• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Huge Johnz 2: Justice shall be served April 28th Portage IN venue confirmed

Jazzness

Smash Ace
BigC,

I would like to know where the money from the 'cover charge' goes. What exactly are you 'covering?'

Current cover charge @ $5:
w/ 10 people = $50
w/ 20 people = $100
w/ 25 people = $125

As you can see, the cover charge is variable, like revenue, but the cost of renting a place is considered a FIXED cost, because no matter how many people show up, you're STILL using the same place.

In simpler terms, this means that if 10 people show up, the cost is $X. If 20 people show up, the cost is $X. If 30 people show up, the cost is $X, and so on.

1. If the SOLE purpose of the cover charge is to pay for the cost of renting the space, then what happens if the cost of renting the building is MORE than the revenue you bring in from the cover charge? Are you going to soak the losses, or will the difference be paid for by deducting a %age from the jackpot?

2. What if the cost of renting the space is less than the revenue you bring in? Is that money going to be distributed back into the jackpot, or is it going straight into your pocket? If there is extra money, why not pay out to 4th or 5th places and redistribute the cash more evenly?

3. What if the cost of renting the space is nothing at all? Are there hidden service charges around that we don't know about?

Please understand that I'm not questioning your integrity.

I just feel that I'd be more willing to pay for a cover charge if I knew exactly what it was covering, and that the cover charge was put in place with the best interests of the community in mind.

-- Mike

kirkq

Smash Ace
it was everything he could ask other than hey Big C are u taking the cover charge?
BigC,

2. What if the cost of renting the space is less than the revenue you bring in? Is that money going to be distributed back into the jackpot, or is it going straight into your pocket?

-- Mike
im sensing some money is going to mexico --;

Jazzness

Smash Ace
Thanks guys, for being so thoughtful in your responses. I really appreciate it.

... and so apparently I'm the only one who (a) cares about where his money goes, and (b) wonders where the decided rate of $5 per head came from.

Originally Posted by BIG C:
the cover charge just goes straight to the place. he doesnt really charge us a set fee to rent his place so it is completely variable.
That reply is what I expected, and it's also why I'm concerned. Cover charges are usually applied when the venue provides some sort of entertainment or added value, such as a bar or a venue with live music.

Rent and usage expenses are different because they are the cost of having a private party in a space (for example, renting out a hotel room).

BigC, I'm not asking whether you're stealing the money or anything. I'm just a bit wary of the idea of charging a cover for profit purposes.

I mean, even if it WAS a bar with live music, I would feel uncomfortable if the place charged a cover charge and didn't pay any percentage of it to the artists who bring in the guests.

Also realize that I wasn't at the original Huge Johnz. I have no idea what the venue is like.

P.S. AOB, had I considered going to SMYM 7, I would've asked you the same question I asked BigC.

BIG C

Smash Master
heh the cover charge is strictly for him because it is his place of business. It is a gaming lounge that he charges regular customers by the hour. He charges us fpr less than an hr. with the $5 cover charge he is prolly losing money since we take up his whole store basically. I believe the rate per hour there is 7 dollars an hr.. even with that i would assume in 8-10 hrs. more ppl come in there than 20 and stay for more than an hr. so I would assume unless we got a SMYM turnout he is losing money.

Jazzness

Smash Ace
KirkQ explained to me that the owner provides almost all the equipment 'n stuff, so it makes a lot more sense now.

Does he charges people to PLAY, not just to attend the tournament (will spectators be charged)?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
It's fine that you were concerned, but your post was comically over-the-top and self-serious, that's all.

Anyway, at SMYM some of what was left over after paying for the place was put into the circuit and tourney pots, and the rest was sent to Mexico in the form of chips.

wiperboy, you didn't think I was going to EAT the chips, did you? I have some connections on the black chip market.

Tink

Smash Hero
with saying that we are jus taking 5$ from everyone, this assures that we wont have to take outta the pot or out of our pockets to pay for the venue if say, only 20 people show and he wants 200 for the place. it makes everything easy. he gets 5$ a head, and we dont have to worry about anything else.

thas jus my view on it. idk how big c views it.

kirkq

Smash Ace
which is still losing money u fro
uhm no?

all his store costs is x dollars in labor, rent/maintenance/equipment, and electricity

to have people come play costs him a tiny tiny amount of electricity, everything over the top of that covers the cost to run the store, everything over that goes in his pocket

ill say it again, he is not losing money, he is only making less than he does charging individually, consider it a group rate $5 per person...

that 1 guy

Smash Ace
I view it as a violotion of my miranda rights!

Also this is only a week away. Let the trash talking commence. I plan on serving plenty of justice knees to everyone's face.

alcheato

Smash Ace
I want to go to this but I doubt my crappy car will make that trip, so if anyone wants to carpool...Capt. Awesome, Jazzness, anyone in the Chi-town area?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
if say, only 20 people show and he wants 200 for the place. it makes everything easy. he gets 5$ a head, and we dont have to worry about anything else.
That would only getcha halfway there, my friend.

Black Flash

Smash Cadet
200 dollars for a room for 20? It's not like a hotel room. We're not spending the night or taking meals there. That's wack . More than 20 will show up anyway.

mathos

Smash Champion
$200 is a steal. CoKII was $300 bucks, and I think the Justin Wong tounry was $500. People need to step up.

Tapion013

Smash Lord
So does this mean people aren't offering housing in the chicago/portage area?

Thanks a lot Jazz for completely overshadowing my concern with yours. Are you gonna be like this when we team? "I'M BEING CHAIN GRABBED HELP ME!" "I CAN'T I'M BEING EDGEGUARDED CALM DOWN!"

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
So does this mean people aren't offering housing in the chicago/portage area?

Thanks a lot Jazz for completely overshadowing my concern with yours. Are you gonna be like this when we team? "I'M BEING CHAIN GRABBED HELP ME!" "I CAN'T I'M BEING EDGEGUARDED CALM DOWN!"
gonna be more like,

"***** I AINT EC!!!" "***** I AINT EITHER!!!!!!!!!!!!"

BIG C

Smash Master
Hey I called Huff today we are good to go for saturday, but it might be at the shop though I gotta call tomorrow to find out. If it is at the shop we are gonna move TVs around and shiz so it works better for smash.

Mars-

Smash Champion
Yeah I won't be making this... I'm thinking about looking into hosting my own local tournament so I can play. But I need to get more info.

Sorry Big C for froing you last minute.

Edit: I need a new avatar.

Top Bottom