• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Well my shift manager just said he was fully staffed for the doubles I was supposed to work, so I can get in some decent sleep and be down to play whenever -ACE- -ACE- hits me up. PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle How was playing at Tipman's? I bet you won't have any more PR problems after you play him and Dave. Anyways, gonna go on hiatus for a while after I get some games with Joe. Maybe he might rekindle this king's flame.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Well my shift manager just said he was fully staffed for the doubles I was supposed to work, so I can get in some decent sleep and be down to play whenever -ACE- -ACE- hits me up. PseudoTurtle PseudoTurtle How was playing at Tipman's? I bet you won't have any more PR problems after you play him and Dave. Anyways, gonna go on hiatus for a while after I get some games with Joe. Maybe he might rekindle this king's flame.
Once you see the kind of **** ganon is capable of today, you'll be begging me to teach you what's good ;)

Man how is westballz gonna get his salty run back if you're on hiatus?

Parks

Smash Cadet
So this tournament I'm attending on Saturday will be my first serious tournament since Big House, and it will also be my first time on stream since Big House. It's been 6 months now. Crazy how time flies.

Can't wait to style for you guys.
since your such a great ganon I was wondering do you use a for u-air?

Parks

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna have fun 4 stocking you. Starting ****
oh hi Ace, its me the one from the first time playing melee thread. As you can see I am a fox main but might be switching to ganon as I recently unlocked him and wanted to main him from the start. Since your also a good ganon could you awnser my question about whether or not I should use a for up air

Parks

Smash Cadet
could anybody give me a list of moves that should never or very rarely be used

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Everything has a possibility to be used. It's really more about knowing when to use what move.

I most situations, utilt and Warlock Punch have little use, but can be used for some awesome reads.

DCW

Smash Apprentice
You should never use neutral B or utilt, except to punish missed rests by Jigglypuff.

Down B, Side B, Up B (as an attack out of shield), and smash attacks should be used in moderation.

Your staple attacks should be your aerials, jab, f-tilt, and d-tilt.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Utilt is much better for punishing rests as it has much more knockback at low and medium percents. The benefit of warlock punch is that you can start it mid-air. EX: If you get rested and Amsah tech, you won't have time to utilt but you can definitely warlock punch.

Parks

Smash Cadet
this is by far the best thread on this site, answers come almost always within 30 minutes

Parks

Smash Cadet
sorry for double post but I was wondering is spotdoge good, I never spotdoge at all

WoK_a^2

Smash Rookie
Hey so a couple of random questions.

For edge guarding any character sweet spotting the ledge from below, what if you ran off stage and did a tipman that hit them under the stage (on like FoD, Poke, FD kinda, Dreamland, and BF) I feel like characters such as marth or peach don't have protection on the other side of them so the up air could be safe? and then they can't grab the ledge reversed so we would ahve a whole stock to get back.

Can every waveland turn into a moonwalk? I know moonwalks aren't optimal at all. But lets say you waveland forward going ot the right, if you input the moonwalk to the left from the waveland it should work right?
Not the most applicable thing, but since i like to space/approach with (autocancelled) bairs this would give quick movement and allow me to be backwards while closing space still.

Last thing is nair OoS? any applications? Comes out a frame slower than Uair but double hit box in front of you for better coverage? plus you could drift/fastfall to space the second hit further away?

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
only ever use up tilt and warlock punch to punish rest or shield breaks. no, don't use them to edgeguard. no, don't try and "go for the hard read" or else you'll get destroyed.

also just don't use down-b until you've got a good idea of how to do stuff from the ledge or how to screw people over for grabbing too much.

fsmash is pretty bad and doesn't have many uses so don't use it unless you know.

that's about it.

also, spotdodge is situational. it can actually be used to punish peach dsmash quite reliably. otherwise no. not good. roll is very very good though.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Random tips

A good pivot bair out of dash:

:GCR: (DASH)

:GCL: (Actual Pivot) Go all the way to the notch, then immediately....

:GCDL: (finishes pivot) then.....

:GCX: + :GCR: (Analog jump for approaching bair)

:GCA: (BAIR) easier than c-stick.

Optional :GCL: to commit less with the bair

:GCD: (fastfall) for auto cancel and hitting short characters. This is crucial.

^^ if you do this correctly (gravy method) you'll have another great tool for your neutral in dittos. But really any matchup. It works so well. Once you get it right it's so fast you can't even see the turn really.

Also this is one time I never use c-stick for aerials.

Parks

Smash Cadet
only ever use up tilt and warlock punch to punish rest or shield breaks. no, don't use them to edgeguard. no, don't try and "go for the hard read" or else you'll get destroyed.

also just don't use down-b until you've got a good idea of how to do stuff from the ledge or how to screw people over for grabbing too much.

fsmash is pretty bad and doesn't have many uses so don't use it unless you know.

that's about it.

also, spotdodge is situational. it can actually be used to punish peach dsmash quite reliably. otherwise no. not good. roll is very very good though.
interesting, I used to have a roll problem then stopped cause I was getting punished lots. What situations is it most useful for?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
P Parks you need to roll forward sometimes when an opponent crosses you up with an approach you just shielded, or roll backwards sometimes when someone fully spaced an approach on your shield. That's a big chunk of it.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I proved it here a few pages back and I'll say it again. Fsmash is a guaranteed way to kill Sheik out of dthrow on all stages, especially if you angle it up. You can kill her up to 20% earlier than usual sometimes.

Also I get accidental fsmashes when I'm trying to ftilt on opponents of all skill. I think it sucks, but maybe it has decent situational use.

Last edited:

Parks

Smash Cadet
i'll probably be posting here more so if anybody wants to call me anything call me parks. I'm not Asian or anything and that is my real first name.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
X WaNtEd X X WaNtEd X explain how it kills on DL64
I'm mobile so I can't easily find it. But if you go back a few pages, I made images using IKneedData showing the minimum percents fsmash kills on all stages from all positions for optimal DI and expected DI. DL obviously required the highest percent, but it was still within CG range

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ohhh, X WaNtEd X X WaNtEd X I thought you meant from a cg, cause I know even at 90% fully fresh dthrow to up-angled fsmash won't kill on that stage.

What does highest up-angled percent mean? It stops reaching after that percent (whiff)?

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
For edge guarding any character sweet spotting the ledge from below, what if you ran off stage and did a tipman that hit them under the stage (on like FoD, Poke, FD kinda, Dreamland, and BF) I feel like characters such as marth or peach don't have protection on the other side of them so the up air could be safe? and then they can't grab the ledge reversed so we would ahve a whole stock to get back.
It can work situationally. You have to hit them at the perfect time usually. I've used it but I don't recommend it really because I can't adequately explain when is best.

Can every waveland turn into a moonwalk?
Yes. You have to be faster with a backwards wL into moonwalk because you don't have to account for the smash turn, as you're already facing the appropriate direction. It's ideal to slow your timing ever so slightly when doing a forward wL to essentially pivot moonwalk. This is actually a big thing that gets overlooked. Anything that involves a pivot changes the timing for stuff. It's most easily seen with dash +jc grab versus backdash +jc grab imo.

Last thing is nair OoS? any applications? Comes out a frame slower than Uair but double hit box in front of you for better coverage? plus you could drift/fastfall to space the second hit further away?
Yes, it has uses, but they are super rare. Sometimes you have a really good use for the nair hitbox but usually no.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I feel like Nair to get out of combo's is underused as well as it is dumb
I'll agree, but only if you are very familiar with the initial hitbox of the uair and absolutely know it'll miss. Uair is a frame faster and (more than) usually better. But if you know either will work, and the first hitbox of nair will create a techchase opportunity, then by all means use it.

Edit: fixed typos

Last edited:
Top Bottom