• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Huge Johnz 2: Justice shall be served April 28th Portage IN venue confirmed

Tink

Smash Hero
well, ive been in many swiss events, and they didnt have 128 people to do 8 rounds <_<. even with 40 people, your gonna need atleast 6 rounds. 8s not that many more when you want to weed out ties the best you can. thats the advantage i see at doin it.

BIG C

Smash Master
every1's first opponent = random then everyone with 2-1 play each other all the ppl with 0-3 play each other all the ppl with 0 - 2 play each other and so on and it is all based off of points like that for rounds after

mathos

Smash Champion
well, ive been in many swiss events, and they didnt have 128 people to do 8 rounds <_<. even with 40 people, your gonna need atleast 6 rounds. 8s not that many more when you want to weed out ties the best you can. thats the advantage i see at doin it.
8 rounds is actually a heck of a lot more because you're going through an extra 40 sets that aren't needed. And for someone who complains about friendlies this should be an extra concern.

every1's first opponent = random then everyone with 2-1 play each other all the ppl with 0-3 play each other all the ppl with 0 - 2 play each other and so on and it is all based off of points like that for rounds after
Big C grammar would exponentially help brightside understand what you said. But to clarify pretty much everyone plays someone with the same record as them for a certain number of rounds. The first round everyone is 0-0 so its completely random. However the second round everyone that went 2-0 would play someone who also went 2-0, whereas everyone that went 1-2 would play someone that went 1-2. And rounds continue like that until you get to 2^nth round where n is the square root of the number of entrants. Hope that helps some more. If need be don't pay attention to the last sentence about the number of rounds.

Tink

Smash Hero
no, because unlike you guys, we give TVs for friendlies :pPPP.

edit: and 40 extra sets isnt that much when you have 10 Tvs(we will have more then 10 TVs as well). it isnt like a bracket which you dont know who you have to play if one side doesnt go fast enough, or a RR where you only play specific people and if you need to play someone and their in a match with someone else, you have to wait. here, its done in rounds and no waiting needed other then on a TV.

RR makes soooo many sets that have to be played compared to swiss.
every pool of 8 has to play 28 sets. this done for like, 8-16 pools.
then you have the next round of pools <_<.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
no u see its always better to do more rounds than less. less ties at the end, which is the only thing we r concerned about right now.

Tink

Smash Hero
i also plan to do the whole "on deck" strat for people that dont get on the first round of TVs, so it runs smooth.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Wait, are you using sets or games for scoring? Please tell me you're using sets.

Let me explain what I meant by "messy." Let's say you have 50 people. After 6 rounds, Joey and Bob have the #1 and #2 scores (Joey beat Bob in round 6). Now, they have to play each other again, and there's a decent chance they will play a third time in round 8.
If you had, say, 70 people, then Joey beats Bob in round 7, and they have a repeat match in round 8. If Bob wins, they are now tied--but the extra rounds were supposed to BREAK ties! Oops!

Why is 8 a magic number?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Wait, are you using sets or games for scoring? Please tell me you're using sets.

Let me explain what I meant by "messy." Let's say you have 50 people. After 6 rounds, Joey and Bob have the #1 and #2 scores (Joey beat Bob in round 6). Now, they have to play each other again, and there's a decent chance they will play a third time in round 8.
If you had, say, 70 people, then Joey beats Bob in round 7, and they have a repeat match in round 8. If Bob wins, they are now tied--but the extra rounds were supposed to BREAK ties! Oops!

Why is 8 a magic number?

DrewB008

Smash Lord
aob, we have looked into it a lot. the amount of rounds you are suggesting is how many is needed to determine a #1, but additional rounds create less ties within a top 16/32, which is our aim. And we are using 1 point for each match won, because just using points for sets leaves way too many people tied to determine a top 16.
There are other people right below the #1 after the top 2 play, so the same 2 people will not have to play each other again.

kirkq

Smash Ace
ok so everyone is clear, bring gamecubes, ...more gamecubes = more setups

we should have plenty of tvs there already (at least 10 usable if not more, correct me if im wrong please)

i still dont get the deal with the different building thing

but im assuming we will have the same accomodations as far as tvs etc, please correct if im wrong

swiss seeding could go quite smoothly, especially since each person gets 1 set per round, you know exactly who is holding you up, and we will announce all matches in between rounds

everyone shuts up to get their matches instead of walking around the room looking for two people

and if you cant find your opponent meet by the computer or w/e

also if it isnt food break i think we should have strict rules about leaving...aka if you dont tell big C where youre going and why then you get a loss that round

i think placings (and ties) should be determined by sets, then game record comparison (ex 10-3 > 10-4) and then if they met in tournament who won, obviously after that it would be a tie-breaker set (quite unlikely)

beyond that, if tink and dope win every single match except against each other, one might have to make an exception that the 1 seed must fight the three seed and the two seed the four seed or something similar

discretion may be needed to regulate the top seeds, i dont think you should ever fight the same person twice in those 8 sets

and i think for that reason you must seed top players before lower players

and if records dont match up exactly, the odd man out should be chosen randomly in each unequal pool of the level below

perhaps a good practice for setting up this swiss would be a fake tourney between 8 or 16 people who you know quite well and see how your predictions end up playing out

especially if tink meets dope... in the beginning?...in the end?

i think the swiss layout may turn out very accurate, but the first time could provide some conflicts we should address beforehand

BIG C

Smash Master
no one is even really coming to this its not even gonna be close to as big as the last 1. I actually have a chance at top 3.

regarding the hotel IDC when ppl get it but if you do get 1 inform tink or something so we can go there. I get out of school at 1 30 so it would preferably be after that.

Capps Indigo

Smash Journeyman
bigc, long time no see. i think i might be able to come out to this. how many people are you expecting?

ill definetely bring my cube and my camera if i come.

BIG C

Smash Master
I'll edit the first page when u gimme the rules.

Capps sowehere between 20-40 ppl hopefully.

The venue has been changed back to the XG store address will be posted on the first page. Ande here. Location:
Address:
2596-5 Portage Mall
Portage, IN 46368

Jazzness

Smash Ace
i also plan to do the whole "on deck" strat for people that dont get on the first round of TVs, so it runs smooth.
That's a very good idea ... is it possible to get like the manager of the place or someone who can call out matches pronto?

I figure that the players will mostly be busy with their matches.

Tapion013

Smash Lord
You guys make it seem like on-deck have never been done before. haha
IT HASN'T! WHEN I WAS IN ROUND ROBINS I WAS NEVER WATCHING A NOOB PLAY ANOTHER NOOB BECAUSE I WAS WAITING FOR MY MATCH NUH UH, I ENJOYED EVERY SECOND OF THE 5 MINUTES OF NON-STOP ROLLING ACTION! THE HEADACHE AFTERWARDS WAS ALSO FROM HAPPINESS!

lol, okay that was fun. Rick I see why you do it now.

Jazzness

Smash Ace
Nice, Tapion (:

Mathos, I've never seen on-deck, except maybe at MLG Chicago. Then again, I don't get to attend a lot of events I want to. In most areas around Chicagoland, there is no management-table to call out matches or on-deck, since the people running the show are also in the tournament. Most players just walk up and check their own matches on the computer (which I don't think should be allowed).

BigC, I think this tournament will be awesome, regardless of how many people show up. You're trying out a much different format, so maybe we should look at this as sort of a test-run to see how people react to the stage set 'n whatnot.

Also ... Jiaaaaaanooooo!!

- Mike

BIG C

Smash Master
yea that's basically what we're using it for. As far as going to check matches on the computer I normally had someone at the computer collecting data. But, I don't see it being a big deal in brackets because normally it would be something obvious like if I beat tink first round and he didn't have to play anyone til loser's finals.

In RR's I would agree, in swiss I would not bcuz you want the best record you can get to ensure that you get to the bracket. And who you beat doesn't matter in swiss just how many people and by how many 2-0's and whatnot.

Tink

Smash Hero
hotel info for people that are going there with us. ALSO, people that plan to go to the hotel, please post what time your comming!!! i dont want me and big c to be there at like, 3pm if people arnt getting there till like, 10 <_<.

should be a map <_<: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...te=IL&zipcode=60438-6020&country=US&geodiff=1

address incase its not:
17356 South Torrence Ave,
Lansing, IL 60438, US

Edit: ALSO, EVEYONE BRING CUBES!!!! THIS IS CANT STRESS ENOUGH, WE HAVE TVs, BUT NOT ENOUGH CUBES. BRING CUBES!!!

Jazzness

Smash Ace
Tink -- I don't have the money no more to go on the hotel thing. I'll most likely be sleeping in a car over at Kankakee and driving up on Saturday morning ):

mathos

Smash Champion
I believe every FC has used on-decks, and I recall SMYM3 having on-deck as well. But oh wells no biggy.

Tink

Smash Hero
pshhh...thomas comming in here trying to stir things up :p.

jazzness, sux mangs. the hotel was gonna be really cheap to with everyone comming.

BIG C

Smash Master
Ok guys her's the deal for reg at the place paying and whatnot. you're gonna give the guy at the counter 5 dollars for the cover that is it. money for the tournies will come to me i will have a lockbox. and will be keeping track of entrants.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
IT HASN'T! WHEN I WAS IN ROUND ROBINS I WAS NEVER WATCHING A NOOB PLAY ANOTHER NOOB BECAUSE I WAS WAITING FOR MY MATCH NUH UH, I ENJOYED EVERY SECOND OF THE 5 MINUTES OF NON-STOP ROLLING ACTION! THE HEADACHE AFTERWARDS WAS ALSO FROM HAPPINESS!

lol, okay that was fun. Rick I see why you do it now.
you FINALLY passed the course. congradulations.

Hank McCoy

Smash Ace
Ok guys her's the deal for reg at the place paying and whatnot. you're gonna give the guy at the counter 5 dollars for the cover that is it. money for the tournies will come to me i will have a lockbox. and will be keeping track of entrants.
actually. they will be coming to me since me and drew will be running the swiss. :(
Nice, Tapion (:

Mathos, I've never seen on-deck, except maybe at MLG Chicago. Then again, I don't get to attend a lot of events I want to. In most areas around Chicagoland, there is no management-table to call out matches or on-deck, since the people running the show are also in the tournament. Most players just walk up and check their own matches on the computer (which I don't think should be allowed).

BigC, I think this tournament will be awesome, regardless of how many people show up. You're trying out a much different format, so maybe we should look at this as sort of a test-run to see how people react to the stage set 'n whatnot.

Also ... Jiaaaaaanooooo!!

- Mike
just ap icky thing, but this was me and drew who came up with all of the changes. bigc just stole it.

BIG C

Smash Master
FTR this is rick and drew's rule system for swiss and they are the ones who convinced me to go to OC2 stages.

rules are updated for swiss. thats about it.

Sliq

Smash Master
Have you guys mentioned the midwest honor society? I was lead to believe that this would be starting at Huge Johns.

Top Bottom