• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I just want to make you... smile!! -- A POSITIVE Brawl Thread

shadowed_phoenix

Smash Apprentice
Awesomeness

Even if we got Metroid prime: corruption, Twighlight princess, Mario galaxy, little big planet, MGS4, Street fighter 4, Soul calibur 4, tekken 6 and smash bros. melee and then Duck taped them together to form a supreme ultimate fantastic uber game of awesomeness.
They still wouldn't be half as good as brawls going to be. :laugh:

BraveDave88

Smash Apprentice
Ah, remember when Snake was first announced? Remember that rush of pure, unadulterated gamer excitement you felt when you heard the news? When you heard Snake, in that thick Japanese accent say: "It's show time!" Yeah, I remember those days. We need to keep that excitement alive, people! We need to remember that we already have some incredibly awesome characters in the game as is! Even if 35 is the real number of characters we're going to have in the game, Brawl will still be amazing. Brawl will still be the Wii's finest hour.

Besides, we're being presented with a newcomer list that is far superior to Melee's. A justified Young Link in Wind Waker form, Wolf and Falco with (assumed) unique move sets and R.O.B. who I know will not disappoint if this all turns out to be true. Hey, I bet R.O.B. will even be top tier. :-)

Positive Brawl outlook, I say yes!

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Ah I don't understand why this thread keeps dying.

I've been watching the awesome store demo vids http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=139080, so awesome!!!

This thread has helped many people, including me, to get through the delay and it should be able to live and see the release of Brawl!!!

Everyone, this is the time to be excited, happy, and smile!!!

Brawl Japan Release this THURSDAY!!!!
4 Days, 42 Days for US release (T_T sorry, can't hold back my tears, at least we will know everything we could possibly want about Brawl!).

Elysium

Smash Lord
Brawl Japan Release this THURSDAY!!!![/B] 4 Days, 42 Days for US release (T_T sorry, can't hold back my tears, at least we will know everything we could possibly want about Brawl!).
Except why we've been getting some lame updates so close to release. :laugh:

Seriously people cheer up.
Even if your like me and go through the constant roller coaster of leaks confirming or disconfirming your favorite Character, it's no reason to get down in the dumps about it. How many characters were wanted in melee that never got in, and we've been playing that for how long?

Master_Yang

Smash Cadet
I remember when I first heard about the first Brawl video release. I'd just come home from work, I was feeling really depressed for some reason, and my friend told me I had to check out this link he sent me. I really wasn't in the mood, but after watching it....I was dancing around the house.

Brawl, no matter what it eventually turns out like, will be a great game. I don't care what any naysayers want to moan about, I have more faith in Brawl than in any other release of anything to date.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
*BUMP*

Brawl is the greatest game I've ever played. The stages are EXTREMELY cool and well designed, the gameplay is refined and polished for maximum fun factor and the characters are more varied and awesome than ever!

I hope everyone helps counter the nay-sayers by using this thread to heep praise on our beloved Brawl. :)

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
Hell Yeah!

BRAWL IS SO FRICKIN AWESOME!

I don't know why people were *****in bout it.

EternalCrusade

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely, I don't understand how anyone can complain about brawl or say that it's worse than melee. ALL I did yesterday was play that game and it's crazy fun! So many options, so many characters, so many stages, and SSE is the ****!!

regorris

Smash Apprentice
You know what's hot? The Dojo is still updating! You never know what kind of neat trick you're going to see there next (like Samus->Zamus via taunt).

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
I got to play Brawl at my local Gamestop today. And I must say, I'm very impressed. All those complaints about Brawl are WAY off. This will definitely be a game that will stand the test of time.

'course, I only played for 14 minutes. But still, it's a fun game.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
im glad theres FINALLY a positive thread!

i just cant believe people are actually complaining about how balanced the game is.

EVERY CHARACTER IS GOOD.

BALANCE OF FLAT AND GIMMICK LEVELS ARE GODLY.

and we have a feckin Stage editor.

please.
c'mon.

if there was a system made EXCLUSIVELY for smash, id buy it.

dustyjuicebox

Smash Cadet
I would just like to say thanks and point out something that will show you how good a game brawl is. Look at all the posts we have on this thread. Now look at all of them on the negative ones. First of all half of the posts on the negative ones are people telling the person to **** off because they're wrong and I couldn't agree more. So now that you have a concept of how many people are complaining and how many aren't you can really appreciate how good a game brawl is. Besides half of the people saying bad things are just doing it for the attention. So go buy brawl and if you already have it thank nintendo for the mother of all fighting games.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
I played a ton of team battles with friends yesterday and I must say the slower pace made this mode much, much more enjoyable than in Melee. I predict that team battles could grow as popular as 1 vs 1s, actually.

Just another way Brawl blows every other videogame out of the water. :)

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
This game is near perfection literally. The characters are now much more balanced"At least it feels that way" and its just so fun. They added everything they needed to. If this game doesn't get game of the year I will be annoyed.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
Good game of countering and reading your opponent. I actually like the camping; can't be bad if a tad more variation is brung into it.

Its definately more of a good videogame than a good fighting game though, its focus is definately changed from its predecessor.

Hmmm...camping isn't the only thing one can do in this game you know. I have plenty of friends who play ridiculously aggressively, and they're pretty darned good at the game too. For every action there is a reaction, so if someone camps, find a way around it, or manipulate it to your advantage. Besides, it's been, what? Two months so far? Three months? People are finding things wrong with Brawl because Melee was already all set up for them when they came onto these boards, and then a new game comes out with completely new everything, and they find that they are the ones who must discover stuff. It's all waiting to be found. It's a great game, and it's going to take a while before many AT's are discovered and people can play like they did in Melee. It's improved if you ask me. I love Melee, and I will forever, but Brawl is where it's at now. It's an awesome game. Great music, better single player games, better graphics, more characters, more stages...how you could you not stand in awe of the amazing game that it is?

Ramgigon

Smash Journeyman
This is where I put whether or not I like Brawl
Hmmm...camping isn't the only thing one can do in this game you know. I have plenty of friends who play ridiculously aggressively, and they're pretty darned good at the game too.
I know! I play an aggressive Meta Knight, and I beat my friend's defensive Kirby every time. Camping isn't all you can do.

But feel free to ignore my Smash n00b experience. :laugh:

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
OH MY GOD ERICH. I SAID I LIKE THE CAMPING, SHUT UP AND KILL YOURSELF

I'm totally kidding, I have a nasty sense of humor, but I agree almost totally. I understand what you said

Actually, I agree with all of it.

Were you pretty competetive with melee or not? Just wondering since your join date is quite old. Whats your opinion on it compared to Brawl?

Just wondering, because most people not myself seem to have a thing for being noobs when they say they genuinly love brawl, or not being able to see deeper than surface level, but I have high hopes because of your join date, typing style and also liking melee alongside it.

Well...I was, for a long, long time, the best Smasher in NM, and by far among the top ten in the four corners and possibly Texas too. So yes, I was pretty competitive in Melee I guess. Currently I am not ranked in NM for Brawl because I have attended no tournaments yet, but we'll see if I can't change that soon. And my opinion on it compared to Brawl...that is a hard thing to answer in a single post or topic. My opinion is kind of spread around the boards here and there, in different topics. To try and sum it up:

I loved Melee, I really did. But now, Melee is in the past and so we must cope now with the new thing. Brawl was never meant to be a Melee 2.0, much to the chagrine of many people, just as Melee was never meant to be played on the level we played it at just one year ago, and that is part of where the arguments come from. I quote from Forward now:
I once had a conversation with DSF and he brought up that a lot of the players that don't like brawl are the people who came in late to melee and copied. They didn't create their own tactics, they took what was already good and improved on it.

When Melee was first released, it was a much different game than what you see today. It didn't have insane combos, people didn't l cancel, no one dash danced and a few people spammed wavedashes, it would look something like how Brawl looks today. Would the current melee fans still play if it weren't developed?

Our own knowledge of brawl is limited, we just haven't had the time to internalize the game like we have with melee. Good melee players know the properties, offensively and defensively, of almost every attack in the game; how to set it up/approach with it, where the move sends them, how they should DI it, what can counter a follow up to that move, and how to bait it out. In melee I know 90% of all the character's moves, there will always be a few low tiers I don't know and the top IC and Jigg metagame that only 5 people will ever know. In brawl I understand 5% of all the character's moves.

In closing all I can say is it's a matter of preference. If you enjoy exploring new territory you'll enjoy brawl regardless of the current play style. If you can't give up the technical skill (which I admit was fun, but not for everybody) then you will have a hard time enjoying brawl. END QUOTE.

I love Brawl just as much as Melee, but it will take a long time before people truly appreciate it for what it is. Sadly, but truthfully.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
lol i remember how happy i was and excitied as hell about the game.

but man are matches BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORing and slow. the wifi, the tripping into ikes f-smash

the glitchy *** characters with infinites, half ***** SSE. all looked good in trailers.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
watch the match I clicked. if all else fails keep the hell away from me.

Edit - I see you looked judging from your comment on yt. That didn't take much. Yeah, ok, you can not keep the hell away from me.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
YOU'RE ALPHA ZEaalottt? IN DISGUISE?! WHAT DID YOU DO WITH THE REAL ALPHA ZEALOT?!!

edit - http://youtube.com/watch?v=FdaTZBr7zGg click for epic brawl.
That's far from epic...Two regular players could replicate that in Melee. That's a good Brawl match, but only a decent-standard Melee one. Honestly, think of it from this persepctive. Remove, the graphics, characters, and stages from both games and just leave the gameplay. Which would you choose, Melee or Brawl?

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
I typically don't like people stuck on the subjective view that one game absolutely trumps the other in all aspects so I think you shouldn't post here or I'm going to laugh. Typically I agree with Alpha on the aspect we haven't internalized the game yet, and I also find watching that match about as intense as a typical Ken vs Azen fight in Melee. If I ignore the flash and the cheese, I actually find the defensive and intense poking going on between them two more amusing.

I just like defensive as hell games, its always been my playstyle. It looks epic to me, because I've actually been internalizing brawl and playing it; I understand the mechanics intimately so some of the 'decent standard' looking stuff in that fight is far more risky than it looks, in such a defensive and focused game. Rather than complaining about it, I've been getting better, so what may look visually a chore to you is probably quite impressive to one advancing their defenses about 4 hours a day, and trying to figure out guesstimate framedata.

Also, understanding melee has nothing to do with it; Thats Zero Suit Samus. Alot of the tricks and tether crap is exclusive to her moveset.

Characters make up a big deal of a fighter; but if you really have to strip all that down... Yeah, Melee, hands down. Thats not hard since Brawls character specific as hell and Melee is far more internalized, and focused on universal crap.

I think its far beyond epic, when all is said and done. So you have... an opinion, pretty much.

shatoga

Smash Cadet
Wow. You know, I had actually forgotten about that piece of info. Thanks for raising it.

Personally, having worked as a QA Tester at Namco, I've found out that dev teams and testers are NOT brain-dead morons like the gaming community assumes, but intelligent people who are actually competent at their jobs. If Sakurai's brought hardcore Smashers onto the team, I have full confidence that they know what they're doing.
Of course.Most game testers have to look for every glitch in the whole game.Most of them could probably be pro.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
Last thing I'll say on this since I believe this particular point is so deeply etched into fact that any predjudice will just sound ridicolous and laughable after it, but

A Blog Thats Pretty Awesome said:
I think we’ve established that this post will be bull****, so don’t blame me if my drunken ramblings make no sense. With that disclaimer, here is my attempt at describing what I consider to be art in videogames.

The weakest kind of arguement for art in the context of videogames is, I think, a pretty game. Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Rez, all that ****. ****ing weakass opinion-offerers (for lack of a better descriptive) will constantly make a call to arms along the lines of “justify your habit! Tell people this game is ****ing art cos it’s pretty and people will look down on you less! We’re as good as movies!”

**** that ****. Kate Moss is beautiful when she poses but that’s not art. Maybe the process of creating the visual style of a game like Okami is not grounded solely in pushing the technological limits of the machine in a way that basically imitates another visual form, but I doubt it. It’s artistic, maybe, but it’s not art. Well, not the visual style, anyway. That’s imitation, and beauty, but not really what I think is art.

I said that was the weakest as if there were loads, but on reflection there’s only one other justification I’ve seen - that the creation of the game is an artform. Perhaps that is, it gets tricky there. But so much is just reaction to research and refinement of technique. It’s creating something that people will love. That’s not what I consider art to be. I consider art to be expression, but in truth I obviously don’t know. But there is another form of art in videogames that doesn’t seem to ever be considered, and this is the arguement for gaming as a valid pursuit that appeals to me the most but seems to get no attention at all but must surely count as the most definitely valid and verifiable, and that’s of performance.

There’s no question that at its very highest level, martial arts are just that - art. And they’re that in a very physical sense as is, say, ballet, but definitely an artform. Many martial arts are more aesthetically pleasing than they are effective and that is, I feel, an artisitic choice. It’s certainly not a practical one, and any decision in which form takes precedence over function is a decision that perhaps qualifies for art in my books as they are a form of expression. Some games provide the ability to make those choices.

Any form of expression can be offered as art. A friend once told me that, and as he is most definitely an artist I have to take his word for it. I’m not. I do often feel that I make choices in games that prioritise my need for expression over that of function. And all games have a function. All have a sense of progression that ties everything together. So any choice I make that deviates from progressing at the absolute efficiency must surely qualify for consideration as an artistic choice. Admittedly, not many games are of a level of complexity that allow such a scenario to exist (Brain Training LOL) and those that do are often impenetrable to all but the most dedicated of followers. That’s perhaps why there’s so little recognition for this kind of expression. Dance is immediately obvious, whereas the choices that Daigo made in his now infamous full-parry match against Justin Wong are only really understandable by those that saw all of the games in that match and understood the mechanics of the game intimately. Daigo played. He literally played. He didn’t set out to just win, he expressed himself through the medium of an incredibly complex, perhaps the most intricate, fighting game.

Chibita, my own personal favourite Virtua Fighter player, regularly qualifies as an artist in my books from watching the choices he makes and realising that he is often choosing to express himself over simply winning the match. Anyone who doesn’t understand how his character works, let alone how the game works, would not see that. I remember once watching him play a match in which he used every single move in Lion’s formidably extensive arsenal, and did so as a deliberate choice. He did win, actually, but I felt that he achieved what he set out to do which was more than just win. He took the process of playing Virtua Fighter and took it to another level beyond mere showmanship. That’s art in games to me.

Other people deserve credit, I think. Saur Dash’s deconstruction of the system in Devil May Cry 3 and the choices he makes in that game can be considered as art (go search youTube for evidence). Anyone who chooses to prioritise their performance over their score in Guitar Hero can be consididered an artist, regardless of result. Anyone who chooses to crawl through a small crack in the wall in Call of Duty 4 just because it’s there is expressing. Anyone who jumps down from up high to challenge another player who has a sword even though they only have a magnum pistol in Halo 3, just because they feel the need, is expressing themself. Anyone who plays Prince of Persia and doesn’t allow the Prince to make a full rotation after grabbing any pole is making a deliberately non-functional decision. Anyone who runs up the stairs in Peach’s castle just so they can backflip onto the banister and bum-grind down is expressing. And that, I think, is art.
I really doubt you understand the mechanics of brawl intimately enough if you dislike it all that much. Most who recognise it and like it as a defensive game, and have been researching alot, would be pretty amused by that fight I linked to. In fact, theres a guy above you who spoke of the game sucking for various reasons alot like yours and then he got convinced by it as evident by his YT comment. Maybe he understood the game more?

Looking stylish to a bystander or a melee player doesn't matter. What matters is looking epic or stylish to a brawl player.

If you realize so many things in the game are unsafe in the face of defensive play, then slightly fun things become ridicolously fun to look at, namely because of such lack of safety.

I personally don't find many melee matches too particularly epic to watch. Why? I didn't play it at high level, I don't understand the choices and mechanics the players are manipulating. It has less connection to me.

I don't really care for convincing melee players that a brawl match is epic to look at.

Whoa guys, relax. I'm definitely not AlphaZealot in disguise, I guess I just think deep like he does.

You're being a bit dull-brained Rhubardo. The mechanics of Brawl are, as I stated, completely different from Melee. You cannot compare Melee to Brawl in this aspect. In fact, all people who say that Melee is harder to be good at than Brawl are simply stating their opinion that they like Melee more. They are very different games in the aspect of mechanics and gameplay. You cannot say that match looked lame because a Melee game would have looked more epic, because they are not the same game. This kind of logic makes no sense to me. Two regular Melee players could NEVER replicate that match in Brawl because they are two completely different games.

Top Bottom