• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Renth

Smash Hero
Need to make one more Ganondorf video before I stop playing, I still got some things I need to show off.

-ace- I need to borrow you

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Need to make one more Ganondorf video before I stop playing, I still got some things I need to show off.

-ace- I need to borrow you
It's gonna be tough for me, I'll be going to Georgia July 9th and after that I don't know. Depends on what with dictates. If I can get to Gainesville I'll hit you up in a heartbeat. I love recording ****. Had I gotten some recording equipment the world would've seen the gnarliest Ganon compilation ever from the top 1% of what spider_sense and I did to each over the past year.

Last edited:

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Disappointed. I really wanted to commit to smash this summer. But life has gotten in the way once again. I guess I can look forward to Shine in August at least.

The other thing I wanted to say was that I'm trying to travel this summer. I'm definitely going to Chicago and maybe Seattle--that's still up in the air. PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle you gonna be in the area in August? I think I'm gonna try to make a tournament up there, but I'd also love to have sesh and just talk Ganon stuff. And if there are any Ganons around Seattle, I'd love to meet ya too.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle you gonna be in the area in August? I think I'm gonna try to make a tournament up there, but I'd also love to have sesh and just talk Ganon stuff. And if there are any Ganons around Seattle, I'd love to meet ya too.
I'll more than likely be in the area, unless I'm traveling at an unfortunate time. I'd love to have you here though! The good thing about Chicago is that there are plenty of tournaments you can attend (like 3 weeklies of 50+ attendants) and then there's a monthly called Rubicon that features a top 50 player (we've had westballz, druggedfox, silent wolf, wizzrobe, hugs, colbol, lucky, s2j, laudandus, a few more off the top of my head, and then I'm trying to push for n0ne.).

The housing situation is iffy because I'm not exactly sure where I'll be living at that point, but if I have a place, you're more than welcome to stay with me, depending on how many people you're traveling with.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Does a Discord channel for Melee Ganondorf exist? If not, is it alright if I made one and shared it with the community?

Diosama

Stand User
Does a Discord channel for Melee Ganondorf exist? If not, is it alright if I made one and shared it with the community?
Wouldn't be a bad thing, but a lot of discord/r&d groups are dead. We're fortunate enough to at least have active forums. Discord would be cool for voice chat tho.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It probably works on falcon on PS platforms, well as the lowest/second lowest plats on FoD for all 3 fastfallers. Nowhere near practical though.

Waldoring

Smash Cadet
It works on spacies + falcon with utilt and Warlock Punch using the teeter cancel on Yoshi's (also FoD). Warlock Punch also works on missed (standing) tether grabs.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Downthrow into side-B on FFers is pretty damn good.. maybe not vs Falco though, **** his roll. lol I can't imagine doing the CG from 0%.
Side-b works fine on Falco, just dash until you're right next to him (almost on him) before you input it and you'll cover the 3 options. But the uthrow trap on plats actually covers all options, ava if they DI behind you regrab and they're trapped again. Basically guaranteed edgeguard opportunity once you grab fox/falco/falcon anywhere 55-85%.

Last edited:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Side-b works fine on Falco, just dash until you're right next to him (almost on him) before you input it and you'll cover the 3 options. But the uthrow trap on plats actually covers all options, ava if they DI behind you regrab and they're trapped again. Basically guaranteed edgeguard opportunity once you grab fox/falco/falcon anywhere 55-85%.
Alrighty, I'll make note of that vs Falco but can you really dash fast enough after the downthrow from 0%?

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Alrighty, I'll make note of that vs Falco but can you really dash fast enough after the downthrow from 0%?
No, full DI at 0% escapes the optimal option coverage iirc. Not sure at what percent it starts at. Probably starts sooner from uthrow. Of course they can DI farther away when they DI uthrow away vs dthrow, but one good thing is that hard reads on techroll away work better on uthrow. Even a lot of good players associate DI'ing uthrow away into techroll away as safe, even at percents where you can cover it with fair.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I'll more than likely be in the area, unless I'm traveling at an unfortunate time. I'd love to have you here though! The good thing about Chicago is that there are plenty of tournaments you can attend (like 3 weeklies of 50+ attendants) and then there's a monthly called Rubicon that features a top 50 player (we've had westballz, druggedfox, silent wolf, wizzrobe, hugs, colbol, lucky, s2j, laudandus, a few more off the top of my head, and then I'm trying to push for n0ne.).

The housing situation is iffy because I'm not exactly sure where I'll be living at that point, but if I have a place, you're more than welcome to stay with me, depending on how many people you're traveling with.
Don't worry about the housing. My brother is living in Chicago at the moment so I've got that covered. I appreciate the offer, though. I'm mostly going out there for him so I will limiting my smash time out there to a single sesh and a tourney.

I'll let you know when the exact dates are finalized. I'm gonna join your scene's fb page, look at the events, and try to schedule my time in Chicago around one.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Downthrow into side-B on FFers is pretty damn good.. maybe not vs Falco though, **** his roll. lol I can't imagine doing the CG from 0%.
Well, no one will ever be able to on reaction so don't worry about it lol

I think the real question is when to use the uthrow trap. Sure, you get a guaranteed uair. But even at relatively high percents, the edgeguard is far from guaranteed. Especially these days when even mid level players are doing crazy shortens and other shenanigans to recover. If you land a stomp or a side-b, though, you stand a much better chance of getting the kill. But you pay by only covering 3/4 options and losing positional advantage if you miss. But then again, spacies have many ledge options, so it's hard to say what that's even really worth.

Aside from basic percent logic, I think it's a matter of whether you have a stronger read on recovery habits or tech/DI habits. If it's the former, the uthrow trap is a better bet. The latter, and the various multiple option tech chase moves plus stomp make more sense. But what if you have an equal read on both? Or you have a read on neither? Those are both things I've been thinking about for a long time and still have no answer to.

Swagic

Smash Journeyman
****, I messed around with Falco for a few hours today and I can get the right shorten somewhat consistently. I was kinda kidding about that true combo to utilt, but DAMN I'm remembering those.

If you have a read on neither, recoveries are a lot easier to react to (at least, up-b recoveries are), but if they're below about 50%, I personally will almost always go for the extra damage. Above that, and they're two hits from death anyways.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
There are a lot of things we could experiment with. lh uair regrab would also cover shorten, for example. You get the uair hitbox way farther out than it would be from the stage or from a regular lh uair.

But at the end of the day I wonder what the odds actually are for Ganon in edgeguard situations if he covers the most options possible. He certainly can't cover everything. But if it's better 0.75 probability, that'd be sweet

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Yeah but lh uair regrab doesn't actually cover the normal side-b that well. Uair has to be spaced well and you can really only put the uair in one particular spot when you're going for the regrab.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Dair is only really disjointed at the bottom of Ganon's boot, more so at his heel. You can't expect the upper part of his body to win exchanges vs many moves, even with good timing you'll trade often and miss the edgeguard if they mc (and that's if they actually go offstage, they'll land onstage occasionally). I really think edge cancelled uair or bair from a backjump, moonwalk, etc would be best. Tough to do on command though.

Top Bottom