• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Purple Ganon ftw. Poster idea sounds cool.

I got 2nd at my tournament yesterday, lose 3-1 in WFs to Sheik, won GF1 3-0 and then lost GF2 3-2. The Sheik player cleaned up some of his bad habits and doesn't drop CGs as much anymore, so much harder to win lol. I need to work on our CG to even things up XD. I'll post vids when they're up.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
@Orah I played purple ganon when I first started and I'm playing purple currently. I played green for awhile when i went by the hulk, but i think that joke is over. I'm switching tags soon to something more serious that I can stick with. My new tag is going to be "grim" once I start playing a lot in the summer again. ****ing school and work make smash very hard to keep up with. Idk how so many people balance it all.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I lost a MM to Blea Gelo last night that prohibits me from picking default Ganon ever again. Everyone agreed it doesn't count because I was wasted drunk, but YO. I'm never picking that **** again.

Just woke up lmao

tm

Smash Ace
Lol I mean I know it's possible, it's happened to me before, but nobody I know can do it consistently. Is it a 1 frame window or something?
There's a 5 frame window for SDI if it's fresh.
so i ended up getting second at the tournament plup was at. took a game off his sheik again in winners finals and kept most of the matches pretty close. i feel like i'm slowly starting to understand the sheik matchup now. this is great progress. i also beat another sheik player named pi, used to main samus but is going the same route as plup now.

keeping momentum vs sheik is so difficult. i know it can be done though. it's not an impossible matchup anymore like i used to think it was. i can totally see myself winning by the end of the year.

I also won a $50 mm vs a pretty good falco player from the area. it was my first time ever playing a set longer than 3/5. he demanded that we play a ft5 and so we did. it was the most exhausting, intense, and exhilarating smash that i've ever played in my life. i won 5-4. adaptations left and right. what a ****ing nightmare.

i LOVE competing. it's such a rush.
yeeeeeeeessssssssssssss
so should we do like, every colour of ganondorf and then have use behind/in front of him? that'd be pretty cool actually!

gotta see if more people are down to chip in though. @ Эикельманн [РУС] Эикельманн [РУС] @ tm tm @ Divinokage Divinokage @Bizzarro Flame @Renth
I'm down ofc. Not a designer though; not sure what is a good idea or if it will look good / bad even if I think it's a good idea.
Is anybody going to EVO? I'm starting to save up the money; how much money would you guys bring to Vegas? Also, I got some nasty matches with Tipman. I'm looking to put in some serious work come June. Hopefully I can go and play you guys.
Going :)
Bring as much or as little money as you're willing to be left without lol. It's easy to spend a lot but budgeting wisely only takes a bit of discipline.
fair is now vulnerable to crouch cancels. it can be crouch canceled by pretty much every character until about 50 percent or so. characters with long normals like sheik or samus can punish it with ease. after 50, it's an actual move again. not too terrible because getting to 50 doesn't take too much, but...still pretty rough x_x
wtfffffffffffff that sounds terrible

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
yeah when i was over in europe all the people were telling me i should be happy to be playing ganon in pal because he's so much better but idk. my fairs were getting cc'd all the time and punishes were harder to execute. i guess one of the biggest advantages you have is that fox can't ko you as early and sheik can't chaingrab you. i guess that's cool.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah pal Ganon's 2 worst enemies are nerfed, but so is he. Sucks you can't stomp fox at 0% and grab. You can occasionally get jank fair > fair combos from its reduced knockback, but that's about it. I can't imagine how much we would rely on bair if pal was the only version lol.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
Yeah pal Ganon's 2 worst enemies are nerfed, but so is he. Sucks you can't stomp fox at 0% and grab. You can occasionally get jank fair > fair combos from its reduced knockback, but that's about it. I can't imagine how much we would rely on bair if pal was the only version lol.
see, this is important. i didn't know dair to grab wasn't a thing anymore. really looking for more little pointers like that.

Linguini

Smash Master
PAL is ****ing horrible for ganon. I remember I played at a tourney in france once back in 09. No knockdown off a fair at zero percent was enough for me to trip harddd.

Ian, dair grab jab regrab jab techase or no tech fair is legit. get on dat.

Last edited:

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
PAL is ****ing horrible for ganon. I remember I played at a tourney in france once back in 09. No knockdown off a fair at zero percent was enough for me to trip harddd.

yeah, i remember that. you teamed with joanna dark (falco player) and your hand was ****ed up or something during the tournament lol

also, i know about those setups for ntsc, but do they work in pal? :b

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
What are people's thoughts on gofundme? Seems basically like shameless e-begging to me.
I laugh my ass off whenever someone on facebook posts a gofundme vacation or even something legit like law school. I'm like ***** I need money too go **** yourself lol. Yea gofundme is dumb as hell.

Lol I would switch characters in PAL. No knockdown on fair? No thank you.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah I'd be a looweegy main lol.

Random but I wonder what people think puff's spot is on pal vs ntsc. Her toughest opponents all got nerfed, but I don't know if the difference would be considered negligible.

LightKaizo

Smash Rookie
Purple Ganon is the best Ganon :ganondorfmelee: Im always down to find out how much I would need to chip in. I have spare money around and Im applying for jobs recently.

N O M O R E B R O K E B O Y Z

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
what joke am i missing?
Some old argument between chudat and my brother starts with my brother reverse wizkick spiking chu 3 times in a match at a NC tourney, and then later rubbing it in chu's face when chu was being a ***** about something, so he calls him ugly, but was actually confused and he was referring to me when he said it (he had recently beaten me in tournament 2-0, but I wouldn't call it ****. It also wasn't a legit win because he flat out refused to play on my cp, brinstar, which was legal). So we basically just said **** that weird ass ***** LOL. Hilariously old nc story.

Oh, ur the ugly drunk guy who I ***** in tournament. Good job spiking me, congrats.

Last edited:

Yort

Smash Apprentice

I actually have a question regarding jab grab

Is there any way to buffer roll / DI / SDI out of jab > grab at low percents as any character? I do this alot and don't know if it's guaranteed or not.

low percent crouch cancel jabs into grabs are a huge part of my game. I'm wondering if this would suck if I went against higher level players who knew how to escape.

Also, does anyone know at what percent people can easily escape and how much weight class makes a difference in jab > grab?

tm

Smash Ace
I actually have a question regarding jab grab

Is there any way to buffer roll / DI / SDI out of jab > grab at low percents as any character? I do this alot and don't know if it's guaranteed or not.

low percent crouch cancel jabs into grabs are a huge part of my game. I'm wondering if this would suck if I went against higher level players who knew how to escape.

Also, does anyone know at what percent people can easily escape and how much weight class makes a difference in jab > grab?
lol yeah, jab -> grab is basically never guaranteed
it can be buffer rolled / spotdodged / jumped to be avoided pretty much always (any time they aren't knocked down and finish landing before your grab comes out)

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Been working hella hard lately to optimize my gameplay vs Fox. Recorded some matches of myself vs a couple of friends who played Fox vs me and I'm going through and looking at each situation and seeing what I can do better or if there's safer option I could be doing. I so badly want to get this Fox matchup down as Ganon, I'm so hungry for it. I've already written like two and a half pages of notes and I'm not even halfway in the first match of the first video. Hell when I'm done I might even just take pictures of my notes and post them here for everyone to see, as retyping all of it would be really time consuming.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
...wow. that's amazing.
Screenshot of jesse's **** talk.. lmaooooo @ "Danny mexico"

#FDM

Ian, what smash are you getting into next weekend? There are melee tournaments today, thurs, friday, and Saturday in soflo. I think sat is the VS weekly colin/plup frequent. I should be there

Attachments

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Lol yeah you really caught me off guard with that one holy **** haha

@Locke I'd like to hear these fox notes!
They're more notes on how I can optimize my play in general, but there are a lot of Fox-specific tidbits in there and I'll be adding more. I'm definitely not nearly done but I'll absolutely be posting it when I am done. I'm estimating the notes to take up at least 7 pages or so haha. I don't have a whole lot of time cause I'm studying for exams but I should continue working on it this afternoon once I'm mostly done with my work.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Cool, I'd like to see your views on approaching neutral game. You have such a better understanding of melee now than you did when I first met you, it's crazy really. That dedication

Last edited:

Linguini

Smash Master
Yort, Jab---> grab is escapable but you'd be surprised how many high level players get caught by it. Don't hit in between the grab into a quick dthrow to throw off their reaction time and get that other grab. Jab grab is best utilized after a low percent pop up stomp or another grab.

Yo dayve, i'll see you at at that tourney saturday. Partying hardy the night before to celebrate finals ending so hopefully won't be too hungover lmao

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Cool, I'd like to see your views on approaching neutral game. You have such a better understanding of melee now than you did when I first met you, it's crazy really. That dedication
Word. Wasn't that like a year ago at Gofg's place for his 21st birthday? Damn what a memorable night. I feel like I've come a long way since then. I remember when Jesse told me that I need to learn to cover options better and I wasn't really understanding it back then. I totally get it now, and I'm even applying it in numerous occasions. :)

Loving @ L Linguini dropping the tidbits of info even if he is retired haha. I hope you'll be around for CEO man, I'd really like to chill with you and everyone else in Florida. I haven't gotten to legitimately hang out with Florida people and I don't want to miss that opportunity this summer.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Just went to watch Triforce of Power on youtube. They muted the music because of copyright bs; would anybody be willing to restore the video with higher quality and with original music intact?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Just went to watch Triforce of Power on youtube. They muted the music because of copyright bs; would anybody be willing to restore the video with higher quality and with original music intact?
I'm not sure how I'd be able to up the quality, but if I'm bored, I could probably restore it with the music. I'm pretty sure I know all of the songs (there were only like 3) **** youtube and their copyright bull****.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I'm not sure how I'd be able to up the quality, but if I'm bored, I could probably restore it with the music. I'm pretty sure I know all of the songs (there were only like 3) **** youtube and their copyright bull****.
Yeah it would be hard to up the quality, maybe Tipman might have the original format on his computer or something; I'll have to ask him when I see him next time. Youtube is ****ing with history right there and its making me salty.

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yort, Jab---> grab is escapable but you'd be surprised how many high level players get caught by it. Don't hit in between the grab into a quick dthrow to throw off their reaction time and get that other grab. Jab grab is best utilized after a low percent pop up stomp or another grab.

Yo dayve, i'll see you at at that tourney saturday. Partying hardy the night before to celebrate finals ending so hopefully won't be too hungover lmao
Thats because these players refuse to spot dodge or roll so itll work a lot. Jab to delay Dair is pretty mean too lol.

Top Bottom