• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I hate to say this, no wait, actually I really love saying this

Atmapalazzo

Smash Cadet
Falcon... is... so... incredibly... badass!

I mean, all those nay sayers out there tell me to just put Falcon away and wait for another day (or game in this case) need to learn this, Falcon is viable.

Two things I've noticed about Falcon

people underestimate his air game, and pay for it.
falcon is hard to juggle, and some characters can't deal with it.

Am I wrong and just misinterpreting my games or am I right? Either way, Falcon = awesome sauce.

Romancer

Smash Cadet
He sucks ****, but so did pichu in melee, and it didn't stop certain players from owning with him.

Mizar

Smash Ace
No, but it keeps the forum from dying.

Anyway, I'm playing Falcon beCAUSE of his airgame. It just feels so smooth playing with him. Also, I'm better with Falcon than I am with Marth HOLY **** REALLYY, yeah really.
....what was the subject again?

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
No, but it keeps the forum from dying.

Anyway, I'm playing Falcon beCAUSE of his airgame. It just feels so smooth playing with him. Also, I'm better with Falcon than I am with Marth HOLY **** REALLYY, yeah really.
....what was the subject again?
I can't win as Marth either. lol

On topic: Falcon does have a sweet aerial/edgeguarding/recovery game. If only his ground game wasn't so horrid he would be pushing for a high tier spot. He still struggles against characters with more reach than he has but that's been the case since SSB64. Of course he had more positives to negate that negative in the old games but I still think he's decent in Brawl.

Honestly your best strategy as Falcon is to get people above you and if they get back on the ground just use aerials. lol

Reaver197

Smash Lord
I actually don't think Falcon's ground game is that bad since his tilts are pretty good. It's just his general low priority, coupled with the fact that people can attack your model through your attacks, and somewhat slow activation time he has for a lot of his attacks. His ground game ain't great, but it services if applied properly.

But yeah, Falcon would be such an awesome edgeguarding character if they didn't make his dair so ****ing dumb. God****it.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I actually don't think Falcon's ground game is that bad since his tilts are pretty good. It's just his general low priority, coupled with the fact that people can attack your model through your attacks, and somewhat slow activation time he has for a lot of his attacks. His ground game ain't great, but it services if applied properly.

But yeah, Falcon would be such an awesome edgeguarding character if they didn't make his dair so ****ing dumb. God****it.
Yeah Dair does suck now. I really only use it when I'm coming straight down on someone (like if they are trying to recover from below the stage) or if they're swimming (which is a great place to use it). I WANT MY MELEE DAIR BACK!!!!

Reaver197

Smash Lord
Yeah. I can't say how many times I've fell just short of hitting people with it. I see the little orange spark on the them going "oooohh, you almost hit them, but not really, lol", or just sending them to the side instead of the much preferred straight down. Granted, it does decent knockback when it hits to the side, and I've killed people that way (I've even hit people straight up and have killed them vertically, lol), but when I really want to meteor a character, it really just doesn't quite cut it.

So, yeah, uair or bair is usually the best option for hitting people if you aren't literally right above them. Which is poop. I want my nipple spikes.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Don't listen to people who say falcon sucks *** in brawl. He doesn't at all and he's severely underrated. He could potentially be one of the best comboers in the entire game, his up air is one of my favorite moves in the game, period. People under estimate it and it's great for off stage fighting/ledge guarding. His knee's sweetspot is different know, but it still owns. OWNS. I've had it KO at 50 percent a few times. His bair is still as useful as ever, and he's quick AND strong....

Falcon owns.
Haters haven't put in the time with him.
Or have no idea what they're talking about.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Don't listen to people who say falcon sucks *** in brawl. He doesn't at all and he's severely underrated. He could potentially be one of the best comboers in the entire game, his up air is one of my favorite moves in the game, period. People under estimate it and it's great for off stage fighting/ledge guarding. His knee's sweetspot is different know, but it still owns. OWNS. I've had it KO at 50 percent a few times. His bair is still as useful as ever, and he's quick AND strong....

Falcon owns.
Haters haven't put in the time with him.
Or have no idea what they're talking about.
That's all great but what do you do when you're facing Marth who can outreach every one of your ground moves? Falcon is good but he's mid tier at best. Also try playing online, you'll get *****. Trust me. Nothing kills Falcon like good old latency.

Iwan

Smash Ace
That's all great but what do you do when you're facing Marth who can outreach every one of your ground moves? Falcon is good but he's mid tier at best. Also try playing online, you'll get *****. Trust me. Nothing kills Falcon like good old latency.
lol yea, i actually main with marth. Ha...and i play online quite a bit...me and my teammate are 34-6 on the GB ladders. When theres no lag the game plays fine, but when there is....yea...

Falcon's recovery is totally screwed over by lag : /. And i'm well aware that he'll be middle tier at the highest, i was just pointing out his advantages.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Falcon is definitely badass, but he sucks. And I've put time into him. I can at least reliably deal with the improved level 9s without exploiting AI glitches that get them gimped. The only reason I win here is just because I'm human, and I can use strategies to try to minimize opportunities where I get punished. I can clearly tell that other characters technically have the advantage on Falcon.

Anyone who says he can combo is wrong. He like most other characters cannot reliably combo. His setups either way are worse for comboing in this game than the setups other characters get from their "combo" oriented attacks. By the way, Ganondorf for your information combos better than Falcon.

Falcon also doesn't have any reliable attacks which can kill. The few reliable attacks he does have kill at much higher percents than average, and the moves he does have that kill reasonably are extremely situational. Except for his B-air, which is pretty much still very good. So don't spam that please.

You may say Falcon is hard to juggle, but seriously everyone is hard to juggle. The physics engine is kinda lame that way. Also, Falcon's air game isn't good at all. He only has two reasonably decent aerial attacks (U-air and B-air), and everything else is a lot worse.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Falcon is definitely badass, but he sucks. And I've put time into him. I can at least reliably deal with the improved level 9s without exploiting AI glitches that get them gimped. The only reason I win here is just because I'm human, and I can use strategies to try to minimize opportunities where I get punished. I can clearly tell that other characters technically have the advantage on Falcon.

Anyone who says he can combo is wrong. He like most other characters cannot reliably combo. His setups either way are worse for comboing in this game than the setups other characters get from their "combo" oriented attacks. By the way, Ganondorf for your information combos better than Falcon.

Falcon also doesn't have any reliable attacks which can kill. The few reliable attacks he does have kill at much higher percents than average, and the moves he does have that kill reasonably are extremely situational. Except for his B-air, which is pretty much still very good. So don't spam that please.

You may say Falcon is hard to juggle, but seriously everyone is hard to juggle. The physics engine is kinda lame that way. Also, Falcon's air game isn't good at all. He only has two reasonably decent aerial attacks (U-air and B-air), and everything else is a lot worse.
I'd still have to disagree, and say that yes...falcon can indeed combo fairly well (for brawl that is). I play my teammate all the time, and he's good. He's not some bad player that "takes it" and lets me hit him, and yet i can land 5-6 hits on him consecutively with falcon.

It's not that he isn't trying to air dodge or that he's doesn't see it coming, it's just that at certain percentages, falcon can actually combo quite well. He's so quick that it takes people off guard. I mean, his dash attack alone opens up nice possibilities. DashA>utilt>uair>fair. No...i can't pull that off EVERY time. But it works fairly often against good players who know what they're doing. Also, on his air game being worse...i agree his bair and uair are still great, but the knee is also still useful. Yes, it got worse, but it still KO's extremely early and the sweetspot isn't hard to adjust to (i get it almost every time). It's still a viable move that's worth using. Falcon's air game is the best part about him, imo...because they're so easily chained together, and also because they're quick enough for opponents to under estimate them.

He did get nerfed.
But he doesn't suck.
imo.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
He still can't "truly" combo. I've done all sorts of testing in training mode at 1/4 speed and the only real combo that Falcon has is the first hit of his Nair landing very close to the ground and quickly attacking with a running attack or other fast move.

A combo isn't a combo unless the opponent is still in hitstun from the first attack when the second attack connects.

Even at 0%, all of Falcon's launching/ground moves (except the first hit of his Nair) can just be air-dodged. Even his Dair when it's done laglessly from a short hop.

Still, I don't find his ground game to be so terrible. People just need to use the AAA combo and Falcon Kick more. Also Down and Up smash are really quite nice. Up smash does a lot of damage.

I also really like his Ftilt for some reason. It just seems to flow from other moves. I found I could constantly pressure my opponent by using AAA combo and then hitting with Ftilt when he tried to roll behind, etc.

But yeah, the bad priority hurts.

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
A combo isn't a combo unless the opponent is still in hitstun from the first attack when the second attack connects.
By that definition, there are no combos in Brawl. I kinda think combos are more being faster than your opponent can react or tricking your opponent into dodging early or something rather than hitstun, because no character has any hitstun really anymore.

IWuvGeno

Smash Apprentice
There is so much rampant ignorance in here about Falcon being a viable character. It's disgusting.

He isn't good at all. He gets totally gimped by the top performing characters. He has some decent matchups with the bottom feeders. That doesn't make him middle tier. If you look at every projected tier list out there (even japanese), you'll see the same trend. This horse has been beaten to death:

His priority is absolutely worthless, he's severely punishable on block, has a horrible approach, subpar specials, and the list goes on and on.

FFS .... play more than just your partner before forming an opinion in here. Play someone reputable. Play a good Snake, Lucas, MK, Zamus, Marth, ROB, Pit, Zelda, Diddy, G&W, Wolf, Fox, Falco, Lucario and your dreams will be crushed.

I know Key already knows all this. But he's allowed to be ignorant, because he contributes. :)

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
iwuvgeno you shouldnt be preachin your cocky opinion, dont be callin people ignorant.
every character has awesome potential, only the ignorant dont know that

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
He still can't "truly" combo. I've done all sorts of testing in training mode at 1/4 speed and the only real combo that Falcon has is the first hit of his Nair landing very close to the ground and quickly attacking with a running attack or other fast move.

Even at 0%, all of Falcon's launching/ground moves (except the first hit of his Nair) can just be air-dodged. Even his Dair when it's done laglessly from a short hop.

Still, I don't find his ground game to be so terrible. People just need to use the AAA combo and Falcon Kick more. Also Down and Up smash are really quite nice. Up smash does a lot of damage.

I also really like his Ftilt for some reason. It just seems to flow from other moves. I found I could constantly pressure my opponent by using AAA combo and then hitting with Ftilt when he tried to roll behind, etc.

But yeah, the bad priority hurts.
Yeah you can usually naturally combo into a jab or throw from a landing nair/uair. The throw combo's probably my favorite. Then throw them above you for some uairing.

You can also naturally combo into a jab from a dair at certain percents.
:bee:

Iwan

Smash Ace
There is so much rampant ignorance in here about Falcon being a viable character. It's disgusting.

He isn't good at all. He gets totally gimped by the top performing characters. He has some decent matchups with the bottom feeders. That doesn't make him middle tier. If you look at every projected tier list out there (even japanese), you'll see the same trend. This horse has been beaten to death:

His priority is absolutely worthless, he's severely punishable on block, has a horrible approach, subpar specials, and the list goes on and on.

FFS .... play more than just your partner before forming an opinion in here. Play someone reputable. Play a good Snake, Lucas, MK, Zamus, Marth, ROB, Pit, Zelda, Diddy, G&W, Wolf, Fox, Falco, Lucario and your dreams will be crushed.

I know Key already knows all this. But he's allowed to be ignorant, because he contributes. :)
you should know your **** right?

And if that's the case you should know that the tier list doesn't mean ****. Seriously...the.tier.doesn't. mean. ****.

And i do play more than my partner. I run friendlies all the time and on the GB ladder my team's 34-6. C. Calcon is viable.

This isn't my opinion, it's the opinion of other people. Hell, it's only the melee falcon mains who ***** about Falcon in brawl. Have you put in the time? I'm not ignorant...i just know how to use the character i main. Falcon does have priority problems, but nothing that can't be handled by a smart player.

Seriously, your opinion's great, but i win consistently all the time with falcon. He's isn't bad. He doesn't suck. I've played hundreds of kids on these boards, the gamebattles boards, WiFi wars....

He's viable. This is coming from someone who actually uses him. There are ways around bad matchups. That's what practice is for.

Don't act like the only person i've ever played is my teammate...seriously, it sounded like you were insulting me, and if someone asked me how good i was at brawl?

I'd say i'm pretty **** good.

EDIT***...and sorry if i blew up on you there a little bit man, you did make good points...its just my opinion and your opinion i guess. I'm one of those people who loves their main and sticks with them. And i'm good with falcon now and i can only get better with him. I kinda took the bottom of your post as an insult, that's all. I've played reputable players. I've played DMbrandon and Gimpyfish, I've money matched KDJ and I've even played with Walshy (Halo pro, but still sick as hell at smash). I know my ****...lol. Sorry if that seemed hostile though.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace

lol At least I'm a loveable idiot I guess. :p

I need to play more good people too though. I need more of my dreams crushed. lol Maybe I'll see you on AllisBrawl sometime today or something. I plan on trying to see some true pros today so I can get some good insight on possible tiers and such.

Sephiroth27

Smash Ace
I emailed Merriam-Webster and told them that the latest version of the dictionary should include the name "Captain Falcon" in the definitions of "man" and "manly" at least twice.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'd still have to disagree, and say that yes...falcon can indeed combo fairly well (for brawl that is). I play my teammate all the time, and he's good. He's not some bad player that "takes it" and lets me hit him, and yet i can land 5-6 hits on him consecutively with falcon.

It's not that he isn't trying to air dodge or that he's doesn't see it coming, it's just that at certain percentages, falcon can actually combo quite well. He's so quick that it takes people off guard. I mean, his dash attack alone opens up nice possibilities. DashA>utilt>uair>fair. No...i can't pull that off EVERY time. But it works fairly often against good players who know what they're doing. Also, on his air game being worse...i agree his bair and uair are still great, but the knee is also still useful. Yes, it got worse, but it still KO's extremely early and the sweetspot isn't hard to adjust to (i get it almost every time). It's still a viable move that's worth using. Falcon's air game is the best part about him, imo...because they're so easily chained together, and also because they're quick enough for opponents to under estimate them.

He did get nerfed.
But he doesn't suck.
imo.
Wow...Falcon can't combo at all unless your opponent has no idea how to air dodge.

You can't land the Knee. Ever. Unless your opponent does something like spam Ike's F-smash, or recovers too high and you have a window to punish him while he is in Free Fall. Otherwise everything you do to set up for it can simply be countered with an air dodge. Instead you should try to use the B-air which I think is faster, has so much more range, and is less punishable while still having knockback.

Yeah, Falcon's air game is the best thing about him. That's pretty sad, because it sucks. He can barely connect **** because he only has like two aerial attacks with reasonable priority that aren't overly situational. Heck, Bowser has a better air game than Captain Falcon, and that's not even his strong point. So much for balance in Brawl when it comes to playing Captain Falcon.

Falcon is worse than SSBM Mewtwo. (okay, but he's probably better than SSBM Kirby, who IMO is actually worse than Mewtwo)
By that definition, there are no combos in Brawl. I kinda think combos are more being faster than your opponent can react or tricking your opponent into dodging early or something rather than hitstun, because no character has any hitstun really anymore.
No, combos actually exist, but they are EXTREMELY rare, and usually unorthodox.

Take Ganondorf's Forward B to Jab for example. It works because it grounds the opponent and it can't be immediately teched.

Some characters can chaingrab in Brawl too btw. ICs, Falco, Dedede, and I think Wario and G&W all can chaingrab in some way.

G&W can immediately get a guaranteed jab, D-tilt, or D-smash someone from a D-throw. However that is just if they miss the tech.

Captain Falcon doesn't have combos (except for the one NESSBOUNDER found?). In fact, his "combo" setups, are like way worse than that of other characters. His N-air will almost never connect on ground opponents. His D-air has too much lag and is easily punished. Similar case for the Knee. His U-air sends people too far away.

And like NESSBOUNDER said, Falcon's jab combo and Down-B are among few things that are better about him. The Jab combo can maybe get a free 20% on the enemy. The Falcon kick actually is harder to punish with shield, as it seems more likely to send you behind your opponent and the ending lag isn't TOO bad. IMO always use it over the Raptor Boost. It does pretty much everything the Raptor Boost does, except more damage, and being harder to punish whether you hit or miss. Or actually, don't use the Falcon Kick for recovery. >_>

And guys, keep in mind I'm keeping Falcon as a strong secondary in Brawl. Because I merely like Captain Falcon and feel that all characters deserve to be played, he'll definitely be one of the characters I will record friendlies with (don't ask for them though, because I have like sooooo little time for that and I'm lazy).

KeyKid19

Smash Ace

And if that's the case you should know that the tier list doesn't mean ****. Seriously...the.tier.doesn't. mean. ****.

And i do play more than my partner. I run friendlies all the time and on the GB ladder my team's 34-6. C. Calcon is viable.

This isn't my opinion, it's the opinion of other people. Hell, it's only the melee falcon mains who ***** about Falcon in brawl. Have you put in the time? I'm not ignorant...i just know how to use the character i main. Falcon does have priority problems, but nothing that can't be handled by a smart player.

Seriously, your opinion's great, but i win consistently all the time with falcon. He's isn't bad. He doesn't suck. I've played hundreds of kids on these boards, the gamebattles boards, WiFi wars....

He's viable. This is coming from someone who actually uses him. There are ways around bad matchups. That's what practice is for.

Don't act like the only person i've ever played is my teammate...seriously, it sounded like you were insulting me, and if someone asked me how good i was at brawl?

EDIT***...and sorry if i blew up on you there a little bit man, you did make good points...its just my opinion and your opinion i guess. I'm one of those people who loves their main and sticks with them. And i'm good with falcon now and i can only get better with him. I kinda took the bottom of your post as an insult, that's all. I've played reputable players. I've played DMbrandon and Gimpyfish, I've money matched KDJ and I've even played with Walshy (Halo pro, but still sick as hell at smash). I know my ****...lol. Sorry if that seemed hostile though.
We definitely need to play then since you say you are very good. I'd like to see what you do with Falcon that makes him have a great win %. My code is 1762-2331-9819.

ReploidArmada

Smash Rookie
If only I had an SD card or a good video camera. Right now, on my Wii, I have a replay of myself playing as Captain Falcon, scoring 14 kills against lv 7 bots in 3 minutes. Now, say whatever you want about the bots, I don't really care. I want to see you guys score 14 kills against any half-way decent players in 3 minutes, ok?

If anything this should help prove Falcon is above the Pichu-level of fail.

EDIT: And then just now I got 8 kills in 2 minutes. I dare you to beat those.

Reaver197

Smash Lord
If only I had an SD card or a good video camera. Right now, on my Wii, I have a replay of myself playing as Captain Falcon, scoring 14 kills against lv 7 bots in 3 minutes. Now, say whatever you want about the bots, I don't really care. I want to see you guys score 14 kills against any half-way decent players in 3 minutes, ok?

Uh, are you challenging people to beat how many kills you got against CPUs, yet they have to do against actual people?

Also, rapidity of kills against cpu's REALLY doesn't have any indication of how good a character is, or how well you play them.

Hey guys, guess what? I triple knee'd the computer! Dur hurr hurr. Murr hurr.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace

I can probably do double that with DeDeDe on any walkoff map. Seriously just grab -> Dthrow -> chase -> repeat until they die off the edge of the stage. It takes 10 seconds to get a kill that way. Computers have no relevance in discussing character abilities at all unless you're debating which characters are the best against computers (and that's a stupid debate).

Let me know when you beat some good people at Smash Brawl Rankings like Blackanese, Tapion, or ComboTurtle. Seriously you'd be lucky if they didn't 3 stock you.

Better yet just beat any decent Pikachu. Even that is a huge challenge for Falcon.

Computers are not "half-way decent players." Especially level 7 computers.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Yes it does. Very few things can get through even sonic's dash attack! Nobody should have less priority than sonic.
So true. For how hard it is to hit with Falcon's moves he should have some of the highest priority in the game. But sadly he does not.

I did clink a Din's Fire today though which made me about jump out of my chair. I didn't even know it was possible to clink Din's Fire with ANY move but I think I did it with a tilt or something simple like that. Maybe it was an Fsmash but yeah something did it! lol

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Originally Posted by Iwan

We definitely need to play then since you say you are very good. I'd like to see what you do with Falcon that makes him have a great win %. My code is 1762-2331-9819.
I would also very much like to give your falcon a go; if he's as good as you say he is, I'm definetly missing something in my falcon gameplay. My friend code is 0860-2928-3349. My AIM is xBananaTrooperx. Look me up, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and my inbox for your reply.

And I very much hope that you do reply :) I consider myself a decent falcon, and would love to be shown that falcon is high % win material. Seriously, I actually love playing as falcon; don't take this as a challenge to prove you wrong (it's hard to express yourself well over the internet).

Else, some vids of you playing would be nice.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Untrue. By that definition, Fox, ZSS, Ice Climbers, Lucario, and a bunch of other characters do have true combos.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
:laugh:

Sorry man. Captain Falcon is BELOW the Mewtwo level of fail.

Mewtwo for example has projectiles, GOOD throws, amazing recovery, amazing tilts, and OK kill options. Falcon doesn't have those. Both Mewtwo and Pichu have great ground movement too.

And Pichu is better than Mewtwo. By transitive property of inequality, Pichu >>>Brawl Falcon.

Captain Falcon doesn't have real advantages. Everyone else does. Hence why I say he's the worst character in the game.

And anyhow, your method of proving Falcon has advantages fails. =(

Iwan

Smash Ace
I would also very much like to give your falcon a go; if he's as good as you say he is, I'm definetly missing something in my falcon gameplay. My friend code is 0860-2928-3349. My AIM is xBananaTrooperx. Look me up, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and my inbox for your reply.

And I very much hope that you do reply :) I consider myself a decent falcon, and would love to be shown that falcon is high % win material. Seriously, I actually love playing as falcon; don't take this as a challenge to prove you wrong (it's hard to express yourself well over the internet).

Else, some vids of you playing would be nice.
I dont have a capture card : /

but hey, i talked to you on AIM yesterday, and as i told KeyKid....i'll be online sometime shortly after this upcoming weekend. I'll happily play anyone :). my friend code's in my profile. Anyone feel free to add me and i'll add you back! Just PM me :).

Ulevo

Smash Master
I personally never played much of Captain Falcon in Melee. However, I picked him up in Brawl for fun and for a change because I liked the way he moved, and because I knew the challenge in using him.

These are the facts of Captain Falcon.

- Captain Falcon RELIES on being smarter, faster, and more opportunistic than your opponent. If you are missing these qualities, you are at a large disadvantage.

- Captain Falcon RELIES on the Knee to get solid KOs in. They DO work, and they still kill at good percents. You just need to set up the appropriate time for it.

- Captain Falcons Dash Attack + Trot, Uair, Bair, Nair for Combos, Fair for KOs, DTilt, Standard A and DThrow are his most effective assets. Falcon Punch, although very punishable, can prove useful in particular scenarios if used sparingly. i.e. Short hopping over opposing Lucas' PK Fire w/ Falcon Punch would be an example I experienced.

- Captain Falcon can combo, and quite well sometimes. They are not combos that cannot be escaped. They CAN Be escaped. This is not relied on hitstun like in Melee where the combo totally relied on whether or not your opponent knew how to DI properly, but it now is relied on the player knowing when to issue the combo. Human players MESS UP all the time, even if they are good. You need to realize when they do, and use speed to take the opportunity. Try facing Lvl 9 CPUs and attempt to combo, and then play a good human player. Although the human will have more elaborate strategies to win, they do not have the consistent reaction time to prevent combos for certain, unless you are being obvious and attempting the same thing repeatedly. Eventually with pressure being added, a mistake will happen, and that is what Falcon preys on.

I am not an exceptional Falcon player, nor do I main him. But I have used him fairly frequently against good players, and these are the things I noticed. But hey, I could be wrong, right? Also, if you base your points off of battles with CPUs, for those of you who do, you will have a very biased view. Comboing on Lvl 9s is not a happening experience.

Runeblade279

Smash Apprentice
I personally never played much of Captain Falcon in Melee. However, I picked him up in Brawl for fun and for a change because I liked the way he moved, and because I knew the challenge in using him.

These are the facts of Captain Falcon.

- Captain Falcon RELIES on being smarter, faster, and more opportunistic than your opponent. If you are missing these qualities, you are at a large disadvantage.

- Captain Falcon RELIES on the Knee to get solid KOs in. They DO work, and they still kill at good percents. You just need to set up the appropriate time for it.

- Captain Falcons Dash Attack + Trot, Uair, Bair, Nair for Combos, Fair for KOs, DTilt, Standard A and DThrow are his most effective assets. Falcon Punch, although very punishable, can prove useful in particular scenarios if used sparingly. i.e. Short hopping over opposing Lucas' PK Fire w/ Falcon Punch would be an example I experienced.

- Captain Falcon can combo, and quite well sometimes. They are not combos that cannot be escaped. They CAN Be escaped. This is not relied on hitstun like in Melee where the combo totally relied on whether or not your opponent knew how to DI properly, but it now is relied on the player knowing when to issue the combo. Human players MESS UP all the time, even if they are good. You need to realize when they do, and use speed to take the opportunity. Try facing Lvl 9 CPUs and attempt to combo, and then play a good human player. Although the human will have more elaborate strategies to win, they do not have the consistent reaction time to prevent combos for certain, unless you are being obvious and attempting the same thing repeatedly. Eventually with pressure being added, a mistake will happen, and that is what Falcon preys on.

I am not an exceptional Falcon player, nor do I main him. But I have used him fairly frequently against good players, and these are the things I noticed. But hey, I could be wrong, right? Also, if you base your points off of battles with CPUs, for those of you who do, you will have a very biased view. Comboing on Lvl 9s is not a happening experience.
Good general information, you got alot of it quite right. Falcon is great when you pressure your opponent and take advantage of his messups, while at the same time, minimizing your own mistakes and not getting hit. Seems simple, but very challenging in practice.

Falcon doesn't combo, he strings, like every other character in Brawl, and like you said, he can do it really well still.

Knee is a KO move rather than a combo/KO/chuck norris/whipped cream/whatever move now. XD

One thing I did notice is that I haven't used dtilt to great advantage much. I mean, sometimes I throw it out there, but I find ftilt or utilt better usually. When did you use dtilt?

Top Bottom