• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Am Legend (2007)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
LOL @ "scary"

I still get nightmares from scary movies. You'd think I would've overcome that at age 11, but not watching horror films keeps me sensitive, I guess. At least I have a wife to cope at night. ^_^

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I really really suck at them too. Trust me, I was covering my eyes -_-

Especially during one scene where you're just absolutely positive something's gonna happen but they prolong it sooooooooo long..

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Yeah, I really really suck at them too. Trust me, I was covering my eyes -_-

Especially during one scene where you're just absolutely positive something's gonna happen but they prolong it sooooooooo long..
I hate scenes like those. They get your heart racing for a good 20 minutes straight. That cannot be healthy. XD

D

Deleted member

After seeing Saw 4, which wasn't scary to me, my heart was racing for the next 2-3 days. It was really ****ed up, because I thought I was gonna have some sort of heart attack.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Well, I'm glad you liked I Am Legend. I am even more excited to see it now!

RDK

Smash Hero
After having read the book and seen the movie, I felt that the author's subtle nuances from the novel were pushed aside for more action sequences, but the movie in and of itself was good.

However, this is just another prime example of Hollywood's fetish for ****** works of art to gain a few bucks.

Tryptomine

Smash Journeyman
After having read the book and seen the movie, I felt that the author's subtle nuances from the novel were pushed aside for more action sequences, but the movie in and of itself was good.

However, this is just another prime example of Hollywood's fetish for ****** works of art to gain a few bucks.
That's the impression I got after reading DeLoRtEd1's spoilers (I hate your name, by the way), so seeing this just confirms what I feared all along. Bah, the title probably won't even make a bit of sense to those who only know the movie.

D

Deleted member

That's the impression I got after reading DeLoRtEd1's spoilers (I hate your name, by the way), so seeing this just confirms what I feared all along. Bah, the title probably won't even make a bit of sense to those who only know the movie.
You hate my name? :(

But it's from Homestarrunner

RDK

Smash Hero
From what I recall, there really wasn't that strong of a connection between the title and its true meaning, but those who've actually read the book will be able to see it subtly.

And Sugarpoultry / Buzz--do you guys get your tickets online?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
No, we got our tickets from the theater itself (it's not far from home, and their web site charges $1 convenience fee).

kook321

Smash Apprentice
yea i hope the movie does well, there already been like three movies based on the book that were totally flops. has any read the book?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
yea i hope the movie does well, there already been like three movies based on the book that were totally flops. has any read the book?
I've heard both three and two, but I've also heard that the "three" is incorrect. I've only been able to find evidence of two previous movies. Is there any info about the third one? I believe the first two were made in 1954 and 1971.

Anyway, my wife and I have tickets to tonight's showing! I'm excited! :D

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
I saw an advanced screening on Tuesday. It's really good. It deviated from the plot of the book, but it was very enjoyable. I give it 3.5/4 stars.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
This movie was awesome! It really caught me off guard at various points in the story.

Story Review:
The plot was fantastic. I only wish they developed more on virus' initial outbreak in Will Smith's flashbacks. They sort of left that hanging, and there were no signs of normal people changing into monsters. Aside from that, the rest of the movie did flow well. I was a bit confused, however, at the notion that dark seekers surrounded the home every night, but they apparently did not know Neville lived there until the very end.

Special Effects:
OK, so the critics were generally correct that the dark seekers looked quite fake/stupid. However, I disagree with that affecting their presence in the movie. I was still scared to death, and I was more afraid of what they were capable of than what they looked like. Plus, all the scariest scenes take place in the dark, anyway. Their appearance was fine in terms of fulfilling their roles in the movie. Aside from that, uninhabited New York was freakin' cool.

Scare Factor Review: There are no story-related spoilers here. I'm just hiding it in case you don't want to know.
I am a serious panzy when it comes to scary movies, so naturally, I was bit nervous at the start of the movie. However, the movie struck a perfect balance of fear and excitement to where I was not suffering too bad by the end of the movie. Yes, the movie has several scary moments, but none of them were too out of the blue or "unfair" surprises. Generally, you will know what parts will be scary and which ones will not. The creatures cannot dwell in daylight, after all. If it's dark, fasten your seatbelts.

EDIT - Oh, and it has a sweet trailer for The Dark Knight (sequel to Batman Begins).

Marthmaster92

Smash Champion
Stuck between a parallel dimension of code and you
This movie was awesome! It really caught me off guard at various points in the story.

Story Review:
The plot was fantastic. I only wish they developed more on virus' initial outbreak in Will Smith's flashbacks. They sort of left that hanging, and there were no signs of normal people changing into monsters. Aside from that, the rest of the movie did flow well. I was a bit confused, however, at the notion that dark seekers surrounded the home every night, but they apparently did not know Neville lived there until the very end.

Special Effects:
OK, so the critics were generally correct that the dark seekers looked quite fake/stupid. However, I disagree with that affecting their presence in the movie. I was still scared to death, and I was more afraid of what they were capable of than what they looked like. Plus, all the scariest scenes take place in the dark, anyway. Their appearance was fine in terms of fulfilling their roles in the movie. Aside from that, uninhabited New York was freakin' cool.

Scare Factor Review: There are no story-related spoilers here. I'm just hiding it in case you don't want to know.
I am a serious panzy when it comes to scary movies, so naturally, I was bit nervous at the start of the movie. However, the movie struck a perfect balance of fear and excitement to where I was not suffering too bad by the end of the movie. Yes, the movie has several scary moments, but none of them were too out of the blue or "unfair" surprises. Generally, you will know what parts will be scary and which ones will not. The creatures cannot dwell in daylight, after all. If it's dark, fasten your seatbelts.
awesome. i can't wait to go see it. My dad's all freaking out i'll be scared and crap. PFFT. heck with that. this movie looks like a great adrenaline rush! :)

thanks for the mini-review mate, 'twas very helpful!

Weed

Smash Lord
Just got back from this movie and wow, just wow.
This was the first movie I've seen in a very long time that made my eyes water, Will Smith is still my favourite actor.

I don't know about other theatres, but mine had the "surprise" moments at a very, very high volume, so the movie kept my attention for it's entire duration.

I'm sure this will get mixed opinions, but I would recommend this movie to anyone who can handle some intensity, as it was definitely intended to scare people at quite a few moments. Great movie.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I was really disappointed with the final product. I wouldn't be uncomfortable saying I outright hated it. I was expecting vampires and the "still alive" societies of vampires I know within the novel, and the great ending too (FYI, book's ending >Movies' ending times infinity). But no, we got people turned mutants by a vaccine meant for the good of mankind (honestly, we've received films like these at least once a year in the past decade). I'm sure the shift of the dark seekers from intelligent-people to intelligent-savages was meant to provide some thrills, but they just never come (even the closest moments, they are cheap at best). It doesn't help that they looked like crap, either. Let's not forget Will's one liner's make just make it annoying. "Eat your vegetables, I'm not playin'!", "Who's that girl over there? Maybe I should say hi?", reciting Shrek. Thank God he didn't go "Aww... HELL NAW!", that saves this movie from being completely unwatchable. Leave the hip-hop attitude in Bel-Air, Prince, you're not fresh anywhere else.

In short, Will pisses over Matheson's work, but nowhere near as much as he pisses over Asimov's work, watch it once when your friend rents it from Blockbuster and then wipe it out of your memory, and ultimately proves that Will Smith still hasn't had any othrt good movies except Pursuit of Happyness and Men In Black

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Saw it today. Great stuff!

A fun action/suspense film that never gets overly stupid. Sure, there are some unintentionally funny parts, but for me it just made the experience more fun and enjoyable.

Say what you want about Will. I think he's a great actor, and hopefully in time he'll give a performance that's Oscar worthy. This isn't the film, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

Plus, it's got vampires. I needed to see a good movie with them to get the horrible taste of 30 Days of Night out of my mouth:)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I'm very glad the movie was different from the book. First off, if I want the book experience, I'll read the book. Second, I hate vampires. I liked the modified dark seeker idea.

As for Will Smith making cheesy lines, he was going insane from loneliness. I didn't find anything too far out of the ordinary.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I'm very glad the movie was different from the book. First off, if I want the book experience, I'll read the book.
I doubt you knew about the book before the movie.

Second, I hate vampires. I liked the modified dark seeker idea.
So, vampire-like creatures, but TECHNICALLY not vampires, it's okay? I know they were trying to explain about where the infection came from (it's not clearly expressed in the book, that's one thing that kinda ticks me off), but it's so **** unoriginal. The only thing that makes it different is what the KV was used for. Also, the movie never explains why he was immune (the book states why he THINKS he's immune getting bit by a vampire bat, but it sure as hell is better than nothing.)

As for Will Smith making cheesy lines, he was going insane from loneliness. I didn't find anything too far out of the ordinary.
I'm not talking about this movie in particular (as I said, no "HELL NAW!" put this movie up a notch in my book), I'm talking about Will Smith in general.

I know we ALL can agree on one thing, Will Smith was a better choice than Arnold Schrawzenegger (the original first choice)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I doubt you knew about the book before the movie.

So, vampire-like creatures, but TECHNICALLY not vampires, it's okay? I know they were trying to explain about where the infection came from (it's not clearly expressed in the book, that's one thing that kinda ticks me off), but it's so **** unoriginal. The only thing that makes it different is what the KV was used for. Also, the movie never explains why he was immune (the book states why he THINKS he's immune getting bit by a vampire bat, but it sure as hell is better than nothing.)

I'm not talking about this movie in particular (as I said, no "HELL NAW!" put this movie up a notch in my book), I'm talking about Will Smith in general.

I know we ALL can agree on one thing, Will Smith was a better choice than Arnold Schrawzenegger (the original first choice)
If you had any idea what an opinion was, you wouldn't carefully refute my points section by section.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
If you had any idea what an opinion was, you wouldn't carefully refute my points section by section.
Nor would you have even addressed mine in the first place. As for the different points, I separated them because they were different.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Nor would you have even addressed mine in the first place. As for the different points, I separated them because they were different.
I was merely offering an alternate viewpoint. You, on the other hand, are attempting to "prove me wrong" or make me look stupid.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Haha, Buzz, if you had all the information you would clearly have hated the movie. Your enjoyment was false and imagined.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I was merely offering an alternate viewpoint. You, on the other hand, are attempting to "prove me wrong" or make me look stupid.
No, I'm not trying to "make you look stupid", an idea I'm pretty sure you want to exploit right now. And for "proving you wrong", you already tried to do that here. Sorry if I came off this way, I was stating reasons why I didn't like it.

Haha, Buzz, if you had all the information you would clearly have hated the movie.
Listen to this man. He has a Spaceman Spiff avatar, he knows what he's talking about.

Cort

Apple Head
I liked this movie a lot, and I'd consider reading the book now and not try and make comparisons, and just try and enjoy both. >_>

also rofl @ hemightbegiant

Poor kid..

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I liked this movie a lot, and I'd consider reading the book now and not try and make comparisons, and just try and enjoy both. >_>

also rofl @ hemightbegiant

Poor kid..
Is it too much to ask for an adaptation of the book that stays faithful? >_>

The movie had it's moments, after my initial "OMG! this sucks" phase after I first saw it yesterday (yes, that soon), there were some things I forgot to mention. I admit my "cheesy lines" thing is directed more towards Will in general, but there were good examples of his insanity ("Hank, if your real, you better be tell me right now"), and the bad (Shrek. I don't care if it fit, it was still funny in a bad way).

One thing better than the book is when he has to
kill his dog Sam. it's so much more meaning than the book, as he literally chokes it to death.

As an adaptation of the book, I still hate it. As a separate movie, after seeing the movie "The Battle Warrior" and the trailer for the live action "Speed Racer" movie, there is no way I'd consider this a horrible movie. But I still do not love it. 2 out 4 stars at most.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Everyone shut up. You all have the right to opinions and hemightbegiant has the right to differ. He was explaining his point of view by using other's points of enjoyment.

Secondly, Will Smith is a terrible actor who's been in horrible movies - Independence Day, Wild Wild West (which he passed the Matrix for), and I Robot. The only reason I am giving this movie a shot (especially since it's not about zombies which is already a negative point because zombies are massively superior to infection based vampires) is he did a great job in "Pursuit of Happiness" and I am always willing to give actors another shot, except Shia LaBeouf (hopefully he's in Transformers 2 so I can have 3 reasons to hate that one before even seeing it).

It's the Fresh Prince, come on.

Top Bottom