• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How well you think the game will score with the critics?

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I presume something around 9 out of 10 this time.
With the critics praising the amazing roster and level of polishment of the game, and the faster and improved gameplay over Smash 4, and the ammount of stages and music. But with mixed opinions on the singleplayer Spirts mode (that will not be quite the campaign mode people always wanted), and complains about the lack of dedicated servers for the online matches, that will affect the performance of some matches and will not justify the price we pay for the Nintendo Online system.

But also, I think we can imagine that some reviewers are used to ignore the problems of some Nintendo games, and Smash is one of these games that "have a pass" with problems, mistakes, or bad decisions.

For example, Smash 4 is a great game, but it lacked campaign, dedicated servers or any good singleplayer game mode. And it just got an almost perfect 9.8 on IGN, and a lot of almost perfect scores in many websites, and it ended with a global score of 9.2 on Metacritic.

I expect something similar, but I think that this time some reviewers will be a bit more vocal with these problems and lack of basic features, making the final score closer to 9. Or maybe they will just ignore these problems and look to all the content the game provides and give scores closer to 10... anything can happen...

Last edited:

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
The game is loaded with features and characters. You just don't get that out of games these days. Endless playability as well. It will score very high.

Peachach

Smash Cadet
The game is loaded with features and characters. You just don't get that out of games these days. Endless playability as well. It will score very high.
Agreed. It seems like it's not ultimate in terms of content, but also a refined and honed gameplay, drawing lessons from all previous versions. We're gonna see lots of 95-100 scores IMHO.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Reception could be mixed if you take into account the lack of solo game modes. However, even back in Smash 3DS / Wii U, how often would people play Special Orders, Target Blast, Home-Run Contest, or Multi-Man Smash?

Also, the lack of control configurations could drop the overall score a bit further, along with how a lot of Final Smashes are now just Blue Falcon copycats.

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Reception could be mixed if you take into account the lack of solo game modes. However, even back in Smash 3DS / Wii U, how often would people play Special Orders, Target Blast, Home-Run Contest, or Multi-Man Smash?

Also, the lack of control configurations could drop the overall score a bit further, along with how a lot of Final Smashes are now just Blue Falcon copycats.
There are no control configurations in smash ultimate? Where did you get this information from?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
But with mixed opinions on the singleplayer Spirts mode (that will not be quite the campaign mode people always wanted), and complains about the lack of dedicated servers for the online matches, that will affect the performance of some matches and will not justify the price we pay for the Nintendo Online system.
I think the mixed opinions for Spirits comes from those who didn't get what they hoped or expected because they were led on by certain people who claimed Spirits was going to be like SSE. That's not the fault on the developers, but of those who are gullible.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Assuming World of Light isn't a total dud, it'll score extremely well.

Compare this roster to any other fighting game on current consoles and it's really hard to complain about content. Reviewers tend to not be fighting game experts and judge a fighting game more on its content and polish than merits as a fighter. So the review scores really come down to A) how does World of Light/Spirits compare to previous entries' Stadium modes, and B) is the game completely polished and running well (which considering it's Nintendo/Sakurai, we can almost certainly assume it will)?

I have a hard time seeing it get below a 9 on metacritic.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There are no control configurations in smash ultimate? Where did you get this information from?
I didn't see anything about modifying the controls on the last Smash Direct, and when viewing the fighter details, their special moves state that the B button is used.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
To be honest, single-player experiences suffer from Awesomeness Withdrawal at best, but multi-player content is usually everlasting. A lot of game reviews tend to focus on narrative structure and stories, or some other form of engagement to keep 1 person interested. When a game fails to deliver on that front, it usually gets deduction in some amount, which is unfortunate. Gameplay comes first, in my opinion, and games that excel at one field should be judged for it over trying to see if it meets both ends.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Honestly, the only critics that wouldn't give it a 10/10 are people who aren't happy their most wanted isn't in. We'll have to use Assassin't Trophy on them.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Remember: a game's quality is based entirely on the roster, and not the gameplay or other features.
Might as well, since roster is largely important. But other features such as Spirits/WoL and better online should be taken into account.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
+Roster and stage list is plain bonkers
+Large graphical upgrade from Wii U
+Mechanics are sharpened to near perfection
+Sustainable single-player with complexity
+Another soundtrack king of this generation

-Lack of new stages
-Side-scrolling adventure levels are absent
-Peer to peer online is not Sony/Microsoft level

I think it will see lots of 10s, probably nothing beneath a 9. These reviewers are so busy with playing other games that they don't have time to obssess over newcomers and get salty about ATs.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Honestly, the only critics that wouldn't give it a 10/10 are people who aren't happy their most wanted isn't in. We'll have to use Assassin't Trophy on them.
dang we get assassin trophys? now I know what to do if steve gets in.

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
Probably pretty well, for all that it matters. It's the potential review bombing that generally pops up around releases like this that I'm looking forward too.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
probably high 80s, low 90s, I can see the see some points being docked over single player content the way it looks right now.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I can expect Jim Sterling giving it a 6-7. But outside of that, everyone else will be giving the game at least 9/10.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Yar it'll get 9's and 10's but won't be up for any GOTY awards (aside from my channel, no way I don't give this game GOTY lol #spoilers), not with games like Red Dead and Spider-man

Mimic88

Smash Cadet
Based on what we've seen so far, probably a 9/10. Looks like it will be a beautiful game but I can't help but think there's a lot we don't know.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Most reviewers judge by a specific set of criteria: Presentation, Gameplay, Replayability, Content, Music, and ever subjective thing called Fun, among other things. Usually reviewers judge games from the experiences they've had from games within the past few years, but Smash might be an exception and judged on the merits of how it holds up compared to its predecessors. Its competitive merit and its mechanics in-depth will almost certainly not be a factor because reviewers need to review games and move on.

Provided there aren't any major bugs, Ultimate will probably score a lot of 9s and 9 equivalents. I can't imagine news outlets giving out very many 10s because I have no idea how Spirits will turn out, and I imagine the variance in score will almost certainly come down to how it impacts the single-player experience.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I didn't see anything about modifying the controls on the last Smash Direct, and when viewing the fighter details, their special moves state that the B button is used.
Yes, there is. I dont think you need to worry about that. The Controls button on the Options menu appears on the Direct.

And it better have the option of remove the Tap Up to Jump and allow me to invert the controls, cause I like to Jump with A or B instead of X and Y that I use to attack on the Pro Controllers. But since that these options exists since the WiiU game, I'm not worried at all, I think it will be a very complete menu just like it was on the WiiU. Not having these options would make the game unplayable for me, since I already have a strong muscular memory with this control squeme that would make me suffer too much to adapt.

The only thing that I would like that the Controls options to improve is set a default control squeme, for me to not need to add controls options to specific names and all the players of the game on my console just play the same way without need to register a name and configure the controls to this name. But if not, it wouldn't be a big deal anyway...

For example, I had some problems that I configure the controls to my name (Lucas), removing the Tap Up to Jump, I change A and B for jump instead of attack and Y and X to attack instead of jump. When a new player that never played Smash wants to play with me, I just want the other person to use the same configuration of controls as me, but if the other person doesnt have the name registered, the game will set the default controls for this person, and then I will lose time needing to register the name of the person or give the controls with the default configuration I dont like for the other person, and since the other person usually is not a player of smash, I would like to teach the person to play the way I play even for not be confused with the controls and specially the Tap Up to Jump that I think most people just dont like but it is active by default... So, I would preffer if I could set a Default Control Squeme without the need to register names, it's a bit annoying.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
L lucasla : Since I've been adapted to using the Wii U Pro Controller when playing Smash Wii U, I tend to use the following button commands.
  • A: Jump
  • B: Attack
  • Y: Special
  • X: Shield
  • L: Shield
  • ZL: Shield
  • R: Grab
  • ZR: Grab
  • Tap Jump: OFF
Those same commands were also set up for Brawl when I was using the Wii Classic Controller.

But yes, it can be annoying whenever you always have to create a new name entry to modify the game controls.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I can’t help but think the Multiplayer gets a 10/10 due to its roster/stage count and mechanical changes made to make the game better for the competitve scene. However, depending on how good the single player content is. I can see Ultimate getting atleast a 9/10. If the single player content is a lot of fun then easily a 10/10. This could go down as the greatest entry in the series. Future installments may not be able to recapture this beast of a game Ultimate has become.

Top Bottom