• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hyrule...Keep it or ban it?

titaniachkt

Smash Cadet
s2j has a point. Why not Congo? The camping @Hyrule is horrible recently, as one realized how easy it is to secure a stock by it;
-Congo poses a problem to those most likely to play the camp game ( Pika,Fox,Kirby etc)
with the addition of a transparent floor + numerous platforms to increase approach options to those that would normally be at a disadvantage (Jiggs, Link) and disadvantage the ones at fault (fox's lazers and Mario's fireballs stunted by platforms).

-It somewhat removes Falcon & Pika's's boost that they had on DL due to the moving platforms & uneven base (makes uairs and linear approaches harder).

-As s2j already mentioned, the barrel present + transparent floor affects the gimp factor that some people brought up. So those with ,erm, questionable recovery (Ness, Link, Fox, Link) would still have an equal chance rather than if they were on Hyrule/DL.

That's about it. Oh & I agree with matts too. Zebes would be a great neutral if the 'acid-always-low' cheat were readily available.Since it also minimises camping and is (almost) impossible to get gimped.Plus it provides really unique approach and deflect options due to the acid.

:/ @ those who feel it's their duty as Pikachus to AUTOMATICALLY thunder you asa they realize you're in the nado.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Smaller stages will make your throw gimp chars better...congo or DL

I'll thunder anyone in a nado... it's a slight random factor in a competitive game that doesn't kill the entire aspect of that style.

Tourneys are never 1 game...so there really should be no cases of someone "losing" in one because of a tornado.

The real issues about Hyrule are the sides do encourage camping...but again...it wont stop the better players from winning...they just have to adjust their style

NixxxoN

Smash Master
About the hyrule sides, theres the possibility of both players agreeing that in some hyrule sides situations, especially if one is on the **** tent and the other is trying to get onto there, the match gets a bit "blocked" so both players can stop for some seconds and resume it on the middle big platform, but maybe its kinda stupid and only works with friends, i dunno xD
AFAIK This thing is done in some martial arts matches, where the situation sometimes becomes kinda "blocked"
sorry for my terrible explaination skills xP

Battlecow

Play to Win
I always thought he was pretty aggressive. Not trying to suck up, just saying. I've only played him 4-5 times, though, and they weren't the most tense matches ever.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Whattttt I thought we've played a lot together.

Apparently I'm just delusional. :(
Define "a lot". By "4-5 times" I meant separate occasions, not five stock matches. And I might be underestimating our number of matches even then.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
> Aggressive
> Smash 64

Pick one.

And if someone wants to start a debate about this (Nixxxon? xD), let me remind you:
- combos =/= aggression
- (safe) tech-chases =/= aggression

NixxxoN

Smash Master
> Aggressive
> Smash 64

Pick one.

And if someone wants to start a debate about this (Nixxxon? xD), let me remind you:
- combos =/= aggression
- (safe) tech-chases =/= aggression
:dizzy::psycho:

Are you implying that you can't be agressive at 64?........ And you mean agressive = offensive?
There are offensive playing styles and defensive playing styles and offensive chars and defensive chars AFAIK

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I play aggro, only matchup i don't is Falcon vs Mario or Falcon vs Pikachu..due to throw bs.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
Aggressive. On large stages I would somewhat agree on your "pick one of the two", but it's not true of smaller stages.

dandan

Smash Lord
you know how i play, charge forward nevermind the results, that is what i meant :p

Battlecow

Play to Win
Seriously. Wow I never would have guessed that.
Well, you were saying nonsensical things, so the most obvious answer to the "WTF is he saying that?" question was "He doesn't know that aggro means aggressive".

I assume that you have a great reason for saying what you said, because you seem like a smart guy, but you haven't shared it with us yet.

Aggressive means that you're constantly, or very often, on the attack, and you are approaching and attacking your opponent a lot. A non-aggressive player might shield a lot, stay back until their opponent attacked, and use a lot of cautious projectile-poking

I assume that you already knew that, so you'll have to explain further what you meant when you implied that you can't be aggressive in smash 64.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Im constantly switching from defensive to agressive and the other way round depending on the matchup, the opponent, the stage and the match situations. I think its bad to always play in one way and only one way.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Well, you were saying nonsensical things, so the most obvious answer to the "WTF is he saying that?" question was "He doesn't know that aggro means aggressive".

I assume that you have a great reason for saying what you said, because you seem like a smart guy, but you haven't shared it with us yet.

Aggressive means that you're constantly, or very often, on the attack, and you are approaching and attacking your opponent a lot. A non-aggressive player might shield a lot, stay back until their opponent attacked, and use a lot of cautious projectile-poking

I assume that you already knew that, so you'll have to explain further what you meant when you implied that you can't be aggressive in smash 64.
Well, at least you're able to explain what it means.

I was a being bit troll-ish when I asked to pick between playing aggro and smash 64. What I meant by that is that you can't always play aggressive in a game where one hit potentially leads to losing your whole stock. Doesn't mean you have to play only defensive, it just means that a purely aggressive style is just impossible and careless.

I mentioned earlier that approaching was a factor of being aggressive, but then... people can just move within range of their opponent and then start their defensive aerial spacing.

I don't know why you mention a defensive player would use shield a lot. Shield is one of the worst things you could ever do in 64 as almost any aerial on shield gets you grabbed. People should only shield vs:
- shield pressure
- laggy attacks
- projectiles (from far away)
- attacks with no guaranteed followups
There's a reason we say "don't get hit.". It means, don't get hit ever, without or with shield. Avoid everything by spacing yourself.

\\~Call~Me~Coca~//

Smash Cadet
Well ive played smash 64 for almost 3 years on kaileria and NO ONE (that Ive played) has camped on the left slope, and about the tornado's i agree (lil ****ers) and i kinda hate how the stage is big cuz fox and falcon just RUN to the other side and back, but i think we should keep it.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I've played a god**** Pikachu on Hyrule as Link, and the ****er just camped on the left slope, threw me off, and F-smashed me to hell.

Not fun. :<

Fascinating, "damn" is censored? What is this conservative crap!?

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I've played a god**** Pikachu on Hyrule as Link, and the ****er just camped on the left slope, threw me off, and F-smashed me to hell.

Let me take a guess, you were probably playing Zeu$. He does that to me all the time and then complains I dont approach enough :<

Just coming into this thread without reading any of the other arguments, I think Dreamland should be the only nuetral stage. I think hyrule is fine as a counterpick, but DL is more balanced IMO. Matches just take too long on hyrule

Battlecow

Play to Win
link haz two real projectiles.

Pika dun haz real projectiles.

Yeah, Zeus is funny. He's the only guy I know who can play pika and kirby for hours and then complain about how cheap a link is.

I hate people like that. They just make the game less fun for everyone.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Well, generally when I play, my aim is not to win, but to enjoy myself, and enjoying myself just so happens to happen when the two players are both active in approaching and attacking, making for exciting matches. This is especially true online against random people when nothing's at stake.

The way I see it is who gives a crap if you can beat people by exploiting a game's weakness unfairly? What do you hope to accomplish? Does it make you better at life? I'm not BAWWWWWing or anything, but come on, who has fun playing a camper?

This is why Isai/Superboom/others are so exciting and fun to watch. They could very well be the best players in the world by playing like douchebags, but they don't, and achieve that status through other means.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Eh, you're missing the point. Everyone says that they're "playing for fun", but what the jenkins does that mean? I always have more fun when I'm playing my hardest. "Exploiting a game's weakness unfairly"? Sounds kinda like effective playing. Saying that camping's bad is one thing, but when you start saying that grabs are cheap and that people should stop "spamming" etc. etc., it gets old really fast.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Eh, you're missing the point. Everyone says that they're "playing for fun", but what the jenkins does that mean? I always have more fun when I'm playing my hardest. "Exploiting a game's weakness unfairly"? Sounds kinda like effective playing. Saying that camping's bad is one thing, but when you start saying that grabs are cheap and that people should stop "spamming" etc. etc., it gets old really fast.
This is the truth.

It especially annoys me when people say you are taking the game too srs and that you try to hard.

I have the most fun when I try hard/combo alot/and improve my game.

It is perfectly acceptable to just screw around in smash and spam b moves, but thats not how the game has to be played for it to be fun.

But on a more SRS tone

amount of fun = # of taunt cancels

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Well, I guess people have different versions of fun.

Hell, I play with a kirby player who does everything your typical kirby player does, and says he has fun doing it. :/

Had to ban Yoshi's Island from friendly games once he discovered cloud camping...

Point is, videogames should not be drudgery.

Dsc

Smash Ace

The hells a "d.amner"

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
Lol @ whoever that was complaining about throwing pika on the left side of hyrule. It's probably that kick@ss scrub, I teamed with a complete noob the other day and simply told him to just not get grabbed and kick@*** didnt know what to do but sit by the edge and get *****.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Lol @ whoever that was complaining about throwing pika on the left side of hyrule. It's probably that kick@ss scrub, I teamed with a complete noob the other day and simply told him to just not get grabbed and kick@*** didnt know what to do but sit by the edge and get *****.
O man I R s00 l33t, 1 pwn n00bs MUHAHAHAHAHA!

EDIT: wow, a warning for being sarcastic... thanks a lot, mods. How can we ever have a bit of fun?

Battlecow

Play to Win
O man I R s00 l33t, 1 pwn n00bs MUHAHAHAHAHA!

EDIT: wow, a warning for being sarcastic... thanks a lot, mods. How can we ever have a bit of fun?
The joys of Surri-Sama...

Yeah, I kinda like playing with kick@ss though (Should I asterisk out the "***" there? That's the way his name is, I'm not censor-dodging), he's always seemed like a good guy. I haven't talked to him that much, but IMO his playstyle isn't annoying.

Campy pikas aren't invincible; I never really have problems with them, even on hyrule.

On another note, I've been playing almost solely DL lately and it's been working out great. I really think we should make the switch in tourneys, and in friendlies if people want to.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
DL is less fair than hyrule if only because it makes a couple characters pretty unusable in competition, try playing as Link vs any top/high tier there >_>

if we want to change the tournament standard to (J) version im all for it though

Top Bottom