console version:

1. Higher resolution
2. Gamecube controller
3. More/different stages

Literally anything else on the console version doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game. I don't really care about Ice Climbers because from what I remember they were ridiculously annoying to play against if the person knew how to use them due to getting stuck in hitstun and chain grabs, and I never found them fun to play. Nor did they have a notable game franchise outside of smash brothers.

If you think Smash 3DS is useless and you are complaining because you bought 3DS, you are being ridiculous. Did you somehow miss the memo that there was a Wii U release as well? Did you think a 4 and a half year old handheld console was going to have anywhere near the same experience as a 2 year old home console? Would you prefer they water down the Wii U version so that the two would be exactly the same?

Or are you just angry that there's a 3DS version at all? If this is your reason, you don't understand economics very well. It's a dualistic opportunity: make more money and have a wider market by releasing your game on two systems. The DS and 3DS are some of the best-selling consoles ever. There have been about 44 million 3DS systems sold worldwide, compared to the 7 million Wii U units. You are more than quintupling your potential market just by including the 3DS in your sales. Do you want less people to play Smash? Are you an elitist who thinks Smash should only be played competitively? Because otherwise there isn't a downside to selling Smash on the 3DS. The 3DS and the Wii U are at their hearts casual, family-friendly consoles. Smash started out as a party game that catered to the casual crowd, but it grew into a competitive fighting game because of a dedicated audience. However, the competitive side is still a (significant) minority. The game is first and foremost for fun -- and by selling it on two casual-oriented systems, they are reaching the target demographic and achieving that goal.

So which part is bothering you? The fact that they're trying to allow more people to play smash? The fact that they're keeping it fun? That you can play a short smash match in between classes, while waiting for a bus, basically anywhere? I don't know, it seems like you're just experiencing sour grapes.

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Just throwing out there, some of us don't want to shell out money for a Wii U and the game just to play when they already have a DS. Any argument about how I should quit whining and just buy the Wii U game, or that the DS version is a portable version and I need to shut up and deal with it is pretty mean spirited. I'm fine that the Wii U version is going to have more features just because it can handle it, but the amount of features added (included special smash and more stages/music) makes me feel like the 3DS version is a $50 demo.

Edit: With that said, I've felt gyped by games before, so I'll learn to live with this. I mean, we're getting Mewtwo for both versions. I can live without stamina mode. :/

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
The genres aren't the same, but the platform is. My argument was not about how the game plays, as it's obvious Smash 3ds is awesome to play, but rather.

As a 3ds game, how's it do? it does well.

I never played Kid Icarus Uprising, and I have heard it was good. But then it becomes a matter of opinion. I, for one, like Smash bros. I also like the 3ds. Thus, Smash Bros on the 3ds is, logically, for me.

If Smash 3ds isn't for you, then that means you either don't like the 3ds, don't like Smash Bros, or you don't follow logical thought.

And if you would have preferred a game with more content, the Wii U version's comin out.

So yeah.

Oh and half the time I play it at home, half the time I play it at the university or bus, or whatever.
You're saying people should'nt compare smash 4 to other smash games just because of the console difference, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be talking about this issue if we were praising the game for its better character balance over brawls. it seems there's a double standard when talking about smash 3ds, you can say how much better it is to previous games, but as soon as you bring up flaws all of the sudden you can't compare them.

This isn't just aimed at you, I've been hearing a lot if people say similar things when someone doesn't like something about it

Last edited:

shogungari

Smash Apprentice
Okay, Nintendo wanted people to feel the way he does about smash 3ds to build up hype for the wii u version, notice how most of the 50 things they mentioned were in other smash games? They didn't make a direct for the modes the 3ds version wouldn't have, so could you blame someone who Bought the game and was disappointed by the modes that weren't there? You seem like a person who just likes traditional smash bros, which is fine but some people like it casually some times there for need more variety in what they play. I don't think it's a matter of sour grapes but a difference in perspective

I'm actually one of the casual players. I mean, the first thing I did when I got smash was make a Mii of all my characters and have them duke it out. I didn't bother with the metagame until my friend started challenging me to fights. I'd kill for a stamina mode because I always enjoyed it (even if they were really short). I'm not blaming anyone for buying any version of the game, it's just considering how many things were added to the Wii U version versus the 3DS version it feels like the 3DS version is only half made at this point. If it wasn't for the fact both games have the same fighters with the same mechanics (which is all that matters in the grand scheme of things), I'd feel like Nintendo was losing its touch.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
You're saying people should'nt compare smash 4 to other smash games just because of the console difference, I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be talking about this issue if we were praising the game for its better character balance over brawls. it seems there's a double standard when talking about smash 3ds, you can say how much better it is to previous games, but as soon as you bring up flaws all of the sudden you can't compare them.

This isn't just aimed at you, I've been hearing a lot if people say similar things when someone doesn't like something about it
Actually this thread is aimed to say the 3ds version is pointless.

Not that is has flaws, but that it's pointless.

I admit, it lacks a lot compared to the Wii U, whether it be due to hardware limitations or marketing technique. Whatevs.

But the reason I ask it to be compared to other 3ds games is simply to ask the question of, can this stand out as its own game?

if so, it's not just some pointless demo of the Wii U version.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I'm actually one of the casual players. I mean, the first thing I did when I got smash was make a Mii of all my characters and have them duke it out. I didn't bother with the metagame until my friend started challenging me to fights. I'd kill for a stamina mode because I always enjoyed it (even if they were really short). I'm not blaming anyone for buying any version of the game, it's just considering how many things were added to the Wii U version versus the 3DS version it feels like the 3DS version is only half made at this point. If it wasn't for the fact both games have the same fighters with the same mechanics (which is all that matters in the grand scheme of things), I'd feel like Nintendo was losing its touch.
Actually that was my and I didn't mean to reply to you

Soul.

It's not pointless. They made a good job making Smash on a handheld.
The Wii U Direct honestly didn't change my mind on the decision of "should I get it?". I'm still not interested on the console.
If you see people being so defensive on the 3DS version it's because they are tired of seeing their game receive a lot of hate for no reason.
Even if I got a Wii U, I would play Smash Wii U less than the 3DS version. But then again, I'm really not interested on the Wii U at all.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I don't think it's useless at all.

1. It was released earlier so you could test out balance changes and etc. on characters before the "competitive" console version was announced
2. Easier to bring to a friend's house while still keeping your personal record
3. Cheaper game on a cheaper system
4. Still offers the core gameplay
5. Can bring it to a Smash 4 tournament and play it while you wait to play in the tournament
6. Can bring your custom movesets to a tournament if they don't have all custom moves unlocked on the console
7. I actually like Smash Run
8. More of my friends have a 3DS than have a Wii U (including myself) so I can actually play this game with them

There are no features on Smash 4 U that make me want to buy them both. Mewtwo will probably be released as purchasable DLC a bit after the promotional event is done. There are only 3 main benefits I see on the console version:

1. Higher resolution
2. Gamecube controller
3. More/different stages

Literally anything else on the console version doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game. I don't really care about Ice Climbers because from what I remember they were ridiculously annoying to play against if the person knew how to use them due to getting stuck in hitstun and chain grabs, and I never found them fun to play. Nor did they have a notable game franchise outside of smash brothers.

If you think Smash 3DS is useless and you are complaining because you bought 3DS, you are being ridiculous. Did you somehow miss the memo that there was a Wii U release as well? Did you think a 4 and a half year old handheld console was going to have anywhere near the same experience as a 2 year old home console? Would you prefer they water down the Wii U version so that the two would be exactly the same?

Or are you just angry that there's a 3DS version at all? If this is your reason, you don't understand economics very well. It's a dualistic opportunity: make more money and have a wider market by releasing your game on two systems. The DS and 3DS are some of the best-selling consoles ever. There have been about 44 million 3DS systems sold worldwide, compared to the 7 million Wii U units. You are more than quintupling your potential market just by including the 3DS in your sales. Do you want less people to play Smash? Are you an elitist who thinks Smash should only be played competitively? Because otherwise there isn't a downside to selling Smash on the 3DS. The 3DS and the Wii U are at their hearts casual, family-friendly consoles. Smash started out as a party game that catered to the casual crowd, but it grew into a competitive fighting game because of a dedicated audience. However, the competitive side is still a (significant) minority. The game is first and foremost for fun -- and by selling it on two casual-oriented systems, they are reaching the target demographic and achieving that goal.

So which part is bothering you? The fact that they're trying to allow more people to play smash? The fact that they're keeping it fun? That you can play a short smash match in between classes, while waiting for a bus, basically anywhere? I don't know, it seems like you're just experiencing sour grapes.
Okay, Nintendo wanted people to feel the way he does about smash 3ds to build up hype for the wii u version, notice how most of the 50 things they mentioned were in other smash games? They didn't make a direct for the modes the 3ds version wouldn't have, so could you blame someone who Bought the game and was disappointed by the modes that weren't there? You seem like a person who just likes traditional smash bros, which is fine but some people like it casually some times there for need more variety in what they play. I don't think it's a matter of sour grapes but a difference in perspective

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
It's not pointless. They made a good job making Smash on a handheld.
The Wii U Direct honestly didn't change my mind on the decision of "should I get it?". I'm still not interested on the console.
If you see people being so defensive on the 3DS version it's because they are tired of seeing their game receive a lot of hate for no reason.
Even if I got a Wii U, I would play Smash Wii U less than the 3DS version. But then again, I'm really not interested on the Wii U at all.
What's the hate that you hear that doesn't have reasons? Because from what I hear they have plenty of reasons, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it hate because no one has said they out right hate the game.

Unless you travel a lot I don't think anyone here would play the 3ds version over the wii u version if they had both, but hey I guess you do

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
I totally agree that a lack of Special smash modes in the 3ds is pretty inexcusable. I really thought that was a standard. But everywhere else I'm pretty happy with it.

PeachPlumPear

Smash Cadet
I just like Smash Bros, but I never found much fun in the special modes or etc. Stamina mode just makes it an unbalanced version of other 2D fighters.

I expected Smash 3DS to be a barebones version of Smash Bros and that's exactly what I got -- I don't know what else people were expecting. There was even a demo of it so you could find out if it had the modes or not (even from other people), so I don't know why people in here are saying they wasted their money.

As far as "need for variety," there's the Wii U version for that, but the novelty of all of that wears off pretty quickly. Not many people stay for the extra-curricular modes. They're all just bells and whistles; what makes the game is the "core gameplay," ie: smash mode. It's fun to play with friends and a 3DS version makes it easier to do that.

Nagoto

Smash Rookie
For people that travel a lot it's amazing! I'm very happy with it and I'll still play it along with the WiiU version.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I just like Smash Bros, but I never found much fun in the special modes or etc. Stamina mode just makes it an unbalanced version of other 2D fighters.

I expected Smash 3DS to be a barebones version of Smash Bros and that's exactly what I got -- I don't know what else people were expecting. There was even a demo of it so you could find out if it had the modes or not (even from other people), so I don't know why people in here are saying they wasted their money.

As far as "need for variety," there's the Wii U version for that, but the novelty of all of that wears off pretty quickly. Not many people stay for the extra-curricular modes. They're all just bells and whistles; what makes the game is the "core gameplay," ie: smash mode. It's fun to play with friends and a 3DS version makes it easier to do that.
1. I'm not a fan of stamina mode either, but there are people out there who like it so I don't think it's fair to completely dismiss them

2. Not everyone had low expectations for a game especially not a smash, and again nintendo didn't tell you the features it wouldn't have so it's still kind of a deception on Nintendo's part. Also the demo wouldn't tell you what modes are available with the exception of smash run and just going from the demo you wouldn't even know there's a classic mode, also not everyone likes to spoil their experience with a by watching other people play it via leaks and early copies.

3. Any modes that the wii u adds or improves upon doesn't in anyway affect the 3ds version meaning that the wii u getting event mode doesn't change the fact that the 3ds version doesn't have it. I think it would be less if an issue if Nintendo did what sony does with the vita and cross buy where if you have the vita version you automatically have the ps3 version and vice versa. As for all those modes they're great for when you have friends over and you only need 1 wii U and 1 copy of smash 4 with some controllers which I could argue is cheaper than 3 extra 3ds' and 3 copies of smash 4

xxMiles

Smash Apprentice
What's the hate that you hear that doesn't have reasons? Because from what I hear they have plenty of reasons, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it hate because no one has said they out right hate the game.

Unless you travel a lot I don't think anyone here would play the 3ds version over the wii u version if they had both, but hey I guess you do
I don't even see how the 3DS version is crapped on.

I mean, either I was overhyped, or I'm not into Smash anymore...which I doubt.

I mean, I haven't played in a while. I'm just honestly wondering what the **** happened. I mean, after a two week burst, I have no motivation to touch it...

Maybe I'm not too into games anymore? Idk.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Like Sakurai-senpai say : " They complete each other , if you have both , you have the full experience . "

Wii U had all quality of his support . ( Graphic , More ingame space for music , stages , trophies, Better online play , tourney for tournament organization , More focussed multiplayer)

3DS had all quality of his support . ( Portable , more focussed in fun , Short session with Smash Run , easier unlocking character / challenge for casual people who just want to fun or just have time to play during travel (like me ) )

Last edited:

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I totally agree that a lack of Special smash modes in the 3ds is pretty inexcusable. I really thought that was a standard. But everywhere else I'm pretty happy with it.
I wonder if the 3ds could even come close to dealing with bunny ear giant curry melee, when it lagged brawl.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
I don't find the 3DS version pointless. Here's why.
>Same roster as WU version, except more pintsized
>Smash Run, especially if you were into City Trial from Kirby Air Ride
>Different stages from WU version
>Wins the 3DS Graphics Beauty Contest by a long shot (Looking at you, WayForward. That includes you.:troll:)
This is Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, not Resident Evil: Revelations. That game looks better than the Wii U version in some ways, and is really similar. RE:R >>>SSB3DS>> Every other 3DS game in terms of graphics IMO.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
ok lemme get this straight, the 3ds version is either pointless or not depending on your way of life.

if you enjoy carrying a brick around and playing smash then it ain't pointless.

but those who only play it indoors will leave the 3ds version to collect dust.

I'm the 2nd option, i won't play it on the bus,anywhere outside for the matter,not on holiday ect. I got a phone to entertain me outside so yep 3ds version is useless unless i get a power cut one day.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
BD has a nice artstyle, but search Resident Evil: Revelations 3DS VS WII U or XBOX 360.
Yes for a realism game this is great for the 3ds... I like the graphic but for me at least they have no soul , look like another random survival / realistic game numero 22584 of the years ...

But for wonderful Game / Level / Chara / Art Design . BD won it easy ... I will always remember those graphic , these 3Ds in the city , in battle ...

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I don't even see how the 3DS version is crapped on.

I mean, either I was overhyped, or I'm not into Smash anymore...which I doubt.

I mean, I haven't played in a while. I'm just honestly wondering what the **** happened. I mean, after a two week burst, I have no motivation to touch it...

Maybe I'm not too into games anymore? Idk.
More or less the games lack of content to mess around with.

It's like not wanting to leave your house vs knowing you can't leave your house, the difference being with the first scenario you always have the option to leave, the second one takes away that option this having you long to go outside.

Basically you don't notice what you have until it's gone, and everyone knows that too much of one thing will always be bad for you no matter how much you think you like it, so with the lack of options in the 3ds version there's nothing to help cleanse the pallets of just playing normal smash bros.

I just think you've over exposed yourself to the game, and that's not really your fault because the game has a very repetitious nature in the few modes it does have

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
They kind of can, actually. Thanks to Off-TV play as long as you've got an outlet, you can play Smash. With a proper control stick, even!
thats about the same as carrying around a laptop with no battery.
Good for the waiting room, bad for the trip.

On the note of the 53 things about the Wiiu version i found it funny how few of them actually mean diddly-squat. Almost all of them are graphical updates (its HD...no duh) and bigger levels due to the resolution change, also obvious. The boardgame seems neat but probably same thing as Mario Party - play it once or twice, get sick of it. 8player smash being a local thing only (the announcer did mention you cannot do this online) means it probably wont ever happen unless you have a TON of local friends that play, which i dont. Then theres the TONS upon TONS of music/trophy data...............who cares?

Only feature the Wiiu has that actually draws my attention is the map maker. They seem to make it actually work now and give you a ton of options. For that, i am excited, nothing else (HD is nice but i am an 8-bit junky, long as it isnt rancid graphics i dont care).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom